eiker86

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 5 discussion

I don't see the point of the dancer. It is like a clone of the singer with the mistakes that made the lifeguard look wrong (why couldn't they use a yellow torso and print the top instead of printing skin on a pink torso?, it would look so much better)

The other are much better. Even the snowboarder is decent because of the printing on the snow board. I think the gladiator will have a great expression behind the mask. Still can't get over the lack of a coat or pipe in Sherlock Holmes, but at least the sideburns almost make up for it. I will be looking for the graduate, the new clown, godzilla and the cavewoman.

Poseability would be wonderful, yes, but then it would probably make it as expensive to produce as a whole additional human minifigure (or getting close to it, anyway). It's cool that some of the minifigures already come with additional "minifigures" of their own, even if they're just non-articulated, single-piece critters of the sort we're all so familiar with; in the zookeeper's case, it's an entirely new figure she comes with (as opposed to the traditional LEGO bat, scorpion and snake included with other figures in the theme up to this series), and it's printed, too. Articulation would really be a bit much to expect for a figure that's considered just an "accessory" for another figure, even though I for one obviously like to think of it as a figure in its own right.

I'm not thinking specifically about the collectible minifigures. I'm thinking more about just the monkey piece in general and how its contours and lack of printing are largely inconsistent with regular minifigures or most current minifig animals. I'd have much preferred the next monkey/ape mold to have been more advanced, even if it had to be in a mainstream theme. Now, if TLG wants to release a new monkey in a mainstream theme, this chimp would look inferior among LEGO primates, and a new chimp simply isn't going to happen too soon after the first one.

I don't see the point of the dancer. It is like a clone of the singer with the mistakes that made the lifeguard look wrong (why couldn't they use a yellow torso and print the top instead of printing skin on a pink torso?, it would look so much better)

The other are much better. Even the snowboarder is decent because of the printing on the snow board. I think the gladiator will have a great expression behind the mask. Still can't get over the lack of a coat or pipe in Sherlock Holmes, but at least the sideburns almost make up for it. I will be looking for the graduate, the new clown, godzilla and the cavewoman.

As for the lifeguard and dancer, LEGO has never had the capacity to print the top of a minifigure torso. They could add it, but due to the curved shape of the top edge of the torso there'd be a very visible seam. Meanwhile the outfit would look like it's falling apart at the sides. I personally don't see how this is a problem when it can be so easily ignored. The lifeguard is still one of my favorite female collectible figs.

Thanks for the new photos, iElkie!

I'm becoming more fond of these minifigures now. I like that, other than the rather disappointing Dancer, none of the female heads are the usual open-mouth grin. I especially like the Zookeeper's bored face - a nice addition to the female minifigure expressions. There's some really nice prints on the torsos, too.

I still can't work of if the Zookeeper's hair is reddish brown or dark reddish brown, or if the Cavewoman's hair is dark orange or some other colour. Can anyone else?

Anyway, I'm starting to look forward to these.

I'm not thinking specifically about the collectible minifigures. I'm thinking more about just the monkey piece in general and how its contours and lack of printing are largely inconsistent with regular minifigures or most current minifig animals. I'd have much preferred the next monkey/ape mold to have been more advanced, even if it had to be in a mainstream theme. Now, if TLG wants to release a new monkey in a mainstream theme, this chimp would look inferior among LEGO primates, and a new chimp simply isn't going to happen too soon after the first one.

I don't think the monkey is inconsistent with them, exactly (technically, it's quite the opposite - it actually uses the exact same arms and hands). They could conceivably even add printing if they wanted.

That said, I would love it if they'd had articulated the chimp, even though there's no way they would have for something debuting as an accessory in this line. My only real quibble with the difference between it and the classic monkey, though, is that the monkey is larger (!)... but then the size of everything smaller than a human being in LEGOLAND has always been kind of crazy, anyway, so no biggie.

The snowboarder and the dancer are poop. Other than that, everything is fantastic! I feel like we are getting more new pieces in this series than before, but then again, thats the way I feel about every series! :laugh: I wish there were pics of the Gladiator's face and the Dwarf Warrior's face on their own. They look cool, but they are obscured by helmets and beards. Also, that graduate cape will make a great Sith cloak for SW figs.

Thanks for the new photos, iElkie!

I'm becoming more fond of these minifigures now. I like that, other than the rather disappointing Dancer, none of the female heads are the usual open-mouth grin. I especially like the Zookeeper's bored face - a nice addition to the female minifigure expressions. There's some really nice prints on the torsos, too.

I still can't work of if the Zookeeper's hair is reddish brown or dark reddish brown, or if the Cavewoman's hair is dark orange or some other colour. Can anyone else?

Anyway, I'm starting to look forward to these.

I'm pretty sure the zookeeper's hair is Reddish Brown. By "Dark Reddish Brown", are you referring to the Dark Brown used for Indiana Jones's jacket and the hull of the Imperial Flagship? That's typically called "Dark Brown"-- it's one of the few color names that TLG and Bricklink agree on.

The Cavewoman's hair is almost certainly Dark Orange. The only other current colors that resemble it are Medium Nougat (BL's Medium Dark Flesh) and Bright Orange (BL's Orange). Neither of those seems especially likely.

I'm just going to jump into this conversation and ask, am I the only one that's just really not impressed with any of the minifigs from this Series? I mean every series up to this I've seen one or two that I genuinely want but this one I see no point in spending any money on. I don't know maybe it's just me.

I'm just going to jump into this conversation and ask, am I the only one that's just really not impressed with any of the minifigs from this Series? I mean every series up to this I've seen one or two that I genuinely want but this one I see no point in spending any money on. I don't know maybe it's just me.

I pretty much have the same sentiments, but it might be a different story once they're released. The only ones of interest right now are the zookeeper, graduate and lizard suit guy, perhaps the eskimo as well.

Really excited for the T-rex suit guy, the gangster, the lumberjack, the graduate, and the palace guard! Can't wait to add them to my collection!

I'm pretty sure the zookeeper's hair is Reddish Brown. By "Dark Reddish Brown", are you referring to the Dark Brown used for Indiana Jones's jacket and the hull of the Imperial Flagship? That's typically called "Dark Brown"-- it's one of the few color names that TLG and Bricklink agree on.

The Cavewoman's hair is almost certainly Dark Orange. The only other current colors that resemble it are Medium Nougat (BL's Medium Dark Flesh) and Bright Orange (BL's Orange). Neither of those seems especially likely.

Thanks. I'm glad that the Cavewoman's hair is dark orange. This gives me a chance to add to my red-headed minifigures.

By "dark reddish brown" I meant the colour of the Nurse's hair. I'm sorry that every time I ask a question about colours they're so confusing, it's just I'm not good at all with the colour names :laugh: .

Oh, wow. The minifigures are definitely getting better.

Looks like another costly year ahead. :classic:

Gonna have to grab the snowboarder and the lumberjack, minifigures that will definitely fit into my winter street creation I have been working on for the last couple of months.

I hope there's a lot of Clowns per box, otherwise the BL price of those pies will probably be unbearable. :tongue:

"I'm just going to jump into this conversation and ask, am I the only one that's just really not impressed with any of the minifigs from this Series? I mean every series up to this I've seen one or two that I genuinely want but this one I see no point in spending any money on. I don't know maybe it's just me."

You're not the only one. Except for the fact that I would like the snowboarder to go w/ the girl I have, I'm not interested in the figures made of chinese crap-stic anymore except for the mexican wrestler b/c I'm a Reasonably clever comic fan and I love El Stud. I have gotten some series 2 and 3 figures from ebay, 3 series 3 off lego, 2 more series 3 from the lego store, 3 series 4 from Lego store, and a clown and magican series 1 from the BAM bin at the lego store amd a cheerleader head and hair and what I see is that the quality is a very hit or miss thing.

My mother and I are both strongly against Chinese made lego. You can't imagine our horror a couple days ago when we saw on the label that the keychain hagrid mom got last month(we only managed to stop a couple days ago to look at it)was a made in china thing.

At this current time, I actually have the Clown and magican I got from the bam bin and the cheerleader head and hair(on the mermaid body I got there) sitting sad and lonely by themselves in the package I brought them home in b/c I don't know what to do with them. On one hand, I really want to have them join the Minifigure bin I have in my rolling cart, but on the other hand, I don't know if the figures can even handle gentle play w/ them being of hit or miss crap-stic

Lego either needs to cancel the "Collectable" figures or make them of NORMAL GOOD ABS plastic.

On one hand, I really want to have them join the Minifigure bin I have in my rolling cart, but on the other hand, I don't know if the figures can even handle gentle play w/ them being of hit or miss crap-stic

Lego either needs to cancel the "Collectable" figures or make them of NORMAL GOOD ABS plastic.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. The plastic is a little softer, but it still works. I mix and match with my CM's all the time, and all that's ever happened is that once or twice a small crack has appeared on their arm. I would much rather have these excellent minifigures made from Chinese plastic, than have none at all.

I agree that the quality does need to improve. take for instance the fact that the necks do not have the small amount of paint on them, that keeps the heads on. On the collectables I had to spend 20 minutes getting a helmet off of a head because it was on slightly sideways because the head wouldn't stay on. but as far as the variety of minifigs they have been great up until this set. I'm just really not enthused by this batch. I guess instead of spending 300 bucks trying to get all of these I'll just spend it on getting another Pet Shop Modular.

ABS plastic is much more expensive because it is oil based, and this is why smaller products such as the 'Collectable Minifigures' series and the 'Vintage Minifigures' series are made in China. They can be made cheaper and can meet demands quicker.

I agree that the quality does need to improve. take for instance the fact that the necks do not have the small amount of paint on them, that keeps the heads on. On the collectables I had to spend 20 minutes getting a helmet off of a head because it was on slightly sideways because the head wouldn't stay on. but as far as the variety of minifigs they have been great up until this set. I'm just really not enthused by this batch. I guess instead of spending 300 bucks trying to get all of these I'll just spend it on getting another Pet Shop Modular.

ABS plastic is much more expensive because it is oil based, and this is why smaller products such as the 'Collectable Minifigures' series and the 'Vintage Minifigures' series are made in China. They can be made cheaper and can meet demands quicker.

:hmpf:

Seriously people, take some time to think over and check your statements before posting them.

1. the black marking on the torsos neck has nothing to do about getting the head to stick on better. It's a remain from the time it was needed to identify the front of a torso for the machines that put arms on the torsos. If you have a collectible minifig that has a loose head it's because of individual variation, that happens also among other minifigs.

2. The collectible minifigs are also made of ABS, it's the same type of plastic for all LEGO. The small, small differences that sometimes has been spotted is probably caused by some variation in colour pigments or the molds (causing a different surface that reflects the light different).

I find the talk about inferior Chinese-made products quite prejudiced and niggling. This far I still haven't seen anything that suggests that the CMs are inferior in quality. Small exceptions can be found but that's not exclusive to the CMs. So, quality-wise I have nothing against TLG producing in China.

Thanks. I'm glad that the Cavewoman's hair is dark orange. This gives me a chance to add to my red-headed minifigures.

By "dark reddish brown" I meant the colour of the Nurse's hair. I'm sorry that every time I ask a question about colours they're so confusing, it's just I'm not good at all with the colour names :laugh: .

Understandable. I just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about, since most of the time people use Bricklink or TLG names. In some cases, people who don't strictly follow these naming systems will assign names based strictly on appearance, so "dark reddish brown" might have referred not to a separate color from Reddish Brown but rather to a variation within that color. It is, after all, one of the colors most well-known for inconsistencies (along with Dark Red).

"I'm just going to jump into this conversation and ask, am I the only one that's just really not impressed with any of the minifigs from this Series? I mean every series up to this I've seen one or two that I genuinely want but this one I see no point in spending any money on. I don't know maybe it's just me."

You're not the only one. Except for the fact that I would like the snowboarder to go w/ the girl I have, I'm not interested in the figures made of chinese crap-stic anymore except for the mexican wrestler b/c I'm a Reasonably clever comic fan and I love El Stud. I have gotten some series 2 and 3 figures from ebay, 3 series 3 off lego, 2 more series 3 from the lego store, 3 series 4 from Lego store, and a clown and magican series 1 from the BAM bin at the lego store amd a cheerleader head and hair and what I see is that the quality is a very hit or miss thing.

My mother and I are both strongly against Chinese made lego. You can't imagine our horror a couple days ago when we saw on the label that the keychain hagrid mom got last month(we only managed to stop a couple days ago to look at it)was a made in china thing.

At this current time, I actually have the Clown and magican I got from the bam bin and the cheerleader head and hair(on the mermaid body I got there) sitting sad and lonely by themselves in the package I brought them home in b/c I don't know what to do with them. On one hand, I really want to have them join the Minifigure bin I have in my rolling cart, but on the other hand, I don't know if the figures can even handle gentle play w/ them being of hit or miss crap-stic

If it takes looking at the label of something you already own to tell that there's quality problems, then how do you know there are quality problems? Your reaction to Chinese plastic may be well-founded, but the way you describe it it just sounds paranoid. There are a lot of valid reasons to be opposed to "made in China" products. For instance, you may dislike what outsourcing does to local businesses, you may have ethical issues with Chinese laborers being underpaid, or you may have political reasons for disliking China and not wanting companies you trust to be contributing to the nation's economic success. But disliking Chinese-made products on principle just because some have had quality issues is silly beyond words.

Anyway, the differences between the chemical makeup of the ABS in Chinese-made minifigures and the ABS in Danish-, Hungarian-, Czech-, or Mexican-made minifigures is slight. TLG isn't just using an arbitrary plastic for making minifigures at the Chinese production plant-- they specifically chose the one that's closest to what they use in their other facilities. So there shouldn't be any serious differences in durability or functionality between Chinese-made minifigures and others, and any that exist are more likely a consequence of mold differences rather than type of plastic.

:hmpf:

Seriously people, take some time to think over and check your statements before posting them.

1. the black marking on the torsos neck has nothing to do about getting the head to stick on better. It's a remain from the time it was needed to identify the front of a torso for the machines that put arms on the torsos. If you have a collectible minifig that has a loose head it's because of individual variation, that happens also among other minifigs.

2. The collectible minifigs are also made of ABS, it's the same type of plastic for all LEGO. The small, small differences that sometimes has been spotted is probably caused by some variation in colour pigments or the molds (causing a different surface that reflects the light different).

I find the talk about inferior Chinese-made products quite prejudiced and niggling. This far I still haven't seen anything that suggests that the CMs are inferior in quality. Small exceptions can be found but that's not exclusive to the CMs. So, quality-wise I have nothing against TLG producing in China.

Well, in the magnet packs, Series 1, and even Series 2 there were widespread reports of poorer-quality minifigure parts, and even today in Series 4 there are visible differences in some of the Chinese-made minifigure parts from those in other sets (there is a slight translucency issue in the legs, even though I can't think of a single situation in which it would make any difference to the appearance of a MOC). Overall, though, the quality seems to have improved significantly, and many of the remaining complaints about Chinese plastic are based more in paranoia regarding the older defects than in actual experience of serious defects in today's minifigures.

As for ABS being the plastic used for all LEGO, keep in mind that LEGO does use other plastics besides ABS, but that they vary by part rather than by production facility. For instance, polycarbonate is used for transparent pieces in almost all cases, while polypropylene (I think) is used for the more translucent weapon pieces sometimes encountered in BIONICLE. There is also a rubbery material used at various times in various themes (and despite what some people think, it is not cheaper than ABS but rather much more expensive), and various other obvious differences in matierial among minifigure accessories. In general, though, TLG does a lot of chemical experimentation with all materials they use to ensure that they are safe, color-fast, and durable, and they tweak their formulas on a regular basis to make periodic improvements in various aspects.

As for ABS being the plastic used for all LEGO, keep in mind that LEGO does use other plastics besides ABS, but that they vary by part rather than by production facility. For instance, polycarbonate is used for transparent pieces in almost all cases, while polypropylene (I think) is used for the more translucent weapon pieces sometimes encountered in BIONICLE. There is also a rubbery material used at various times in various themes (and despite what some people think, it is not cheaper than ABS but rather much more expensive), and various other obvious differences in matierial among minifigure accessories. In general, though, TLG does a lot of chemical experimentation with all materials they use to ensure that they are safe, color-fast, and durable, and they tweak their formulas on a regular basis to make periodic improvements in various aspects.

yeah, I know there are lot of different materials. I meant that ABS is what is used for all LEGO minifigs (not including hairpieces and such like). The discussion was about however the Chinese-made minifigs were of ABS or not and I wanted to make clear that they are.

Anyway, if people got problems about the quality of their CMs they should take that with TLG's customer service. This topic is about the fifth series so we can't really make comments about the quality in that one yet, right? :wink:

I'd rather have slightly more pricey figures and have figures i can put in my main collection then figures sitting in my curio. I would mix them w/ my main figures but I'm to worried about the "Collectible" figures getting damaged(I am NOT rough w/ legos if your wondering). And outside of the printing plates, I can't see why the major parts(head, torso, and legs) can't be made of GOOD plastic. Except for the printing stage, the parts are the exact same as normal figures.

I used to wonder why I've lost all respect and nearly all interest in TLG lately(mainly interested in creator and city only but that interest is shrinking fast) but now I realize that it's crap like this that has killed this ex lego fans love.

price issues and lack of girl figures/girl color are close behind. I don't want a pink-a-plooza in my lego collection(i'm a female that's more of a tomboy), but i'd like SOME variety of color in my collection.

Except for the fact that A) a couple cousins are coming over and one loves to build lego w/ me and B) i don't feel like rolling my cart back into my room, I'd be storing the cart w/ lego in my room.

I'd rather have slightly more pricey figures and have figures i can put in my main collection then figures sitting in my curio. I would mix them w/ my main figures but I'm to worried about the "Collectible" figures getting damaged(I am NOT rough w/ legos if your wondering). And outside of the printing plates, I can't see why the major parts(head, torso, and legs) can't be made of GOOD plastic. Except for the printing stage, the parts are the exact same as normal figures.

I used to wonder why I've lost all respect and nearly all interest in TLG lately(mainly interested in creator and city only but that interest is shrinking fast) but now I realize that it's crap like this that has killed this ex lego fans love.

price issues and lack of girl figures/girl color are close behind. I don't want a pink-a-plooza in my lego collection(i'm a female that's more of a tomboy), but i'd like SOME variety of color in my collection.

Except for the fact that A) a couple cousins are coming over and one loves to build lego w/ me and B) i don't feel like rolling my cart back into my room, I'd be storing the cart w/ lego in my room.

I just don't understand your problem. You are buying Lego that you won't mix with your other Lego 'incase' it gets damaged! This just sounds like unfounded paranoia to me.

I would imagine if it didn't say 'Made in China' on the pack, in most cases, you wouldn't have a clue. There are always going to be slight inconsistancies with any manufacturing process and a relatively new plant, compared to the original factory, like China, producing relatively short runs is bound to have slightly more inconsistancies than the standard 2x4 bricks that have been being produced since before alot of people on here were born.

Lighten up, if there is no noticable problems with the parts you have just start using them, then if issues do arrise you will have something to actually moan about!

D

MinifigFreak, really can yout just drop it? If the origin is such an issue for you, leave them alone, don't buy them. Leave the rest of us to go buy them for ourselves and happily mix them because there is no such possibility of "damage". I've mixed figures with compatible brand and custom parts with no problems, ever!