pacc

MOD: 6-wide Morgan LeMans '62

morgan_lemans_62.png

This is the smooth lines of the Morgan LeMans '62.

Every piece is available from DesignByMe or pick-a-brick. (In red aswell, but it's just not British)

You may also get the lxf on brickshelf

to order it or mod it further.

It's easy enough to put on the lego veteran grill and get impressively smooth mudguards, but this might fit another make of car better so don't wear out that part.

Playing around with available bricks in LDD always make you wish for something.

I started out with the standard mudguards but they demand 4x4 bricks of standard surroundings.

Looking at the bows and rounded slopes there were some potential but still a bit square

and I have wanted to try this technique for a while. Please tell me of any other creations

with 'studs not quite up'

It was really amazing to see that the initial design choice at the front led to no problems fitting the

minifigure, naturally having the angled doors if the original and somehow allowing a level footstep.

The real thing:

morgan08.jpg

Apparently there is aMorgan LeMans 62 website

with more inspiration and pictures from other angles.

morgan_lemans_62_back.png

Keeping the smooth curves while adding details such as bag holder and spare wheel came to a compromise.

Given the design of the bracket one may get the back lightseven more flush to the car if you turn the

connecting parts 180 degrees.

morgan_lemans_62_side.png

There aren't any level bricks underneath, but it will be hard to see in reality.

This is a previous design of the hood, if you choose red there is the nose tile

of the smaller airplanes to use here that will still connect fully to the window.

red_morgan.png

Nah, that is clearly not a british gentleman, must be some slimy italian.

Anyone got the parts to build this?

Interesting LDD creation 'pacc' - though the windscreen and tyres don't look right - a good try at trying to capture all the angles and curves.

Note - there is a radiator grill piece that would do the job better......50946pb01.gif

Anyway, nice work and keep on LDDing ! :sweet:

I guess the front distracts from the overall looks of the car...

Here's the indiana jones grill, I think it's a different car, maybe something like it exist?

red_morgan_shanghai_front.png

It's impossible to find these parts in LDD if they're not named sensibly.

As for the windows you have to stick with what lego gives you,

but ditching the roof and going for a simpler front results in this version:

morgan_lemans_62_convertible_simple_grill.png

Edited by pacc

These are wonderful vehicles. On first glance I did a double-take thinking "that's not right." The angles aren't what you expect to see in a LEGO car. Then I figured out what you were doing, which is really quite brilliant. Now I want to know what this car is like in real bricks. For me, LEGO is all about playing, so the question is, does it hold up to play?

Now I want to know what this car is like in real bricks. For me, LEGO is all about playing, so the question is, does it hold up to play?

I built the chassis to try it out, LDD is worthless at telling you where the model will brake.

(and a piece was actually missing since it was invisible from the outside...)

It turns out the weak spot is behind the minifigure, since it needs to be the lowest part the floor only connects by about 2-4 studs to the rear.

LDD universe does not contain any brackets, but if you use this bracketthe stability should be sufficient.

chassis.png

The outer mudguards are only attached from below due to their design,

so they will not stand wheight from above and if they fall off this is the first a child will try, breaking more parts.

However TLG has done worse in great sets such as 7991, so test your kid with that model if you are worried:

7991_garbage_truck_built1.jpg

This is really a great LDD MOC of the '62 Morgan Lemans, very clever job achieveing the overall 'slopey' look of this classic car. I'm certainly looking forward seeing this in real brickbuild. Very good designing pcc! default_thumbup.gif

Very nice car pacc. well done

You might want to consider this part

30149.gif?0

Never fear! The King of copying is here! I'll make mine a bit soother though.

Pacc, thanks for the reply. I think I just picked up one of those brackets from the Pick a Brick wall last month. Interestingly I love the look of 7991, but you are correct that it is very fragile. I think that's the set I've reconstructed for my kids more than any other. However, I think a bigger problem than the fragile connection on 7991 is the weight of the back end that is attached by the fragile connection. I would think that your model wouldn't have as much weight hanging by a stud.

I checked and could put the bracket below the plate, this changes the angle a tiny bit

giving a small slope to the hood (which is good) but will also allow an additional reinforcement

from below. The roof was a bit off, but now that I found a solution I like it better.

morgan_v6.png

And I finally found the bracket (called bottom in the modified bricks) so this version will come

up on DesignByMe.

Another solution was using a 2x8 technics plate with holes matches and mating the hole in the bracket with a halfpin connector from below. This will still flex a bit over time.

My 3,5 year old always puts the wheels on first, after that I have to help by pressing from below for every piece.

Though he's not the audience. Sadly I'm not close to getting the pieces for this one, maybe I'll order next year sometime.

Edited by pacc

Great work, pacc! It looks just like the real thing, it has a very sleek design. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

I might at most put an extra 6x2 plate if the back seems to thin in reality, but less is often better.

Brickshelf gallery is public now and I've also uploaded a pair of models to lego DesignByMe as user paccpacc.