BrickArtist

Pets VS. Lego

So today I was revising some MOCs, when I heard a clicking sound, and looked over to see my cat gleefully batting around a minifig head. A couple seconds later my cat picked it up in her mouth, and ran off with the head. I pursued her down a flight of stairs where she then dropped it randomly and curled up like she wanted to be scratched. Dispite my rage I laughed hysterically :laugh: . Half my clone helmets have been found in random spots throughout my house.

This isn't the only was my collection has been affected though, MOCs have been destroyed (To an unrepairable state), Bins have been peed in :sick: this is the worst IMO

I only realize it when my hand is sticky, and its to late.

Does anybody else have problems with pets effecting their legos? And how do you deal with it? As of right now, my cat is not allowed in my lego room...and won't be for a while.

Never had that problem with my dogs(3 x maltese). They usually hang around the table that we build our lego sets. Whenever we drop a piece, they would just give it a sniff and walk off. Somehow the smell or taste of Lego plastics put them off. (BTW, they go nuts over tissue paper and would immediately chew it up and swallow. A good source of fiber I reckon?) Sometimes when I open the Lego display case, my boy would come over and nudge the display and attempt to play with it, but not shown much interest in ingesting it so far.

I believe to discourage your cat from all lego pieces, you could soak a unwanted lego piece in some hot chilli seeds or sauce, making it tremendously spicy and attempt to bait your cat with it. It should scare him/her off lego for life.

Edited by Cloud0

I believe to discourage your cat from all lego pieces, you could soak a unwanted lego piece in some hot chilli seeds or sauce, making it tremendously spicy and attempt to bait your cat with it. It should scare him/her off lego for life.

although that's a great sounding trick that wouldn't work with my animals, for some reason they actually like spicy food. Can't explain it. I have a Scottish Terrier and he loves chewing on them. I've found a few destroyed pieces. I would like to know the answer to this problem as well.

although that's a great sounding trick that wouldn't work with my animals, for some reason they actually like spicy food. Can't explain it. I have a Scottish Terrier and he loves chewing on them. I've found a few destroyed pieces. I would like to know the answer to this problem as well.

Not sure if you have access to medicated oil. The vet locally says to smear it over the toys and animals will run! Its very very spicy and minty at the same time. It actually lingers and burns.

Not my pets, but over christmas my parents dog did attempt to eat R2D2. Luckily he doesn't taste so good! :wink: Thankfully I also have plenty of Artoos, so the chew marks on that one aren't too big a loss.

My dogs weren't interested in Lego. If it wasn't food they'd just sleep. apparently dogs like sweet tasting things and cats love bitter. so something with odour that the animals don't like placed near the Lego stash could work. I guess also not touching Lego with hands that have just touched food would be another angle.

also with dogs, they like to get hold of whatever the owner last touched where the scent is strongest. so if you were touching Lego before you go out a dog left alone in a house could be attracted.

I'm guessing the answer to cats urinating in bins is to put a lid of some kind on them.

We have 2 beautiful ginger boys, one of which, Gizmo, LOVES playing with LEGO.

We've had to fend him off from chewing pieces a few times and he definitely enjoyed playing with the tower crane load, but when he started playing with a boat hull we just had to leave him to it as it was so funny!

We had just received it in the post and it was on the living room floor. Gizmo (who loves playing with boxes or anything he can get into), promptly came and sat in it!

'This is the Captain of your ship calling'...

gizmo_1.jpg

gizmo_2.jpg

Our minpin normally ignores our LEGOs... but she hates the trains! When we run the train on the floor she runs from it when it's going towards her, then once it's past her she barks at it and tries to bite it. :laugh:

We have 2 beautiful ginger boys, one of which, Gizmo, LOVES playing with LEGO.

We've had to fend him off from chewing pieces a few times and he definitely enjoyed playing with the tower crane load, but when he started playing with a boat hull we just had to leave him to it as it was so funny!

We had just received it in the post and it was on the living room floor. Gizmo (who loves playing with boxes or anything he can get into), promptly came and sat in it!

Gizmo sounds like my cat, ghilly, she LOVES my legos. I'm considering the oil suggestion, but it sounds a little :vader:

This is definitely a problem with my cats who always thinks legos are the most comfortable thing to sleep on :wacko:

dsc00923.jpg

And then this week my cats were fighting and destroyed something I'm working on :angry: luckily I had all the pieces and it was easier to rebuild. :grin:

dsc00923.jpg

Awwwww, thats so cute :laugh: Actually i dont have any problems whit our dog today, but when she was a puppy, she ued to swallow small pieces and bite my Legos :hmpf_bad: But luckily she stopped it when she mas 2 years old and the bited legos had thorwn away. But the swallowed pieces are gone, i lost many great parts suchs as working compas wich was my treasure and tryed to keep it save :cry_sad:

Captain Becker

This is definitely a problem with my cats who always thinks legos are the most comfortable thing to sleep on :wacko:

]

And then this week my cats were fighting and destroyed something I'm working on :angry: luckily I had all the pieces and it was easier to rebuild. :grin:

Haha, Giz likes to sleep on Lego as well, esp when Pinky has it laid out on a sheet... Cant be comfortable?! :sceptic:

Not sure if you have access to medicated oil. The vet locally says to smear it over the toys and animals will run! Its very very spicy and minty at the same time. It actually lingers and burns.

I might have to give that a try, I have one that likes minty the other just kinda blah, but the younger Scottie hes the problem my older one just doesn't care.

My dog actively avoids my Lego. Probably because it's painful to step on. Or maybe because I chase her with PF vehicles. yeah, that's probably it.

When I came out my dark ages and was going through all of my LEGO my pug chewed up my Darth Maul! :cry_sad:

It's nice to hear everyone's pet vs. Lego stories but there is already a similar topic regarding this in the Community forum --> Lego and cats. I think it would be better if this was just merged with that one. :wink: