Sign in to follow this  
Baylego

Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This was one of the most important moments in American history: the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima that brought about the end of WWII.

5286468238_5a195bb232.jpg

Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima by Baylego, on Flickr

Here is an up close shot of the flag.

5285859675_f316749706.jpg

Flag by Baylego, on Flickr

I hope you like it!

Note: I know there were only 48 states then, but I am going to use this in later time period MOCs :wink:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Nice to see another one of these little scenes. Your flag design is nice and different. Well Done :thumbup:

Thanks for Sharing :classic:

Very well done Baylego, the 'waving' flag effect is quite realistic, though it's a shame that a brick-built star pattern cannot be achieved at such small scale. Still, nice work on this one! :thumbup:

This is a nice little moc baylego!

It brings back memorys of how my grandpa always told me about him in this battle. :laugh:

Your right also this is a very important part of american history.

We should never forgert about the marines who risked there lifes for the stop of ww2.

Nice job again!

Very nice representation of the historic day. The flag looks really nice. I like the printed stars since there isn't any other way to get all of them.

Great job :thumbup:

This was one of the most important moments in American history: the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima that brought about the end of WWII.

Uhm, not to be pedantic, OK, a little bit, but saying that the raising of the flag on Mount Suribachi "brought about the end of WWII" is inaccurate. A bit like saying Operation Varsity or the Battle of the Bulge brought about the end of the war in Europe. All important components of victory but none decided the war.

Nice MOC of an iconic moment in American history. :thumbup:

The waving flag is brilliant. :classic:

Uhm, not to be pedantic, OK, a little bit, but saying that the raising of the flag on Mount Suribachi "brought about the end of WWII" is inaccurate. A bit like saying Operation Varsity or the Battle of the Bulge brought about the end of the war in Europe. All important components of victory but none decided the war.

Ted, You took the word's right out of my mouth. After the flag was raised, the battle still raged for 31 days till later, on March 26 it was captured, It was simply a propoganda image, not the Americans "pwning" the entire war to a close and kicking Hitler in the face. :laugh:

Still, Nice flag! Was there a medic raising the flag?

First, let me say that this is awesome. Great flag, and great vig from a crucial point in American History.

Was there a medic raising the flag?

Now, to answer this question, are two reference pictures...

IwoJima1.jpg

Here's the original picture. No medics, as far as I can tell.

iwo-jima-picture.jpg

And the memorial. Still no medics.

Oh, by the way, there were only 48 stars on the flag at the time of WWII. Alaska and Hawaii weren't states until the Fifties.

First, let me say that this is awesome. Great flag, and great vig from a crucial point in American History.

Now, to answer this question, are two reference pictures...

IwoJima1.jpg

Here's the original picture. No medics, as far as I can tell.

iwo-jima-picture.jpg

And the memorial. Still no medics.

Oh, by the way, there were only 48 stars on the flag at the time of WWII. Alaska and Hawaii weren't states until the Fifties.

I'm just wondering why 1 of the soldiers has a medic helmet. And also like he said "Note: I know there were only 48 states then, but I am going to use this in later time period MOCs"

Whoops, must have overlooked that. Sorry.

And I think he used the medic helmet because that was on hand.

Well what is interesting is that the famous photograph and statue is actually the second time they raised the flag at Iwo Jima. There were actually another group that did it earlier and the army redid it to photograph it. Oh and I think that the reason one of them is a medic is he only got one of that set.

I think the waving flag is very nicely done. The fact that you had to paint on the stars bothers me slightly, though that may just be me being annoying. Also, though the flag is awesome, the rather bland base detracts from the over-all appeal of this MOC.

I think the waving flag is very nicely done. The fact that you had to paint on the stars bothers me slightly, though that may just be me being annoying.

Oh, but if you look closely, you'll see that he painted the stars on a separate piece of cloth or paper, and applied it to the brick. It's not painted on the brick, so I assume it can be taken off.