commanderneyo

This Lego Star Wars Set Is Not So Bad After All

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Have you ever got a Lego Star Wars set that you thought would be rubbish but you ended up enjoying the set?

One of the times I remember that happening was when I got the Droid Gunship. I didn't think it was going to be any good a set till I got it for my birthday as is now one of my main Separatist ships for fighting Jedi and Clones :wink:

No actually why would I choose to buy a bad set over one I like? :tongue:

Also I think the droid gunship was a great set too bad I missed it :sadnew:

Edited by Darth Jar Jar

Ah no, if I could I would have them all, I think some are not as nice as others, but if I had the money or it was a gift I wouldn't care.

That said I thought the mini V-19 was rather ugly until I got it as a gift, then upon closer look I began to like it.

Well Jar Jar I think its meant as if you got one as a gift.

Edited by DarthSion

Ah no, if I could I would have them all, I think some are not as nice as others, but if I had the money or it was a gift I wouldn't care.

That said I thought the mini V-19 was rather ugly until I got it as a gift, then upon closer look I began to like it.

Well Jar Jar I think its meant as if you got one as a gift.

Ooo I got a nick name :grin:

Oh as a gift well I got Vaders tie advanced I would have never bought it if I didn't get it as a gift and its actually an ok set :classic:

Honestly, I've never got a LEGO set I didn't like, I mean worst case scenario, you have a new bunch of pieces for MOC'ing.

Honestly, I've never got a LEGO set I didn't like, I mean worst case scenario, you have a new bunch of pieces for MOC'ing.

I agree with Cam here. I've never received a bad LEGO set.

Although one set I received that I thought would end up as spare parts that I ended up liking a lot was the Twilight. For as much grief as everyone gives it, I thought it was a decent set. It got a LOT better when I added a floor and the clones out of a Clone Walker Battle Pack. :wink:

The Twilight. For as much grief as everyone gives it, I thought it was a decent set. It got a LOT better when I added a floor and the clones out of a Clone Walker Battle Pack. :wink:

Yeah, I'll agree with that. For the price of a few plates LEGO could have improved that set right out of the box.

That's my opinion too!

One example for me was the regular sized V-19 Torrent. I thought it was lame and too expensive, until I saw it built, and played with it. Long story short, I have it, and love it!

Yeah, I'll agree with that. For the price of a few plates LEGO could have improved that set right out of the box.

The sad thing is, it didn't take that much.

One 6 x 12 plate, and one 2 x 10 (I think; it definitely was only two plates, though the 2 x 10 might've been a 2 x 12). I added a lot more details, including a staircase to the cockpit, a ladder to the tool rack and a computer console for technical "stuff". Gave the clones something to do.

I got the Twilight when it was $50, so it was a great parts pack, but I don't think I took the time to sew whether Inreally liked it or not before parting it out. I guess I still thought it was ugly. The Midi ISD from this year is one that I thought would be ugly and bought as a parts pack but it turned out to look pretty good.

The Twilight is one of those sets that still looks horrible even if you had one, I have had one but sold it on again.

As for a set that does look better at second glance, the RGS. this looked blocky and ungainly on the net, but when I finally got my hands on one (a friends, not my own :sad:) I saw that it was good, but not a patch on the old one. (I didn't like the choice of figs though 8 clones would have been better).

One example for me was the regular sized V-19 Torrent. I thought it was lame and too expensive, until I saw it built, and played with it. Long story short, I have it, and love it!

Same for me, got that set for christmas two years ago and I was amazed. Especially the mechanism to flip from landing mode to flight mode.

Still, I wouldn't ever buy a set I don't like.

Well, I was surprised by the Rebel Trooper Battle Pack. I bought the set to get the figs, but the Ice Cutter turned out to be quite well designed and looks much better than I thought it would.

Besides Battle Packs, I never received a set I don't like; but maybe that's because I like nearly every set, as long as it's Star Wars :wink:

Edited by Emperor

Besides Battle Packs, I never received a set I don't like; but maybe that's because I like nearly every set, as long as it's Star Wars :wink:

Wait, there's a battle pack you don't like? I though all of them were pretty good. The Assassin Droid pack is the weakest, but the speeder in that set is decent.

Wait, there's a battle pack you don't like? I though all of them were pretty good. The Assassin Droid pack is the weakest, but the speeder in that set is decent.

I don't really like the Clone Walker, the parts are great for MOCs, but the design is really bad in my opinion.

The Imperial Dropship is awful, too.

Anyway, I didn't say I don't like them, mostly I just don't care about the few bricks included; that's why the Ice Cutter was so surpising; I found the design awful when I first saw pics of it, but so far it has been my favorite Battle Pack vehicle.

Edited by Emperor

I don't really like the Clone Walker, the parts are great for MOCs, but the design is really bad in my opinion.

The Imperial Dropship is awful, too.

Anyway, I didn't say I don't like them, mostly I just don't care about the few bricks included; that's why the Ice Cutter was so surpising; I found the design awful when I first saw pics of it, but so far it has been my favorite Battle Pack vehicle.

Ahh, I understand now. I have to agree the Dropship itself wasn't great. But the BPs are mainly about the figs, which is why I go nuts for them. The Walker helped fill my RGS. Both of them. And my AT-OT, and AT-TE, and...you get the point. :blush:

I'd go with the newest AT-AT. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the original pictures of it, but once I put it together and saw it in person, I actually thought it looked really nice. Still a tad small, but overall the set is much better than I expected.

I also agree with the thought process though that no Lego set is bad, because the set can be modded or taken apart and used for other things.

hmm, I was unsure about buying the Hyena Droid Bomber...didn't like it then, still don't really like it.

Bought the Wampa Cave...don't like the cave. Snowspeeder is good though.

on the otherhand, I was unsure about buying Plo Koon's JSF. LOVE IT! :sing:

One set I wasn't sure about was the JSF with hyperdrive ring. It looked way too expensive- IMO it should've been 30 bucks, and seem overall a bad investment. When I got it, though, I was amased. it's come very usefull in several aspects, especilaly getitng Fisto.

It was reverse for me. I got Battle for Endor (I think that's what its called) expecting it to be as good as the old ones, but the set was terrible in my opinion.

One set I wasn't sure about was the JSF with hyperdrive ring. It looked way too expensive- IMO it should've been 30 bucks, and seem overall a bad investment. When I got it, though, I was amased. it's come very usefull in several aspects, especilaly getitng Fisto.

Yeah, that is what I thought at first about the JSF with Hyperdrive. Overpriced and not worth it. But I REALLY wanted Kit FIsto, so I got it, and was surprised by it!

It was reverse for me. I got Battle for Endor (I think that's what its called) expecting it to be as good as the old ones, but the set was terrible in my opinion.

Battle of Endor was unprecendented, and compared to the rest of the 2009 sets it was among the best.

Battle of Endor was unprecendented, and compared to the rest of the 2009 sets it was among the best.

I agree with you, Doc. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm curious to know which "original" sets Lilsniffs thinks are better than it, though. Ewok Attack and maybe the Speeder Bike set? I think the presence of the Endor Rebels and a decent AT-ST would push BoE over the top. Perhaps he's just comparing the AT-ST to the previous version, and on that count I agree with him, but BoE was so much more than the AT-ST.

I agree with you, Doc. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm curious to know which "original" sets Lilsniffs thinks are better than it, though. Ewok Attack and maybe the Speeder Bike set? I think the presence of the Endor Rebels and a decent AT-ST would push BoE over the top. Perhaps he's just comparing the AT-ST to the previous version, and on that count I agree with him, but BoE was so much more than the AT-ST.

I suppose. BoE's AT-ST is the only one I have, but from pictures I think it was definitely better than the first. Not sure 'bout the second though. The only thing the old Endor sets have over the new one is Endor Luke, but that character wasn't present during the battle.