DLuders

Sariel Asked to Write Lego Book/ Video Questions

67889_10150136368388696_243748243695_7885599_5936419_n.jpguser_261658_f4bc5e_huge.jpg

On his Facebook page, Sariel (Paul Kmiec) said "...a US-based publisher wants me to write a book on Lego bricks. The question is: what subject would you find most attractive? Should it be more guide/tutorial-like or describe my own creations? Should I attempt to present a general insight into mechanics in the world of Lego bricks, like I did with my tutorial on Lego gears, or rather try to provide building instructions for some complete models? Please share your thoughts in the comments [part of his Facebook page ]."

videogadula_graf_01.jpg

On his website, Sariel wrote:

"I have been asked for an interview by the VideoGaduła, a programme run by a Polish Internet TV. The interview consists of questions submitted earlier by viewers, and right now, until December 12th, you have a chance to ask your questions.

"There is a programme run by Polish Internet TV called VideoGaduła, which features prominent figures from the Polish show business & cultural circles. The guests are given a list of questions submitted by viewers prior to the programme, and answer these in a video interview. I have been asked to give such an interview, and as a part of it I’d like to gather some questions from you. I’ll have these translated to Polish, I will answer these in the interview, and then publish the video along with a transcription in English. The interview is scheduled to take place on December 15th, and you have time until December 12th to post your questions in the comments. Feel free to ask whatever you like, but please note that not every question has to be answered.

"Zostałem poproszony o wywiad dla programu VideoGaduła, w którym znane i niezwykłe postaci odpowiadają na pytania widzów zebrane przed programem. Wywiad ma mieć miejsce 15 grudnia, i jako część przygotowań do niego chciałbym zebrać trochę pytań – dlatego proszę o zadawanie ich w komentarzach do tej notki, lub bezpośrednio na stronie programu. Czas zgłaszania pytań upływa w niedzielę 12 grudnia. Można zadawać dowolne pytania, ale nie gwarantuję odpowiedzi na wszystkie z nich."

This really depends on how much space you get, and what the publisher wants with the article, IMHO. I think the publisher will help you with the editing of the story.

Often a publication is not very 'in dept', it focus' on the basic idea mostly.

But in general I would provide them following footage:

• Start with basic story, you, your hobby, how you did develop your hobby
  • Tell something about the technic part. How nice it is to develop something that comes close to real life. Or matches it even on a scale level!
  • The difficulties,
  • technical challenges
  • the struggle to make it look good too
  • This gives you a nice 'bridge' to showing examples / and pictures of your own work and / or solutions :classic:
  • the use of internet, showing your creations. And help or helping others?
    + Eurobricks.com, Brickshelf.com needs mentioning off course :tongue:

Something like this maybe?

Edited by bord4kop

[bUMP]

On his Facebook page, Sariel (Paul Kmiec) has revealed more about his upcoming (2012) Lego Technic book, to be published by No Starch Press. On January 29th, he wrote an "Update on the book: I have written over 90% of the content and I plan to reach 100% before February ends. Then there will be stuff like revisions, cover design and other things left to do. Finally, printing book for the first time can take up to two months. All in all, I hope you can see it released around May and with every passing week we are getting closer to the book being officially announced. The link here shows where to look to buy it. And yes, there will be some photos of my Ford GT40 in it."

He added in the "Comments" that it will be available as a PDF eBook. The title has "...not yet formally approved so I'd rather not give it out yet. But it's something along the lines of "LEGO Technic" and "Guide"....The pagecount is unknown yet, but it's well over 70,000 words and several hundreds of figures. As for AFOLs, well, Blakbird [Eric Albrecht] is doing technical review for my book :)" :thumbup:

021.jpg01.jpg

From this "Word Count to Page" estimator, Sariel's book will be at least 85 pages long (not including pictures)! With "several hundreds of figures", it could end up being 200+ pages long. Assuming single-spaced 12-pitch Times New Roman text, 70,000 words divided by ~815 words per page = 85 pages. :cry_happy: It's very likely going to be the best Lego Technic reference ever published! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

graph_font_words.JPG

Edited by DLuders

I can assure you it won't be 12-pitch Times New Roman text, but actually something more space-consuming :) Oh, and besides text and figures, there are also some building instructions. I think there should be at least 40 of those, most of them between 3 and 8 pages long (in LPub - the book's layout compositor may be able to reduce that length).

Edited by Sariel

I really hope that the book will be able to be purchased outside of the US (as an eBook/PDF I mean)

Just had a look at that publishers site. At least their hardcovers are easily available in Germany.

But a PDF would be so great to have on an iPad for the instructions while building :-)

If its something in the direction of the Lego idea book but with actual instructions you will have my money

I hope you will have some books to sell it over the Europe :)

Oh, and the distribution as PDF would be more profitable than the traditional I suppose.

Edited by barti673

I'll be the first to admit that I am not into reading books at all, but this will 100% be something that I'll spend time reading when it is released... :thumbup:

Thanks Paul, it means a lot coming from you :)

Among other useful things I'm including in the book is a table of some 20 most common Technic wheels that shows their sizes compared, as well as profiles of their tyres, here's part of the images in it. I couldn't find such a comparison in the Internet - there is the Visual Wheel Helper, but it's not exactly the same - so I made one. Of course some text is going to be added, listing part names, part numbers and exact dimensions.

430921_10150769261668696_243748243695_12233876_1172033099_n.jpg

I can't sleep writing it ;) Thanks, there's a good chance it could be out around May.

Hopefully it will be released by the Brick Magic show the weekend of May 19th and 20th... I would love to display it for you at my table...

technicbuildersguide_0.png

From the No Starch Press book publisher's website: :cry_happy:

LEGO Technic Builder's Guide by Paweł “Sariel” Kmieć

September 2012, 304 pp.

ISBN: 978-1-59327-434-4

USD $29.95

Coming in September 2012. Sign up for our newsletter to be notified when it's available and to get sweet deals!

"The LEGO© Technic system opens a realm of new building possibilities—you can design LEGO models that really move with motors, gears, pneumatics, pulleys, linkages, and more.

In the spirit of the bestselling Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide, the all new, full color LEGO Technic Builders Guide is filled with building techniques and tips for creating strong yet elegant machines and mechanisms.

With author Paweł "Sariel" Kmieć‘s expert guidance, you’ll master the foundations of LEGO Technic building, then learn how to create impressive to-scale models. Sariel, a world-renowned LEGO Technic mastermind, offers you unique insight into the mechanical principles that drive modern engineering like torque, power translation, gear ratios, and more, all with the miniature Technic brick. You’ll also learn how to build working clutch and transmission systems, differentials, and suspensions.

This full color, illustrated book is a visual feast of building inspiration and includes ideas for building amazing machines like tanks with working treads, miniature supercars, cranes and bulldozers, Da Vinci’s leaf spring catapult, and much more. Now, what do you want to build today?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Author

Paweł "Sariel" Kmieć is a LEGO Technic enthusiast based in Warsaw, Poland. A prolific blogger and model builder, Sariel’s LEGO creations have been featured in many magazines, the world’s most popular LEGO blogs, and even prompted the LEGO company to use his help in developing some of its products. Sariel is a guest blogger for the official LEGO Technic website and is a 2012 LEGO Ambassador for Poland. He is YouTube’s most viewed LEGO Technic builder. Check out his models and more at http://sariel.pl/ ."

Well, there is the speed of light and there is the speed of DLuders, only a little bit slower :)

Edited by Sariel

US $29.99 for 304 color pages = about 10 cents per page! :classic: This book is a TREMENDOUS VALUE with Sariel's knowledge base! This kind of book has been needed in the hobby for a long time! :thumbup:

Good_stuff-1.jpgtechnicbuildersguide_0.png

I'm thinking about buying one too. I've just subscribed for newsletter and found out that this publisher published many other books focused on Lego. Thanks for opening my eyes. :thumbup:

I cant wait for the full release! Congratulations Sariel on writing a full 300 page book, that is quite an accomplishment! Looking forward to the awesome knowledge in the book.

tim

Thanks. Actually, the page count is not final and I expect it to increase. Also, the cover is an early draft.

On the left side of this No Starch Press webpage, it says "Free ebook with print book purchase from nostarch.com!" :sweet: When you click on the hyperlink, it has Sariel's LEGO Technic Builder's Guide on the list for this offer. It's like a "2-for-1" deal! :thumbup:

I may buy several copies for Technic fans to buy at the October 2012 Brickcon convention in Seattle, Washington USA. At USD $30 for the print copy, it's what many Technic "wannabees" can purchase to understand this theme. :thumbup:

HECK yeah! I am buying one of these! TONS of new pages of unthought of ideas...*added to buying legos list!*

I,m gonna hit the local book store in the fall ,and pick up a copy. Sounds like this is gonna be a realy good book, I,ve seen most of your stuff on the net, your a ture master of technic.

Dan