cityhunter009

Help needed - empty grid after loading file

Admin note: Created new topic for this question

Sorry if this problem has been answered before, but i try to browse all the topic, and still cant find related topic with my problem

I got some problem in opening my LXF file. Everytime i try to open the file, it only load an empty grid. And After i open the file, i can not properly use the LDD anymore. If i open another file it will load the empty grid as well. If i try to create a new file, I can not add any bricks. Everytime i drag something to the grid, it can not be placed on the grid. SO i can say everytime after i open the file, nuthing work. The problem is everything work perfectly until yesterday.

But if I close the application, and open another file at the begining, everything work perfectly. Until i open the "problem file" again. And nuthing work again

I notice the big differences among those files, is that the "problem file" size is 1003 kb, while every other file size is below 1 MB.But does it really matter? or is it the number or the brick? I dont remember exactly how many bricks were used, but i think it was not more than 40.000 bricks

I am using the latest version of LDD and my laptop is Alienware M17 which i believe wont have any problem

can any of you help me?

thks

thks for creating topic for my question,

and answering to the question, i am not updating any driver that I knew of.

But I have try to install LDD in my brother's laptop and copy all my files. Same thing happen. All file can be opened perfectly, except for that file.

Is there a such as thing as "too big too handle" when it coming to LXF file?

Or maybe I can send the file to some body here and try to open the file on their computer?

I've sent you a PM with mail to have a look at the file.

40.000 bricks shouldn't normaly be a problem for LDD to handle (even thought the computer may become very slow). I don't work with that big files, but we do have Alienwar9 around here in the forum and he might be able to give you some tips about working with huge files. Let's see if he reads this topic.

And what Zblj asked was if you had updated your graphics drivers (which you should). Read more here

I get the same issue - The file starts loading and after a while you only get the scene grid. As a side note, I parsed the file in LDD Manager and I don't get any warnings there at least.

Some model stats:

- LXF file size: 1Mb

- uncompressed LXFML size: 11 Mb

- Made in DbM mode

- 33346 bricks

- 279 different types of bricks used

- 868 Rigid Systems! (The model seems to be mostly disassembled at the moment)

- weight 38 kg

If you want I can forward the file to the LDD Developers and we can see if they can pinpoint the problem.

Thks alot for the help.

Btw I try to upload the file at here, but it said "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

So, if anybody keen to try help me by trying to load the file in your computer, please let me know and I'll send the file through email

You have to zip it first to be able to upload. But even so, you are only permitted to upload 100 Kb of files on EB, so I'll upload it this time for you.

So to all other LDD geeks out there - can you figure out why the file is not loading properly?

Cathedral1.zip

I tried opening and importing file to no avail. I think the file is corrupted.

Same thing happened when I tried it. You may have to make whatever it was again :hmpf_bad: or like what Superkalle said, report it.

Thanks, CB

I too have tried downloading the file and opening it to no success.

Do you remember when this issue started happening? I assume that you did not complete this project in one setting. After which save did you notice this problem? It may have been from a saving issue, where the file got corrupted. If so, you may be able to revert back to an earlier working version of the file if you saved it separately.

was it like this (little picture):

image100.png

It's the image from the 2 files in a lxf file (picture and a lxfml file), so in the picture the bricks are there. I don't now a solution.

Edited by legolijntje

That is strange...the picture appears, but the .lxfml does not open correctly. Does anybody know where/how LDD gets the screenshot thumbnail?

It's created at the time of saving the model. So as far as I understand, the model was saved correctly the last time (at least the image was created correctly). It might actually be that we have a bug here that puts LDD in a "non defined state" of some kind. Note for example that if you place a brick on the grid after the file has finished loading, they simply dissapear.

I loaded the file in LDD 3.x version. Opened without a problem, LDD used up 669 mb of memory (RAM). 4.0 brick definitions take about 2x as much memory. So there's nothing wrong with the file, just LDD 4.0 :)

Actually yes, that's the file.

Actually it still normal 2 days ago. I work on it 2 days ago, and save it after I got tired. Nothing seem different when I saved the file. But on the next morning, the problem start to shown.

I just hope it It still can be retrieved somehow, because I have put a lot of works on that model. I have been working on it for weeks.

was it like this (little picture):

image100.png

It's the image from the 2 files in a lxf file (picture and a lxfml file), so in the picture the bricks are there. I don't now a solution.

Read my previous post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the file, so don't worry... (but if you can't work on it in LDD 4.0, downgrade to 3.1).

Just tried it and it worked!!! Thks so much for the suggestion!!

Read my previous post. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the file, so don't worry... (but if you can't work on it in LDD 4.0, downgrade to 3.1).

Thanks for the insights Bojan!

Still, I guess there is some memory management issue in LDD that does not show the user a warning message in this case?

Try to resave in LDD 3.0 and open it again with 4.0, if that will work?

99,9% probability that it wont as there is nothing wrong with the file in the first place.

I found something! If you have opened the cathedral file and closed it. There is a file in C:,users,"username",AppData, Roaming,LEGO Company. (in windows 7) called "UnplacebleBricksDump.lxfml". If you open that file, you wil get the whole cathedral, but in yellow. It's not perfect, but a step closer to the solution.

I found something! If you have opened the cathedral file and closed it. There is a file in C:,users,"username",AppData, Roaming,LEGO Company. (in windows 7) called "UnplacebleBricksDump.lxfml". If you open that file, you wil get the whole cathedral, but in yellow. It's not perfect, but a step closer to the solution.

Well, that is intersting. That seems to indicate that all bricks can indeed be shown, i.e. there is no memory limit.