Hinckley

Harry Potter Winter Break Contest

harry_potter_contest.jpg

Harry Potter Winter Break Contest!

Build a structure from the books that is not Hogwarts

Harry, Hermione and Ron found all sorts of trouble during Winter Break and they usually found it in places outside of Hogwarts. Places like Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley or the Dark Arts haven of Knockturn Alley. Show us one of their adventures by building one of the shops or restaurants from these three locations. You can also build one of their homes or the homes of any character, or any location that appears in the books that isn't Hogwarts.

Rules

1. Must be built with LEGO bricks, no clone brands or custom parts.
  2. 1000 piece limit.
  3. No digital entries are allowed - only actual brick-built entries.
  4. Contestants may submit a maximum number of 5 pictures per entry.
  5. Entries should have a link to a picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy).
  6. Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels. Posts with larger pics will be deleted.
  7. No webcam or phone pictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background.
  8. No Photoshop enhancements outside of sharpening, brightening, color correction or other image adjustment. No added text or effects.
  9. Entries must be new. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified.
  10. Contest entries must be posted before the 1st of February, 2011.
  11. Only one entry per person.
  12. Create a separate thread for each entry. Subject should start with WINTER BREAK: (which means it should end with the name of your creation. :hmpf: Format "WINTER BREAK: Name of Creation"
  13. All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress.
  14. All entries not living up to the rules on the end date will be disqualified
  15. Entries must be something the whole AFOL community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content.

Prizes

1st place-10217 Diagon Alley

2nd place-4842 Hogwarts Castle

3rd place-4841 Hogwarts Express

Awesome! I'll enter this for sure, there are so many locations to make! :sweet:

Thanks for this guys!

Am I allowed to do Azkaban? If I am, I will enter this contest with my recreation of it.

Lord Embo

Edited by Lord Embo

Haha, this is exactly what I need !

as a Harry Potter MOCer, Brickfilmer and Fan, this is the best Contest ever. I'm going to surf through the books once again to find out what place/scene I can do... The prices are wonderfull :wub: I don't have any of them except Hogwarts Castle, So I guess I'll have to be :

1) The best !

2) Fantastic but not too much so I do not end up in the Second place...

This is going to be hard :sceptic::tongue:

I'm Already exited about Matn, I hope he's going to enter, He's a harry Potter expert and it will fit in greatly with his Hogsmead !

Haha, this is exactly what I need !

This is going to be hard :sceptic::tongue:

1)Same here! I can finally prove my MOCing abilities. :grin:

2)I suppose. Just look through your parts, look at reference pictures of the place in question and see if you have the necessary parts. I'm doing Azkaban. :wink:

Good luck in the contest everyone! :thumbup:

Lord Embo

Edited by Lord Embo

One quick Question : Custom Parts are not allowed. But are we allowed to use Stickers and stuff ? ( including Self-made Stickers of course ) Or does that go into the Custom Parts rule ?

Sounds pretty interesting, might have a go default_classic.gif Now just need to think of some locations.

P.S Love the new skin.

I love it to! :wub:

Wow! Diagon Alley first prize!? Im entering for sure! :sweet:

Thanks for the contest Hinckley!

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

I'm in !

My son and yourstruely will design and build something.....hey a change to win that sweet mega set - Ow, YEAH ! :grin:

Forget the keep on......just get building ! :laugh:

Wow great prizes and the new banner is superb but I still liked the POP one :classic:

Hmmm I may not be much off a HP fan but I might enter this :sweet:

Also there is no line between the signatures in this subforum it is quite confusing to know if somethings part off a signature or not.

Edited by Darth Jar Jar

I've got the feeling that the competition will be rather formidable, but I have an idea already. I'm going to get started building ASAP. Those prizes are truly phenomenal!

This is a very neat idea idea for a contest! And yes, the prizes are great also!

When I've finished my Winter Village entry, I'll see to an entry for this contest!

Cheers!

Enpaz

Edited by Enpaz

Do entries need to have the trio in them?

I probably won't make Azkaban as I first said because I haven't got enough dark bley bricks.

Lord Embo

Hey there,

I have some questions about the contest.

1. What do we have to choose from now? One of the three places given (Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, Hogsmeade)? Or are we free to choose any scene of the Potter books including Harry, Ron and Hermione during winter holidays? Or are we absolutely free to choose any place and time including all the Potter minifigures that we want to us? - You don't really make this clear,... Are there restrictions except for "not Hogwarts" and "1000 pcs"? (please also tell me whether the trio has to be part of the scenery!)

2. Do I have to tell you now, that I will join, or can I start building and then join the contest, say... end of january?

3. How much custom is allowed? Are custom minifigures, decals, stickers; printed pieces of tissue O.K. or are there restrictions as well?

4. Is there something like a minimum size?

Thanks for your reply!

Jango

What a great contest this is! And great banner too. Sadly I am emigrating in 28 days - build now or choose blocks for later, what a choice.

I take it this does not have to be a canon scene? And I know Jango already asked, but other locations are allowed?

This is maybe a geek too far, but does this refer to any specific year's Winter? eg we know that in 1993 they were all at Hogwarts at Christmas but by 2000 Voldemort was defeated and by 2010 they all have toddlers.

many thanks,

Robuko

Edited by robuko

Woohoo! A HP contest at last! And a new skin to boot! :cry_happy: Does this make it a semi-HP month? :grin: Either way, I'm very happy! The new banner keeps nicely with the not-in-Hogwarts theme and looks nice. Too bad the thing in the top right corner covers Fenrir and Bella up. :sadnew:

Nice idea for a contest, and very generous prizes! I have so many ideas... There's no overhang limit, right?

Great contest, and oh-so delicious prizes! Too bad I won't be able to join, since I'm not an HP fan and the current holiday season will be extremely busy for me. But it'll surely be interesting to see the fantastic entries our master MOCers would come up. Good luck to the participants!

I can't wait to see these entries. A Harry Potter contest is something I've certainly never seen here yet.

The new banner and skin look great too!

Now if only adults got a winter break.

Wow those prizes! :wub: Now all I need to do is finish my winter village entry and start building something for this entry. I think I know what I'm going to build.