Fugazi

2011 Alien Conquest

If this is true, then I'm super excited!!! Though I'm worried what the aliens will look like. I absolutely was disgusted with the aliens from Mars Mission, but I think the aliens from SP3 were awesome. So, hopefully they will be closer to SP3. I hope we don't have to wait to much longer to get more information about this theme if the rumor is true. And hopefully some pictures come along with any new news too!

First thing I thought was that someone had seen a photo of the series 3 minifigs... well, now I'm not sure. I will watch & wait, because "time reveals all things". Then I will comment more deliberately.

If this is true, then I'm super excited!!! Though I'm worried what the aliens will look like. I absolutely was disgusted with the aliens from Mars Mission, but I think the aliens from SP3 were awesome. So, hopefully they will be closer to SP3. I hope we don't have to wait to much longer to get more information about this theme if the rumor is true. And hopefully some pictures come along with any new news too!

Personally I think at least one alien that looks more like in earlier space themes, with just a normal minifig head in green or blue or something instead of the new specialized ones, would be nice. The aliens can't ALL have tentacles on their faces or eye stalks or whatever.

Ice Planet did have an awesome color scheme, but I think Power Miners are a good example of why LEGO experimenting with unusual schemes can go very very wrong.

YMMV. I thought the Power Miners color scheme was beautiful, particularly for the first year. It was a lot more exciting than the color scheme for Rock Raiders, even if that did establish a nice strong contrast with bright yellow and bright bluish green accents.

Second year of Power Miners also had a nice color scheme, but it was very poorly arranged on Lavatraz. In the Fire Blaster and Magma Mech sets it was spot-on.

Meanwhile, I don't see how a supposedly "ugly green color" for minifigs really says anything about how the color scheme for the theme will be. I'm unsure what color it could be referring to, though. Chances are it's either an already existing green color in the 2010 palette or an unreleased yellowish green or bluish green color (some of which can be seen on LDD 4.0 and more of which could be seen on 3.0).

Those new colors might be somewhat horrendous-- they're mostly pastel colors, and I'm fairly certain they're specifically for "girls' themes" or Duplo, but they've got to be appearing in some future sets since they have even higher color ID numbers than the four new colors released in 2010. For reference, the two we have names for are 323 Aqua and 326 Spring Yellowish Green. The new colors to the LEGO color palette for 2010 are (to my knowledge) 311 Transparent Bright Green, 312 Medium Nougat, 315 Silver Metallic, and 316 Titanium Metallic.

Collectible Minifig Series 3 anyone? http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45046

That's what I think this is. Strange battle pack, alien with green head and something that looks like a Power Miner soldier...

Edit: Image!

5139679688_1748a599ef_o.jpg

You could be right, but he mentioned seeing 2 green aliens and 2 power miner type figs and a civilian guy in the battle pack. And he mentioned that there was a name included for the theme(something along the lines of Alien Invasion), but he wasn't sure. So, I'm still holding out for a new space theme.

Edited by Wowplayer

Collectible Minifig Series 3 anyone? http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45046

That's what I think this is. Strange battle pack, alien with green head and something that looks like a Power Miner soldier...

Edit: Image!

*Snip*

Just because both just so happen to have a green alien doesn't mean they are the same. I'm not seeing any Power Miner type guys or civilians.

Ice Planet did have an awesome color scheme, but I think Power Miners are a good example of why LEGO experimenting with unusual schemes can go very very wrong.

See, I've never felt that Power Miner's color scheme was bad at all. Sure, the combination of orange and lime may have seemed initially weird, but it grew on me a lot. Besides, there were so many other things to like about the theme IMO that the colors were the least of my worries. :sceptic:

I think Power Miners are a good example of why LEGO experimenting with unusual schemes can go very very wrong.

Wrong.

The Power Miners color scheme is based on real underground mining craft and vehicles.

The colors may be weird, but blame them for that. Dark colors wouldn't be easy to spot in the dark, under the surface of earth,

hence the color scheme - which is, like I already said, based on real vehicles.

~ General Magma

Wrong.

The Power Miners color scheme is based on real underground mining craft and vehicles.

The colors may be weird, but blame them for that. Dark colors wouldn't be easy to spot in the dark, under the surface of earth,

hence the color scheme - which is, like I already said, based on real vehicles.

~ General Magma

Now that's rather silly. Power Miners is clearly a fantasy theme so why would LEGO have to base the color scheme off of real vehicles? Especially when it's so... strange looking. Rock Raiders wasn't lime green and orange... It's still LEGO's aesthetic decision.

That said, Mars Mission is another reason why LEGO's not the greatest with color combinations. I don't find it at all surprising that these new sets involved a "disgusting color of green". But still, if this is legit, I think it could be very interesting. I actually liked UFO.

Now that's rather silly. Power Miners is clearly a fantasy theme so why would LEGO have to base the color scheme off of real vehicles? Especially when it's so... strange looking. Rock Raiders wasn't lime green and orange... It's still LEGO's aesthetic decision.

That said, Mars Mission is another reason why LEGO's not the greatest with color combinations. I don't find it at all surprising that these new sets involved a "disgusting color of green". But still, if this is legit, I think it could be very interesting. I actually liked UFO.

As has been said, we know squat about the color scheme of the sets. All we know about is the color of the figs. Given that the alien in your avatar has a transparent fluorescent reddish orange head with gold printing (and that other aliens from the same theme had transparent fluorescent green heads), I don't see how a fig with an unnaturally-colored head is any kind of a problem. :tongue:

Anyway, as far as "strange-looking" is concerned, you could say the same thing about pretty much any set from any theme. Why would submarines be transparent blue, transparent fluorescent reddish orange, yellow, and black? I've certainly never seen a real submarine in those colors. Or how about bright blue, black, red, and transparent fluorescent reddish orange? Still a really unnatural color scheme. Ice Planet 2002, as you admitted, has a pretty unusual color scheme, and there's nothing making it any better or worse than the Power Miners color scheme when it comes to looking attractive or making sense. Whether any color scheme is good or bad is a matter of opinion, and I (along with several other people, it would seem) found the Power Miners color scheme eye-catching and attractive (just as I loved the Aquazone color schemes back in my childhood).

This isn't to say that a color scheme cannot be carried out badly. Even the best color schemes can be organized ineffectively-- otherwise, you'd basically be making the assumption that sets with the same color pieces would automatically look just as attractive as one another. Suppose you took the Aquanauts color scheme I mentioned, and made half a submarine's windows transparent fluorescent reddish orange and half of them transparent blue? That wouldn't make sense, nor would it be particularly attractive. So you want the color schemes to be consistent and well-arranged. Some of the Power Miners sets were better at this than others. But the color scheme in and of itself-- bright yellowish green, bright orange, black, white, and neutral grays-- is not particularly egregious in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to know more about why LEGO thought that color scheme was a good idea, you might could speak to Nabii, who was a set designer for many recent themes including Power Miners. I imagine he'll probably be involved in this new theme as well, but as a LEGO employee his lips are sealed when it comes to news of unreleased sets, so we'll have to wait until the theme is out before he might enlighten us about any questions that remain at that point.

I generally like color schemes that produce sharp contrast with only a few colors. As far as sci-fi models go, I prefer this to anything that looks realistic, i.e. neutral colors with trans-black/clear windshields. One of my favorite color schemes in recent times is that of the Mars Mission aliens, although the actual models were pretty mediocre.

I'm not a fan of the Power Miners colors though. There are too many different bright colors used at the same time. Lime green, orange or blue on their own would have been great, but the combined effect lacks the contrasted look that I like to see.

Edited by CP5670

Ah. Thanks Fugazi. Yea, it's pretty much the shade of green we are seeing in the minifigure series 3 if I'm not wrong. For me... it just does not seem eye pleasing for some reason. I remembered a bit more details: The aliens in the supposedly battlepack hold the raygun from the minifigure series, with a trans-orange stud on it, so I don't think we will be seeing lightsaber sticks here. The Civilian Militia or something, although I can't remember what they were wearing, seem to be holding a weapon of a new mold, very interesting design that is all I can recall though, can't exactly remember the shape, just remember it's a new mold.

Also note: All I just saw were the minifigures from the battlepack, which means it's most likely going to be like those of the Pirate and Castle Battlepacks too. Although it's interesting that they did not separate the good and the bad guys?

Edited by Sajer

I don't know. There are no other reports of this and 'battlepack' sounds dubious.

I am not sure what lifestyle is. But it could as well be that he saw old sets in the catalog and did not pay much attention (cares more about pirates). He could have actually seen Raid VPR ... I mean, discusting green and a fig that looks like a power miner...

Also, regarding this. For retailers in my country, lifestyle products usually refer to Lego products that are not sets, like keychains, bags and surprisingly also battlepacks that are boxed up in plastic. So, the things that I saw are definitely not old sets from the catalog. Also, TLG seems to be using minifigures of the Collectible minifigs to sort of path a way for their new themes, like the Pharoh, Ninja and Mummy. It's also strange that they should release a Mummy collectible minifig when a theme along that line will come out along the planned released date, so the same trend may be seen with the Alien of a disgusting green in Minifigure Series 3?

But then again, my memory is really failing me, I only remembered the 'Alien' word in the new theme, as I was only given a quick glance at the pdf, so 'Invasion' could actually have been, 'Attack', 'Revenge' or... something along that line. You do have a reason to doubt me I guess vexorian, as I also can't exactly remember how the humans looked like, only along the lines of power minerish or space police III like. I guess it could be just the typical Human against other species kind of figures TLG has been producing recently for their themes like Atlantis, Power Miners and Space Police. Also, regarding the Civilian-like-figure, if my memory serves me right, he was holding a briefcase.

*Really sorry for being such a lousy news-provider, didn't have in mind to absorb everything on the spot, was just stunned then that PotC news actually got to my retailer before anyone else in EB leaked the information, and was also trying to comprehend PotC as I had not watched any of the movies then.*

Edited by Sajer

Also, regarding this. For retailers in my country, lifestyle products usually refer to Lego products that are not sets, like keychains, bags and surprisingly also battlepacks that are boxed up in plastic. So, the things that I saw are definitely not old sets from the catalog. Also, TLG seems to be using minifigures of the Collectible minifigs to sort of path a way for their new themes, like the Pharoh, Ninja and Mummy. It's also strange that they should release a Mummy collectible minifig when a theme along that line will come out along the planned released date, so the same trend may be seen with the Alien of a disgusting green in Minifigure Series 3?

But then again, my memory is really failing me, I only remembered the 'Alien' word in the new theme, as I was only given a quick glance at the pdf, so 'Invasion' could actually have been, 'Attack', 'Revenge' or... something along that line. You do have a reason to doubt me I guess vexorian, as I also can't exactly remember how the humans looked like, only along the lines of power minerish or space police III like. I guess it could be just the typical Human against other species kind of figures TLG has been producing recently for their themes like Atlantis, Power Miners and Space Police. Also, regarding the Civilian-like-figure, if my memory serves me right, he was holding a briefcase.

*Really sorry for being such a lousy news-provider, didn't have in mind to absorb everything on the spot, was just stunned then that PotC news actually got to my retailer before anyone else in EB leaked the information, and was also trying to comprehend PotC as I had not watched any of the movies then.*

I cannot thank you enough for providing these details. I am very much into creature figs, so aliens always excite me :)

can you recall any details of the alien figs? teeth? tentacles? eyes?

I cannot thank you enough for providing these details. I am very much into creature figs, so aliens always excite me :)

can you recall any details of the alien figs? teeth? tentacles? eyes?

I'm afraid I can't recall much at the moment as I only had but a short glimpse at the images, hopefully I may be able to look at it again to provide you all more details. I will try. But for now, there really isn't much to say about the aliens other than that they are just like the squidman from SPIII, a body with a molded head, no helmets and all.

I think this theme is going to have a very B-Movie-esque vibe to it - I'm hoping for domed flying saucers with huge death rays underneath, War of the Worlds style three legged walkers, fish-bowl space helmets, civilians running in terror and bug-eyed aliens, the sort that people were hoping for in the series 3 minigigures. Also, I hope this theme is set around the 50's. And features a minifgure Vincent Price :wub:

Okay, so we wont get the last one, but...the rest would be great and I personally think it's not too unlikely.

Will/Rocketbilly

I would like to see some more eyestalk aliens or prehaps some glow-in-the-dark heads. And an Area 51 type of playset.

Both of those would be great! if they did the playset then I can imagine it would have holding cells not unlike those included with Space Police 3, so the captured Aliens could break out, and maybe some sort of prototype jet made with reverse engineered Alien technology or something.

I'd also like for the theme to continue what Space Police did with some little nods to past Space themes - perhaps slip in a UFO logo or an alien with a similar helmet or something along those lines.

Will/Rocketbilly

This sounds really promising. I can't wait to see a set list or pictures!

Well given that we alrready have mysterious pictures of the summer Ninjago sets out-of-box, I imagine we'll be seeing other new summer releases soon as well. If not, then I think we'll at least get a teaser logo or something at Toyfair.

A month or so ago, in a Lego survey...the question was included would we like to see army stuff....a Lego city army vs. alien invaders.....possible maybe.....I guess we'll find out early next year eh ?

Keep on fighting them aliens. :alien: