WhiteFang

REVIEW: 8803 LEGO Minifigures Series 3

On a scale of 1 to 5  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 3?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. "AFTER" reading this review, are you still keen and excited for this upcoming Series 3 release?

I believe they are the same. Although I checked the packets after taking the figures out, they correspond to the figures I ended up getting.

By the way, I still could barely see the dots!

For everyone's information, I have gone through all of my opened packets and verify with the data sheet, mine packaging is the same as the United States version as mentioned in the link provided inside the review.

Fantastic review, I think this series just has a few too many ordinary figures in it. Having seen series 4 also I'm inclined to save my budget for that, although I will try and pick up a few of these - but probably the same ones everyone else will be after.

Very nice review, WhiteFang, thank you. :thumbup:

If I can offer a single tiny criticism, it is that some of your images look a bit washed-out, making them not as crisp as they could be. Do not get me wrong, I am no photography expert and these pictures are still very good. The images just look a bit 'clouded' as if they were taken in a dream sequence in some TV show.

It's really too bad there are no spare parts in this series, and I hope this won't lead to further cost-cutting in future series.

Something else that disappointed me was that the uneven distribution of minifigs of the previous series has gotten worse. I find only two complete sets per box to be somewhat ridiculous, even if I had no intention of buying a whole box.

However, in the end I will buy at least one complete set, and a couple of doubles for a select few (Elf, Samurai, Tennis Player and a couple of others). I wonder when they will hit Canada...

I believe they are the same. Although I checked the packets after taking the figures out, they correspond to the figures I ended up getting.

For everyone's information, I have gone through all of my opened packets and verify with the data sheet, mine packaging is the same as the United States version as mentioned in the link provided inside the review.

Nice one :thumbup:

Thanks WhiteFang! Another great CM review. While I did feel more excited after reading your review, I'm still convinced that this series is just average compared to the others. Oh, well, at least we finally got an elf.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the hair of the hula girl is not new, and is a printed, black colored version of Elsa's hair from the Indiana Jones theme. If you have the Venice Chase set, could you please compare the two to confirm if they're the same?

Very nice review and analysis! In the photo where you show a part of your Ninja collection, I was wondering where you got that minifigure that's second to the left?

Great review! I've already been able to find a full set and multiples of Series 3.

For those wondering what "Clutchers" stand for, it refers to the "Clutch Power" (sound familiar? :wink: ) of the LEGO bricks.

Thanks for another wonderful look at these Collectible Minfigures. This series is very nice, but I think it lacks a certain charm that the previous 2 series had. I'm more excited about series 4 than this.

Thanks for the review. I haven't got any of these yet but I think that this series is just as good as the others. I think some of the figures are must have for their accessories.

Thanks for the review again :thumbup:

Great review WF, I was looking forward to series 3, but after reading this I am even more excited! A truly nice job! :wink:

Whitefang your Collectable minifig reviews are second to none. So many awesome comparisions and just a great amount of pictures.

I picked up a set off of bricklink, and I barely paid more than the Toy R Us asking price.

I look forward to your series 4 review. :thumbup:

Once again, thanks for all of your kind comments! :sweet:

If I can offer a single tiny criticism, it is that some of your images look a bit washed-out, making them not as crisp as they could be. Do not get me wrong, I am no photography expert and these pictures are still very good. The images just look a bit 'clouded' as if they were taken in a dream sequence in some TV show.

Point taken. Some of the images are quite over exposed due to lack of brightness and was over-edited to a certain extent to raise the brightness in order to allow others to view the details but at the same time, I had to sacrifice and compromise the images.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the hair of the hula girl is not new, and is a printed, black colored version of Elsa's hair from the Indiana Jones theme. If you have the Venice Chase set, could you please compare the two to confirm if they're the same?

Both hairpiece are indeed the same. What I meant was, the Hula Dancer hairpiece came with a printed flower at the side of the hair, while the existing element and other hairpiece elements do not feature printed design.

In the photo where you show a part of your Ninja collection, I was wondering where you got that minifigure that's second to the left?

Is this the minifigure?

Wonderful review as always WhiteFang! Very comprehesive, detailed, and well-written, you sure are living up to the expectations of being EB's Collectible Minifig Summarizer. :thumbup:

As for Series 3, it looks like in every series TLG has been improving a lot of the minifig details, and this series clearly shows some interesting enhancements, most especially printed hairpieces (Hula Dancer, Elf) and detailed accessories (Rapper's boombox, snowboard, shield). Series 4 looks promising too, but I agree with Rick, the only downside is these collectibles are being released in such a rapid rate that I (and probably some) are way behind in acquiring these.

Dots?! That gets my hopes up for finding an elf when these hit the shelves over here...

I bought the space villain & alien on BL, I have to say that the alien doesn't look as good as the SP3 aliens do. I agree, the black blaster for the space pirate is the better of the 3. I'm very pleased about the peg-leg, visor and helmet colours too. Would like to create an army of them, but perhaps with normal arms, legs & face?

Thanks for the detailed review!

I'd like to add my thanks... now that I've been able to actually start getting these guys, I'm super happy to read more about them and see the pictures to keep tantalized about getting them...

One thing I hadn't seen until I actually got one... the Gorilla Suit Guy has a zipper on the back of the torso! I may have just missed it in other threads, but it was a nice surprise.

For those worrying about the bumps/dots, most of the desirable figures should be fairly easy to tell by touch. I've got big meaty hands and figured I wouldn't be able to tell anything, but the elf is instantly obvious (with the bow and shield). Samurai a bit harder with the sword, but it's thinner than a baseball bad and you feel for the hilt... I just bought a handful randomly, but I also felt around for the elf and the Samurai, and was 100% sure about them.

Great review. I've already got about 1/3rd of S3, but probably won't go all the way since I couldn't possibly try to collect every minifig (especially with plans for 3+ series per year). I really enjoy the baseball player and snowboarder (I love skiing so it's nice to give my S2 skiier some company).

My only real gripe is a lack of fancier plastics. I'd love to see a liberal use of chrome, or at least the metallic plastic. A samurai with chrome armor would've been awesome. PS, it's strange the samurai in this set is lacking a crest, while the old ones had gold ones. :/

Thanks for the indeth review whitefang!

One question is where can I get lego minifigs, because they don't sell them at the Lego store (not at mine anyways), I've heard they are sold at TRU but I don't have one near me and they have infamous markups, the only place I did find one once was at a borders, were it was marked to 3.99, twice as much as MSRP. The only reason I don't want to get it online is that one is not able to apply the secret code cheatsheet to find the minifig they want. All replys appreciated.

Thanks

I hope I can get the minifigures I want and I agree that now getting one box could only helps to complete two sets is a letdown. :sadnew:

According to Brickset, 'later' boxes seem to have a more even distribution with 4 fishermen and only 3 aliens. :classic:

Great review hey am I the only one whose preparing for the enebitable collectors minifig series 3 competition like they did with the past two series

Thanks for the great review. Was thinking about getting some, so after reading the review, ran down to TRU and picked some up. Still grumbling about the $3.99 price. Used the dots method; the salesgirls really got into helping interpret the dots and screen the packages. Unfortunately no elf, samurai or chief (one of you must have cleaned them out), but picked up hula girl, pilot, gorilla guy, and fisherman without too much difficulty. Only mistake was getting a mummy instead of Indian chief -- must have missed one of the dots. Will also use touch method next time.

• The fisherman is very nice: beard and face are very nicely detailed, and accessories are good too: fish, rod, and hat. Always good to see more older aged mfs. Wish he had some printing on the pants too -- maybe some blue wellies?
  • Gorilla guy is great, except he doesn't grip the banana very solidly.
  • The mummy is nicely printed, but otherwise probably my least favorite of the five I have. He will come in handy for some of our PoP sets (don't have any PQ yet). Could also be useful for IJ sets too.
  • WhiteFang doesn't seem into the Pilot much, but I like him. His bomber jacket is well done, and will be useful for pilots and/or adventurers. And it's nice to see another older head (with his white eyebrows and mustache, he looks to be in his late 50s).
  • And the hula girl is just all-around great. Great hair, good printing, nice facial expression. Not sure how to use her in builds, except as a general babe. Maybe TLG needs to do a Tiki theme? You know, tiki huts, outrigger canoes, Easter Island statues, etc.

Thanks for the great review. Was thinking about getting some, so after reading the review, ran down to TRU and picked some up. Still grumbling about the $3.99 price. Used the dots method; the salesgirls really got into helping interpret the dots and screen the packages. Unfortunately no elf, samurai or chief (one of you must have cleaned them out), but picked up hula girl, pilot, gorilla guy, and fisherman without too much difficulty. Only mistake was getting a mummy instead of Indian chief -- must have missed one of the dots. Will also use touch method next time.

• The fisherman is very nice: beard and face are very nicely detailed, and accessories are good too: fish, rod, and hat. Always good to see more older aged mfs. Wish he had some printing on the pants too -- maybe some blue wellies?
  • Gorilla guy is great, except he doesn't grip the banana very solidly.
  • The mummy is nicely printed, but otherwise probably my least favorite of the five I have. He will come in handy for some of our PoP sets (don't have any PQ yet). Could also be useful for IJ sets too.
  • WhiteFang doesn't seem into the Pilot much, but I like him. His bomber jacket is well done, and will be useful for pilots and/or adventurers. And it's nice to see another older head (with his white eyebrows and mustache, he looks to be in his late 50s).
  • And the hula girl is just all-around great. Great hair, good printing, nice facial expression. Not sure how to use her in builds, except as a general babe. Maybe TLG needs to do a Tiki theme? You know, tiki huts, outrigger canoes, Easter Island statues, etc.

Does the Lego store price this as the same for 2.99 on the shop@home website?

I plan to go to the Lego store (for the first time) on Jan 1st, assuming it isn't closed.

So guys my brother alredy has the complete series and i have 8 not to trade but the ones i have are the elf, the chief, the samuri, the piolt, the racer, the gorilla, the ailien and the hula girl. and i got 5 of them from walmart the other 3 from toysrus. :classic::thumbup:

The lego store I was planning to get these at said they are sold out...

Just wanted a samurai or a tennis player, should I gamble by ordering on line?

Since I can't think of a better way to word my appreciation...

Thanks for another comprehensive Collectible Minifigs

Whitefang. The additional pictures and comments with the collectible minifigs interacting or standing with other minifigs add a lot to the generic pictures of the Series 3 minifigs themselves. Such detailed reviews with pics of the assembled minifigs, individual parts, and even probability and analysis are great to have.

Whitefang - I do have to point out though that when you referred to the 'traditional bow' and showed a picture of the S1 Forestman, that's not quite correct - that bow has a slightly different mold, barely noticeable, from the bows we've had for years and years before the collectible minifigs came out.

Now I'm just going to paste a few of my opinions here because I feel like it. I don't really care if no one else cares. :tongue:

In general I liked Series 2 a little better than series 3, but S3 has some good stuff too. I'll comment on a few individual minifigs:

Elf: can't wait to get my hands on these guys and their nice bows - I need an army of those guys. However, I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't come with a quiver. I suppose that would be too much to ask considering the beautiful torso/leg prints, cloak, bow, shield, and nice hairpiece, but, seriously... he can't use a shield at the same time as the bow anyways. I think it would have been better to have two elves - perhaps and archer (same as this one, but with a quiver and no shield), and then perhaps in a later series, a spearman (or spear-elf :tongue: )

Racecar driver: I can't begin to express how BORING I find this fig... I mean seriously, we've had racecar drivers before... this is nothing new...

Tennis player: I'll definitely want a couple of these - I'd like to get some more skirt prints for my female figs.

Samurai, chief, others: I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the 'new' figs that are really just re-prints of figs from old series. I don't know. I like some better than others. They're mostly there for the new prints I suppose, and are really only interesting to people who are specifically interested in that theme (eg, I picked up the Forestman cause I like castle/dark forest, but, the racecar driver... no).

Anyways...

Edited by Erynion