Glued magnets issue solved

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Wondered why they glued the magnets?

Wonder if you can dissolve the glue?

Then read this great article on the TheBrickBlogger

Just don't ever use Nail Polish Remover :sick:

Bad-Result-207x300.jpg

That's great news KimT! It doesn't seem too complicated. :thumbup:

It's probably better if you remove the legs and replace them with an ordinary fig's legs, though. This doesn't look too good.

Anyway, great solution. Literally :classic:

Yay, a solution! Despite the fact that you'll need to give them a bath to make them playable again, they aren't low-quality plastic, I believe :sweet: For most figures, you can still change the legs, but with printed ones, they will have to remain damaged :sceptic:

Thanks for sharing this KimT, but it seems somebody beat you to it. Like what I said in that topic, the solution to this de-gluing process is not as complex as we though it would be. But taking a closer look to the detached area, this hot water treatment seems to debond the surface coating of the ABS plastic from the minifig leg and not totally dissolve the adhesive used. Still, this totally great news! :thumbup:

Take that Hasbro! :tongue:

Since the parts are being solvent bonded, here's another trick that may work. The theory is the same as hot water - use expansion and contraction to loosen the bond.

Place the magnet into a small ziplock bag, with a few drops of water. Seal the bag and place in the freezer overnight. Allow to warm up to room temperature, and see if the bond has been weakened or broken. Repeat as necessary.

This trick is used by plastic model builders as a way to loosen solvent bonds in old model kits. It doesn't always work, but it's a good technique to try. The cold should have no effect at all on the plastic, decorations or stickers. The only caveat is that LEGO plastic is different than the styrene plastic that models are made of, so it's possible it won't work at all.

Sorry, I don't have any magnets, so I can't try it myself.

Peter

Since the parts are being solvent bonded, here's another trick that may work. The theory is the same as hot water - use expansion and contraction to loosen the bond.

Place the magnet into a small ziplock bag, with a few drops of water. Seal the bag and place in the freezer overnight. Allow to warm up to room temperature, and see if the bond has been weakened or broken. Repeat as necessary.

This trick is used by plastic model builders as a way to loosen solvent bonds in old model kits. It doesn't always work, but it's a good technique to try. The cold should have no effect at all on the plastic, decorations or stickers. The only caveat is that LEGO plastic is different than the styrene plastic that models are made of, so it's possible it won't work at all.

Sorry, I don't have any magnets, so I can't try it myself.

Peter

That's a very good idea, I hope someone tries this out :thumbup:

A quick question: do you think this works on keychains too? If TLG use the same glue for them, it should, right?

Let's hope so!

Edited by commdr_neyo

Thanks for sharing this KimT, but it seems somebody beat you to it. ... ...

Indeed, but since the Star Wars License is to "blame", then I think we should have a dual topic here on the same matter. Plus I reckon that more than a few LEGO Star Wars fans are keen on knowing this as this is a great way to gather licensed minifigs.

Not that I'd seen that other topic :blush:

Yeah!

Looks like there's hope for all those expensive Jedi and wave 2 sets yet.

Thats good news! I never actully got the magnet packs, since they're not actually availible to me anyway. But it's good news for everyone else who does buy them. And if they are proper quality now, I may well look into buying some if they bring out some of the lovely new figs as magnets (Shaak Ti, Aurra Sing :wub: )

Thanks for the news :wink:

The funny thing is that Lego probably specificly designed the glue to come off so they won't lose as much of a market :tongue: (Fair enough too really :laugh: )

I have a question about the magnet sets. If the original version was made a while ago, would it still be non- glued?

I ask because now I really want the new Darth Vader, and scince there aren't anymore of Vader's TIE sets available new, (yes, I only want new sets :tongue: ) I was going to get this magnet set.

I have a question about the magnet sets. If the original version was made a while ago, would it still be non- glued?

I ask because now I really want the new Darth Vader, and scince there aren't anymore of Vader's TIE sets available new, (yes, I only want new sets :tongue: ) I was going to get this magnet set.

Any magnet sets, old or new, that come off the production line from November or so to current will be glued. You'll have to find a store with older stock and buy the magnets as fast as you can.

I just bought the lego yoda, mace and dooku magnet set from lego.com, and the minifigs are stuck to the magnets, what do I do?

Yeah but the point of me buying it was to get the minifigures of and use them.... -_-

did you actually follow the link you were given? (Click on "this guy's advice") it gives you advice on how to do just that....

Edited by helicaon

Hmmmmm this is good and all... but I was wondering, I have a magnet swamp trooper from ages ago and the legs are attached to the torso.

Would this method work? I have removed the actual magnets from the legs.. but in the process I accidently snaped off one the pins that connects the individual legs :sad: and I would desperatley like to replace them.

Did LEGO use the same glue?

or am I risking it by trying?

S.T.G