Fugazi

2011 Alien Conquest

spacewoman.png

am i the only one excited about the possibility of trans-clear visors?

I'm not particularly... I just noticed on the torso, IT'S A STICKER! Please, no...

I'm not particularly... I just noticed on the torso, IT'S A STICKER! Please, no...

It's probably just preliminary.

By the way, could a mod possibly put those pics into the first post? Also, since this theme is pretty much confirmed, why not pin this thread?

I have added the new pics to the first post.

It's probably just preliminary.

It's DEFINITELY just preliminary. God I remember the huge clamor SP3 caused when people noticed that the early pics showed sticker decals on the minifigs. Why would LEGO spend money on printing the figs when the designs are still subject to change? Makes perfect sense.

Although I was pretty fond of SP3, I kind of hope that these sets have more of a (dare I say it) Mars Mission vibe. As bad as the aliens in MM were, at least they were somewhat menacing. These guys look like they were pulled straight out of the 80s. Not necessarily bad mind you, I just have trouble taking them seriously, which could be problematic for an "alien invasion" type of theme.

Personally though, I'm hoping for a Roswell vibe. As in, alien spacecraft in a run-down 60s-style town. That would be awesome.

Also, since this theme is pretty much confirmed, why not pin this thread?

Because its not confirmed yet. There is enough traffic to keep this on the first few pages for the time being and people often ignore pinned topics after a while.

Loving the new prelim shots whatever they are!

Personally though, I'm hoping for a Roswell vibe. As in, alien spacecraft in a run-down 60s-style town. That would be awesome.

Judging by the look of the soldier we're not getting that. I'd guess tat if we did gt a govornment/alien coverup theme then the person would look more like a secret service agent and less like a spaceman. :hmpf_bad:

Judging by the look of the soldier we're not getting that. I'd guess tat if we did gt a govornment/alien coverup theme then the person would look more like a secret service agent and less like a spaceman. :hmpf_bad:

You're probably right. :sceptic:

I love the alien design. It's not altogether menacing, but it feels like some sort of Jim Henson puppet. I can just picture him as some type of rubbery-faced alien pushing around earthlings with some type of futuristic pitchfork, making grumbling sounds.

As much as I agree that a Sci-Fi theme should be able to be taken seriously, I don't think that extremely creepy aliens are necessary for that. Minifigs are, aesthetically, not a far cry from cartoon characters, and there's a bit of dissonance if the humans feel cute and cartoony while the aliens feel like ultra-convincing nightmare fuel.

Most of the sci-fi themes I prefer from LEGO's history are among my favorites because they feel sort of dated or tongue-in-cheek-- for instance, Spyrius has a villain who looks like he was taken straight from the likes of Flash Gordon, piloting a fleet of robots and flying saucers. And the idea of extraterrestrial spies stealing satellites feels decidedly Cold-War-era to me. Yet it's a theme I have no trouble taking seriously within the context of LEGO Space.

The figures give me an idea that might be the direction this will go in (I emphasize might, so don't take this as a heart-felt belief)

This almost fits in as a sequel to the SPIII line, as the models looks similar and the alien is in the same general art style. Certainly after a few waves of police sets there are only so many law-enforcement situations you could make, but by introducing it as a new theme you open the door to possibilities like civilian sets, military sets, and of course, different alien archetypes, not just criminals.

By all appearance Enpaz is soon branching into the Space theme! He ought not to, but those images look too promising even for him to resist...

And no, I don't have any new pics, I am referring to the ones already deeplinked in this thread.

Cheers!

spacewoman.png

Now what is printed across her chest, some letters ? A new theme name perhaps ? :wink:

I have a different angle take on this, what if this is the result of the Ben10 deal, maybe we were meant to be getting Plumbers vs Bad Aliens eh ? but instead now this ?

Just a though.....

Keep on fighting off them green dudes ! :grin:

spacewoman.png

Now what is printed across her chest, some letters ? A new theme name perhaps ? :wink:

I have a different angle take on this, what if this is the result of the Ben10 deal, maybe we were meant to be getting Plumbers vs Bad Aliens eh ? but instead now this ?

Just a though.....

Keep on fighting off them green dudes ! :grin:

Looks like it says "ADF," which I'm guessing stands for "Alien Defense Force."

Looks like it says "ADF," which I'm guessing stands for "Alien Defense Force."

Well, I agree too, that does look like a D in the middle, though I didn't think first there was a third letter.....F it must be.

Why is it those poor aliens that get picked on eh ? :devil:

Keep on fighting the green hoards ! :grin:

Yeah, I too feel like this is just gonna be an upgrade of SP3, based on the looks of the figs and the speculated name of the theme. I'm guessing now the aliens aren't just mere criminals, but full-blown galactic conquerors, and this "ADF" team are sort of Starship Troopers defending the earth against them. So, basically it's SP3 but with a slightly more military vibe to it. At least that's what I imagine it will be at this point.

Either way, I hope that the aliens get a bit more focus this time around, kinda like they did in Mars Mission. SP3 was rather biased toward the humans.

well it looks like this theme will continue to demonstrate lego's xenophobia that we saw in space police III.

Are you joking? There is no xenophobia in SP3 or in any other Lego line.

Yeah if there was xenophobia then the cops would be to scared to fight them. :laugh:

There did seem to be an underlying message; there wasn't one good alien out there, just evil ones. So to anyone who is looking at these the theme is clear; human = good, non-human = bad It's segregation by species :laugh:

Most of the recent themes feature humans fighting versus different species that are supposed to be evil, as a pattern, there are no villain humans or good non-humans in these themes.

The power miners are probably invading and destroying the rock monster's home but they are the good guys.

The divers in atlantis seem to be treasure scavengers that the sea people are trying to defend against.

The space police seems to like species profiling. For example, in the case of freeze ray frenzy, there is no indication Kranx did anything wrong, besides being orange, that is.

In the pre-kingdoms castle waves, it is humans vs. trolls, at least trolls have affiliation with undead so maybe this time they really are evil.

Pharaoh's quest also features undead enemies, so maybe they really are evil, or is this my own prejudice against undead that is showing?

Edited by vexorian

The space police seems to like species profiling. For example, in the case of freeze ray frenzy, there is no indication Kranx did anything wrong, besides being orange, that is.

He was speeding, running red lights and not stopping at stop signs, I know I'd use my freeze ray if I saw someone doing that. :laugh:

am i the only one excited about the possibility of trans-clear visors?

good spot! I will be retrofitting my entire CS moonbase staff when these babies come out. I am a massive fan of lego aliens in general, this fellow doesn`t do it for me yet.

The power miners are probably invading and destroying the rock monster's home but they are the good guys.

The story that's plainly explained in the commercials, the magazine comics, and pretty much everything else about Power Miners is that the rock monsters are eating the crystals and causing earthquakes. The Power Miners have been sent to stop the earthquakes. The line is open-ended-- there's never anything explaining exactly what the Power Miners are supposed to do once they've found the Rock Monsters, but the reasons for the conflict are clearly established.

In Freeze Ray Frenzy, there is a stop-light and a stop sign. The obvious intended play scenario is for Frenzy to run the red light/stop sign and for the cop to catch him.

In the pre-kingdoms castle waves, it is humans vs. trolls, at least trolls have affiliation with undead so maybe this time they really are evil.

Yep. The humans are defending their kingdom against the undead in the first wave and against the trolls in the second wave.

Pharaoh's quest also features undead enemies, so maybe they really are evil, or is this my own prejudice against undead that is showing?

Again, the story behind it states that if Amset-Ra gets his hands on the treasures when he awakens, he will use them to TAKE OVER THE WORLD! :devil:

In truth, all of these story explanations are mainly excuses for the non-humans to be the "bad guys" and the humans to be the "good guys". Even without this backstory, we all know which side would be treated as the "good guys".

However, expecting anything different from LEGO is unrealistic. Stories have for centuries had heroes that the listeners can identify with, and villains that appeal to a primal fear of the unknown or "different". Was Agents teaching kids that people with prosthetics are evil? Was Dino Attack teaching kids that any animals that are scarier or more powerful than us should be taken down with heavy weaponry? Was Aquazone teaching us that anyone with angry eye decals on their vehicles is evil?

Perhaps, but not intentionally. Not a single one of these themes was meant as a lesson to kids-- instead, they were all meant as stories. And if you were to disavow any stories where the villains are made "different" than the heroes, then you'd be needlessly getting rid of several perfectly good stories where that physical distinction is used for literary effect.

If it helps your adult sensibilities, you can very easily decide for yourself that the established "bad guys" in any theme are in fact the "good guys" and the established "good guys" are the "bad guys". That's the power of imagination. But there's no need to act as though LEGO is indoctrinating kids into a xenophobic way of thinking. Instead, LEGO is just playing with established ways of thinking kids probably already have. And to be honest, it's silly to think it's a building toy's place to make real change in what's considered acceptable storytelling.

Pretty sure space police just put the stop lights and signs on space just so that they can capture orange aliens. I mean, it is space! You are either traveling in hyperspace and thus breaking the light speed limit or you are stationary waiting for hyperspace to become available.

good spot! I will be retrofitting my entire CS moonbase staff when these babies come out. I am a massive fan of lego aliens in general, this fellow doesn`t do it for me yet.

For some reason I think the visor might be trans light blue.

Edited by vexorian