BigDumbWookiee

LEGO Collectable Minifigures display cases

i was thinking of gluing some flat coloured bricks on the frame (front and back)instead og painting. It give it more of a lego feel and let the frames lock together if i were to put them away.

You would have to use light colors, since Lego basic colors tend to be very vibrant and likely to take attention off from the minifigs.

Great work! Did you make these entirely by yourself, or did you buy cases from which you made these?

Now available at Toys R Us in the United States. They come in blue, yellow, red and black. $14.99 for eight compartments, $22.99 for 16. Very cool. I picked one up today and love it. Will be picking up some more soon, but I am holding out for them to arrive at LEGO Store so I can get VIP points and use my Disneyland discount (I'm also betting they will be priced lower at LEGO Stores, probably $11.99 for small and $19.99 for large is my guess).

The quality of the plastic is top notch, and the display case has a hidden release button to unlock the acrylic window. Each display also comes with a minifig included, but it's a very basic figure. No prints and not even a headpiece.

I've seen them at my own TRU here now, too, and can attest they appear to be very well-constructed, though I haven't handled one out of the shrinkwrap (and thus haven't been able to open the front, etc.).

The minifigure is indeed basic, but that's just the sort of thing I think best suited to go with these, since it can then go with all sorts of other themes.

The thing I'm most curious about is seeing how well they stack together. They certainly look like they snap together every bit as effectively as regular LEGO bricks, which of course is what we'd like. I can totally see having a section of wall space devoted to several of these stuck together, with a whole slew of minifigures in them. I don't know if I'd be able to do that given a price of around $20 to $23 apiece, but it'd be nice...

You would have to use light colors, since Lego basic colors tend to be very vibrant and likely to take attention off from the minifigs.

Great work! Did you make these entirely by yourself, or did you buy cases from which you made these?

I bought the ikea Ribba shadow boxes ($10 CAD ea.) painted the outer frame

Grabbed a bunch of paint stir sticks from home depot and cut the down for shelves.

Painted the shelves white and glued them to the inner frame of the shadow box.

I lightly glued the base plate of the figures to the shelves.

attached the minifigs

backed the frame with a piece of coloured scrapbook paper.

done.

the entire project costs around $11

just finished series 2 box.

Mine are better

bd2f5208.jpg

Looks also like a Ribba frame. My question is .. does someone know where those black minifig plates are attached on or sticked in?

Looks also like a Ribba frame. My question is .. does someone know where those black minifig plates are attached on or sticked in?

they're probably glued on the backing liner.

I bought the ikea Ribba shadow boxes ($10 CAD ea.) painted the outer frame

Grabbed a bunch of paint stir sticks from home depot and cut the down for shelves.

Painted the shelves white and glued them to the inner frame of the shadow box.

I lightly glued the base plate of the figures to the shelves.

attached the minifigs

backed the frame with a piece of coloured scrapbook paper.

done.

the entire project costs around $11

just finished series 2 box.

Thanks for explaining. :classic: Looks very good.

Collectable Minigure Display Cases

Officially Licensed Products

5444157109_2e2fcd119f_z.jpg

5444156499_51dedb1f23_z.jpg

Produced by Plast Team, an official licencee of The LEGO Group.

After 3 days of looking I found the producer :cry_happy: But thats because I recived the big one that I bought. (But no minifigure like seen on FBTB)

It's maid by Recreation plc in England, and still an official licencee of The LEGO Group.

They have also produced the tool box.

lego-carry-case-tool-box-162-large.jpg

Edited by eiker86

After 3 days of looking I found the producer :cry_happy: But thats because I recived the big one that I bought. (But no minifigure like seen on FBTB)

It's maid by Recreation plc in England, and still an official licencee of The LEGO Group.

They have also produced the tool box.

lego-carry-case-tool-box-162-large.jpg

I got the display case from Firestar toys and did a review of it here: http://bricksandbooks.co.uk/2011/review-minifigure-display-case/

I managed to pickup 2 of the large display cases from my local Mr Toys Toyworld here in Australia for AU$29.99 each. So far I have a yellow one for series 1 and a blue one for series 5 (I don't have a full set of series 2, so I went with the other series that is blue).

If anyone wants one, let me know and I can grab one for you. They just received a few boxes of them and have them in Black, Blue, Yellow, and Red. The small display cases are AU$14.99 and the large AU$29.99.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z4z4ue.jpg

Does anyone know if those cases come in the series colors or are they only available in the 4 colors I already mentioned?

Edited by Rufus
Oversized picture tags removed

If anyone wants one, let me know and I can grab one for you. They just received a few boxes of them and have them in Black, Blue, Yellow, and Red. The small display cases are AU$14.99 and the large AU$29.99.

Does anyone know if those cases come in the series colors or are they only available in the 4 colors I already mentioned?

Those are the same (only) four colors I've seen them in, and I believe they're the only ones that have been made (so far), though I don't know for sure. There doesn't seem to be any attempt to coordinate the colors here with ones used for the Minifigures packaging. The three primary colors (red, yellow, blue) do seem to be the main colors I see "extended line" and licensed storage and "lifestyle" (clocks, radios, etc.) products in. I don't see colors like orange, a lighter (medium?) blue, lime, and so on used much for such things. Then again, the inclusion of black seems a bit surprising given those patterns, so who knows.

If they just added white to the four they have now, it would give them all five of the old classic colors that used to make up virtually all LEGO elements back in the early / mid-'70s, and that made up the colors in the square frequently shown next to the logo in those days.

I've also noticed the 4x6 plates included with these cases also vary in color, being white, black or red; I don't know or remember whether there were more than those three. IIRC, though, the color of the plates in a given case is always different from that of the case itself, at least in the cases I've seen.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

i was lucky enough to pick up one of the lego large cases in complete black but since then it seems all the large cases i have seen in shops have the white base plates which i am not a fan of, just wondering if the older versions been discontinued?

i was lucky enough to pick up one of the lego large cases in complete black but since then it seems all the large cases i have seen in shops have the white base plates which i am not a fan of, just wondering if the older versions been discontinued?

Take a can of spray paint to the base plates to the color you want.

Huh - "complete black," you say... so they did release ones with plates the same color as the case after all, then? Interesting (especially since black is the color I'd least expect them to do that with).

Take a can of spray paint to the base plates to the color you want.

not quite the answer i was looking for...

Well... aren't the plates just regular 4x6 LEGO plates? If so, why not just replace the ones that come in the case with the ones you want? 4x6 plates aren't particularly hard to come by, if you don't have all the ones you need already. You can get them in Shop at Home's Pick-a-Brick in black and several other colors, for starters...

ok so first of all i happened to come across a complete black one of these cases yesterday so must be still in production but rare

second like blondie says i have come to realise the base plates can be pulled out and replaced with any color so next time if i see black case with the white base plates i be snap em up

for now at least 2 mini fig series got homes, can do with another half doz more hehe

display.jpg

Apparently BigW are selling them for $19.67, but I have rang a few stores in my area and none of them had them in stock. If anyone else sees them in a BigW store can you let me know. I need 3 more cases to complete all 5 series.

I just saw these cases for the first time yesterday afternoon on this forum and then last night I saw the cases for sale at Wal-Mart (never having seen them before either). Very peculiar indeed.

Although I do think I want to pick some up now the more I think about it. And not just for the CMFs. Maybe I'll display all of my favorite figures all around the house. Who needs to paint the walls when you can add color with minifigures!

So far in 2 weeks i have collected 4 of these in black with black baseplates. Didnt pay more than $20 for each of them, but red and yellow seem to be the more popular to stay in stock

So far in 2 weeks i have collected 4 of these in black with black baseplates. Didnt pay more than $20 for each of them, but red and yellow seem to be the more popular to stay in stock

Where did you score them from?

Where did you score them from?

all from big w elizabeth and salisbury in sa, 1 at a time though, they dont restock enough

Apparently BigW are selling them for $19.67, but I have rang a few stores in my area and none of them had them in stock. If anyone else sees them in a BigW store can you let me know. I need 3 more cases to complete all 5 series.

where you in oz exactly, big w is where i been getting mine and they still got some, blue and yellow

where you in oz exactly, big w is where i been getting mine and they still got some, blue and yellow

I'm after a blue, red, and black one. I live in south east brisbane.

These are neat, although what would be especially great is if they came in all the colors of the Minifigure packs. For that, we'd need them in Bright Yellowish Green, Bright Orange, Dark Azure, and soon, White. Would painting these containers work, or would the painted ones stick out like a sore thumb?

These are neat, although what would be especially great is if they came in all the colors of the Minifigure packs. For that, we'd need them in Bright Yellowish Green, Bright Orange, Dark Azure, and soon, White. Would painting these containers work, or would the painted ones stick out like a sore thumb?

I'm sure if you painted them with the right type of paint and enough care they'd look just fine, but I don't know if anyone would have the patience for that. These are a lot bigger than the LEGO parts that customizers tend to deal with painting!