The Real Indiana Jones

Awesome Set Ideas LEGO Should Steal from Playmobil

OMG, I was at TRU yesterday to see if they had any new sets. All they had was the silly Garmadon's Fortress, so I went over to spy on the Playmobil and the Schleich sections...

OMG, L@@K AT THIS STUFF!! DUDE, They have a COLOSSEUM!! We don't even have a LION!! Who has the ear of a LEGO Ambassador?!

They have at least thirty different sets in the Roman/Egyptian line, so it is obviously popular and profitable.

A Colosseum, Lions, Chariots, Caesar, Tribal Mercenaries, Historical Civilians, Cleopatra...

Dude, Don't let some pre-fab toddler's toy "school" us like this...! *oh2**huh*:cry_sad:

5197WSDKPTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41s4Blt01RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg518YVX0MZ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51hCobtyQ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41%2BhWVLdA6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51ME95ATCRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Indeed, I have known about these playmobil sets and have even bought some of the roman ones for the novelty value. The romans are great, and the idea of a full-blown roman/Egypt theme is something Lego should adopt. I for one would jump at the opportunity to buy such sets. However, even right now there are ways to replicate a roman/Egyptian theme. For instance, the collectible minifigures have many useful figs, such as the "spartan" soldier and the Egyptian pharaoh. Also, with some modding it would be possible to make a decent chariot from this:

lego-castle-7078-kings-battle-chariot-02.jpg

Additionally, the pharaoh's quest theme has brought some ancient egyptian structures, albeit <insert that tiresome argument>, to the world of lego. Also of note is the revival of the pharaoh's headdress and sarcophahus, in addition to the half-human bird and anubis god figs and the new Egyptian accessories..

7327-1.jpglego-pharaohs-quest-7326-rise-of-the-sphinx-02-300x201.png

And finally, the by-far most useful set for these purposes is the new Atlantis set, with an army of roman columns and other roman features:

5260955703_a023d4db7e_z.jpg

Of course, there is still some missing things as you said. For instance, while tunics are possible with lego capes, a real tunic piece would be welcome, also, as you said, a Colosseum is something that will never be made outside a fully-fledged roman theme. A lion piece is something lego has never done, and more "proper" ancient egypt things are needed. But overall, while lego itself may never release an ancient civilizations line, it has fed us with enough raw material to let us cobble some roman and egyptian stuff together with our imaginations.

To be honest I don't think lego needs to steal ideas from a toddlers toy manufacturer. I think if we give lego time and give our support to these types of themes then they will probably do them. Anyway, Lego have started to do such things in the last few year- the Collectible Spartan, Castle Chariot and as said above the introduction of the ancient Atlantis sets.

Of course, there is still some missing things as you said...

...it has fed us with enough raw material to let us cobble some roman and egyptian stuff together with our imaginations.

Oh, yes, I totally love Pharaoh's Quest! Love the Anubis and Horus! And I have all the BrickForge pieces. So now I just want MORE...!! :wub:

- Real printed figs, like Caesar and Cleopatra, more Ancient Gods, etc...

- specialized iconic architectural pieces

- specialized iconic artifact pieces

- more ancient warriors

- more ancient civilians

- including female figs, c'mon LEGO!

For starters, they should just look and see what other famous well-established good-quality European brands like Playmobil and Schleich have already created profitably, and then just go ahead and copy all of the ideas they have not done in LEGO yet...

IF YOU SEE PICS OF AWESOME TOYS, MADE BY THE COMPETITION, THAT LEGO SHOULD COPY, POST THEM HERE AS INSPIRATION!!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

To be honest I don't think lego needs to steal ideas from a toddlers toy manufacturer.....

Well, of course, LEGO makes some cute toddler's themes too... The Winnie-The-Pooh and Duplo sets are for toddlers, but if they make money, then make more!! :wink:

I agree such themes would be very tempting in Lego. Very tempting, indeed. :classic:

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll get anything like this anytime soon, though...

Those Romans would be awesome!!

Well, of course, LEGO makes some cute toddler's themes too... The Winnie-The-Pooh and Duplo sets are for toddlers, but if they make money, then make more!! :wink:

Wow, and I forgot to mention Primo, Toy Story, Mickey Mouse, and good 'ol SpongeBob SquarePants...! :laugh:

And basically, we are all talking about a toy line for 6-12 year olds, right?

Anyway, I will be engaged before Valentine's Day, so I will see you guys in 2020 when my kids are about 3!

Peace, and Merry Christmas to all!!

Indy Out.

a Colosseum is something that will never be made outside a fully-fledged roman theme.

I disagree. I think that a Colosseum is fully possible with the Architecture line. Sure, it may be a current-day rendition, but it would be a Colosseum nevertheless.

I disagree. I think that a Colosseum is fully possible with the Architecture line. Sure, it may be a current-day rendition, but it would be a Colosseum nevertheless.

That is true... You can easily do a small vignette of it yourself with an order from BrickLink, and of course BrickForge has an amazing variety of Greco-Roman and Gladiator parts.

From Wikipedia

220px-Roman_Colosseum_With_Moon.jpg250px-Jean-Leon_Gerome_Pollice_Verso.jpg280px-The_Christian_Martyrs_Last_Prayer.jpg250px-Colosseum_in_Rome%2C_Italy_-_April_2007.jpg

531px-L-Kolloseum.png

Merry Christmas!

Indy Out

This question comes up every few months, or at least some discussion regarding Playmobil, LEGO, and other brands. As a big fan of both LEGO and Playmobil, I actually enjoy reading these discussions and the points presented.

To be honest I don't think lego needs to steal ideas from a toddlers toy manufacturer.

IMO they've been doing it for many years, and vice-versa. Just last year, Playmobil came out with their awesome Egyptian theme. Many Playmobil fans label the theme historically accurate as well as highly detailed; in fact, some of the best Playmobil figures produced from the quality of the details. Now we see LEGO go back to Adventurers with Pharaoh's Quest. Unfortunately, LEGO didn't offer a Romans theme like Playmobil, but if enough AFOL express interest, we may just see Romans in the future.

As far as Playmobil being a "Toddler Toy", many adult toy fans enjoy Playmobil as well. In fact, around my Christmas Tree is a Playmobil G-scale train that I set up just about every year, as well as a new Egyptian diorama nearby. Check Ebay sometimes for older sets that adult collectors are after. They go for hundreds of dollars.

Don't discount Playmobil, especially with their high quality plastic, detail, and desire to create themes that appeal to many, especially adult fans. They'll be around a long time, just like LEGO, and offer ideas that LEGO can certainly incorporate.

The Colosseum would need to be the Mon Calamari of the Greek/Roman line.

What I think is that they should mix mythology with actual life. The sets would feature interactions between man and the gods and other mythical beings.

Some off the head sets:

-Impulse Spice Vender, River Fisherman, Young Olympian Training, bazaar shopkeeper, Vulcan's Forge

-9.99 Battle Chariot, Harpy Battle, The Fates

-12.99 Athena's Temple

-39.99 Hydra Battle

-64.99 Hades' Realm

-79.99 Mount Olympus

-109.99 Colosseum

JUSTIN YUM CAN GO SOMEWHERE, COLLOSEUM IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE AND NOBODY WANTS TO USE CAPES FOR TUNICS ITS DUMB!!! JEEZ GOT FAP ON YOUR FAKE TUNICS.

JUSTIN YUM GTFO! WTF MAN ROTFLMAO MY WAFFLES BRO UMAD?? i TROLL YOU BRO IM FROM ENGLAND BRO

You know, I think this solidifies my New Year's Resolution to spend less time online...! =)

Fortune and Glory!

Indy Out

I used to collect Playmobil. great solid toys. I would like to see Lego take on real racing, like how Playmobil used to.

i know lego has done Ferrari. But I would like to see rally. Playmobil made a great set for the Paris Dakar rally.

Here is what im talking about. It is my favorite playmobil set.

http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/4420.htm

I would also like to see SWAT in Lego. I know there are aftermarket people to supply my need. But I still would like to see it official from Lego.

To be honest I don't think lego needs to steal ideas from a toddlers toy manufacturer.

I think it too. But unfortunately LEGO did it.

Two examples from the pirate-theme:

4129.jpg

lego_6240_piraten_floss.jpg

playmobil-kompaktset-pirateninsel-4139.gif

lego-piraten-schatzinsel-6241.gif

I don't know what happend with LEGO. Why a NinjaGo theme were skeletons fighting against Ninjas if they could make a real Asia-theme. Why a Pharao-Quest theme if they could make a real Pharao-theme? Why a Atlantis theme with buildings in antique-style if they could make a real Antique theme.

I see here on Eurobricks in different threads your amazing ideas concerning these themes and what doing LEGO?

....hmmm, I'm speechless. Why ignored LEGO us? :hmpf_bad:

Yes, those new themes are a bit of a disappointment to me, too. If you are going to make big, expensive sets, don't use half the parts for big monsters and for men with guns that come crashing into the temples and pyramids. Apparently boys want fighting stuff and Lego gives them fighting stuff. Or maybe they want fighting stuff BECAUSE Lego gives them fighting stuff.

But, to return to the original question: Playmobil made a Sinterklaas specifically for the Dutch market!

playmobil-4893-sinterklaas-en-zwarte-piet.jpg

Now THAT is a cool idea.

OMG, I was at TRU yesterday to see if they had any new sets. All they had was the silly Garmadon's Fortress, so I went over to spy on the Playmobil and the Schleich sections...

OMG, L@@K AT THIS STUFF!! DUDE, They have a COLOSSEUM!! We don't even have a LION!! Who has the ear of a LEGO Ambassador?!

They have at least thirty different sets in the Roman/Egyptian line, so it is obviously popular and profitable.

A Colosseum, Lions, Chariots, Caesar, Tribal Mercenaries, Historical Civilians, Cleopatra...

Dude, Don't let some pre-fab toddler's toy "school" us like this...! *oh2**huh*:cry_sad:

5197WSDKPTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41s4Blt01RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg518YVX0MZ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51hCobtyQ%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41%2BhWVLdA6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51ME95ATCRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Legolandtimes3 has created this awesome MOC: Link to BS

- vwry well done in my opinion!