wooootles

Modular Building 2011

The castle thing isn't a rumor, we have prelim pictures of the animals in question.

I have heard that, can you link or pm me please. All though, I have not seen chickens in a pet store.

In a discussion I had with Berard, he said people have been guessing what the next modular is -- Pet Shop, Post Office, Bank.. I have yet to hear anyone guess a Bank. Maybe this is an indication that it could be? Strange that he'd bring it up despite no one guessing it..

I also asked for a comment about the screengrab of the next modular in the background of the LEGO jobs video. His official comment was "no comment" :hmpf_bad:

Well, a bank has been mentioned in this thread already, though. And I would also really love a bank, with some greekish pillars or something, a bit majestic. Grand is the word.

I've been checking in hoping some information would come out, but if you guys don't know anything concrete, guess we keep waiting. I would prefer a bank/post office/library over a pet shop. Seems to me that the choice for buildings is directed more at the aesthetics and interests of adults, whereas a pet shop is more a youth theme. I bet it would be cool, the candy store MOC on here was possibly the most beautiful modular creation I have seen, but I don't feel it would fit with the other ones as well. I guess we wait longer and I finally decide to break down and get Tower Bridge while I wait and hope I have enough spare money when the modular is finally announced. Thanks for letting a lurker enjoy the speculation.

marcus

I've been wondering (pure speculation), but what if it's a building with a small passage in the middel, where on one side there would be a pet shop, and on the other one another type of shop?

That would be interesting, building-wise, and could do justice to the pet shop thing, i can't imagine a pet shop being as big as a 'grand emporium base floor' to be honest...

We'll just have to wait and see, as people before me already said :classic:

Bearing in mind how much lead time is required in a) model concepts, b) fine tuning c) prototype production and testing, d) finishing the final and producing stock... it is quite likely that a Bank could be the hint for 2012.

Hi,

After reading alot of posts the 3 that stand out are post office, will go nicely with the old post van set, pet shop, plenty of animals to choose from, sounds difficult to pull off but if they have done it I bet it will be amazing or a bank, it doesn't matter that TLG already has a city bank, the city theme and modular theme are aimed at 2 different consumers, kids & adults.

I'm killing myself like everyone else over this, I hope there is some news soon.

I wouldn't mind if it is an old police station or hospital, but the main 3 here are post office, pet shop or bank so it will be either one of those.

Just my 2 cents (pennies).

I prefer a bank or a post office above a pet shop tbh. But it doesnt matter really. Im gonna buy it anyways :)

Im just checking this topic 3 times a day hoping for some news! Come on!! The wait is horrible!!

I prefer a bank or a post office above a pet shop tbh. But it doesnt matter really. Im gonna buy it anyways :)

Im just checking this topic 3 times a day hoping for some news! Come on!! The wait is horrible!!

It would be nice to just know WHEN it's going to hit the shop..

I'm with you on the 3 times a day! :sceptic:

Same here with the checking a couple of times a day. How come all these other sets for late 2011 are already know and the next modular not.

Ok, those will be available in all the shops, but still.

Are we sure the release will be around April, and not later this year?

Are we sure the release will be around April, and not later this year?

There were some rumors that it would be a summer release (June, if I recall correctly?), which might also be why we don't have any confirmation or pictures yet.

Assuming we get a Pet Shop, can we speculate which 'pets' would be included?

Cats and dogs seem obvious. I'd also guess at a parrot (in a cage?) and a snake, possibly in a new colour (in a vivarium?). Other options might be a monkey (though that seems unlikely as it's illegal to sell them as pets in most countries, I think), the rat (too ugly?), spiders (too out-of-scale?) or an owl (a few to choose from now given the Harry Potter sets).

CC came in october 2007

MS also in october 2007

GG in march 2008 (just 6 months later)

FB in september 2009 (18 months later)

GE in march 2010 (again just 6 months later)

So, according to this we are again due for larger, 18 month period. That would mean september 2011 release (and if I recall correctly there were some informations about august 2011 presentation)

CC came in october 2007

MS also in october 2007

GG in march 2008 (just 6 months later)

FB in september 2009 (18 months later)

GE in march 2010 (again just 6 months later)

So, according to this we are again due for larger, 18 month period. That would mean september 2011 release (and if I recall correctly there were some informations about august 2011 presentation)

Given the lack of news and information, I expect a September release.

Edited by Follows Closely

Would be so nice with a replay of 2007 though. With 2 modular bildings at the same time *oh2*

A bank and a Police District HQ. OH that would be nice.

Then i hope for a Hospital in 2012 :wub:

Edited by geiri

That would be the only good excuse! 2 modulars :)

Damn i was hoping for a 1st of march release.. Cant stand the wait and it seems like we have to wait longer....

Arrghh Lego what are you doing to me.

I know its been said before by a lot of people, but Modular Building's got me back into Legos after 10yrs from being away from them. I also agree Bank and Police HQ would be awesome!

I know its been said before by a lot of people, but Modular Building's got me back into Legos after 10yrs from being away from them. I also agree Bank and Police HQ would be awesome!

I agree, I also came back into Lego after seeing the modular buildings.

The solution to waiting: build some MOC modulars while you wait! I've bought about $1000 worth of Lego so that I can build and rebuild some MOC modulars while I wait patiently for something exciting to come along. Try it!

I agree, I also came back into Lego after seeing the modular buildings.

The solution to waiting: build some MOC modulars while you wait! I've bought about $1000 worth of Lego so that I can build and rebuild some MOC modulars while I wait patiently for something exciting to come along. Try it!

Are you going to finance this experiment for me?

Are you going to finance this experiment for me?

I didn't mean to try spending $1000, I meant to try building something while you wait. If you are willing to spend $150 on a modular building, but one isn't coming for a while, spend the $150 on something that you like but also can take back apart and use the pieces to build something else with. I bought a whole bunch of Prince of Persia sets on 1/2 price sale back in December, and have disassembled them to use the pieces in modulars. Obviously not everyone (most everyone?) isn't up to my scale of spending, but they also aren't upto my scale of what I plan on building, either. Buy enough to build one building, you'd spend that on a modular anyways, so what's the difference?

Also, try and buy some Lego that you can resell at a profit, and use the profit to buy more that you can "play with". What do you think paid for the $1000 of Lego I am building with? I essentially got it for free by borrowing some money, waiting a short while, selling the sets I bought, making back the money I borrowed plus more, then using the money I made to buy lots of Pick-A-Brick, pieces on Bricklink, and sets that I tear apart. Each time I sell something, I buy more with the profit.

Right now I'm working on a Market Street, and I've assembled most of the pieces I'll need for about 1/2 what they sell for used. Mind you, it won't be EXACTLY the same, because instead of buying 80 of the 1x4 in dark blue, I bought a bunch of 1x2 and 1x10 pieces, which I found for a really good deal on Bricklink.

Sometimes the best sets are the ones you build yourself without instructions.

Right now I'm working on a Market Street, and I've assembled most of the pieces I'll need for about 1/2 what they sell for used. Mind you, it won't be EXACTLY the same, because instead of buying 80 of the 1x4 in dark blue, I bought a bunch of 1x2 and 1x10 pieces, which I found for a really good deal on Bricklink.

First I want to say that I too came back to Lego because of the modular houses. But anyway, I came back to Lego and could not afford Market Street so I did exactly what you did. I am happy to say that I completed it today, all of the exact pieces purchased through BrickLink or EBay and it definitely came to a lot cheaper than purchasing the entire set. Now I am working on the Cafe Corner So far, I have about 75% of the pieces.

After seeing the modular buildings, i too was hooked again to Lego. I did not like the way Lego began to use large parts. Building a model schould take al while and not seconds. A modular building takes hours for me to build. Recently i began to buy lego online en began to build houses i only had a picture of (mostly found on this forum). I am beginning to use my own fantasy to make my buildings more attractive en having more en more fun with it. My grandson (6) is follwing in his grandfathers footsteps and we are building a lot together. It's fun to make your own modulars.

Saying this i must also confess that i am waiting with anticipation on the new Lego modular. I am certenly going to buy it en include it in my town. It is never going to happen, but i like to see a modular trainstation coming from Lego. I guess i have to create that one myself.

Edited by The Dutch Guy

14 pages of utter speculation, and, the one frontrunner of the rumours - the pet shop - is based on hearsay. But let's speculate anyway, because it's fun!!!

If it is a pet shop, there are plenty of animals available to "stock" in the shop, and also, the whole building doesn't have to be a pet shop - like the Grand Emporium - remember that only the ground floor of Green Grocer is an actual green grocer, the rest is a residence of some kind. And the Cafe Corner is a cafe and a hotel. So, if it is a pet shop, there could be some variation to what makes up the building. However, I don't think it will be a pet shop!!!

My money would be on a bank!!!

Only because there is some history there. Before any modular set was ever released by Lego there was a "test" set of a bank shown at a German toy fair or Lego exhibition - the photo of it is here: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/monorail/club-meetings/frechen-2007/frechen2007-24.jpg (it is on the right-hand side in the photo). It's not 3 levels like the modulars we know. Notice the angled roof - a bit like the GG, however, this roof is coloured in that Sand Green colour that is actually used for the walls on the GG set. I have looked on Bricklink for the sloped brick that appears in the photo, but, it is not listed as being available in that colour, so it must have been a special run of that colour for that part.

So that is my 2 cents... (to put in my modular bank!!!)

No matter what the modular house is I will buy it, they are all beautifully constructed and well designed but I too would prefer a bank! I love the new Bank and Money Transfer set but was a little disappointed by the small size of it so I contemplated MOCing a bank based on the same color scheme so either way, I will have a modular bank!

This is so exciting. Is TLG present at New York Toy Fair? Maybe we'll get some news this weekend?

I hope for something out of the ordinary.. Haunted house? Mad scientist's mansion? But it will probably be something like pet shop or post office..