eiker86

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 5 discussion

Question about the dinosaur suit. Does anyone know if the tail is connected to the headpiece; or is it a separate piece? Because there doesn't seem to be any piece in-between the torso and the hips.

~t7_c.

The violin case appears to have a stud on top, just forward of the handle, which would imply it is a solid piece.

It does doesn't it? :sceptic: I guess that means that the violin case is going basically be a boom box with a long neck at one end. :thumbdown:

Question about the dinosaur suit. Does anyone know if the tail is connected to the headpiece; or is it a separate piece? Because there doesn't seem to be any piece in-between the torso and the hips.

~t7_c.

I believe it does. If you look closely at the dinosaur suit figure in this picture, you'll see that there's something poking out behind the figures neck; I can only assume that this would be the tail going down.

Lego-8805-Minifiguren-Serie-5.jpg

Well, this series is good, but not nearly as good as Series 4. The ones that I'm probably going to get from this series are the Graduate, the Buckingham Palace Guard, the Murmillo (maybe), the Short Clown, the Dinosaur Suit Guy, and the Zookeeper.

So how much do they cost, I have no interest in getting loads of them, I just want that beefeater for my mum.

More likely that the violin case is essentially the same as the radio, with a stud on either side of the handle and 1x4 slot on the bottom. It just has the neck of the case sticking out at the end, kept well above any studs on the ground.

Hmm you could be right, but I can see what appears to be a hinge at the bottom of the case (like the suitcase piece we've had for years) and only one "stud" on the top. Why would Lego put a random stud on top of such a specific piece? I think it's a clasp to hold it shut, personally. I could be wrong of course, but it definitely looks like it to me.

No, YOU could be right. The big photo of all sixteen on their stands conveniently places the Gangster right beside the Fitness Dancer and the violin case seems to be a bit smaller than the radio. I've also studied the video and the thing on the bottom of the case looks too narrow to fit studs. So now I'm leaning towards it being a hinge.

To me it looks like a stud connector at the bottom, for putting case onto a plate, and a stud on top. We shall see.

Not necessarily new, but much clearer. Thanks for the picture! Deeplink time!

Lego-8805-Minifiguren-Serie-5.jpg

Lego-8805-Minifiguren-Serie-5_b2.jpg

That new gladiator helmet is going to be a must-have. :classic:

I'm still unsure about the colours of the Fitness Dancer and the Zookeeper's hairpieces. In the group picture, the Fitness Dancer's hair looks brown, but on the picture of them on the stands it looks like light-nougat. In the group picture, the Zookeeper's hair looks like dark brown, but in the picture with the stands it looks like dark red. Can anyone confirm what the colours are? (Aanchir, I'm looking at you!)

I quite like them all apart from the clown. Which no matter how hard my brain tries to rationalise into 'it's just a piece of plastic' is still a scary clown and destined to be vetoed from my collection the same as the other clown. Although I will buy his pie from BL because that's cool.

I hope the boxer gets an opponent. Then it would be worth building a boxing arena.

I'm still unsure about the colours of the Fitness Dancer and the Zookeeper's hairpieces. In the group picture, the Fitness Dancer's hair looks brown, but on the picture of them on the stands it looks like light-nougat. In the group picture, the Zookeeper's hair looks like dark brown, but in the picture with the stands it looks like dark red. Can anyone confirm what the colours are? (Aanchir, I'm looking at you!)

Medium Nougat. Normally I don't nitpick about which names you use (I tend to use the official ones, but Bricklink ones are equally valid and often more intuitive), but with this one if you use the word "nougat" at all you have to specify "medium nougat". Nougat by itself is Flesh, and Light Nougat is Light Flesh.

I have to say LEGO might deserve some of the blame for the perennial confusion with that color name, since "medium" usually implies the shade between "light" and regular (in most cases, "bright"). But in this case, Medium Nougat is far darker than regular Nougat, almost as dark as Dark Nougat (the color of Vernon Dursley's hair in "Escape from Privet Drive", which Bricklink does not identify correctly). There's a similar problem with dark purple, which is officially called Medium Lilac and is far darker than regular Lilac.

Perhaps LEGO knows something about these names that I don't... but all in all, these sorts of color names are the very reason I don't go out of my way trying to convince people to use the official names (even though I always encourage people to learn them, especially when building with LDD).

On-topic, I agree, the Fitness Trainer's hair seems a bit ambiguous. However, I'm afraid it seems more likely (at least to me) that it's Medium Nougat, same as the Pop Star's. The Zookeeper's hair is probably Reddish-Brown, since in the picture with the figs on their stands it seems to match the fishing pole and rifle, which seem reddish brown in all the pictures we've seen.

Another fig that seems easy to overlook is the cavegirl-- really interesting printing on the torso and leg assembly, and the hair is really unique. I could easily see TLG using this again but with a little bow to clip in, perhaps for a little girl figure.

I quite like them all apart from the clown. Which no matter how hard my brain tries to rationalise into 'it's just a piece of plastic' is still a scary clown and destined to be vetoed from my collection the same as the other clown. Although I will buy his pie from BL because that's cool.

I hope the boxer gets an opponent. Then it would be worth building a boxing arena.

Godzilla? :grin:

Or build the ring and put Godzilla vs the Gorilla from Series 3?

Edited by Canada_7

Godzilla? :grin:

Or build the ring and put Godzilla vs the Gorilla from Series 3?

He's more of a T-Rex to me. King Kong vs the T-rex, just crying out for a movie studio set up. Hmmmm...

I'm actually looking forward to Series 5 because my wallet desperately needs a rest after Series 4. There really isn't anything in Series 5 which I would want to amass in large numbers. After dumping a small fortune on Cheerleaders, Spartans, Forestmen, Elves and Musketeers I'm really looking to stop this addiction. If series 6 actually has any castle related (not fantasy) figures, I'm probably doomed. Collecting these guys is just too much fun :laugh: .

Same here, my wallet is almost depleted with spartans and elves, Series 4 hasnt arrived yet, perhaps for July they shall bring them, meanwhile trying to save as much as i can because on July too the Kingdoms Line releases it sets...

On topic, the Series 5 at first were the least exciting ones i could see on the whole series, just planned to buy the dwarf and gladiator, but that has changed, now think plus the dwarf and gladiator is gonna be too the student, the godzilla, the cavewoman and the mafia guy.

I gotta agree, that new clown is really the first collectable minifig that I plain don't like. It's a shame because I still call this series the best since series 1; great selection, lovely models, fantastic parts, but the clown just doesn't do it for me.

My favourite is the boxer. I'd also like to see him get an opponent, but this guy already has all the equipment so the blue guy'd almost be a clone. There are enough complaints about Snowboarder mk.II and Skater Beta but those at least look substantially different. Best case scenario, he'd come with an actual belt part that's attached between the legs and torso.

I'm a bit more interested in this series - more for the parts.

Looking at the short clown, i'm thinking there is the possiblity of something akin to a British business man or a Wild West character in S6 or S7 as that hat in black or brown is a bowler hat.

The dwarf clown's hat could also be used as a wild west gamblers derby hat. Or wild west 'bunko' salesman/conman. It's not accurate, but close enough.

I gotta agree, that new clown is really the first collectable minifig that I plain don't like. It's a shame because I still call this series the best since series 1; great selection, lovely models, fantastic parts, but the clown just doesn't do it for me.

My favourite is the boxer. I'd also like to see him get an opponent, but this guy already has all the equipment so the blue guy'd almost be a clone. There are enough complaints about Snowboarder mk.II and Skater Beta but those at least look substantially different. Best case scenario, he'd come with an actual belt part that's attached between the legs and torso.

Good point about the boxer. A wrestler would be a lot easier to make an opponent for, since both American wrestling and the lucha libre that inspired the Super Wrestler involve a lot more "characterization" of costumes than a lot of other martial arts (since both are kind of an odd fusion of martial arts with entertainment and showmanship). But boxers generally have identical equipment. Unfortunately, I can't really think of many other types of figs where a blue helmet and gloves could be incorporated besides another boxer.

In response to the talk of Rome stuff - I REALLY want Roman Legionaries and Centurions...

I'm hoping that since they seem to be creating 'mini-themes' in Collectible Minifigures over different series, as with the Wild West, the beach, the musicians... that we'll see some more classical era figures to go along with our Spartans, and now the gladiator. Like Romans soldiers

:classic:

On that note, I'd like a Rome series altogether - the medieval castle theme is getting old. Let's have a classical era 'castle' series for once.

Edited by Erynion

The monkey is cool, and I expect that will be another animal to show up in the Pet Shop modular that is supposed to be on its way.

It's indeed cool, but I'm going to assume it's a chimpanzee or some other ape (a bonobo, likely) based on its taillessness, and chimps aren't really readily available in reputable pet shops (for good reason).

I like most of this series. Just like series 4, there are very few figs that are not fantastic. I like the graduate (I'm getting my degree soon, so I want one of these!), the gladiator and the mafia guy most, while the Sherlock Holmes and cleopatra figs are very good as well. I think I like the Inuit and the snowboarder least. Regarding the parts, the clown's pie is definitively great, along with all the Gladiator's accessories. Overall, again a good series.

I'm also curious about whether or not we will see more historical figs. This series includes Holmes and Cleopatra. It would be nice to see more of them. For instance a Julius Caesar fig would be great!