tin7_creations

Review: 2516 Ninja Training Outpost

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I got 2 more sets today; pre-Christmas rushed has cleared out my local TRU of all the other Ninjago sets however; I may have to wait until a later date to buy more. This is the smallest and cheapest Ninjago set; and just from the box art, I can already tell that it's more worthwhile to purchase than the game sets.

Name: Ninja Training Outpost

Set Number: 2516

Pieces: 45

Price: $6.99 CAD

Ages: 6-12

Minifigs: 1

Theme: Ninjago

Year of Release: 2011

The Box

Front

5289400158_2437d7138a.jpg

Back

5288797953_ebcc2a1284.jpg

The Contents

5289400402_583ccc91d6.jpg

The Instruction Manual

5289400500_3e9119cf8e.jpg

Random Page

5289400604_69f9a01bba.jpg

Parts List

5288798327_52baaae1f5.jpg

The Minifig

5289400814_572733a046.jpg

This minifig is NOT Chinese plastic. So I'm assuming that none of the set minifigs are Chinese plastic, only the game set ones.

The Accessories

5289400982_0bd67fc4e7.jpg

5289401076_362a1a3b2b.jpg

This seems to be a new hilt for the katana, squarish with concave sides.

The Target

5288798701_c866df20f4.jpg

The Weapons Rack

5288798799_7bee67c43a.jpg

Extra Pieces

5289399992_2455be1cf4.jpg

There's nothing special about this set; no new pieces or anything. But it proves that only the game set minifigs are made with Chinese plastic.

Ratings:

Playability: 6/10 Playability is passable, having the Ninjas do target practice; I've never find much use for it though.

Design: 8/10 I really like the weapons rack; it has the Japanese architecture style to it.

Price: 8/10 At $7 for 45 pieces, very reasonable.

Minifigures: 10/10 The minifigure in this set are the normal TLG ABS. WIN!

Parts: 6/10 No new parts. But the katana has a different hilt.

Total: 8/10 Simple, yet effective.

~tin7_creations

Edited by Peppermint_M

Nice review! I guess my plan was right: Buy the foour cheapest Ninjago sets, and you will get all four ninjas that ARE good plastic.

I will definetly get this, maybe even 5 or more because of its price. :thumbup:

Nice review. At least you made one good purchase :tongue:

This year's $6.99 range of sets is really nice :thumbup:

Woohoo, now this set looks really promising! It reminds me of the old days with the classic ninja line... must-get for me!

Thanks for the review, tin7! Very nice as always. I feel that you should get a title: "Mr McNinjaGO!" or something. :tongue:

Enpaz

Now, this is one of the sets I will certainly be getting. Thanks for these reviews. I am compiling a list for my trip to the Lego shop on Monday :classic:

I do like the new squared hilt of the sword.

You forgot to put pictures showing his face! :tongue:

Great set, everyone is happy- its a small set with BOW. Finaly!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Thanks for another review tin7! Now this set is definitely better than the game card packs. Hmmm, so there really is a distinct difference between the regular set figs and the card game figs (Ironically, the standard Lego plastic minifig of this set is much cheaper than the China plastic figs in the game card packs). It's nice to see also the accurate squarish hilt of the katana.

Thanks for the review. Maybe this set won't be so bad but I'm not sure. This set seems fine but the others are too childish. I might get a few just for the ninja minifigures but I'm not too interested in this theme.

Again, Thanks for the Review :thumbup:

Thanks for the review 'tin7_creations', I find this a cool set, except a spinner would have lifted the playabilty ranking to the max.....eh ?

Apart from that I see this set as an introduction set usually purchased by grandparents or a quick-it's-somebodies-birthday party-tomorrow kind of purchase. :wink:

Keep on spinning ! :grin:

Nice review. Yay, square hilt for katana. :classic:

I must say, though, that because the spinner packs are Chinese (according to your earlier reviews), that's basically ruined my entire plan of building ninja armies. Thanks for that, though, because I would choose the better variety over the Chinese plastic.

I like this set, it's very traditional in design, and the price is superb. If only they had one of these for every ninja.... Having said that, I'm liking this new trend in Lego; to provide a ton of accessories with every minifigure, can't wait to see wave 2 :thumbup:

Edited by Sirens-Of-Titan

Great review, tin7! I'll definitely be getting this set, because of the low price of it and the great ninja minifig in it. :classic:

Very well done on the review. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Thanks for the Review Tin7!

The set looks very decent for the $7 you payed for it. There are some nice parts in there and the Ninja is cool, with nice printing.

I reckon if these are on sale I might get some, for the parts.

CF

Great review of a nice, compact little set. I have to say that i rated this set average, although I absolutely plan on getting it, thanks to your very helpful review!

Didn't see it mentioned in the review anywhere, but one of the neat things about this little set is that it is set up so that you can connect up to 4 of these sets together, similar to how the Green Grocer/modular sets connect to one another. Why you would buy 4 I'm not sure, but still a cool detail.

EDIT:

The Dojo also has this ability, which means you could add 2 of these to round off the corners on that set, or you could connect 2 or more Dojos together.

Edited by captainsamus

Thanks for the to the point review. I just picked up a pair here in Tokyo I and will probably get 2 to 4 more to build up a small army. I like the weapons rack, especially the paper lantern in the middle.

I like this set, for the fact that its about half the price of the game figure, and doesn't use Chinese plastic.

The only downside is TLG knows how easy it is to get black ninja pieces, so the other set figures like Zane and Jay will cost a lot more to get.

Didn't see it mentioned in the review anywhere, but one of the neat things about this little set is that it is set up so that you can connect up to 4 of these sets together, similar to how the Green Grocer/modular sets connect to one another. Why you would buy 4 I'm not sure, but still a cool detail.

They should have made 4 different versions of this set using the different ninjas.

I actually have brought two of these and fitted them one each side of the dojo....also the fact that my son traded Cole without asking ! :hmpf_bad:

Pity you couldn't choose the Ninja with that small set.....but hey for 9 bucks AU what do you expect ! :wink:

Again, keep on spinning ! :grin:

Nice review, I too have both card pack and box set minifigs. They don't feel as cheap as you all make them to be.... :sceptic: