ZO6

Review: 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress

On a scale of 1 to 5  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I own this set and I have mix feelings on it. For being the flagship of the series, it is a little small. The upper floor is fairly large and can hold a decent amount of figures; the lower area isn't the same. The baseplate prevents a lot of room in the lower area so you're confined to the perimeter of the dragon pit. I'm in different regarding the giant dragon head as I feel this is a fantasy set / theme so it fits in with that idea. I do like the small tower for the wizard. I really like the caped minifig with the sword, shield and plume on the helmet.

According to BrickLink, the set can be found for $55 which is a fair price.

I bought this set as a child in ca. 1997 and only built it once, then dismantle it for pieces. Almost 20 years later, with the Black Knights Castle in possession, nostalgia blowing through my head and a fondness for medieval strongholds, I decided to reconstruct this set with a friend.

"Steve" was right (brilliant blog, btw!), this set looks indeed better in the flesh. I can't stop starring at it. It's incredible to have it stand there on my table, finished, for the first time in almost 20 years. Talk about revisiting childhood!

Fire Breathing Fortress is more of a Fortress than a castle, no portcullis, no drawbridges, but a "storage place" for a dragon and a keep built on top of that. I don't mind any "juniorization", I don't see any simplisticness as at all, to be honest. Maybe the roof, but the roof looks very nice! A creamy red color, blends in perfectly with the black and grey. And the tree branches were neatly done. One of the best Lego sets ever.

A bit too many prefab bricks and not out of my mind about the giant dragon head, apart from that I like it and it has definitely some character suited in the hazy mountains and forests as clearly demonstrated by the front and back of the manual. Shame it never had a successor. 

I own it as well btw. Non 2nd hand. 

Edited by Gainn

On 1/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, Gainn said:

A bit too many prefab bricks and not out of my mind about the giant dragon head, apart from that I like it and it has definitely some character suited in the hazy mountains and forests as clearly demonstrated by the front and back of the manual. Shame it never had a successor.  

I own it as well btw. Non 2nd hand. 

As a kid, I remember Fright Knights sort of feeling like a spiritual successor to Dragon Masters/Dragon Knights. Although its architecture was quite different and building styles had changed a lot in those few years, Fright Knights had a lot of stuff that felt like darker/spookier counterparts to the milder fantasy elements in Dragon Masters: a wicked witch instead of a brightly-robed wizard, the vampiric-looking Bat Lord in place of the villainous-looking Dragon Master, and prison carriage pulled by a spooky black dragon in place of one caging a more vibrantly-colored green one.

It is kind of surprising that no more recent Castle themes have really done a lot with these sorts of brick-built dragon head motifs, though, considering how much those and various other brick-built creature motifs have flourished in other themes like Ninjago and Legends of Chima in the past decade.

Edited by Aanchir

I voted average. The box is great and I would definitely call them the dragon masters as it sounds much cooler. It's a great shame they didn't go with the idea on the back to the right as it looks much better. I never liked the dragon head it totally puts me off collecting these sets and yet I love the idea behind the dragon masters. Shame.

Now the instructions are online... maybe I can make my own replica with other classic castle set I have... and other pieces... great review!

Had this set as a kid and I think it gets a little bit of a bad rap.  Obviously it is no 6086, but nonetheless had great playability.  

Sadly, I gave it to my little brother and it disappeared into the sands of time

On 2/6/2021 at 6:43 AM, VintageLegoEra said:

Very nice and unique set! i have ordered one and will post a thread here once it arrives :)

You won't be dissapointed! Congratulations! :thumbup:

On 2/7/2021 at 6:12 PM, AViewToALego said:

You won't be dissapointed! Congratulations! :thumbup:

indeed mate!

GOt it few weeks back and it is AMAZING! So Happy :)

Cheer