Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter Four

Somehow I have the feeling that this tunnel may lead us to the Town Hall armoury, and I'm eager to find out for myself.

It won't be into the armory, as we know that the lock had been picked. However it could very well lead into the Town Hall basement.

I don't suppose you have the ship's manifest on you, captain?

I would like to ask the police with flashlights to shine a light up there and then climb the ladder to assist Simmons in opening the end of the tunnel.

"I don't have it on me, no." Captain Harding says.

The police officers shine their flashlights at the top of the ladder. There's a gray-colored object covering the entrance.

If there are no other volunteers I will climb up the ladder, trying to make as little noise as I can, and find out what's blocking the way up there.

Farmer Simmons bravely climbs up the old ladder. Reaching the top, he pushes up with all of his strength. The gray object covering the entrance is knocked away, and Simmons climbs up into one of the Jail Cells.

I think it only fair to let everyone know that Alan Simmons overheard part of the conversation between James, Will, Patrick and I.

Should we get to know these newcomers a little bit better? Do you always bring your wife along on trips, Captain Ted, I thought having a woman aboard was bad luck for some reason?

How about you, Frankie. How long have you been a part of the Lakota crew?

I'll wait for Alan Simmons to discover what is blocking the tunnel exit patiently.

I've noticed this tunnel is wide. Is it wide enough/tall enough to fit a car, or maybe a small truck?

A car could definitely fit into the tunnel.

How about you, Frankie. How long have you been a part of the Lakota crew?

I joined up the Captain after the last war. If I recall, I was walking arround the docks looking for some work when I see a Captain who is loading some crates. I offer to give him a hand in excange for some money and right then he hired me! Is that right Captain? I was a little drunk so I don't quite remember the rest of it.

Anything else?

Why would a tunnel from prohibition go into Town Hall? Assuming this tunnel dates back to the '20s.

And the keys to the jail cells are locked in the Warden's desk. Unless the Warden is complicit, there must be some way to open the door from inside.

I would like to climb the ladder and try to open the cell door. If it is locked, I would like to check the lock for a hidden lever or catch that will open it from the inside.

The trigger might be elsewhere within the cell.

Remind us again what is inside the cell, aside from Alan and I.

Anything else?

No, I think that covers my questions for you. Thanks for your candid answer.

We are back in the jail cells? hm, this could mean many things. Perhaps, if a communist was charged and put in jail, then an ally would put him in this cell with the knowledge of the trapdoor, allowing them to escape. Seem plausible?

Well, there goes the idea of locking someone in here. Another communist can just come along and spring 'em.

Is this the same cell that the Chief locked the congressman in?

We are back in the jail cells? hm, this could mean many things. Perhaps, if a communist was charged and put in jail, then an ally would put him in this cell with the knowledge of the trapdoor, allowing them to escape. Seem plausible?

Hmm. If that were the case, then a member of Alabatha's police force would have to be a communist. But it would cause quite a stir if a prisoner suddenly went missing. I'm sure someone would notice that.

Now this is just weird. How did this go unnoticed?

What was the gray object covering the entrance?

Why would a tunnel from prohibition go into Town Hall? Assuming this tunnel dates back to the '20s.

And the keys to the jail cells are locked in the Warden's desk. Unless the Warden is complicit, there must be some way to open the door from inside.

I would like to climb the ladder and try to open the cell door. If it is locked, I would like to check the lock for a hidden lever or catch that will open it from the inside.

The trigger might be elsewhere within the cell.

Remind us again what is inside the cell, aside from Alan and I.

No, I think that covers my questions for you. Thanks for your candid answer.

Mayor Bradford climbs out of the tunnel, and pulls on the cell door. It opens easily, as if previously tampered with. The cell is lightly accommodated, with only a toilet and a bed.

Well, there goes the idea of locking someone in here. Another communist can just come along and spring 'em.

Is this the same cell that the Chief locked the congressman in?

No, it is not.

Now this is just weird. How did this go unnoticed?

What was the gray object covering the entrance?

It was a hollow piece of wood created to look like the floor.

First, I'd like to check that the Armory door is still secured.

Which floor would the police case files be located on? How about the city's personnel records?

First, I'd like to check that the Armory door is still secured.

Which floor would the police case files be located on? How about the city's personnel records?

The Armory Door is seal shut. The police case files would be located on in the Police Squad Room. City Records are in the Records Room on Floor One. However, you moved several boxes into the jail cell opposite of this one.

I would like to climb up the ladder, search inside the toilet, in and under the bed. It also like to run my hands over the cell walls, and feel or anything out of place.

Patrick ascends next, and searches inside the toilet. It hasn't been cleaned in a while, so the smell is revolting, but there's nothing interesting inside it. He then checks in and under the bed, but there's nothing there either. Finally, he fells the cell walls, but doesn't find anything out of place.

"Shall we see what the explosion from earlier was?" Congressman Bob asks, ascending the ladder.

Yes, checking on that explosion probably is the best course of action. Though we never did search the 3rd floor of Town Hall.

I wonder what those three we left behind at the farmhouse are doing?

I wonder what those three we left behind at the farmhouse are doing?

As long as they're not scaring my pigs... :laugh:

Yes, let's see what this explosion was all about, then we can think about where to go next.

Since we're in the jail cell, I'll tap the walls. If there's a hidden tunnel, there could very well be a hidden wall

I would like to tap the jail cell walls

Since we're in the jail cell, I'll tap the walls. If there's a hidden tunnel, there could very well be a hidden wall

I would like to tap the jail cell walls

Stevie taps the cell walls, but they're all solid.

I would like to join in with everyone going to the port

Well, at least we know where the tunnel leads now and not to use this cell for holding anyone.

The townspeople from the farm arrive with those who went into the tunnel. The Lakota is on fire!

img_0347.jpg

"Get the fire engine!

It takes all the townspeople to lift the heavy fire car (Since the wheels are gone) out of the Fire Brigade and to the Lakota. Finally, they put out the fire. Captain Harding rushes aboard to survey the damage.

"We lost some of the supplies, and the engine room was on fire. It'll take some time to fix, but I think I can get the ship in working order." Captain Harding says.

img_0348.jpg

"Alright people. Let's think about where we're going to go next."

End Chapter Four, this topic may now be locked please! Also, please use this time to reread the previous chapters to catch up.

Get in those Chapter Actions!