Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Review: 7985 Temple of Atlantis

How would you rate this set?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

Thanks for this very nice review! I would say it's one of the best Atlantis sets and probably the best of 2011. I would rank it pretty high, on par with the Space Police Central. Both sets show what amazing playsets TLC can make. Action and Space and others focus so much on vehicles, sure they are nice, but playsets, that's where you are really good, TLC! You should make more in SW, like Endor.

YOu didn't put the minifigs into the sub, does it hold both with the normal (of course not the huge propeller) oxygen tanks? Seems so..

And hereby, my first act as moderator is to index this fine review :thumbup:

Great job on this, the set looks fantastic, the mouth chests are a little odd but the crab claws and Neptune are really cool.

Thanks for the review :classic:

YOu didn't put the minifigs into the sub, does it hold both with the normal (of course not the huge propeller) oxygen tanks? Seems so..

No, just one at the time.

And hereby, my first act as moderator is to index this fine review :thumbup:

Great job on this, the set looks fantastic, the mouth chests are a little odd but the crab claws and Neptune are really cool.

Thanks for the review :classic:

Thank you for indexing it :classic:

Best Atlantis set ever! Great review too. I like the design of the submarine, and the overall scene is nice. :thumbup:

Some really great aesthetics here. I'm especially loving the submarine it comes with. I doubt I'll be picking this up unfortunately, but it's still a nice looking set.

Awesome review!

Man, those mouth on the torso minifigures are creepy. I bet you could make some real scary monsters if you used the right head piece with those...

Steve

Nice review! Once I laid eyes on it, I knew I must have it. All the round 2x2 grill bricks are fantstic! I can't wait toget this. :classic:

Great review with some awesome pics! The temple has a really classic look to it, I can see this being a really popular set for Atlantis fans and as a parts pack.

I have to say I am really digging that crab mini-fig. I think all the Atlantis undersea warriors look amazing and these 2011 ones are even better than before. Like someone else mentioned on the main Atlantis thread, I would have loved to see a Battle Pack with some more of them in.

Sweden huh, so new sets are finally getting to european stores, glad to hear!

As for the set, looks kinda cool, i like the build and those new pieces. The only thing that is bothering me is tha golden dude, he looks pretty weird, not to mention those fugly 'monsters', i mean sea creatures of sorts. ..whatever, cheers for the review !! :classic:

I haven't thought much of this theme, thinking it a bit of a poor successor to Aquazone but this set? I am really impressed. First off, thanks for the great review, I always love to read detailed and thorough reviews like yours. Second, I really like the look of the temple, the new column pieces look really cool and while I don't MOC, I can't wait to see the talented MOC'ers find a use for them. I love the design of the sub as well. It's too bad it costs a bit but it seems worth it!

Wonderful review Etzel! Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup: As for the set, as expected it is very impressive in terms of its size and the introduction of new elements. I see the ribbed columns will have vast use in various historical MOCs. And one interesting ne element that has reall caught my attention is the Crab-Monster's 'Crab hands' - when I saw it, the first thing I though is finally my Mr. Krabs will have the proper crab hands! :grin:

For me, this set would've been perfect if Neptune's pieces of armor actually matched. Despite this minor flaw, it is a really great set with a lot of interesting pieces and play features.

I think the sea monster actually has more in common with a lobster than a crab if the shape of the tail is any indication.

I wonder if the sticker sheet is hinting at the possibility of Atlanteans with mermaid tails appearing in future sets. It would be a good excuse to bring back that mold in new colors.

Thanks for the great review Etzel! :thumbup:

The highlight for me for this set is the temple and gold statue-spartan. :wub:

The Temple looks alot like the Gringotts Bank coming out next year in the Diagon Alley set, and it has some of those lovely new cylinder round pieces. :wub:

The statue-spartan is a beaut, I love his double faced printing!

Thanks again for the review!

CF

Very nice review covering every aspect of the set. The set itself looks like an awesome one. This is truly the pinnacle of the Atlantis line. The "barracuda warrior" (I, too, thought he was an angler-fish-man) is great, but the crabman is simply one of the most awesome minifigs I've seen. The divers are okay, too, and bonus points to TLG for having an expedition led by a woman for once (if that's official). Even the little sub looks better than some of the big Atlantis vehicles, which have a tendency to be half awesome and half kludge. And the design of the temple is beautiful. I don't know if it all adds up to something I'd personally pay the full price for, since I don't really do Atlantis or ancient history, but this is a killer set for serious MOCers. So many elements of the Atlantis line are screaming "I want to be a Cthulhu Mythos MOC!" at me - unfortunately, they tend to be exclusive to the really expensive sets.

Well i think that Davy Jones has ready crab hand now for his minifig version :tongue: it's really clear that whole this theme was partially practicing upcoming Potc-line- i love those columns too and King Neptune and all... great set... also Kraken has tentacle parts there :sweet:

Awesome review, I love this year's Atlantis line and the new creatures are really cool, especially the crab. I think TLG did a great job with this one, it definitely does not disappoint.

Wonderful Review, Etzel! The set is excellent. I love the building and the golden statue. The new evil sea creatures are great, too. Thanks for the review!

Hmm, there are more parts that I anticipated. Looks like a great display set with nice minifigs, but I may wait until sales to see if there are any left over at a cheaper price.

Some interesting new pieces in this set; the "knuckle" piece, the grooved column pieces, the new trans-yellow domes... a LOT of stuff for us MOC builders to be happy about. I can't wait to see someone use those new columns on a modular building! Perhaps this year we'll get a modular library or museum. That'd be swell.

Thanks for reviewing this set Etzel. I like the abundance of useful parts and nice figures in this set. Might have to keep an eye out for this set.

I think that if this is my only LEGO purchase next year, I'll be happy. A look at the piece list reveals a lot of new stuff to me that I want to get my grubby MOCcing paws on. I own no Atlantis, but this may be the first.

Thanks for the well done review.

Of course is MUST BUY!

IMO is one of the greatest Lego designs ever!

Thanks for review, I hope I will get this. Grrrreat pieces are great!

I fell in love in Crabminifig!

And could you take a photo oh the green fire piece? It looks like it have two colors...

I totally agree with you. I love the Atlantis theme but this has to be the best one. I love the crab warrior. It is a must buy!

Wow, wonderful Review Etzel!

The temple is simply beautiful, and the figures are inspired and really well done. :wub:

The thing that makes me happy is that this set pretty much gives away the intent to create a Greek theme in the year to come! I feel our next wave of adventure sets will be a "Olympus Quest" or "Mythology".

This of it; temples, hoplites, archaic heroes and monsters that can be custom built just like the crab warrior! It could happen!