Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter Seven

I like voting for strange out-of-towners as much as the next guy, but the Captain makes a good point that the Communist spies were here before he arrived. It's strange to think that one of us has been a Communist spy this whole time, as we searched for clues and tried to piece things together...

You know, the one person you'd think should be helping us the most, really hasn't helped at all. In fact, I haven't heard a peep out of him in far too long. So where is the HUAC Investigator, hmmm?

Vote: Matt Liebenston, HUAC Investigator (Dragonator)

You are the chief... sir. default_hmpf.gif

Chief: head; a person who is in charge.

Chef: a professional cook. :wink:

Chief: head; a person who is in charge.

Chef: a professional cook. default_blink.gif

default_blush.gif Um....Uh... hows that apple pie coming?

Vote Count:

Stevie Jefferson (Legonater): 2; (Capt. John Paul; Captain Genero)

Captain Ted Harding (Capt. John Paul): 4; (Legonater; def; cralegoboy; CallMePie)

Matt Liebenston (Dragonator): 1; (iamded)

"I'm not sure about this." The Congressman says.

Councilman Ackerson, could you tell me just who you were doing the horizontal hustle with last night? Yes, that's right, I heard you and believe me, I don't know how the whole town didn't. All that squishing and banging and squeaking and then I turned down the tv and heard the two of you! So, spill it, Councilman, just who were you with and why aren't you a little more concerned with the current situation and a little less concerned with the little councilman in your pants? :hmpf_bad:

You know, the one person you'd think should be helping us the most, really hasn't helped at all. In fact, I haven't heard a peep out of him in far too long. So where is the HUAC Investigator, hmmm?

At the same time, I can't argue with this logic.

But I still want an answer, too...

Fine.... no voting out "innocent" families, even ones who have commies interested in them.

unvote:Stevie Jefferson

But I'm wondering about what others have said.

Vote: Matt Liebenston,(Dragonator)

P.S. I'm not a commy, I'm here to try to make a living, *cough, cough*capitalism*cough, cough* So I think I'm not suspicous just for throwing an accusation at people who have some weird stuff going on at their house. And so you think I'm the killer targeting families? Some of my people died too you know.

Councilman Ackerson, could you tell me just who you were doing the horizontal hustle with last night? Yes, that's right, I heard you and believe me, I don't know how the whole town didn't. All that squishing and banging and squeaking and then I turned down the tv and heard the two of you! So, spill it, Councilman, just who were you with and why aren't you a little more concerned with the current situation and a little less concerned with the little councilman in your pants? :hmpf_bad:

Do you live near him, then? He's admitted that Dolores visited him last night. I'd like to hear Dolores' side of the story but I agree this situation is troubling in so many ways.

Wow, a lot seems to have happened last night. Will, what time did you say you and Mrs. Jefferson met at last night?

Or did Patrick, Stevie or Gloria happen to note the time that she left the house?

Do you live near him, then? He's admitted that Dolores visited him last night. I'd like to hear Dolores' side of the story but I agree this situation is troubling in so many ways.

"James, the three of us have been living in the same building for years..." Dieter says.

"James, the three of us have been living in the same building for years..." Dieter says.

Sorry, must have been all those hits to the head that I've had, neighbor.

I am afraid I have no idea what time Dolores left for the house.

I think this will help the town the most:

Vote: Matt Liebenston,(Dragonator)

I am afraid I have no idea what time Dolores left for the house.

Ah well, I was hoping.

Well, I have a few things to say. This is going to take a while, so bear with me.

When Congressman Bob first told me that HUAC was sending an investigator from Washington, I asked "Why". I knew the good people of Alabatha, and knew that we were smart enough and talented enough to find a few communists hiding in our town. But, the decision had already been made, so I welcomed Matt here. I expected him to help us root out these reds quickly. I expected him to show all the expertise and skill of a hotshot HUAC investigator, someone that could lead us to finding the clues we needed to find the Red bastards.

Instead, all I have heard from Matt Liebenston is a bunch of Grandstanding BS, a lot of "I will not rest" rhetoric, and absolutely no investigative skills whatsoever. This town would be better off without him. All he's going to do at this point is add to the body count.

But that is no proof of his guilt. Proof of his utter incompetence, yes, but not of his guilt.

What other evidence have we found? Well, there's the Laura Jefferson case. Delores, in her statement to the police, claims to have overheard Laura talking with another woman about an affair. By her own statements, 5-10 minutes later, Laura threw herself off of the Department Store roof. That would suggest that Laura was distraught, and that it was a simple suicide.

But why then did Laura's body disappear afterword? That seems to suggest something more than suicide. Like perhaps the body was taken away, to prevent a coroner from discovering some incriminating marks. Also, we have seen how difficult it is to access the roof of the Department Store. Surely, in the middle of the day, a housewife carrying a 12 foot ladder up to the third floor of the store is going to attract some attention, right? Even assuming that Laura KNEW where the access to the roof was.

But Ian, I can hear you say, she could have accessed the Department Store roof from the Firehouse. So I ask you, If she really wanted merely to end her life, why would she climb to the roof of the Firehouse, cross to the Department Store, and then jump. When jumping from the Firehouse roof would accomplish THE SAME THING?

Does anyone else find it interesting that the only witness to Laura's death, and the only witness to the alledged conversation prior to it, was Delores, a newcomer to town? And that a short time later she was wed to the widower? Or that the Jefferson household was circled on the map that we found? I certainly do.

Now, what about the fact that Laura Jefferson's body disappeared? That implies complicity with someone who had access to the body. While there are a lot of people who are not in our current group that could have accomplished this, there are five people present that also could have been involved. IF (and that is a big if) Laura Jefferson is tied to this Communist plot, then it is possible that one of those five is one of the Communists we are looking for. Those five are Nurse Parker, Doctor Lloyd, Officers Harrison and Fields, and Chief Phelps.

What about other evidence we have seen? On the second floor of the Hotel, you found a knife and a bloody rag. On the third floor, you found a bloodstain that was a few days old. Officer Fields commented that perhaps someone was stabbed that day. Tim Fields is a veteran police officer, surely he knows the difference between a bloodstain that is a few days old and one that is fresh?

While you were on the second floor of the hotel, you heard a sound of breaking glass coming from the room upstairs. And what was Chief Phelps' response? "Are we done here? Should we go to the Department Store?" Surely the sound of someone breaking glass on the floor above should have piqued the Chief's interest? Or am I way off base here.

In the third floor, the glass was lying on the floor. Everyone assumed that someone was breaking out. But that implies that the person in the room had the forethought to put a ladder up ahead of time. And why would he need to break the glass, when the window can be opened from the inside? The answer is that he didn't. Someone broke into the room from the outside, hence the reason that the glass was inside the room. Someone was taking key evidence from the room before you could get to it.

What else have we found. We have two notes, both written by the same hand. One said "I needed this. We are all on the same side here." or something to that effect. The second said "Beware the newcomers." We all assumed the notes were meant for the group as a whole. But what if it were meant for the communists in our party. Any CIA operating inside the town would have free access outside the perimeter. They wouldn't need to borrow a rifle from the town arsenal. But commie spies inside the boundary might.

And Captain Ted and Jackie were married recently, or so I assume. He did call her his "new" wife. How long had you been married again? Is it possible she was a CIA agent, brought in to observe us up close and personal? Maybe, maybe not.

And what about Chief Phelps. Since the beginning of this ordeal, he has been collecting the weapons we have found. For our safety. He promised to put them in the weapons locker. But when we actually checked the weapons locker, he "conveniently" forgot to leave any of the weapons there. Isn't that interesting? I think so. No one actually looked at the knife that killed Valerie Jenkins. I wonder if it was the same one found at the Hotel. Or at the Lighthouse.

None of this is direct proof of anything. But I thought we should get as much evidence as we can out in the open, before we make a mistake in the voting.

Instead, all I have heard from Matt Liebenston is a bunch of Grandstanding BS, a lot of "I will not rest" rhetoric, and absolutely no investigative skills whatsoever. This town would be better off without him. All he's going to do at this point is add to the body count.

But that is no proof of his guilt. Proof of his utter incompetence, yes, but not of his guilt.

Now, what about the fact that Laura Jefferson's body disappeared? That implies complicity with someone who had access to the body. While there are a lot of people who are not in our current group that could have accomplished this, there are five people present that also could have been involved. IF (and that is a big if) Laura Jefferson is tied to this Communist plot, then it is possible that one of those five is one of the Communists we are looking for. Those five are Nurse Parker, Doctor Lloyd, Officers Harrison and Fields, and Chief Phelps.

What about other evidence we have seen? On the second floor of the Hotel, you found a knife and a bloody rag. On the third floor, you found a bloodstain that was a few days old. Officer Fields commented that perhaps someone was stabbed that day. Tim Fields is a veteran police officer, surely he knows the difference between a bloodstain that is a few days old and one that is fresh?

Hear, hear. Matt hasn't really helped us so far, but like you said, it may just be his methods of doing this.

Sorry, it was a mistake. I was a little concerned about protecting the Judge and the Councilman.

I was thinking back to when we found the case file to try and boost my memory, when I realized something.

Ted Harding owns the hotel room in which we found the knife and the bloody rag.

All the notes referred to a 'Ted'. The note under the rug said 'Land at dawn,' which they did. Something tells me this isn't just coincidence, because if someone had broken in to hide the knife and rag, they wouldn't have returned the key to the room back to its place.

Ted Harding owns the hotel room in which we found the knife and the bloody rag.

All the notes referred to a 'Ted'. The note under the rug said 'Land at dawn,' which they did. Something tells me this isn't just coincidence, because if someone had broken in to hide the knife and rag, they wouldn't have returned the key to the room back to its place.

Actually, Ted usually occupies the third floor room, the one with the huge bloodstain in it. Here's what the note on the Hotel door said:

Ted-

I've got your room ready for you and your wife on the third floor as always. I'll be leaving town for awhile though, and I suggest you don't stay too long either. You know where the key is, it's in the usual spot. We're also renovating, so it wouldn't be wise to step into the cafe.

-Frank

Just for completeness sake, and to refresh everyone's memory, here are the other two notes found at the hotel (my notes actually have these word for word :tongue: ):

Ted-

If you're reading this, you've found the key outside. Sorry I had to leave in a hurry. This odd lookin' guy left too, I didn't like him. His room was on the floor below you. Anyway, your door is locked, and you've got the key. There's only two keys to the room, and I got one of them, so if you lost yours that's tough luck.

-Frank

Ted-

This is the last note I've written, as I'm writing this as I'm leaving. That...guy on the second floor he knows things, he knows lots of things. He said to be wary, because the commies have implanted themselves into our society. I know you're coming in tomorrow, and I'm giving you a warning.

-Frank

img_0436.jpg

The townsfolk stood around, in heated debate. A few of the quieter folks were sitting on the seawall. Dieter was bringing out lunch for everyone. The National Guard soldiers were talking nearby the truck. All of a sudden, six small-arms shots rang out rapidly. The townspeople ducked to the ground as the National Guard raised their weapons. However, as they looked, no one was deceased, or bleeding. Following the gunshots was the unmistakable sound of machine gun fire. However, this was all out in the distance, beyond the town.

img_0438.jpg

As the townspeople stood, confused, one thought came to their minds. What had just happened?

So it was you watching us! :angry: Er, watching us talk, that is! Erm, it was a very enthralling and vivid conversation, perhaps you misinterpreted it... :wacko: Anywhom, I've already mentioned a few times that I was with Dolores, and we were talking. Why don't you listen?

Also I'd like to ask one of the National Guard, What the hell just happened?

Oh yeah. Enthralling. :hmpf: Filled with a lot of Unhhs, and Oohhs, and mmmfs.

Can we move onto something a bit more pressing? (probably a bad choice of words there) Like what all that gunfire was about? Or who we should vote out today?

Although Will and Delores'..ahem... impropriety could be important. I'd hate for anyone to suggest that you were both Communists, meeting and plotting against the rest of us. :angry:

Also I'd like to ask one of the National Guard, What the hell just happened?

One of them speaks into a radio.

"Someone just tried to run the National Guard blockade." he says.

*Ducks and covers, thinking back to his time in the Great War.*

Harrumph. What the Hell just happened? I want some answers!

I guess in the mean time...

Unvote: Ted

This is only temporary, just in case I find a better option. Ted, my eyes are still on you.

Now, about our horrible investigator... Should we trust him? He hasn't really done anything beyond big talk, and I'm not sure if I would be willing to kill our possible investigator just yet.

One of them speaks into a radio.

"Someone just tried to run the National Guard blockade." he says.

What!?! Holds up broom in defence stance

Wow... Mayor, very impressive deduction indeed. I certainly haven't been paying that close attention as all of these conclusions have never crossed my mind. The make a whole lotta sense, though.

And what about Chief Phelps. Since the beginning of this ordeal, he has been collecting the weapons we have found. For our safety. He promised to put them in the weapons locker. But when we actually checked the weapons locker, he "conveniently" forgot to leave any of the weapons there. Isn't that interesting? I think so. No one actually looked at the knife that killed Valerie Jenkins. I wonder if it was the same one found at the Hotel. Or at the Lighthouse.

Uh, I did? I distinctly remember wanting to put them in the armory, then put them in a jail cell since it was more secure. And for the most part, I've been given weapons. And no, any weapons I have on my person I'm not giving away.

But Mayor, you make a good case. Which is why I'm going to vote for Delores. As I previously stated this morning, I thought that there might've been a love affair between Ms. Jefferson, Delores, and Mr . Jefferson. And Delores being a newcomer could definitely pass as a sleeper cell.

Vote: Delores Jefferson / def

What else have we found. We have two notes, both written by the same hand. One said "I needed this. We are all on the same side here." or something to that effect. The second said "Beware the newcomers." We all assumed the notes were meant for the group as a whole. But what if it were meant for the communists in our party. Any CIA operating inside the town would have free access outside the perimeter. They wouldn't need to borrow a rifle from the town arsenal. But commie spies inside the boundary might.

Perhaps, however, it was the CIA that was warning us. Perhaps they had already foudn the letters, and realised soemthing was going down. The one note said not to go into the cafe. Renevating doesn't seem like a good enough reason to stay out- perhaps after this chapter we vote we should head there.

Were they tryin' to get out or in?

"They were trying to break into perimeter." he says.