eiker86

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 5 discussion

The reason behind them selling like pancakes is probably mostly due to the vast number of people snapping them up the the box(or more) full and selling them on ebay and BL like no tomorrow(either alone, normally at a ridicilous price or by the BOX). This is probably the sole reason i've never seen a single pack in a store outside of the lego store. The lego store(probably among very few stores) I went to had a limit set on the figures.

And lego may really want to think about lowering prices on products overall. A lot of the prices are getting beyond ridicilous in stores. :sad:

Well, as long as they sell like pancakes, TLG will be happy to raise the price, regardless of the reason they are selling so well.

As for AFOLs being a huge influence on sales, I'm again skeptical. For every AFOL, there are probably ten or more KFOLs who like the collectible minifigures just as much. The only difference between these two audiences is that the AFOLs are often more selective and almost always self-financed. While the average AFOL probably buys more collectible minifigures than the average KFOL, there still remain far more KFOLs than AFOLs with a similar level of interest. I think this is something many AFOLs take for granted.

"may actually" we don't know really what's going on. What I can tell you is that in my own place I think I was the main factor for series 4 running out because I was able to buy a lot of them. Hehe.

I would say it is unlikely AFOLs are buying all or most of the collectable figs. But I do think their impact on CM sales is large and is much larger than in comparison to other sets. For example, kids don't seem so interested in getting a complete series, because honestly, most kids wouldn't really like the Geishas and the Cheerleaders that much. I on the other hand, made sure to get three Geishas, because I can appreciate good detail and a good minifig idea. Unlike tween kids.

Edited by vexorian

For example, kids don't seem so interested in getting a complete series, because honestly, most kids wouldn't really like the Geishas and the Cheerleaders that much. I on the other hand, made sure to get three Geishas, because I can appreciate good detail and a good minifig idea. Unlike tween kids.

I think you're forgetting the other half of the population again. I at least have seen both boys AND girls going through the minifig boxes at stores, and I'm sure any little girl would be thrilled to own a Geisha or a Cheerleader. If those had been out when I was a kid, I would've been excited too.

I think you're forgetting the other half of the population again. I at least have seen both boys AND girls going through the minifig boxes at stores, and I'm sure any little girl would be thrilled to own a Geisha or a Cheerleader. If those had been out when I was a kid, I would've been excited too.

That, I think, is one of the best things about the CM line; it's so varied that there's something to appeal to nearly everyone. And I'd also point out that many kids who wouldn't necessarily want a Geisha or Cheerleader fig on its own might still want to get them to complete a series; lots of kids can be meticulously completist when it comes to collect-em-all toys.

My daughter wasn't interested in the Geisha... but did like just about every other female figure... but then she also liked all the monsters, too.

As for AFOLs being a huge influence on sales, I'm again skeptical. For every AFOL, there are probably ten or more KFOLs who like the collectible minifigures just as much. The only difference between these two audiences is that the AFOLs are often more selective and almost always self-financed. While the average AFOL probably buys more collectible minifigures than the average KFOL, there still remain far more KFOLs than AFOLs with a similar level of interest. I think this is something many AFOLs take for granted.

What counts is who is actually spending more money on them. Even if you have a physically greater number of KFOLs compared to AFOLs the buying power and desire of the AFOL factors in I believe. You can have tons more KFOLs who like them but they are not all going to be able act on it and actually buy more of them. With AFOLs you have completists who may want more than 1 complete set. You have army builders. You have the MOCer who may feel they need certain less desirable minifigures for an idea they had. You also have scalpers looking to make extra money.

When you say the AFOL is more selective I have to disagree. I feel the KFOLs are more selective as I believe most AFOLs have a broader taste in what they like compared to a KFOL. As an AFOL I like the Viking as much as the Geisha or Artist. Whereas the KFOL may be more inclined to only get minifigures typical of their respective gender. I think a lot of AFOLs will buy at minimum a complete set plus extras of their favorites.

What counts is who is actually spending more money on them. Even if you have a physically greater number of KFOLs compared to AFOLs the buying power and desire of the AFOL factors in I believe. You can have tons more KFOLs who like them but they are not all going to be able act on it and actually buy more of them. With AFOLs you have completists who may want more than 1 complete set. You have army builders. You have the MOCer who may feel they need certain less desirable minifigures for an idea they had. You also have scalpers looking to make extra money.

When you say the AFOL is more selective I have to disagree. I feel the KFOLs are more selective as I believe most AFOLs have a broader taste in what they like compared to a KFOL. As an AFOL I like the Viking as much as the Geisha or Artist. Whereas the KFOL may be more inclined to only get minifigures typical of their respective gender. I think a lot of AFOLs will buy at minimum a complete set plus extras of their favorites.

With "selective" I kind of meant more along the lines of how AFOLs will be more likely to have a "grand plan"-- either to complete each set, or to build an army of some particular figs, or whatever. A KFOL would not necessarily have that same motivation-- they'd buy the figs they want most, but without any huge plans that involve multiples or a complete set of 16. So basically the situation you bring up in your first paragraph is what I meant by "selective". I apologize for using a misleading term; I should have chosen my words to better reflect what I was really trying to say. To put it briefly, the AFOL will likely be a lot more strategic with their purchases than a KFOL.

Also, keep in mind that a KFOL can't buy things on their own all too often, but many will have parents who wouldn't hesitate to make small purchases such as these, even if they end up adding up to a big price in the long run. I collected Pokemon cards as a kid; I should know. For that matter, I collected BIONICLE sets, which are more expensive per purchase, and yet most years between myself and my two siblings we managed to get nearly every set. It's that habit which I'm currently trying to break free from. :tongue:

Furthermore, I think the "power and desire" of AFOLs is often overestimated. It's easy to assume that because we choose to spend our adult lives on what is not normally considered an adult activity, we are more avid fans of LEGO. And there are certainly the occasional AFOLs who are more avid fans than the average kid, and far more avid buyers. But at the same time there are many AFOLs who don't buy the minifigures for whatever reason, and some who can't even afford to buy new sets on a regular basis. The "extreme" cases of AFOLdom are mistaken for the conditions of the typical AFOL. In reality, for every AFOL who can afford a full box of minifigures there are probably several KFOLs whose parents are willing to make a purchase of equal value for the kid.

Furthermore, I think the "power and desire" of AFOLs is often overestimated. It's easy to assume that because we choose to spend our adult lives on what is not normally considered an adult activity, we are more avid fans of LEGO. And there are certainly the occasional AFOLs who are more avid fans than the average kid, and far more avid buyers. But at the same time there are many AFOLs who don't buy the minifigures for whatever reason, and some who can't even afford to buy new sets on a regular basis. The "extreme" cases of AFOLdom are mistaken for the conditions of the typical AFOL. In reality, for every AFOL who can afford a full box of minifigures there are probably several KFOLs whose parents are willing to make a purchase of equal value for the kid.

I think this is getting close to a perfect summation of the situation. Consider this thread. It's in the most active community of AFOLs in the world. It probably has a few hundred participants, maybe a couple of thousand, not all who buy complete boxes, a few who buy more. There are probably ten more similar sized forums. That gets us somewhere in the tens of thousands of AFOLs who buy complete boxes, as a very rough guess. That figure would have to be much much larger for us to be having the sort of effect that made a huge difference to TLG sales.

I'd guess we have a bit more influence in Collectible Minifigs than themes such as Power Miners or Hero Factory, but I'd be astounded if were too far from the 5% of the total market that AFOLs have been estimated to be in the past, say perhaps 10% tops.

I also don't think you can count all Bricklink sellers in the AFOL camp, since they often buy direct from TLG as a business, and not all BL purchasers are AFOLs.

I can think of many tweens that have parents that are able to buy a whole box for them. But I can't think of any tween parent that would actually do it. Unless the kid is very spoiled, but even then, they'd probably prefer to buy them a 60.0 USD set unless the parents are closet AFOLs.

Tweens don't have to buy boxes though. You only need each of them to buy 3 CMs and it should beat AFOLs' market by thousands.

The other half of the population still makes a small percentage much lower than the half in TLG's market.

I don't know what makes a smaller slice of the market, AFOLs or girls. I'll agree that the CMs are somewhere in which both markets grow. But CM have the huge drawback of being random and that's pretty bad when a CM series brings only 2 or 3 minifigs that would be interesting to the other half . A little girl is going to have big issues getting the dancers and singers. AFOLs can just boy boxes or tons of figs and know the tricks to find out which fig is which.

Edited by vexorian

Do you think it will be sooner or later?

Sooner. Just because none of the last two series have been released the same time as previous ones.

does anyone know what the odds are of the Lego store doing a release b4 the actual release date? There's a slim chance we're traveling outstate to visit relatives in 2 weeks and i'm debating between pulling some money I put in the checking account(that money is currently going towards an ebay order if i go for it) for the lego store or if I should just use the 20 dollars I have saved up at the store and keep spending small. I need to make the decision FAST b4 the items I want on B.I.N. escape from me.

Sooner. Just because none of the last two series have been released the same time as previous ones.

I believe a mid/late August date. That's the time when things start showing up for the *shudder* Christmas season. You want your stuff to be on the shelves right after Halloween. Also, TRU would be the first to know about and get the things on their shelves.

I thought it was strange that we got CMF3 and CMF4 so close together though. I took from those release dates that we would be having 4 series a year, but apparently it's 3 per year.

If I had to guess... I'd say we see S5 the last week of July. The only question is, where? North America or Europe?

My money's on North America, again. But at least this time I won't be doing a perilous hike.

My money's on North America, again. But at least this time I won't be doing a perilous hike.

I'd be thrilled if it was the Pacific Northwest again (Washington State and Oregon) like Series 3 :)

I'll call the store a couple days b4 we go. Only issue is that we're taking off on the 22nd(ish) and most likely will only have that day for the LS since we'll be spending the next day(all day) at a relatives then going home the following day so that's kinda early for the figgies to arrive :(

I'll have to hold out hope for BL or eBay.

Its going to show 9 mini figures on the bag not 16,its going to be light blue, and its probably going to be in the southern states tomorrow.

A close friend of mine is a manager at Toys r Us and he has told me they go on sale on the 1st August, my local store are still seeling series 3 and 4 and will continue to do so till they have sold all their stock.

Series 5 boxes are now up for pre-order at Playzone (a Belgian webshop) and will be available from July 25. I placed my order and can't wait to receive these beauties!

Series 5 boxes are now up for pre-order at Playzone (a Belgian webshop) and will be available from July 25. I placed my order and can't wait to receive these beauties!

Will they be shipping July 25th?

Toys R Us has their ship date as 8/16 :/

Will they be shipping July 25th?

Toys R Us has their ship date as 8/16 :/

Yep, that's what it says. They also offer "pick up service" so it's my understanding that people who chose that option will be able to go and pick them up from July 25 onwards.

For belgian and french people, it's cheaper to buy from Amazon.fr (free shipping costs) !!!

My link

I've already done it for the serie 4 :classic:

I have the gangster and must tell you that it is amazing: the hat, the violin's suit case, the prints... everything. For me, one of the best minifigs of all series :wub:

i'm going to look into the aerobics gal and zoo keeper online and maybe the eskimo on Bricklink. Whenever I get to the lego store(planned trip has been postponed), I may look into a couple more there. I'm having to be patient since it'll probably be another week or so until those start showing up on BL at earliest.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'll have to look into all the figures i'm looking into at the lego store whenever I go. One of my ACWW towns began having loading issues and I just had to use up all but 2.50 out of my paypal fund to get a new copy of ebay. :cry_sad::cry_sad::cry_sad:

EDIT 2: Buying the figgies may just be back on! ACWw is working again and if it continues working w/o issue, i'm cancelling the ebay order! :grin:

Edited by Legofan4ever88