• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

index2.jpg& Poll added by TheBrickster

Set Name: 9348 Community City Minifigures

Theme: Town/City

Released: 2010 for 2011

Pieces: 256

Price: GBP 39.99 / EUR 46.95

As a huge fan and collector of minifigures, I instinctively bought this set within just a couple of days of hearing about it on a certain Lego community site.

Despite a considerably large price tag, the main draw towards this minifigure set is the inclusion of several new, unusual and/or rare parts, including a green bicycle, yellow hard hats and food items.

01.jpg

Front of box

02.jpg

Back of box

Contained in the box are all the parts required to build 22 minifigures - all shown on the front and back of the box - and their accompanying props.

Let's have a look at the bags...

img_1715.jpg

The largest of the bags, containing the coveted green bicycle frame as well as the new printed dog.

img_1714.jpg

Here we can see a selection of torsos and legs, and - if you look very carefully - a dark brown cat.

img_1713.jpg

Some of the smaller parts, including several minifigure heads. Funnily enough, all of the female heads are in this bag.

img_1711.jpg

A few hairpieces, some tiles and the male minifigure heads are in this bag.

img_1712.jpg

The last and smallest of the bags contains the smallest elements, including printed money tiles and visors for the helmets.

The parts

First on the agenda are the torsos, being the first parts I'd paid attention to when opening the bags. I primarily collect torsos.

04.jpg

Somewhat disappointing about the selection of torsos is that you can find most of them in a Lego store's Build-A-Minifig section. The selection is made up for by the other, not-as-common ones: it's great to see alternative construction torsos, as well as a "courier" torso (top right), for example. I'm not too sure about the postman's torso (the red one at the bottom). The print quality on all the torsos is very good.

08.jpg

The legs on offer. Three "stubby" legs for the kids, but standard Build-A-Minifig fare all round.

05.jpg

The minifigure heads are evenly distributed: 11 females to 11 males, with two "skeleton" heads. Unfortunately, all the female and male heads are exactly the same - and I'm not keen on either design. Particularly for the females, it would be nice to have some variations. But this is an educational set after all.

Note that the female heads are double-sided: one side is smiling, the other has a frown. Strangely, the design has "crows feet" and "beauty spots" as standard.

06.jpg

To make up for the duplicate heads, we have a range of head- and hairpieces. Some of these are used as props on the box cover.

The tan cowboy hat, the new baseball caps (particularly in lime and orange) and especially the yellow construction hats will be the most desired of these parts.

07.jpg

These are most of the accessories included in the set. Like with the headwear there's a good mix of classic and new elements, including the new tan "swag bag" and the strange red crowbar.

I remember back in primary school, when I was first exposed to Lego: it was all about the walkie talkies.

09.jpg

These bricks are included if you want to build the props. Or, more practically, you can add them to your collection. Just a few regular parts here.

Show-stoppers (for me, at least)

10.jpg

Probably the most coveted part in this set (behind the yellow hard hats) is the green bicycle frame. Before coming out of the "dark age", I had only been exposed to red bicycles - these, and frames in other colours, are hard to come by. (Sadly I'm having to part with my yellow bike.) The baguettes seem to be exclusive to large expensive sets, although my first exposure was from the 2010 City advent calendar. The folding laptop also makes a brief comeback.

Of particular note is the inclusion of a plain yellow minifig head. Plain (and new!) yellow minifig heads are very uncommon, and you can't even get them from Lego's Pick-A-Brick! The green 1x1 round bricks are also included in this picture because they're fairly uncommon in sets - but you can get them from PAB. (Not so for green studs and cones, which are far more uncommon!)

The literature

... There is no literature. No instructions, no printed leaflet, nothing. They weren't kidding when they said it was an educational set - if you want to build anything, you'll have to figure it out yourself!

Whether or not an instruction book - or any printed material at all - is necessary for this set, really depends on the end user's skill level. Some would argue that, if they really need instructions to build these things, they should be doing something other than playing with Lego. But then again, this set is marketed for kids aged 4+.

While I don't think instructions are absolutely necessary, someone unfamiliar with Lego parts might have trouble building some of the props. It might not be immediately obvious to construct the turntable piece for the roundabout, for example.

The minifigures

Without further ado, the showcase.

11.jpg

A female courier on that rare green bike, with a shedload of food. Probably the most impressive display in the whole set.

12.jpg

A male and female firefighter: the female has a makeshift fire hose.

13.jpg

An award-winning scuba diver of sorts, complete with humongous silver trophy. Possibly the loneliest winning ceremony in history!

14.jpg

A female mechanic, with her tools of the trade.

15.jpg

A female police officer eager to arrest a young offender.

16.jpg

A female waitress serving pizza and an ice lolly. This, in my opinion, is the best use of the generic female head.

17.jpg

The head chef of the pizzeria, rolling his dough.

18.jpg

This poor guy has to sweep litter for a day job, and it doesn't look as if it gets any easier.

19.jpg

A female construction worker, who is really into the job.

20.jpg

There's no explanation for why there's a suitcase on their stretcher. (Note: no stretcher wheels included.)

21.jpg

Postman Pat has been downgraded; he says he's being green. He looks more at home in a post office than outdoors.

22.jpg

Two kids on a very small roundabout.

23.jpg

A husband and wife farming team, complete with pets and a scarecrow (which uses the plain yellow minifig head).

24.jpg

Kid. Skateboard. Ramp. The best thing about this set is... the lime cap.

25.jpg

On closer inspection these two are actually airport staff. Personally I think they're better suited as posties! In the background are the Baron Samedi reminiscent snowmen, complete with the remains of a skiier.

26.jpg

Finally we have a frustrated receptionist, trying to work an old laptop with Windows 95 installed on it.

Spare parts

Having built all of the props, these are what's left:

27.jpg

For your money's worth you get two of the uncommon round green bricks. All of these parts, except for the goggle visor, will have some use in the future.

Town integration

28.jpg

The Fuschia Sisters make an appearance on the city farm.

30.jpg

The world's first postal postal victim.

31.jpg

The receptionist gets chatted up by someone who knows a few things about computers.

My comments

Just one of these sets gives you an instant town population, and plenty of useful accessories to play with. Best of all, you're not entirely restricted to instructions in a manual, or even what you see on the box, for long term enjoyment.

The only concern I've had from the beginning was the price. At GBP 39.99, it's a very far cry from the smaller minifigure packs of old, and it raises a lot of doubt as to whether or not buying this particular set would be worth it. For the price of this set you could get around 34 Build-A-Minifig figures, or 20 Collectible Minifigs.

I'd say that whether or not to go for this set depends on your motives. If you want it solely to get hold of specific parts, you'd probably be better off getting them on BrickLink - it depends how many parts, and how many of them, you'd be after. I would recommend this set for building a collection of generic Town minifigures, with a bunch of very useful accessories as a bonus - although if you're after a number of specific generic figures, it would be less expensive to go down the Build-A-Minifig route.

Rating

Build: 7/10 - building isn't necessary or worthwhile, perhaps apart from the pizzeria scenario. No instructions for the kids to build the models on the box.

Parts: 9/10 - a lot of great parts, particularly food items, headwear and bikes.

Figures: 8/10 - the Build-A-Minfig staples are saved by the other figures in the line-up. Airport and pizzeria staff are the favourites.

Playability: 8/10 - although each has a specific role, there's no limit to what can be done with the minifigures (and other parts).

Price: 4/10 - for a minifigure set the RRP/MSRP makes it difficult to buy.

Overall: 7/10

As a retail set, the accessories are the primary selling point - but contrasted with the price and the generic selection of minifigures, it would most likely be a one-off purchase. Replacing the bricks with a few more accessories, or adding variations to the minifig heads, would improve the set.

Obligatory group shot

32.jpg

UPDATE: These are how the females (as built from the cover) look from behind with the double-sided heads. (Thanks to L@go for pointing this out.)

img_1819.jpg

Very nice review! I am really jealous of you to be able to find this pack. It is quite a hard to find set since it is classify under Dacata. Lots of useful parts and great minifigs to complement into your City layout. It has been almost 5 years since we last saw a new Dacta minifigure collection. :wub:

This review is now blogged in,

See it on Classic-Town.net

Great review. I saw this at the local LEGO store but decided against buying due to the high price tag. I love the green bicycle, but had no idea they were worth so much (on Brick Link, at least! $100 for a blue bicycle, yikes!)

Thank you for posting this.

Thanks for a AWESOME review 'SilentMode', what COOL collection.....I won't care about the cost....I'm going to get the wife to buy it for our son....he loves minifigs...like most kids do ! :grin:

A cute pizza oven and scarecrow....just AWESOME.....must get this for the lad....he'll love it.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I've ordered this, and I still think it's a good set, but your review has pointed out one particular thing to me that I don't like: The double-sided female head used in minifigures where the headgear doesn't cover the back of the head. I wish you had included a picture of the back of the female construction worker, the award-winner, the female mechanic and the female firefighter - that must look utterly bizarre, and it's the thing I don't like about the double-sided heads: There's a whole lot of different headgear they don't work with.

I do like the scarecrow and the baker's rolling pin - although it's a shame he has to wield it with one hand only.

Also, the the snowmen are nice in a very weird kind of way...

Thank you guys very much for the compliments, and the honour of being blogged! :cry_happy:

If only there was a space-themed set...

Great review!

Really would like to get this set, if this and the other set end up not coming to the US then i'm going to be very dissapointed. Would love to get at least two of both sets.

I've ordered this, and I still think it's a good set, but your review has pointed out one particular thing to me that I don't like: The double-sided female head used in minifigures where the headgear doesn't cover the back of the head. I wish you had included a picture of the back of the female construction worker, the award-winner, the female mechanic and the female firefighter - that must look utterly bizarre, and it's the thing I don't like about the double-sided heads: There's a whole lot of different headgear they don't work with.

I'll add a photo of those when I get the chance. Thanks for pointing that out!

Excellent review, thanks for sharing SilentMode! After getting initially excited about this set, my interest has gone down after having a closer look in this review. While it offers some interesting new pieces, it's a bit disappointing getting only 3 facial expressions for 22 minifigs. For it's steep price, I'd rather spend the $40 bucks on collecting the Series 3 Minifigs first. Maybe when I have some extra budget I may get this set, but for now it's not on the top of my must-buy list.

Thanks for the in depth view of this set. IMO, the old version needed a serious update since the increase of detail on figs, and this delivers, although I could do without every woman having crow's feet wrinkles and a beauty mark under their lower lip. :tongue: Also, I think we need more female hair, as many of these women are wearing caps, which make them look bald/really short haired.

Thanks for the review of this great set! My daughter loves minifigs, and has a birthday coming up in February. My wife and I have contemplated buying the predecessor to this set, but might go with this one instead. Anyone know what the US price is for this set?

Greetings! :classic:

Nice review! I had no idea this set was around until you pointed it out, my wallet thanks you! :wacko::classic: I just went and bought a copy on ebay which btw there is still a few more left...I think. Better huury!

Edited by Vestabuyer

Great review! I like this set, all the minifigs and their accessories are detailed and realistic. I may get this set if have the cash left to buy it. :thumbup:

Very well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

Thanks for this review SilentMode :classic: It's a huge improvment from the last Community Minifigure set.

Nice to see the Female population in lego city is getting higher (I'm really lacking female figures)

I've updated the review with a quick picture of the female figures from behind. Not the nicest thing to know that some people literally have eyes at the back of their head!

Anyway, thank you to everyone who gave their feedback on my debut review so far, it's made the time spent on it worth it. (It took a lot longer than I thought!)

Anyone know what the US price is for this set?

It isn't on the US Lego shop site, so I don't know if it's out over there yet. I couldn't find a US price.

I bought this set at a U.S. Lego store (Elmhurst, NY). It was $50.

Pricey? Sure. But it was a great way to get a bunch of citizens in one box.

I was afraid of that, same price as the last version, but less figures. However the variety of figures is better, as are the accessories. Tough decision, but four of the extra figures I believe are police and firemen, which our LEGO City certainly isn't lacking, so that might help with the decision.

I've updated the review with a quick picture of the female figures from behind.

Yikes.

Great review. I won't get the whole set, but the rare parts in it should show up on Bricklink soon. The yellow hard hats are easily the highlight for me (I've never liked the red color for these), and I like the printed wrench sign too.

It isn't on the US Lego shop site, so I don't know if it's out over there yet. I couldn't find a US price.

Great review Silentmode. :thumbup:

I think the USD price is $49.95. I found from this site but shipping directly to my country (Singapore) is just too prohibitively expensive so I had to abandon the idea. If you are in the USA total over $79 qualifies for free shipping.

Teacher Store House

Thanks again for the feedback, folks. I really do appreciate it!

Just wondering if anyone's planning on doing a review of the other (fairytale) minifigure set?

Great review :thumbup:,although i don't like this dacta set. :sceptic:

I'm a fan of classic town (back when minifigs had faces like this: :classic: ), so this set is nothing special for me. I wish they've putted yellow or black or white bicycle instead of the green and red one.

Edited by kost u grlu

Thank you very much for this great review, SilentMode!

I voted for

Average.

That's not a bad set for someone who starts getting introduced into Lego City and who wants some additional minifigs in addition to the only very little number of minifigs in official sets.

There are even two great new elements: yellow hard helmet (supposably used in the 2012 construction side sets?) and laptop. And some "mini sets" are quite nice: the scarecrow, the crops, the quarterpipe with skater boy and the woman with bicycle and food.

But all in all I've no need for this set since there are two many elements and minifigs included which I don't need. So I better buy the minfigs and elements I want seperately.

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for this great review. It has some great parts(laptop, food, plain head, yellow hard hats) and some good female hair pieces(orange princess hair, tamina hair, dark red long ponytail) but it is annoying how they all have the same face. Thanks again for the review!

Thanks for the review, this set looks like it has some nice parts.

Wish there was more variety in heads and torsos (i.e. more of the newer torsos like the green sweater one)

And at AU$68 (which is ~$3 per minifig including accessories and parts) its surprisingly good value.

So many nice parts (stubby legs, yellow hardhat, laptop, green bike and others)

Only wishes would have been for more newer torsos (e.g. green sweater torso) and for greater variety in heads.