tppytel

Best sets for build techniques and parts?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi all! Returning to Lego here after about a 20 year absence... along with the OT on DVD, I bought my son Luke's Landspeeder (and myself an X-Wing) in Legos for Christmas. I spent many hours of my childhood building ships out of Classic Space sets and I'm floored at how much Lego building has advanced since then. While I still have fond memories of my Beta-1 Command Base and Star Fleet Voyager, they pale in comparison to what's being produced now. I've read a number of reviews on the forums here and purchased several more sets, including Slave I, the Mon Calamari cruiser, and a couple smaller sets. Since I'll need to be a bit more conservative with my purchases for a while, I'm curious what other sets folks would recommend just on the criteria of interesting build techniques and/or building a good parts pool. Since I don't plan on keeping models assembled forever, sets outside of Star Wars would be of interest too, provided they'd be useful for building Star Wars-y, sci-fi kinds of things.

Welcome to EB! Set destructor, eh? A member after my own heart. :classic:

Ever since I've done my review on it, I've raved about the Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer. It's got one simple but very nice technique hidden in its core, and it is the best cheap grey/bley parts pack in production. Along with a good assortment of wedge plates, you'll also get some Technic, some clips, the new 1x3 tiles in light bley, and the new 1x2 cheese slopes in light bley. Best part of it all? At MSRP it'll only cost you $39.99.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic. It could go in General Questions or 'What LEGO Set Should I Buy?', but I could be wrong.

I don't have lot of sets but I would reccomnd you General Grievous' Starfighter (49,99 euros on S@H Germany).

It has a lot of SNOT parts, Tiles, slopes, beautiful minifigures, printed windscreen and a lot of usable pieces.

It has 454 pieces so it's good price per piece value. :classic:

And midi sclae ISD is good to, maybe I'll buy it to, but it doesn't have any figs. :thumbdown::cry_sad:

(and I don't like OT)

(and I don't like OT)

*oh2* How could you!? Wicked man! :tongue:

General Grievous' starfighter is a good choice, the Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer is also an excellent one. The Battle for Endor is a GREAT set especially if you could find it at sale at Target or Toys R Us.

Good luck and welcome to Eurobricks! :sweet:

Edited by Flare

Thanks for all the welcomes and recommendations.

You mean there's some other way? :classic: What's the point of bricks if they're forever stuck together? I get that some people like having a lot of display pieces. I just don't really have the space or interest for it. I think I'll keep my X-Wing assembled, since that's the Star Wars ship to me, but the rest will go to the parts bin eventually. I have some Hoth and Cloud City dioramas in mind.

Ever since I've done my review on it, I've raved about the Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer. It's got one simple but very nice technique hidden in its core, and it is the best cheap grey/bley parts pack in production.

And it's on sale for half price at S@H! Er... was on sale. Now it's sold out. :angry: I really should have picked that up along with the X-Wing and Land Speeder from S@H, but I wasn't yet thinking about parts at the time. The midi-ISD is actually entirely gone from S@H now and not just "sold out" - does that mean it's gone forever?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic. It could go in General Questions or 'What LEGO Set Should I Buy?', but I could be wrong.

Since I was taking a particular angle on the recommendation and not limiting it to Star Wars sets, I thought it was distinct enough to make a new thread. Mods are welcome to move it or merge it if necessary.

I don't have lot of sets but I would reccomnd you General Grievous' Starfighter (49,99 euros on S@H Germany). It has a lot of SNOT parts, Tiles, slopes, beautiful minifigures, printed windscreen and a lot of usable pieces.

Interesting. I might check that out, especially if I can find a sale. Thanks for the recommendation - I wouldn't otherwise buy a non-OT set.

The Battle for Endor is a GREAT set especially if you could find it at sale at Target or Toys R Us.

Really? I wouldn't have expected that - could you elaborate? It seems like most "playsets" are less interesting builds, as they tend to spread their bricks across 3 or 4 different smaller, simpler items. I bought Echo Base and the Wampa Cave for my kids to play with, and they're very cute, but there wasn't really much to building them. What's interesting about the Endor set that I'm overlooking?

Decide for yourself, take into consideration, parts, ideas, minifigs, and price. Buying sets based on what you want to build is good. Use bricklink to get parts for large MOCs. Good luck :thumbup:

Edited by brickartist

You mean there's some other way? :classic: What's the point of bricks if they're forever stuck together? I get that some people like having a lot of display pieces. I just don't really have the space or interest for it.

That's my view exactly. :sweet:

I think I'll keep my X-Wing assembled, since that's the Star Wars ship to me, but the rest will go to the parts bin eventually. I have some Hoth and Cloud City dioramas in mind.

Don't tell that to falleangel327. You will receive a lecture on the inaccuracies of 6212. :tongue: (and he's right)

And it's on sale for half price at S@H! Er... was on sale. Now it's sold out. :angry: I really should have picked that up along with the X-Wing and Land Speeder from S@H, but I wasn't yet thinking about parts at the time. The midi-ISD is actually entirely gone from S@H now and not just "sold out" - does that mean it's gone forever?

I don't think so. It was only release this past Summer. Sets have an average lifespan of two years. Although some have gone as long as five (and counting) and the TX-130 was gone in under a year (but a second production run came along and changed that)

Since I was taking a particular angle on the recommendation and not limiting it to Star Wars sets, I thought it was distinct enough to make a new thread. Mods are welcome to move it or merge it if necessary.

That's why I said 'I'm not sure'. :classic:

Interesting. I might check that out, especially if I can find a sale. Thanks for the recommendation - I wouldn't otherwise buy a non-OT set.

A set destructor and an OT fan? This gets better and better. :sweet: GG's starfighter does have some good pieces, and the price isn't half bad, but the only thing in it for an OT fan is the Mon Calamari 'fig, and you mentioned having already bought the Home One. If you want techniques, I'd look around at other MOCs and read the digital instructions that LEGO provides for free. Just buy the sets you want for the pieces and/or minifigs,

Really? I wouldn't have expected that - could you elaborate? It seems like most "playsets" are less interesting builds, as they tend to spread their bricks across 3 or 4 different smaller, simpler items. I bought Echo Base and the Wampa Cave for my kids to play with, and they're very cute, but there wasn't really much to building them. What's interesting about the Endor set that I'm overlooking?

Battle of Endor is a very good set. A whopping twelve minifigs, five of which are main characters, and the other seven are pretty hard to get at the moment. Plus it does have some nice techniques and a bunch of grey pieces, not to mention the cloth, springs, other bits that are uncommon in Star Wars sets.

Ever since I've done my review on it, I've raved about the Midi-scale Imperial Star Destroyer. It's got one simple but very nice technique hidden in its core, and it is the best cheap grey/bley parts pack in production. Along with a good assortment of wedge plates, you'll also get some Technic, some clips, the new 1x3 tiles in light bley, and the new 1x2 cheese slopes in light bley. Best part of it all? At MSRP it'll only cost you $39.99.

Personally, I don't like that tactic- mainly because it fell apart once a while ago and it still doesn't look right.

That's my view exactly. default_satisfied.gif

Same here- if it weren't so I'd have a lot more compelet sets.

IMO, Battle packs are always usefull parts/minifig collecters.

Edited by The Legonater

Don't tell that to falleangel327. You will receive a lecture on the inaccuracies of 6212. :tongue: (and he's right)

I seem to have become the butt of a joke these days...

Inaccuracies aside, 6212 is just plain ugly. Even an AFOL who's never seen a Star Wars film in his life would shy from its gaps, awkwardness, and terrible attempt at integrating Technic.

A set destructor and an OT fan? This gets better and better. :sweet:

Battle of Endor is a very good set. A whopping twelve minifigs, five of which are main characters, and the other seven are pretty hard to get at the moment. Plus it does have some nice techniques and a bunch of grey pieces, not to mention the cloth, springs, other bits that are uncommon in Star Wars sets.

Agreed. And don't forget the fact that it's got some of the best play features we've seen in a while. (At least, it's not a flick-fire missile.)

I think UCS sets in general use a lot of interesting techniques as well.

Personally, I don't like that tactic- mainly because it fell apart once a while ago and it still doesn't look right.

Yeah, it's just too fat. I think the issue there is that they used Technic bricks for the core as opposed to, say, these, which I think would have allowed for a much sleeker model. But it's still nice. I like that LEGO actually made some sort of attempt at including small details like the shape of the bridge viewport.

Since you didn't mention price, I'm going to have to recommend the Death Star. Best SW set there is, and possibly being discontinued soon.

If you want techniques, I'd look around at other MOCs and read the digital instructions that LEGO provides for free.

Do you just mean the downloads for the other sets? Or is there a repository of free (and interesting) designs out there? I've seen (and been impressed by) a number of MOC's, but most don't include build instructions.

Since you didn't mention price, I'm going to have to recommend the Death Star. Best SW set there is, and possibly being discontinued soon.

Already backordered it. It's insanely expensive and really more than I should be spending right now, but my kids (and I) will have a blast playing with it. I know we'll need (OK... want) it eventually, and I've already seen what's happened to the prices on the other UCS sets. But despite dropping $400 on that, I don't really want to throw that kind of money at Legos on a regular basis.

Do you just mean the downloads for the other sets? Or is there a repository of free (and interesting) designs out there? I've seen (and been impressed by) a number of MOC's, but most don't include build instructions.

I meant the former. Sorry, should've been clearer. Some people do provide instructions for their MOCs, for example, Legostein (Christopher Deck) provides instructions for each and every one of his models, which include some stellar miniatures.

if your not bothered about sets how about Bricklink it has every piece you could ever need, far better value than butying the sets for parts.

I don't know if my question belongs here,i just don't wanted to create a new topic:

Any suggestions on(current)sets that provide good amounts of bley plates and bricks?

I don't know if my question belongs here,i just don't wanted to create a new topic:

Any suggestions on(current)sets that provide good amounts of bley plates and bricks?

Midi ISD was great for plates, some places might still be selling them.

Midi ISD was great for plates, some places might still be selling them.

thanks i already got that one! other suggestions for large plates? i just don´t wanna spend so much money on BL for plates :sceptic:

If you can afford it, get it! Also consider looking at garage sales and craigslist.

Better still: while it's on its way out (having sold out at Shop at Home, as has already been noted), I'm seeing it clearanced for $16 (!) at some Wal*marts. I'm thinking about picking up a slew of them tomorrow for the parts inventory.

Better still: while it's on its way out (having sold out at Shop at Home, as has already been noted), I'm seeing it clearanced for $16 (!) at some Wal*marts. I'm thinking about picking up a slew of them tomorrow for the parts inventory.

i wish i would live in the states just to get this set for that price! unfortunately here in germany the cheapest i saw was 35€!