20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED by TheBrickster

Welcome aboard and fasten your seat belts, today we have the...

5331078160_9c8d88a0d7.jpg

Set Name: Jet Airliner

Set Number: 6368

Theme: Town

Subtheme: Flight

Pieces: 128

Minifigures: 2

Year released: 1985

MSRP: $12.75

Brickset BrickLink Peeron

INTRODUCTION:

I was never a really big fan of Lego Town, just as I have never been a fan of the 80s Lego sets. Most of them are just sort of too old in their looks. So while I don't remember how exactly I stumbled upon this set, when I first saw a picture of it some time ago, I immediately knew that I had to have it. Coincidentally enough and quite luckily, I found this like-new copy just shortly after on eBay for real cheap. Let's see how the Jet Airliner holds up in reality, especially for its age. It's almost antique, isn't it? :wink:

*All pictures are links to their full-scale versions on my flickr*

BOX:

5252174802_c0035c4f44.jpg

I adore those yellow LEGOLAND boxes.

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS:

5251594357_5caeb4ed3f.jpg

They are the fold-out variant. While they need loads of space when entirely folded out, they are rather small in closed mode.

CATALOGS/ADVERTISEMENTS:

5251594363_c8253ea347.jpg

Nostalgia, anyone? Also included is a piece of paper for ordering service packs. I didn't take a picture of it, though, because it really is not that exciting.

MINIFIGS:

5251594375_9e9e1edd6f.jpg

These guys are fabulous, I definitely love them very much! The prints are great and both are classic and iconic minifigures. Not the "classic" like in old or sparsely detailed but more rather the one in timeless and lovely. Also, two is a respectable amount for a set this size. The civilian tourist dude is quite rare, as he only appears in five sets. The pilot guy makes a great German WW2 general. Oh, did I forget something? Of course there's no backprint for both of them, the set is from 1985!

PIECES OF INTEREST:

5251594377_30c41e753b.jpg

Everything is printed goodness. The rear stabilisator is unique to the set.

THE BUILD:I took the pictures in an interval of 2 from the building plan (beginning with Step 2). Step 13 is included too for you curious bastards. :laugh:

As you'll see, the instructions move on quite fast!

5251594387_11d2e9a774.jpg

5251594397_06afd9d5a1.jpg

5251668487_2e88e6ab4b.jpg

5251668491_9b36a57bef.jpg

Seems like it's getting kind of narrow in there!

5251668497_7f396c75b6.jpg

Yes, the front wheel utilises a turntable.

5251668501_103fa5feb1.jpg

Oh, it opens!

5251668505_57b1843837.jpg

Oh, this opens too!

THE JET AIRLINER:

5251668513_6c14bac634.jpg

5252300924_e5f6502ae7.jpg

5252300932_20fe526d8e.jpg

Nice from all angles is what I would say at this point...

THE COMPLETE SET:

5252300944_7ab68b60e1.jpg

In all its glory. A passenger looking forward to crashing, eh? Just kidding, of course: NO crashs with LEGO AIR!

EXTRA PARTS:

5252300936_7262798054.jpg

Can you read the LEGO?

SOME "RANDOM" SHOTS:

5252300952_703576ffe5.jpg

"My friend doesn't like you..." - you always meet twice in life!

5252300954_02e1f6df88.jpg

"Hey, Zidane! Psst... what about an autograph now? Nobody's paying attention..."

FINAL VERDICT:

Design 10/10: Great. I love it. A sleek and elegant plane, and that in the middle of the eighties? What else can one hope for?

Minifigures 8/10: The set comes with two very nice minifigs. I know there could be a third passenger, but I am already pleased with what we have here for real. It could be so very much worse.

Parts 8/10: If you're interested in building planes, the pieces are useful for sure. That being said, I wouldn't recommend buying a 25 years old set for parts only. :wink:

Build 9/10: A light build without any difficulties. Although there are no advanced techniques that make you go Ahhhh, the construction is clever and well thought-out. It's great fun to build the Jet Airliner!

Playability 8/10: It does not only fly but also roll smoothly! Come on, you gotta admit it, that thing is swooshable to the bone! Also, you've got two minifigs and two opening chambers.

Price 10/10: The original retail price of 13 bucks was superb. For that little amount of money, the aeroplane is really big. Awesome value! I myself got it for under 10 euros.

Overall 9/10: If you like Lego aeroplanes, then this is for you. It is a great model. If you've got a chance to get a good deal on it, don't hesitate to strike: snatch it before it is gone! The set really deserves the good marks it gets from me.

I hope you had fun reading this review and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions about the set.

Yours,

Enpaz

And last but not least...

PEOPLE INJURED IN THIS REVIEW:

5252310296_428af18029.jpg

Stupid cheap plastic! That issue is getting serious...

Edited by Enpaz

Great review. I think Lego should go back to their roots and start making classic sets like this again. I think it would prompt more parents to buy Lego since these are the sets they grew up with.

Oh, and sorry about your robot fig. I've actually experienced that with many more regular figs than CMs.

Edited by prateek

Thank you.

Actually that's what they are kind of doing at the moment! Just take the shield prints in Kingdoms. They cannot go all classic, though because that would probably result in a loss of sales too.

That's funny because I haven't had any such issue before.

what happend to the poor robots leg in the last pic *oh2*.

It like suddenly fell off.

Cheers!

Edited by Enpaz

I have a robot, I love it and it was very hard to get it.

Your story will give me nightmares, sir.

Speaking of which, the little droid in that catalog shot is seriously nostalgia fuel.

Very nice review. The straight angles in this set... You get to miss those things.

This was one of my first sets as a child, and I really loved it. So nostalgic to read your review :cry_happy:. I miss the time when LEGO planes looked liked that, it's so much nicer than the new big-nose-piece-look of today in my opinion...

Great review and I love the pictures. I would love to have a few of that style plane for the city I am planning to build. They would go great with my 6392 Airport :)

Thanks for the review 'Enpaz' of a classic town jet.....nothing like the good old days eh ? :wink:

A very nicely designed craft with a great openning feature for maximum playablity.....COOL ! :grin:

Keep on reviewing ! :sweet:

Ah, a classic town airplane, I simply love it. :wub: Thanks for sharing this review Enpaz! I really like the simple but effective design of this plane, not overly done and just perfect IMO.

For those of you who wonder why the lightning is a bit strange sometimes... there was a person sleeping in the review room while I did this! *oh2*

Aaand I'm glad to see the Airliner enjoys good reception on this board. :classic:

I also changed the title image to give you the full feeling of classicness.

Enpaz

I love how the box art shows the poor guy missing his plane, and being so desperate to catch it he starts running after it on the runway :classic:

But seriously: these kinds of sets were a little after my time, but they bring back so many memories - back when piloting an aeroplane was as east as pushing buttons! Of particular note is just how good quality the printed torsos are.

Thanks for the very nice review Enpaz.

Good ol' classic town! Isn't that set just beautiful? :wub: I had bought it in 1986 or 1987 and I still have it and although that some pieces are yellowed I still love it. Your copy seems to be in excellent condition, you 're lucky! :thumbup:

Thanks again for the review! :sweet:

P.S

Even the boxes were great back then. I was using this particular one as a drawer for my minifigs.

Oh, what I forgot:

Could a mod please add a poll to this review? I'd really like to have one.

Enpaz

I think what I like about this plane, is that even though the front and back are brick built instead of being large pieces, it would still fit right into a modern City airport. Thanks for posting this review of a wonderful older set.

Could a mod please add a poll to this review? I'd really like to have one.

Enpaz

Mr. Enpaz, 1st let me thank you for reviewing this classic set, it warms the deep down LEGO built parts of my heart. :wub:

Second, your pictures are great, really good quality, clear and to the point. Plus your review was entertaining, and structured quite well. I'm a fan, which brings me to number 3.

I'd like to formally invite you to the Reviewers Academy (no formal invitation is needed, I just like the way it sounded. :grin: ) to perfect your reviewing skills and add to the great review pool we have here at Eurobricks. It's not easy but it's rewarding, and I think you would do very well, you seem to be a natural, the only thing I'd change is a small studio setup so those brilliant pictures had a nice white background.

Don't feel obligated, and I won't be offended if you don't, I just wanted to make you aware of the program, either way keep on reviewing, you're good at it!

Thanks for those kind words.

Reviewer's Academy sounds interesting. I'm in.

Cheers!

Thanks for those kind words.

Reviewer's Academy sounds interesting. I'm in.

Cheers!

I've got a bad good feeling about this. Subtle SW reference

Great review for a great set! The plane is small compared to todays Lego planes; 6368s plane design is simple yet very effective. :thumbup:

Well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

Thanks, I appreciate that! In celebration of my forthcoming promotion to citizen there will be another review... of a special set! Which I have yet to choose... :blush:

Edit: Goddamnit! I am a citizen already.

Edited by Enpaz

Great review!

I still need to find this set somewhere, most likely eBay.

It would definately be a great addition to Century Skyway as well.

Cheers.