Duq

MOD?

Brickster posted an announcement explaining the meaning of MOC and MOD in a topic title; My Own Creation for something you've built in bricks, My Own Design for something you've built in LDraw or LDD.

To me that's confusing. MOD to me is a modification; an official set with some changes. Whether you create something in brick or in digital doesn't really matter to me, so I don't think there's a need for a distinction in topic titles.

Am I the only one that feels like this?

Whether built in bricks or in pixels, if you designed it, in my opinion, it's a MOC. It's my creation whether it's in LDraw or in my hand.

--Tony

Er yes, I also believe MOD=modification. And that doesn't just go for Lego:

mod

Wiktionary: "A modification to an object, computer game, etc., typically for the purpose of individualizing and/or enhancing the performance of the object."

Merriam-Webster: "modification; modified"

YourDictionary: "(MODify or MODification) [...]"

In the context of Lego, I'd say a mod is a modification of an existing set (or someone else's MOC perhaps). For example I'm working on a mod of the 7745 high speed train (converting it from 12V to PF).

Hi Fellas:

Let me explain. It's nice to identify the difference between a brick-built creation vs. something created with a digital program. We've used this syntax/naming convention for a number of years in the Town forum, and only in recent months am I seeing lots of different uses for the acronym (both designs and modifications). I wanted to clarify.

Regardless of how others define it, it's been used as My Own Design here (and in Town), and maybe in some of the other forums.

Unless any of you can think of a better naming convention, I'll keep it the way it has been used in the past.

Some of the other options that I can come up with are LDD or Design (which we also have a forum for). I'll consider your opinions if the majority prefer one name over another, and share with the other mods/admins for consideration. Feel free to share your thoughts, but keep in mind that if you don't post MOCs or MODs, is it really an issue for you? For those of you that do, I value your opinion.

Some of the other options that I can come up with are LDD or Design (which we also have a forum for). I'll consider your opinions if the majority prefer one name over another, and share with the other mods/admins for consideration. Feel free to share your thoughts, but keep in mind that if you don't post MOCs or MODs, is it really an issue for you? For those of you that do, I value your opinion.

If my own design is MOD, what do you call a modification? Because I've seen many more modification topics using MOD than creation topics. For virtual creations, I've always used the term LDD MOC, or MLCAD MOC, depending on the program.

Or you can just standardize it and make it MOVC (My Own Virtual Creation), or something along those lines.

Edited by prateek

I've seen many more modification topics using MOD than creation topics.

I don't know about that, at least in Town and Train; MOD seems to be used more for Designs. In any case, whatever the name, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for the benefit of all.

If my own design is MOD, what do you call a modification? Because I've seen many more modification topics using MOD than creation topics. For virtual creations, I've always used the term LDD MOC, or MLCAD MOC, depending on the program.

Or you can just standardize it and make it MOVC (My Own Virtual Creation), or something along those lines.

I would also prefer MOVC to MOD.

Brickster posted an announcement explaining the meaning of MOC and MOD in a topic title; My Own Creation for something you've built in bricks, My Own Design for something you've built in LDraw or LDD.

To me that's confusing. MOD to me is a modification; an official set with some changes. Whether you create something in brick or in digital doesn't really matter to me, so I don't think there's a need for a distinction in topic titles.

I suppose we could have MOM - My Own Modification. :laugh:

I quite often do modifications to official sets and have posted at least one of them in the history forum calling it a MOD. I have also seen other use the acronym for the same purpose there. In my opinion if would be very confusing if we use a well established acronymm for another purpose within the lego community. Especially since the global definition is applicable and useable also within our community.

I don't know about that, at least in Town and Train; MOD seems to be used more for Designs. In any case, whatever the name, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible for the benefit of all.

It seems to me that MOD is mostly used by posters to mean modification and thats how I've always interpreted it. I have seen MOC changed to MOD by moderators, and up till now couldn't explain why. In fact in a few cases the poster has asked why because they also didn't know why.

I'd go with LDD or LDRAW MOC for virtual MOCs, MOC for brick MOCs, and MOD for modification of official sets. That seems to me to be what most posters to the town and train forums thought was happening anyway. I don't like the use of MOD for my own design for a simple reason; it re-defines a word used by the wider community to mean something else so it will always cause confusion, because people will assume they know what it means. MOC isn't the same since there is no wider meaning, so newbies will know to search out the meaning.

My perception is that there hasn't been many virtual models in town until recently (since the LDD forum has been promoted) so I would argue that any historical use of MOD as my own design can't have been very long, and it caused confusion.

I actually don't really care if a MOC is virtual or not so would be happy if there were no distinction in the title, but I do like to be able to distinguish between modifications and MOCs.

For me personally the abbreviation MOD in a LEGO context means modification.

The other definition does not come natural to me as a digital creation can also be a MOC (own design) or a MOD (modification).

So I if you want to make a difference, I would sugges: My Own Digital Creation, MODC.

And digital modification MODD.

kind regards,

Teddy

For me personally the abbreviation MOD in a LEGO context means modification.

The other definition does not come natural to me as a digital creation can also be a MOC (own design) or a MOD (modification).

Agreed, ...

So I if you want to make a difference, I would sugges: My Own Digital Creation, MODC.

And digital modification MODD.

... and this would be my suggestion as well, as 'digital' (since LDD) is more common than 'virtual' in the LEGO community.

Appreciate the honest feedback guys. Seems most of you read MOD to mean Modification. I've since taken the alert/clarification off the Town and Train forums. The thought of using any preceding word/acronym in the title just helps organize the forum and easily identify reviews, MOCs, digital designs, etc. Feel free to continue to offer your suggestions/input.

Whether you create something in brick or in digital doesn't really matter to me, so I don't think there's a need for a distinction in topic titles.

Nope, I feel exactly the same.

I am voting for the MOC = my own creation / MOD = my own modification version, as many others have already done. It would be nice though to see right away whether the MOC/MOD is vitual/digital or real (particularly in topic titles/subjects). To keep is as simple as possible, as the Brickster wishes: I'd just add a "D" for the digital and nothing for the real version:

MOC = my own creation (bricks)

MOD = my own modification (bricks)

MOCD = my own creation (bits)

MODD = my own modification (bits)

@Teddy: Big difference to your suggestion, huh? I just swapped the last two letters :cry_happy:

Best regards,

Thorsten

and this would be my suggestion as well, as 'digital' (since LDD) is more common than 'virtual' in the LEGO community.

Hi Rick, thank you for your reply. I agree with you Rick that digital more common.

Appreciate the honest feedback guys. Seems most of you read MOD to mean Modification. I've since taken the alert/clarification off the Town and Train forums. The thought of using any preceding word/acronym in the title just helps organize the forum and easily identify reviews, MOCs, digital designs, etc. Feel free to continue to offer your suggestions/input.

Hi TheBrickster, your organizing of the forum is highly appreciated by me. :classic:

I completely agree with you on the usefulness of acronyms in the titles of topics.

Hopefully we can get a clear acronym that helps organizing.

MOC = my own creation (bricks)

MOD = my own modification (bricks)

MOCD = my own creation (bits)

MODD = my own modification (bits)

@Teddy: Big difference to your suggestion, huh? I just swapped the last two letters :cry_happy:

Hi Toastie, thank you for your comment. Personally, I like your proposal better. :thumbup::classic:

As it now reads more natural and simple as:

MOCD: MOC Digital

MODD: MOD Digital

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Teddy

I'd also second the MOC, MOD, MOCD, MODD proposal. I also interpreted MOD as MODification and have the impression many other people do as well. But then again I'm rather new to the community so others might think differently.

I think the MOC/MOD/MOCD/MODD thing works. However, I suggest MOC/MDC (my digital creation) as a shorter version. Aren't acronyms fun?