AussieJimbo

MOD: Octan Road Train 3180

Hi All,

Here is the update to my earlier B-Double Tanker. I'm pleased to present the Octan Road Train.

I've also attempted a long nose prime mover in response to suggestions I received.

But first, in order to have a road train, you need dollies to haul the extra trailers. I found this useful reference pic on a retailer's website in Western Australia.

dolly.ref.jpg

2010 Tefco Tri-Axle Dolly

roadtrain.dolly.ref (Small).jpg

The resulting LEGO Tri-Axle Dolly.

So with the dolly design done it was time to put the road train together but there was a problem. My existing tri-axle trailer did not have adequate clearance for the dolly. This required rotating the hose reel 90 degrees and relocating the trailer support two studs back.

With that sorted it was simply a matter of adding the socket joints to the trailers to attach the dolly drawbars and I was done. Here are my photos of the completed road train and some reference pics for comparison.

roadtrain.a.side.crop (Small).jpg

roadtrain.b.side.crop (Small).jpg

ref1 (Small).jpg

From wikipedia:- Northern Territory AB-Quad tanker road train. Trailer arrangement is B-double towing two tri-axle trailers.

roadtrain.a.ref1 (Small).jpg

roadtrain.b.ref1 (Small).jpg

I haven't got around to a tri-drive prime mover yet but I think the existing rigs can handle it.

ref2 (Small).jpg

If you look carefully at this one, also from wikipedia, you can see that unlike the first pic this road train has the two trailers with dollies up front, followed by a B-Double at the end.

roadtrain.a.ref2 (Small).jpg

roadtrain.b.ref2 (Small).jpg

Here are some side-on shots of the road train components.

roadtrain.primemover.a (Small).jpg

roadtrain.primemover.b (Small).jpg

roadtrain.trailer.1 (Small).jpg

roadtrain.trailer.2 (Small).jpg

The B-Double components still in their original form and not yet compatible with the dollies.

roadtrain.dolly.1 (Small).jpg

Budget Tri-Axle Dolly.

roadtrain.trailer.3 (Small).jpg

Modified trailer with extra clearance.

roadtrain.dolly.2 (Small).jpg

roadtrain.trailer.4 (Small).jpg

As last trailer doesn't have a socket joint installed, it can still have a ladder.

And a shot of all the prime movers, tankers and dollies from above.

roadtrain.units.above (Small).jpg

Feedback and suggested tweaks welcome.

I hope you like it.

Click images for larger versions.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

I like the longnose much more than the stubby one, for one simple reason - I don't like the stacked look of the roof that you get with those wedge roof pieces on top of each other. You've got a much better roof on the cab with the longnose solution. Plus it looks very much like your reference picture.

These beasts are a fascinating Aussie phenomenon. Try driving something like that on the roads along Norwegian fjords, and you'd get stuck in no time :)

1256492-Trollstigen-Andalsnes.jpg

Edited by L@go

AWESOME 'AussieJimbo', now you are like me showing the rest of the world what's different in the land of Oz ! :grin:

The long nose prime mover is the better one to go with, excellent dolly too ! :thumbup:

These kind of truck combos travel usual between Port Augusta in South Australia right up through the Northern Territory to Darwin via Alice Springs.....if my memory serves correct ! :wink:

Excellent work 'AussieJimbo' and totally Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks LT and L@go. There are no roads like that where these things go.

I'm glad you like the new prime mover. :-)

In case you think this is a long road train, check this out:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train:

World's longest road trains

- In 1989, a trucker named "Buddo" tugged 12 trailers down the main street of Winton, Queensland.

- In 1993 "Plugger" Bowden took the record with a 525 hp Mack SuperLiner pulling 16 trailers, but a few months later this effort was surpassed by Darwin driver Malcolm Chisholm with a 290 tonne, 21 trailer rig extending 315 metres.

- There was some back and forth in the 1990s between Winton and Bourke, New South Wales, with the record finishing in Winton with 34 trailers.

- In 1999 the town of Merredin, Western Australia officially made it into the Guinness Book of Records, when Marleys Transport made a successful attempt on the record for the world's longest road train. The record was created when 45 trailers, driven by Greg Marley, weighing 603 t (1,330,000 lb) and measuring 610 m (2,000 ft) were pulled by a Kenworth 10x6 K100G for 8 km.

- On October 19, 2000, Doug Gould set the first of his records at Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, when a roadtrain made up of 79 trailers, measuring 1,018.2 m (3,341 ft) and weighing 1,072.3 t (2,364,000 lb), was pulled by a Kenworth C501T driven by Steven Matthews a distance of 8 km.

- On March 29, 2003, the record was surpassed near Mungindi, New South Wales, by a road train consisting of 87 trailers and a single prime mover (measuring 1,235.3 m (4,053 ft) in length).

- The record returned to Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, on October 17, 2004, when Doug Gould assembled 117 trailers for a total length of 1,445 m (4,741 ft). The record nearly didn't fall, as the first prime mover's main driveshaft broke when taking off. A second truck was quickly made available, and pulled the train a distance of 1,500 m (4,921 ft).

- In 2004, the record was again broken by a group from Clifton, Queensland which used a standard Mack truck to pull 120 trailers a distance of about 100 metres.

- On February 18, 2006, an Australian built Mack truck with 112 semi-trailers, 1,300 t (2,865,980 pounds) and 1,474.3 metres (4,836 ft 11 in) long, pulled the load 100 metres (328 feet) to recapture the record for the longest road train (multiple loaded trailers) ever pulled with a single prime mover. It was on the main road of Clifton, Queensland, that 70-year-old John Atkinson claimed a new record, pulled by a tri-drive Mack Titan.

Edited by AussieJimbo

That thing is loooong! Great work on this one AussieJimbo! :thumbup: I'll echo the sentiments above that the longnose truck looks much better than the other one (which is also good). The tri-axe dolly is a nice addition to your B-Double Tanker. Keep it up!

Great work on this one AussieJimbo! :thumbup: I'll echo the sentiments above that the longnose truck looks much better than the other one (which is also good). The tri-axe dolly is a nice addition to your B-Double Tanker. Keep it up!

man that thing is freaking awesome! I want one!!!

oh and nice job with the new Prime Mover too!

Thanks guys, I'm pleased the new prime mover is getting a good reception.

That thing is loooong!

Yeah, it ended up as 124 studs long. Plenty of room in the outback.

Those are very impressive, detailed models. What's a tri-drive, a prime mover with 3 drive axles?

Cheers mate. Yes, a tri-drive prime mover has three driven axles like the Shell truck in the reference picture above.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Nice Moc! Its really an improvement since last time. Then it was more like a double tanker than a road train but now it really looks good and reallistic (but i've never seen a roadtrain In Real Life) :classic::thumbup:

What a Beautiful road train!

Can't wait to see it in action.

Too bad they aren't needed here in the states.

It seems like it when I used to live in rural Nevada.

All i got to see was doubles and triples. :hmpf_bad:

Great job AussieJimbo! :classic:

Thanks, fredrik and vgsprite. I'm glad you like it.

What a Beautiful road train!

Can't wait to see it in action.

Cheers mate.

Wouldn't be great if you could bring it to life with some motors and steering but I think that's beyond Lego technology.

You may have heard of "Minature Wonderland", a massive model train layout in Germany. They have a system which controls road vehicles which travel about the streets. I'd like to look into it and see if there is any feasibility of hacking it into a Lego context.

Cheers mpec82.

Yeah, the long-nose is much more likely for hauling a road train.

However the cab-over design is quite common over here for standard rigs and B-Doubles. During my holiday travels I saw more of these than long-noses (I was nowhere near a road-train area though).

Perhaps we buy lots of Euro trucks over here. I'll have to keep a more detailed eye out next time I'm on the road.

Very impressive road train you have there my friend. As others have said, the long nose tractor looks much better than the cab over. The attention to detail is great. Ever seen this?

800px-Aust_config2.png

Might help in making future road train mocs.

I'm currently making a B-double of a couple Ferrari Scuderia transport trucks. Should be done in a day or so. Again, great work!

Excellent MOC! It is realistic and detailed. The size of it is very impressive. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

AussieJimbo, I'm glad to see you went ahead with the long-nose truck. I built a LEGO road train together with a friend of mine a few years ago and that had a prime mover based on a long-nose Ford LTL 9000 with a tri-drive. COE trucks might not be unusual nowadays -I don't know- but when I think of a road train I think of a long-nose truck based on an American design. Your model captures that look nicely.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Thanks buddy and 5150 Lego, I really appreciate your feedback.

Ever seen this?

800px-Aust_config2.png

Yeah, it's a useful graphic. There are a couple similar to example "K" that run long round trips on a private mining road in WA. It's got a powered trailer midway through the road train.

I'm currently making a B-double of a couple Ferrari Scuderia transport trucks. Should be done in a day or so. Again, great work!

Cool. I look forward to seeing that.

AussieJimbo, I'm glad to see you went ahead with the long-nose truck. I built a LEGO road train together with a friend of mine a few years ago and that had a prime mover based on a long-nose Ford LTL 9000 with a tri-drive. COE trucks might not be unusual nowadays -I don't know- but when I think of a road train I think of a long-nose truck based on an American design. Your model captures that look nicely.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks mate. That's a nice road train you've got there too. I'll have a more detailed look at it after work.

Great Road Train MOC AussieJimbo! :thumbup: Thanks for the interesting facts on them too. I've always been fascinated by these monster trucks. One question, what is the regulatory max number of trailers being pulled on non-record breaking days? :grin: Keep up the awesome work!

Kudos on the new info. Post the link of the video if you find one :classic:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Great Road Train MOC AussieJimbo! :thumbup: Thanks for the interesting facts on them too. I've always been fascinated by these monster trucks. One question, what is the regulatory max number of trailers being pulled on non-record breaking days? :grin: Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it. I guess I probably have crossed the line from MOD to MOC now, still trying to learn the rules around here.

I believe the limit on the public road (within the boundary where road trains are allowable) is four trailers (variations of H above, I'm not sure if they have to include a B-Double in the train or not).

The longer one I mentioned earlier, with an additional powerplant mid-way along (somewhat similar to K but not exactly), has 6 trailers and runs on a private mining road. I'll see if I can track down a video of it on Youtube.

Awesome job. Love the length of the road train. :thumbup: We have A+B trains over here with 53' semi-trailers and they're not too easy to pass on the highway.

I really like how the various pieces of your roadtrain match each other. Its a great build AussieJimbo

Awesome job. Love the length of the road train. :thumbup: We have A+B trains over here with 53' semi-trailers and they're not too easy to pass on the highway.

I'm in Victoria, so the south eastern more populated end of Australia, but I used to ride my motorbike to and from work along one of the freeways where the only B triples were allowed here. Those things create a huge backwash of air and riding a bike anywhere near them was exiciting, and not necessarily in a good way. However the drivers were some of the most predictable on the road. I doubt anybody but the most calm and experienced drivers get a license for a triple. They would almost invariably signal me when it was safe to pass. I think they probably got used to seeing me trying to struggle past them on my 250. I always tried to stay where I could be seen by the driver too for everybody's peace of mind.

I really like how the various pieces of your roadtrain match each other. Its a great build AussieJimbo

Thanks very much dr_spock and peterab, I'm glad you like it.

I haven't seen one in real life but I'd imagine passing them is a challenge. You'd hope the drivers are skilled and experienced.

At some stage I'll do one more build of a tanker prime mover and trailer as suggested by an earlier poster and then that will be the Octan tanker truck variations put to bed.

Edited by AussieJimbo