MOC: 1:1 Ghostbusters Trap

5306515615_1082cde09a_b.jpg

5306515079_39a133b305_b.jpg

5307107210_2ee7c1f84e_b.jpg

5306514683_b43578c203_b.jpg

Link to the video

Link to the flickr set

Funny story behind this build:

I whipped up a similar looking trap over the course of 3 days last winter. It rolled and had the same functioning lights, but when I showed it to my family, the first thing they said was "what, the doors don't open?"

So I immediately scrapped that version and began the long and tedious process of finding a way to make the doors open and close (I am not mechanically minded in the least). 3 months later and this is what I came up with. While I might some day find a way to attach it to a wire/pedal like the movie, I kind of like this wireless alternative. I can roll it across a room and make it go with a Power Functions remote. The clear tiles on the back are to let the IR beam hit the receiver.

I used plans from gbfans.com as a reference. Unfortunately, the cartridge does not slide out... for now :wink:

Oh, and one last piece of advice: Don't look directly into the trap!

I love it! As a kid this was one of my favorite movies. In fact, my brother and sister and I told my mom we lost our library cards, and then used one of those old label makers that punched white letters into red tape to make our membership cards for the "Ghostbuster club." Good thing mom doesn't read these forums. :wink:

Love it, love it, love it.

The lights, the doors...

I can hear the theme music in the background....

Excuse me, i gotto watch the movie.... again :laugh:

Words cannot describe the awesomeness of this! My inner geek is doing a happy dance. I love the way you did the striping on the doors and the little doo-dads the sides are wonderfully accurate. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lol, what a bunch of jerks!

"Hello beloved family, look at this awesome toy I built!"

Family: "Pffft! The doors don't even open!"

:laugh:

Looks great!

Sorry for the generic praise, but it looks like you know what you're doing already, good job. :)

Perfect. This is definitely one of the best MOCs I've seen all year. Definitely in my Top 10 of 2010. Great job!

Great MOC! It is very realistic and highly detailed. :classic:

Very well done. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Wow, totally impressive creation Maegnus! I very well remember this gadget being a big Ghostbusters fan myself. The size and details are just perfect for this real life-scaled Ghostbusters Trap. Truly and outstanding piece of work! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Do..Re..Egon!

Fantastic work Maegnus! It looks so realistic you can hardly tell that it's LEGO. :thumbup:

Brilliant!

I know how it feels to hear this kind of candid question... "it does not open?" But you certainly stood up to the challenge! (and now they are going to ask you "where is the smoke?")

This is an awesome MOC for sure that you made.

When I see some MOCs they make me think, "Wow, that is one I would like to make a reproduction of".

Your MOC is just another example of that. Very good details, and good recemblance.

I like the idea of having it remote controlled instead of the clutch thing they do in the movie.

But I can totally see why you want to add that for the more "real" look.

Looks really great, almost real... :thumbup: It seems like it could really work if in need! :sweet:

A portable power source?

Do I have to lecture you about EB's policy concerning bumping a 5 years old thread?

Wow thats a pretty detailed build... comes with all the trappings (pun intended) too.

I remember I built a multicolored one as a kid and used (gasp) vines plucked from garden outside as the cable.