starstreak

REVIEW: 7869 Battle for Geonosis

gallery_101_23_281.gif

This review will be on the 7869 Battle for Geonosis

Help Captain Rex™ and Luminara Unduli™ fight the droid army!The Battle for Geonosis rages on! The devastating Separatist proton cannon leads the droid army in the greatest battle of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, with a missile launcher, adjustable turret and poseable legs. The Separatists seem unstoppable until Captain Rex and Jedi General Luminara Unduli arrive on the BARC speeder and turn the tide!

• Includes 5 minifigures: Captain Rex, Luminari Unduli, 2 battle droids and 1 super battle droid
  • Features BARC speeder
  • Fire missiles at the opposition!
  • BARC speeder measures 6” (15cm) long, 3” (7cm) wide
  • Separatist proton cannon measures 9” (22cm) long, 7” (17cm) wide

Set Name: 7869 Battle for Geonosis

Theme: Star Wars

Released: 2010 for 2011

Pieces: 331

Price: $39.99/$30.19 EUR/25.92 GBP I ordered mine from Lego.com.

Here are some quicklinks Lego.com, Brickset, Bricklink

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Box art front

5291292641_7d40012529_z.jpg

I do like the new style for the box art. The blue on the edges matches well.

Box art back

5291896714_4bfd48d6c0_z.jpg

Same here, looks pretty. And they show the moving parts on the canon. And the way they display the other new sets is designed better than just using square boxes.

Parts list

5298732633_c8aa767af7_z.jpg

Many unusual parts in this box. You'll see in another picture.

Parts bags

5299331846_5e51a94972_z.jpg

Three bags. 1 is figures and speeder. 2 is the canon legs, and 3 is the Proton Canon.

Interesting Parts

5299344432_dca13cba99_z.jpg

Fake hydrolic parts, but looks neat. They move in and out and have enough friction to make it seem like it's doing something.

5298744015_984063dcfe_z.jpg

Not seen very often, but you get a SNOT piece.

Minifigs front 1

5298738813_7b4ac52772_z.jpg

2 Battle Droids, a Super Battle Droid, Captian Rex and Luminari Unduli (With face mask)

Minifigs front 2

5298740167_a44a8a8bee_z.jpg

2 Battle Droids, a Super Battle Droid, Captian Rex (helmet removed) and Luminari Unduli (With normal face)

Minifigs back

5299342982_9214eb46fd_z.jpg

2 Battle Droids, a Super Battle Droid, Captian Rex and Luminari Unduli. I wish the Super Battle Droid's back was filled in. As it is, it looks so.. like a playing piece from a board game.

BARC Speeder build

5299298474_62bd755bda_z.jpg

5298698045_f01238fd39_z.jpg

5298699263_6a327ea5a6_z.jpg

5299302212_7469fc3509_z.jpg

5299303360_1c3a8a70dd_z.jpg

5299304342_fb4169797b_z.jpg

5299305474_cec65347cc_z.jpg

Finished shot of the BARC Speeder. Interesting use of skis. Not sure about the harpoon guns. It'll shoot her in the hands. See finished photo with Luminari Unduli sitting in it

Proton Canon build

5299306678_4ec7be883e_z.jpg

5298705791_748787eff2_z.jpg

5298706993_9f47d67ff3_z.jpg

5298708241_cb34245381_z.jpg

The clear piece in the middle is used to hold a worm gear to help make the canon move up or down.

5298709449_28025fa458_z.jpg

Here is where they used the hydrolic shocks. The legs can move in and out and left and right. I wish it move up and down at the base so you could make it walk.

5299312658_b9869c797f_z.jpg

5298711933_48c24c187a_z.jpg

And here is where they used the SNOT piece. Hmm I think TLG used a piece like that on the Slave-1.

5299314866_18089ae99a_z.jpg

Who would have guessed a barrel could be used as a canon front? Nice idea.

5298714199_6a7a4ce0b7_z.jpg

5299317350_54fc613f8c_z.jpg

5299318640_198f0a0c2b_z.jpg

5298717905_e27f795602_z.jpg

5299321092_d452cd1ae2_z.jpg

5298720409_b012364944_z.jpg

5299323408_0878a28a86_z.jpg

Finished Proton Canon. Good view of the gunner's chair.

Finished Photos

5298733913_dd9483b341_z.jpg

Front Side view

5299336866_5fe4c6e87b_z.jpg

Rear side view

5298746369_be98a63b2f_z.jpg

Proton Canon front view

5299351540_26ba171fa7_z.jpg

Proton Canon rear view

5298751243_bd66330439_z.jpg

Finished group shot.

Comments: I like this set. The only thing that bothers me a lot is the Canon looks too much like a face. For all the new 2011 sets that came out, I think this one was one of the best sets to get. 5 minifigures a speeder and a Proton Canon. The hydrolics on the legs are neat. It adds to the realism. The BARC Speeder is pretty awesome too. I wouldn't mind riding that more so than one of those speeders they used on Endor. I guess you could say the BARC Speeder is the Harley, while the ones used on Endor is the Honda Autocross bikes.

My rating

Playability: 4/5 This is playable. The Speeder is great, the Proton Canon can move up/down and the legs move too. Oh! And it shoots a projectile. While the real canon doesn't, at least it helps when playing in a battle. Luminari Unduli looks just like her. The driving googles look funny, but the regular face looks like her. Not sure why they included Captain Rex. I wish they would've given Barriss Offee, her Padawan so Ashoka would have someone her age.

Build experience: 3/5 Easy build. Nothing really breaks easy once put together. NO stickers.

Overall: 4/5 Very good set. I like all the unusual parts and for the price you get two main pieces, the Proton Canon and BARC Speeder.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

All photos are viewable in full size on my flickr site. Here is a direct like to my: 7869 Battle for Geonosis

Right on. Lovely review. I may pick this up, depending on the cost. The gunner is pretty cool, I liked it when it appeared in the show at the end of the first season.

The speeder is nice too. Here is a screen shot of it and Luminara from season two.

7-speeder.jpg

Excellent review starstreak! Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup: This is my most anticipated set in the first wave, and it certainly doesn't disappoint. Luminara looks really good, and her face is pretty decent for a CW face. Rex is a nice pick-up for this set, the BARC is a good addition to any clone army and the proton cannon is surprisingly well-built IMO. I really can't wait to have my own. :sweet:

Oh and BTW, I've asked this before but would still like some confirmation, is Luminara's headdress the same as the old one? Judging by the accurate fold detail at the back it looks like a new mold?

Edited by KielDaMan

Great review. I agree with you that this is one of the better sets of the January Wave. Hopefully, this doesn't sell well and I can get it discounted, because otherwise, I don't want to spend that much money on this set.

Glad you liked the review. So hard now to do reviews. For those who have flickr accounts and aren't my friend, ask me and I'll add you. I have a bunch of sets I didn't setup a review yet.

I don't know if Luminara is any different. I know in the wookie set she has a lightsaber that lights up. Had I known, I would've bought that set way back when...

Who would have guessed a barrel could be used as a canon front? Nice idea.

Someone with a fondness for puns, I imagine.

Interesting set, but it looks a bit too… tall.

Proton_cannon.jpg

Interesting set, but it looks a bit too… tall.

Judging from your picture, I think the legs are just too small.

Oh and BTW, I've asked this before but would still like some confirmation, is Luminara's headdress the same as the old one? Judging by the accurate fold detail at the back it looks like a new mold?

Now that I've seen close up angles, I'm convinced it's the same. Minus the LUL, though, I think the face and torso of the older oneare better.

These first reviews keel popping up, don't they? I guess it's that time of year. :classic: This set looks to have some pretty interesting parts, but while I haven't ruled it out, I'm leaning towards no after seeing the Wave 2 sets. I am curious, how stable is the cannon with all its weight on the four hinge plates? Any sag or apparent stress?

These first reviews keel popping up, don't they? I guess it's that time of year. :classic: This set looks to have some pretty interesting parts, but while I haven't ruled it out, I'm leaning towards no after seeing the Wave 2 sets. I am curious, how stable is the cannon with all its weight on the four hinge plates? Any sag or apparent stress?

The canon is stable. Solid rod in the middle. There is only one gear to move the canon up/down, so I guess with enough force you could strip it. But it won't sag.

Nice revieuw, I am not sure about this set though

I like it. Not the greatest SW set, but its better than most, and the price isn't totally jacked up.

Thanks for this great review starstreak :thumbup:

Luminara Undulli makes this set a must buy. Beautiful! :wub:

The proton canon is accurate and balances the releases between Republic and droid army forces a bit.

Comments: I like this set. The only thing that bothers me a lot is the Canon looks too much like a face.

Agreed, it almost looks as if was a droid itself and can operate without battledroid. Something like the spider droid. In season 1 episode 20 - The Innocents of Ryloth it's definitly operated by droids. But why make the eyes that big, they could have easily made smaller with a smal dish and a red round 1 piece.

Not sure why they included Captain Rex. I wish they would've given Barriss Offee, her Padawan so Ashoka would have someone her age.

I guess its to early to release Barriss Offees again as her release was less than a year ago.

Edited by Future74

Very good review, thanks! But one thing isn't right. You said the European price is 30,19 but according to Lego.com it's almost 50,- euros. For the rest great review on a great set! :thumbup:

Edited by indyman09

May thanks for the review, good to see this set dissected with some nice, clear pics!

Altough not 100% accurate the Proton Cannon seems like a solid build wih some great pieces. I like the inclusion of a BARC, it makes this set more of a playset - great for kids. The minifg selection is pretty cool too, especially with Luminara and generally sits a nice price point.

My main niggle has to be that now we have Lovely minifgs of both Luminara Unduli and Bariss Offee, but in two different styles: Luminara CW and Bariss normal LEGO SW. Each minifig is superb, but damn, couldn't they have unified the style on these two?

O well... still a purchase for me.

...I've asked this before but would still like some confirmation, is Luminara's headdress the same as the old one? Judging by the accurate fold detail at the back it looks like a new mold?

I don't own the new set but I own the old one and Luminara's head-dress looks to be the same piece - it's always been a really nice accessory. Main difference I can see between old and new is in the face, torso and leg printing whcih on the new version is way more detailed.

Judging from your picture, I think the legs are just too small.

Time to mod? There's been a fair few sets I've felt the need to modify, just that little bit. :wink:

Thanks for the great review! ) :thumbup:

That set reminds me a bit the Tank droid one. It cerainly has it's design flaws, but how canyou resist getting one of those. Or two. Or three.....

I'll be getting the sets with Carrier ones. Plus 10 battle droids to my 400+ droid army! ) :cry_happy:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

It has been a long time since I last saw you doing a review and I am glad you are back with one of the most anticipated CW SW sets in my wishlist. :wub:

I am actually very excited about this and I can't wait to get mine as well. It is good to see Rex in a medium set, other than the AT-TE. By the way, I didn't know Luminara comes with a double printed side. :sweet:

Thanks for sharing this review with us.

Another great review I have just read, shopping list added to, but is it odd that Rex has grey accessories and pistols, would others have black ?

Sweet, another new Jedi.....man, I hope this set isn't going to set me back to much ? :laugh:

May the brick be with you ! :yoda:

Nice review starstreak. This is one of the must haves for the winter 2011 lineup.

Starstreak got this through LEGO.com. Anyone know which brick and mortar store is going to carry it for certain yet?

but how can you resist getting one of those. Or two. Or three.....

I've seen your CIS army. I'm shocked that you might get two or three of these. :laugh:

Great review, beat me to it! I was going to review this set in a few hours :tongue:

Picking mine up at the lego store now actually. Thanks for the review! Set looks great.

Thanks for the review! I wish Rex had black armor, and we had the normal arm SBD.

Also, sorry if this has been said, but it is supposed to look like a face. I think the cannon is a droid, with a droid controlling it. :wacko:

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

I really like the canon,I think it looks pretty smooth. So I think that I will get this set too. But what exactly does "special edition" mean? Does that mean that there will be a limit or availibilty issues? Because I was planing to wait for a discont and if there is some availibilty issue that mean it won't last that long and I might have to get it for MSRP.