Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Ninjago Training Hideout

It looks nice, but on closer inspection, there seem to be some flaws. For one thing, what's the point of it? Why are the ninjas spinning in a circle, and what are they battling? Some explanation would be nice. Also, what's with that little shrine on the roof? I like the technique you used for the stairs, but it's weird how the last step seems to be missing. And despite the use of the Ninjago figs, spinners, and promo set, this still feels a lot more like a MOC for the old ninja theme due to the color scheme and flags.

And why do you always provide only one pic of your creations? It looks like there might be some nice interior in that building on the left, but we can't see it. :sad:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

:hmpf: These are the types of comments and tone that I'd prefer people just keep to themselves, but since you've asked:

For one thing, what's the point of it? Why are the ninjas spinning in a circle, and what are they battling? Some explanation would be nice.

Is it really that difficult to understand? The Ninja enter the carousel in preparation for a duel. It spins to allow two to step onto the platform for battle. Remember, this is also meant for play like the Ninjago theme.

Also, with that little shrine on the roof?

I like it there - aside from a prominent display of the Ninjago logo, it is intended to display the prized golden katana for the ultimate victor.

I like the technique you used for the stairs, but it's weird how the last step seems to be missing.

Yes - I agree with you on this one. Because of angle/curve, I could not place a 1x2 tile on that last step. I wasn't crazy about this myself.

And despite the use of the Ninjago figs, spinners, and promo set, this still feels a lot more like a MOC for the old ninja theme due to the color scheme and flags.

Had you considered that maybe this was the look I was going for? - as I am a Classic Ninja fan first.

And why do you always provide only one pic of your creations?

Why not just ask about the interior rather than insult? If you're familar with my posting style, I spend a considerable amount of time photo-editing my creations for an introductory image, and often will post additional images later.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your delivery or tone but as a re-read your post, my thoughts are:

Please do me a favor and don't bother commenting in my topics in the future. I appreciate feedback, questions, and constructive criticism, but I take offense in your manners. As I don't know you, if you'd like me to answer your questions in the future, try asking nicely. This comes with maturity.

What piece is that door?

Thanks Baylego. The door is from 3052 Ninja Fire Fortress. It swivels in the middle and is a great piece for Ninja/Samurai creations.

Very well done NinjaGo MOC TheBrickster! I, for one, like the turning battle arena, as it fits perfectly the highly-playable nature of this theme (spinners, playing cards). The build of the hideout is very oriental-looking, nice use of those printed (or stickered?) pieces. And as always, great gob on your signature photo-edited presentation. Excellent work overall! :thumbup: BTW, are you that Shogun Master in the middle? (though in white undershirt this time) :grin:

I like it there

Best explanation ever.

I really like the concept of this, TheBrickster. It really goes well with the childish nature of the theme. I first thought of this as a NinjGo themed Merry-Go-Round, but your explanation is good too. :tongue:

So is there an interior, considering you haven't answered this.

Wow, you took my post completely the wrong way. :sceptic: I was merely trying to understand what is going on in your MOC and provide some criticism. I never meant any offense and am sorry if I sounded rude. I should have worded my post better.

Is it really that difficult to understand? The Ninja enter the carousel in preparation for a duel. It spins to allow two to step onto the platform for battle. Remember, this is also meant for play like the Ninjago theme.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that. Perhaps it's just me, but yes, I was very confused about who was supposed to battle who and just didn't get what the point of the turning platforms was. Now it makes sense to me. The turning platforms do indeed add some nice playability to this MOC and fit into the Ninjago theme (which seems to be all about spinning) very well. :thumbup:

I like it there - aside from a prominent display of the Ninjago logo, it is intended to display the prized golden katana for the ultimate victor.

Hm, I figured so, but how do they get to it when they win? Do they have to climb onto the roof, or do they perform some kind of super-ninja-jump and grab it? :laugh: I would have located the katana a little lower while leaving the stickered piece up there as sort of a sign. But perhaps you intended it to be a sort of final test for the winning ninja to figure out how to claim his prize?

Because of angle/curve, I could not place a 1x2 tile on that last step. I wasn't crazy about this myself.

You could lay the tile onto the floor underneath it so that it looks like fell down. Or maybe just try another angle.

Had you considered that maybe this was the look I was going for? - as I am a Classic Ninja fan first.

Yes, I have, but since this is intended to be a Ninjago MOC, I thought it might be a little more fitting use the black-red-white color scheme of the Ninjago sets. Just my opinion.

Why not just ask about the interior rather than insult? If you're familar with my posting style, I spend a considerable amount of time photo-editing my creations for an introductory image, and often will post additional images later.

Excuse me, but how was that an insult? I was simply asking why you choose to present your MOCs that way as it is something I have been curious about. I know that photo-editing an intro-pic can be time-consuming as I do that too sometimes, but why not present the introductory image together with the others? I'm not asking you to change your ways, just trying to understand.

Perhaps it's a little too late for that, but may I now ask if there is any interior? And if so, may we please see a picture of it?

Please do me a favor and don't bother commenting in my topics in the future. I appreciate feedback, questions, and constructive criticism, but I take offense in your manners. As I don't know you, if you'd like me to answer your questions in the future, try asking nicely. This comes with maturity.

Again, I apologize if I came across rude, it was absolutely not my intention. I will be careful if I ever comment on one of your topics again. :sadnew:

All of Oky Wan's points are valid, I didn't read any maliciousness behind the post.

And FYI, it helps to add a ton of smileys all over a post to help people understand that you're only asking questions and not trying to start something :tongue:

Wow, you took my post completely the wrong way.

Thank you for eleborating Oky and I'm sorry if I took your comments harsh. You can certainly comment on my future MOCs, even if your comments are critical.

it helps to add a ton of smileys all over a post to help people understand that you're only asking questions and not trying to start something

Funny thought for the day - just don't start adding a ton. :laugh:

great gob on your signature photo-edited presentation.

Thanks Kiel.

I first thought of this as a NinjGo themed Merry-Go-Round

You could call it that.

It it weren't for the baseplate, you'd think it was an official set!

The colours are certainly more classic ninja, but I do sometimes think I need shades when looking at the new ninja go sets!

Thanks for the MOC Brickster.

Thanks for the feedback all.

It it weren't for the baseplate, you'd think it was an official set!

That is an official baseplate Pep - from the Ninja theme.

Awesome Ninjago MOC! Looks like a real set to me :sweet:

Great MOC Brickster! It's the first time I've seen all the ninjas together and I have to say, they are an impressive sight indeed! The building is wonderfully done, I wish we still had large printed parts like that foundation.

PS: Is it just me or is that new bone piece one of the nicest molds in a while? I've found so many uses for it, and I can't wait to see it in more MOC's!

That is an official baseplate Pep - from the Ninja theme.

Oops, a little misunderstanding in rightpondian/leftpondian. What I meant was, "These days not many sets have baseplates. This MOC looks very much like an offical set, however due to a lack of baseplates in contemporary sets, it doesn't quite look like you would be able to purchase it from a shop."

I find some humour is lost in text and also when one crosses the Atlantic.

Simply stunning. I love the seamless integration of the two ninja themes.

Whoa I don't remember seeing preliminary pictures of this set.

Is it an exclusive that went under the radar?

Oh wait it's a MOC!!!

Very well done 'TheBrickster'

I honestly thought this was an official TLG NinjaGo set when I saw the cover picture.

I'd love to see some pictures of the interior if there is one.

I love your piece usage and the combination of NinjaGo and classic Ninja elements.

The printed slope pieces and the printing revolving door are charming while the colorful figures remind us it's NinjaGo.

Brickster,

As always, awesome MOC. I really like the stair detail and the use of the revolving door. I always though these style MOC's were very interesting. Excellent work! :thumbup: