Sign in to follow this  
meyerc13

Cheapest sets to buy to get minifigs for core characters

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

My son is just getting interested in LEGO Star Wars, and I was considering buying a small set or two for Christmas for him. However, I now see that magnet packs will no longer be an option to acquire minifigs for Star Wars. Since most of these sets are priced so high, I'm curious how much it would cost me (since he can't seem to save his $5/week allowance long enough to buy anything over $20 which most of these sets are) to get him the core characters.

So my question is, what combination of sets can I go to a TRU or LEGO store today and buy that will get me the main characters for Ep IV-VI (R2D2, C3PO, Leia, Luke, Obi Wan, Darth, Chewie, Han) in non-environment specific attire (flight suits and Hoth jackets to be avoided).

The combination I came up with is the X-Wing, Vader's Tie, and Land speeder for about $105. Is there a better combination that is cheaper?

How about for Ep I-III including Clone Wars... not sure who you need beside Obi Wan and Anakin, maybe Ahsoka too? What combination works here?

As someone who was just about to take the plunge into LEGO Star Wars, this news about the magnet sets has me reconsidering. My son can afford a $5-7 4" Hasbro Star Wars figure on his allowance, but a $30 LEGO set is not an option. I can't see him keeping an interest until his birthday in September if he doesn't have any of his favorite characters, and unfortunately I already did almost all of the Christmas shopping for him, and his interest in LEGO Star Wars has just popped up in the last month.

For now let's keep ebay and bricklink out of the equation, I'd prefer to understand what the price will cost me at retail.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully this topic can be used for other parents facing a similar situation in the future.

If you want them in classic clothing, the X-wing won't do. Let's see...

Landspeeder - $25, Luke, R2, C-3PO, Ben/Obi-Wan

Ackbar-Leia-3PO Magnet set - $15, Leia, C-3PO

Scout-Han-Paploo Magnet set - $15, Han

Obi-Wan-Vader-Chewie Magnet set - $15, Vader, Chewie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $70 +tax

That's using a ton of magnet sets, though, which means only one vehicle. So far as I know, the magnet sets are still unglued at this point for the 2010 and earlier releases. Otherwise...

Vader's TIE - $30, Vader

Tantive IV - $150, Leia

Battle of Endor - $100, Han, Chewie

------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $305

That is, of course, for the classic clothing, but for that price you might as well shell out the $400 and get the Death Star.

That's using a ton of magnet sets, though, which means only one vehicle. So far as I know, the magnet sets are still unglued at this point for the 2010 and earlier releases. Otherwise...

Vader's TIE - $30, Vader

Tantive IV - $150, Leia

That is, of course, for the classic clothing, but for that price you might as well shell out the $400 and get the Death Star.

Agreed. I know you said leave bricklink and ebay out, but I reckon they are your best bet. Your can get all the figs, for around $40 - 50 at most, that is if you get the cheapest ones. :wink: But then there is shipping so it will come out round the same price as brickdocter said, but with Bd's price, you get Luke's speeder in there aswell, so his idea is a better buy. :sweet:

Hope that helps..

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

The magnet set could be unglued, but all new magnets - including production of previously released magnet sets, are to be glued to my knowledge. So move fast people if you want unglued magnets.

It wont last for long, now that it's been stated that they'll be glueing them :thumbdown:

The magnet set could be unglued, but all new magnets - including production of previously released magnet sets, are to be glued to my knowledge. So move fast people if you want unglued magnets.

It wont last for long, now that it's been stated that they'll be glueing them :thumbdown:

Wow, that really sucks. Good thing I already got my Fisto and Ackbar sets a few weeks ago.

I wonder how popular the glued sets will be...

On topic: The Ackbar magnet set is a must-buy in your case, the Tantive is a bit too expensive just to buy it for the figs.

How old is your son? If he's 10 or older, I suggest he get the death star playset. I know it's a bit much,but it has every core OT character and even some others. It's a great value for what you get, and if your kid sees that on christmas day, I can guarantee you that he'll be jumping with joy. Plus, once it's built, he'll have a fun time playing around with all of the figures!

Hope this helps!

How old is your son? If he's 10 or older, I suggest he get the death star playset. I know it's a bit much,but it has every core OT character and even some others. It's a great value for what you get, and if your kid sees that on christmas day, I can guarantee you that he'll be jumping with joy. Plus, once it's built, he'll have a fun time playing around with all of the figures!

Hope this helps!

I agree as I own it, but $400 is a lot to spend on Legos for most people.

I would get the X-Wing and Vaders TIE. If you had to pick just one, then the X-Wing.

It really depends on who you consider the "core characters" are. The Landspeeder and Vader's TIE get you Luke, R2D2, C3PO and Obi Wan, Vader plus a Stormtrooper. And the total price is around $50. Adding 6212 nets a Pilot Luke, Chewbacca, Hoth Leia, Hoth Han and a second R2D2. Unfortunately, for "cheap" sets, that's about the limit. You have to go much more expensive to get any other minifigs (episode IV Leia, for example).

For the Clone Wars minifigs, Anakin and Ahsoka are pretty easy, in set 8037 - Anakin's Y-Wing, for around $50. Unfortunately Obi-Wan has only been in two sets, and the RGS is well out of production. You might be able to find the Pirate Tank, though. It was a Target exclusive, and went for $35 if I recall correctly. Obi and Anakin are going to be in a 2011 set (the T-6 Shuttle), but that is the largest set of the January wave and hence is going to be expensive (~$80).

LEGO is not cheap, and the prices on the Star Wars line are even higher than non-liscensed lines. I feel for your dilemma, but if you are going to take the plunge, get ready for the sticker shock now.

Hope all of this helps.

Thanks for the great replies so far! I peruse Brickset daily, but it's hard to tell which sets are current without browsing back and forth over 4+ years because some sets that are still for sale debuted way back in 2006! It would have taken me quite some time to look at all the sets over that 4 year span to figure out which were still current and which minifigs came with which set.

I think I may have to get some of the above mentioned magnet sets now to save quite a bit down the road. I feel sorry for parents starting next year whose kids won't have the chance to pick up their favorite characters. It's one thing to include them in a $20-$30 set, quite another to expect a child to be able to acquire a $50-$100 set on their own. I really hope LEGO comes out with more sets like Luke's Landspeeder in the sub $30 range so that kids can actually have the important minifigs they'll need to act out their favorite scenes.

For the Clone Wars, I never paid much attention to the Y Wing so it is good to know that it comes with three major characters!

I'd love the Death Star, but $400 is much more than we budget for each of our children, and we try to get them a balance of things within that budget. Even a $100 LEGO set is too much unless I can find it on sale like I did this year with the City Police Station which I purchased for 40% off. With a $100+ set, there would be few presents under the tree on Christmas morning.

Even a $100 LEGO set is too much unless I can find it on sale like I did this year with the City Police Station which I purchased for 40% off. With a $100+ set, there would be few presents under the tree on Christmas morning.

When I was a kid I sometimes chose one super-cool present over several smaller ones. Your kid might as well.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Agree Brickdoctor, I would suggest getting Boba fett too (magnet). kids love Boba. that's coolest :)

Vader's TIE - $30, Vader

Tantive IV - $150, Leia

Edited by happymark

I would suggest these Sets with core figures.

Anakin's Jedi Starfighter- Anakin and R2-D2 http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7669_Anakin%27s_Jedi_Starfighter

Clone Walker Battle Pack- I think Clones are pretty core characters because they are based in the "Clone Wars" http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8014_Clone_Walker_Battle_Pack

Echo Base- Han Solo. http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7749_Echo_Base

And As Doc said the Landspeeder also has a lot of Core Characters :wink:

Hope these helped :grin:

That is a tough get. Well, Landspeeder is a must, it has half of the figures you've listed. Leia is going to be tough, and they haven't made a normal suited Han since the Death Star. I don't know what to tell you. So far, I'd think the Landspeeder and Vader's TIE. If you really want Leia and Han, you might just want to shell out the cash for the X-Wing. They're in Hoth suits, but getting them normal is at least 3 times as expensive.

So, in a summary, yes, X-Wing, Landspeeder, and the TIE are your best options, unless you opt for magnets.

Edited by CallMePie

You could try Amazon.com. My fiancee ordered a xmas gift for her boss, but to get free shipping she had to spend more. So we looked up lego sets. We got the Toy Story army guys set and we found someone selling single Starwars minifigs. We picked up a Slave Leia (in pink flesh) for like 3 dollars.

That is a tough get. Well, Landspeeder is a must, it has half of the figures you've listed. Leia is going to be tough, and they haven't made a normal suited Han since the Death Star. I don't know what to tell you. So far, I'd think the Landspeeder and Vader's TIE. If you really want Leia and Han, you might just want to shell out the cash for the X-Wing. They're in Hoth suits, but getting them normal is at least 3 times as expensive.

So, in a summary, yes, X-Wing, Landspeeder, and the TIE are your best options, unless you opt for magnets.

There's a normal Han in Battle of Endor. :wink:

Not to say that isn't expensive, but compared to the DS...

For Han and Leia, if you want classic outfits, you'll have to go the magnet route.

What?! Why?! When?! *oh2*

Did I miss a specific topic or is this major (bad) news just between the lines?

This should be broadcasted widely as everyone is expecting them to be unglued.

Why this change of policy?

Maybe something for our ambassador to ask...

What?! Why?! When?! *oh2*

Did I miss a specific topic or is this major (bad) news just between the lines?

This should be broadcasted widely as everyone is expecting them to be unglued.

Why this change of policy?

Maybe something for our ambassador to ask...

Yea, it is pretty depressing that everything will be glued from now on.

Here's the news taken from Brickset:

The LEGO Ambassadors have been told: "All Extended Line minifigure magnet sets will as of Jan 1st 2011 be glued.

"Based on new requirements, the magnet base and the minifigures will have to be permanently fixed together on LEGO Star Wars magnet sets. To ensure a consistent consumer experience across all LEGO minifigure magnet sets we have chosen to permanently fix the minifigure to the magnet base on all magnet sets moving forward from Jan 1st 2011 (incl. Pharaoh’s Quest launching Dec 1st). This decision has been carefully considered and was not taken easily as we know that many consumers will obviously not like this change."

When I was a kid I sometimes chose one super-cool present over several smaller ones. Your kid might as well.

He's only five, and I have no doubt he'd chose the larger set, along with all of the other large toys he wants. We tried to explain to him that mommy and daddy have a budget for our Christmas shopping, so the LEGO Death Star wasn't in our budget, his reply, "That's okay dad. I know you can't afford it but Santa can!" :classic:

Thanks everyone for the help! I now know the options and have a plan. Hopefully this thread helps someone else down the road.

He's only five, and I have no doubt he'd chose the larger set, along with all of the other large toys he wants. We tried to explain to him that mommy and daddy have a budget for our Christmas shopping, so the LEGO Death Star wasn't in our budget, his reply, "That's okay dad. I know you can't afford it but Santa can!" :classic:

Thanks everyone for the help! I now know the options and have a plan. Hopefully this thread helps someone else down the road.

My son is 7 and just got into Lego and Star Wars this past year and I can tell you that he does not play with the ships that much compared to stuff he builds himself. But the figures are all he wants. He has started playing more with the ships recently so this might change for him soon. I have got several figures via the magnet sets and off of Bricklink. I have to resort to some custom figures soon as he wants some no longer made and some that were yellow only, and he only wants fleshies for his Star Wars and Potter sets, his regular (Castle) Lego is fine in yellow, but not the license stuff.

DO NOT buy the Lego visual guide for him, unless you want to hear "Dad I need this and this and this"; and unfortuantly it is all old stuff no longer made and stupid expensive.

"Based on new requirements, the magnet base and the minifigures will have to be permanently fixed together on LEGO Star Wars magnet sets. To ensure a consistent consumer experience across all LEGO minifigure magnet sets we have chosen to permanently fix the minifigure to the magnet base on all magnet sets moving forward from Jan 1st 2011 (incl. Pharaoh’s Quest launching Dec 1st). This decision has been carefully considered and was not taken easily as we know that many consumers will obviously not like this change."

"New requirements"? They say themselves that many (=most) consumers won't like it, why do they even try to disguise it as "Based on new requirements" :thumbdown:

Anyways, getting magnet sets now is always a good idea. They'll rise in price at the least.

Edited by Supersonic

DO NOT buy the Lego visual guide for him, unless you want to hear "Dad I need this and this and this"; and unfortuantly it is all old stuff no longer made and stupid expensive.

Too late. :sad: That's what started his interest in LEGO Star Wars - his grandfather bought him the book. Then he wanted to watch the movies with me again... and now he has been bitten by the Star Wars bug.

Too late. :sad: That's what started his interest in LEGO Star Wars - his grandfather bought him the book. Then he wanted to watch the movies with me again... and now he has been bitten by the Star Wars bug.

Cool!

If you want to buy new, this is my opinion as well. If it where me, I would buy the landspeeder now and then keep watch on craigslist for used LEGO. In a few months you should be able to find a bulk lot that has all the figs and many more.

Edit to add:

I had to laugh at the recommendation to spend $400 on a LEGO set for a kids just getting into the block. That is a LOT of money for most people. Also that sets a very bad precedence.

Enjoy the many, many hours to come building with your son.

Edited by Follows Closely

Just make sure he doesn't get bitten by the Neo-Clone Wars bug, or he'll lose appreciation for the Original Trilogy completely. In other words, keep him as far away from the Cartoon Network as possible. (You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy - except maybe the Disney Channel.) And of course, watch out for the Special Editions. And be sure to pore over every picture in the visual guide with him to help him spot out as many inaccuracies and wacky proportions in the vehicles as possible to give him a keen eye for details. Once he's acquired a real feel for the main characters, steer him toward the Thrawn Trilogy and the Black Fleet Crisis when he's old enough so that he can follow the stories of his favorite characters while expanding his vocabulary. As you're doing this, you might as well encourage him to consider the physics of Star Wars and how an X-wing could not possibly stay up in the air without the use of the Force - and be sure that he knows that a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. If you're crazy enough to follow the suggestions above you'll end up with a fairly bright child who can impress all around him with his brilliant mind and his love and knowledge of Star Wars.*

*And he'll also be a lot like me... :tongue:

On a more serious note, if he only likes the minifigures, you may want to consider switching over to Hasbro, as LEGO minifigures of core characters require a large wallet at this point. Not only that, LEGO minifigures aren't very durable; all the joints will loosen up and start cracking after a few days of intense, child-induced lightsaber battling. (One of my minifigures from around '97 can no longer hold a megaphone upright.) On the other hand, I think I saw a Han Solo action figure at the local Wal-Mart the other day... but I could be wrong. And you could probably run a truck over the Hasbro figures and they'll be just fine.

"New requirements"? They say themselves that many (=most) consumers won't like it, why do they even try to disguise it as "Based on new requirements" :thumbdown:

Anyways, getting magnet sets now is always a good idea. They'll rise in price at the least.

The "Based on new requirements" was because Hasbro owns the license for action figures, and releasing minifigs in a cleverly disguised magnet loophole isn't going to fly anymore. The other sets will be glued now to prevent confusion, but likely because they've seen set purchases drop and magnet purchases rise. Have to pay to play I guess.

Personally I like it. It's a bummer to buy the Home One and get an exclusive Ackbar figure, only to see it released in a cheap magnet set. And I do mean cheap, because the quality of plastic for the magnet minifigs is less than the plastic used in the actual sets. For collectors, sets will hold a better value over time if minifigs can't be purchased separately.