Fugazi

Pharaoh's Quest 2011

PoP was slightly better, since the figures were more detailed (Anubis excluded), but then again, since this is not a liscensed theme, they are not expected to be. The price on PoP was not that much of a markup (excluding the Ostrich Race) compared to the desired price-per-brick ratio. Agreed on the biplane!

Sirus

The only thing I hope is either one of the smaller sets gets a mummy changed to an Anubis or there is an impluse of him. An army of jackal men led by Anubis or even being able to make a row of Anubis "statues" to go with the Horus "statues" would just make this theme perfect to me.

Agreed-- Sure hope that headpiece isn't only available in the pyramid, because that's not going to be on my list. LOVE the biplane, and some of the vehicles look pretty sharp too!

EDIT: Anyone else notice the driver of the vehicle beside the sphinx statue?? Looks like he's got sideburns, maybe even a soul patch-- either way it appears to be a new head print? Or am I wrong?

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Some excellent pieces in these sets and overall I must say I like how the theme looks. :thumbup: I agree with the comments on the giant brick-built creatures though :sick:

Agreed-- Sure hope that headpiece isn't only available in the pyramid, because that's not going to be on my list. LOVE the biplane, and some of the vehicles look pretty sharp too!

EDIT: Anyone else notice the driver of the vehicle beside the sphinx statue?? Looks like he's got sideburns, maybe even a soul patch-- either way it appears to be a new head print? Or am I wrong?

Even if it's not an old head print, it's certainly not a finalized head print. No sparkle in the eyes.

People gotta remember that these are ALL PRELIMINARY. Anything can still change at this point.

Well now, that is great news! I'm surprised by how many giant built creatures there are, but they don't really bother me all too much. the motorcycle set is a must buy in multiples!! :wub:

These are all prelim, so I can't wait to see the final versions of all the headgear and the face/body prints. That is indeed a new face print with a soul patch in the pilot; I'd say the only set I'm not in love with is the giant cobra, but I'll have to wait to see the official pics! Thank you so much Nausi!!!!

I have to disagree with many of you guys, in that despite the big monsters this theme still offers something quite unique to the LEGO themes. If you prefer historic themes and aren't so much into the action-elements, you can quite easily remove the mummies from the pyramid set, for example, and get a great display for archeologists or explorers.

Sure, none of these sets are really 100% authentic or historically accurate, but did someone really expect TLG to produce a theme like that? The target audience - little boys - love monsters and conflict, so without them the sets wouldn't sell.

I also really love the color scheme in this theme. The dark blue, dark red, orange and gold really break the monotony of the tan, black and brown bases - just like they did in the old Adventurers and Indiana Jones Egypt-related sets.

This is not a new Adventurers theme, but this is inspired of The Mummy franchise. Because this Egyptian-related theme focuses on the battle between Humans and Mummies.

actually, if you look closely, the stuff int he motorcycle set pic looks finalized. The mummies here have different faces and the scarab shields look polished, not prototype. Also, compare the moon staff to the one in the other picture, and you'll see that it looks finalized, too.

So basically, we'll be seeing new mummy faces and a lot of awesomeness. The motorcycle set is quite a catch for a measly 10 dollars.

So basically, we'll be seeing new mummy faces and a lot of awesomeness. The motorcycle set is quite a catch for a measly 10 dollars.

I know. I love that even though the motocycle is small, they put on a bunch of parts to make a real bike, instead of cheaping out on just the hood piec. It has a tail hood, double lights up front, extra clips...

I wonder how much the biplane set will be. I'm sure there will be another mummy in the final version, so I'm thinking $20-$30.

The motorcycle set is quite a catch for a measly 10 dollars.

TLG has been clever enough to include these 'army builders' in recent themes: Cannon Battle in Pirates, Cross Bow attack in (Fantasy) Castle, and the PoP Hassassin set to name a few.

I have to disagree with many of you guys, in that despite the big monsters this theme still offers something quite unique to the LEGO themes. If you prefer historic themes and aren't so much into the action-elements, you can quite easily remove the mummies from the pyramid set, for example, and get a great display for archeologists or explorers.

Sure, none of these sets are really 100% authentic or historically accurate, but did someone really expect TLG to produce a theme like that? The target audience - little boys - love monsters and conflict, so without them the sets wouldn't sell.

I also really love the color scheme in this theme. The dark blue, dark red, orange and gold really break the monotony of the tan, black and brown bases - just like they did in the old Adventurers and Indiana Jones Egypt-related sets.

Good points, I was going to post something like this.

With recent action-oriented, crazy-colored themes like power miners, atlantis, and world racers what were people expecting from this one? Remember, its LEGO, if you don't like something about a set, just mod it. :wink:

TLG has been clever enough to include these 'army builders' in recent themes: Cannon Battle in Pirates, Cross Bow attack in (Fantasy) Castle, and the PoP Hassassin set to name a few.

indeed. Great parts packs for a do-able price. The Hassassin set is one of the few I was able to pick up this year, but it was well worth it for the plethora of new parts in it. The Motorcycle set is even better! Two new mummies with black headdresses and two sets of sword and scarab shield plus dynomite, motor and accessories, plus a staff.

Oh man, that biplane and the bike sets are must buys for me. I like the look of the vehicles they've gone with - and check out that fine asp! :tongue:

This theme has some potential in my eyes. I certainly don't like these brick built monsters, and those buggy shields, what's that all about :hmpf_bad: But on the other hand we have some cool figs and few rather awesome vehicles. They somehow appear a bit post-apoc styled with all them weapons attached to them, sweet!

I'm pretty glad Ninjago looks like a fail to me, that way all be able to spend more money on these lovely sets! The motorcycle and Bi-plane are must buys for me, I also like the cobra attack, looks really cool! And the pyramid, I wonder what mystreries it holds? And a full pyramid for 100$ No duh I'm going to get that, the only thing that I don't like is the sphinx set, the head is very well designed, but the body is a no.

All is well! Except that the sets are just like in Atlantis: Scarab=Giant Crab, Scorpion=Giant Squid, Basilisk=Shark. :sceptic:

I love the Dark red vehicles, :wub: I never thought Lego would put guns mounted on the car! IMO, the basilisk and sphinx I am not going to get(besides, doesn't the sphinx have a human head? :wacko: ).

I'll probably get the big sets for my birthday/using the money I'll get at christmas. :devil:

Edited by indianajones

The Pyramid seems to measure approximately 30x12, possibly a bit more. So it's actually more like a half-pyramid, with the facind side steeper than the others. The back is likely open, and I'm quite curious as to what that interior looks like. If I had the money I would probably think about buying 2 sets and building them back to back in order to have a full pyramid!

The Pyramid seems to measure approximately 30x12, possibly a bit more. So it's actually more like a half-pyramid, with the facind side steeper than the others. The back is likely open, and I'm quite curious as to what that interior looks like. If I had the money I would probably think about buying 2 sets and building them back to back in order to have a full pyramid!

It's the same baseplate as the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull if you look closely. Something tells me the back will need some modifying... :devil:

It probably won't work back to back, but if you combine them to make one super large one it'd be awesome! :grin: (If only they replaced white slopes with Dark tan, then it would be even awesomer).

Thats a very neat idea

I would have to say that I'm really liking the looks of all those explorer torsos, the heads will likely change, and we'll get new head prints for each character. The motorcycle head looks finalized though, I see lots of "tank top with suspenders" type torsos which is definatley a plus. Can't wait to get these! The plane looks like the back half is your regular red, whereas the wings are a nice republic red, probably just a trick of the light though.

I actually thing the little blue scarab is quite cute, I could just imagine a story where he turns out to be friendly, like a pet dog or something, and then when they all meet up at the big pyramid, he fights the big scorpion! And he wins because he has all the heart and spirit. :laugh:

This theme has some potential in my eyes. I certainly don't like these brick built monsters, and those buggy shields, what's that all about :hmpf_bad:

From Pantheon.org referring to the scarab god Khepri.

"The scarab's habit of laying eggs in animal dung as well as the bodies of dead scarabs was noticed by the Egyptians. The subsequent hatching of the eggs from this seemingly unpromising material lead to the Egyptians associating the scarab with renewal, rebirth and resurrection."

So giving undead mummies scarab shields is totally fitting with Egyptian mythology.

The giant cobra is the goddess Renenutet. The giant scorpion is the goddess Serket. Look up both those names in the previous link and you will find Lego did their homework very well for this theme. :wink:

I actually thing the little blue scarab is quite cute, I could just imagine a story where he turns out to be friendly, like a pet dog or something, and then when they all meet up at the big pyramid, he fights the big scorpion! And he wins because he has all the heart and spirit. :laugh:

Bionicle: The Legend Reborn. :wink:

Sorry folks, had to remove the images from Flickr. I think we all knew that was coming. Hope you got what you wanted.

Hm, I just don’t know. On the one hand, I’m glad to see the Egypt theme revived, but on the other hand, I’m just not impressed with the overall result. It’s not for the reason you think though – while I don’t mind having another humans versus monsters theme, something about Phaorah’s Quest seems to scream “boring.”

You know what I think it is? I think it’s that, from a design point, nothing here is really anything different from what we’ve seen in other themes – and in some ways, it almost seems like a step backwards from some of the recent action lines. The treaded vehicle in the Pyramid set is an excellent design: that is not a new, modernized version of an Adventurers’ vehicle, that IS an Adventurer’s vehicle, right down to the one piece seat and simple design. With all the neat design touches in themes like Space Police and Atlantis, the vehicles in this line seem rather simplistic and bare in comparison. In fact, if you took the giant monsters and mummies out, what you’ve have left would fit right in with the Egypt sets we got in 1998.

That’s not to say that revisiting classic themes from the ground up is necessarily a bad move. The problem I have is that it’s lazy, especially when we expect much more sophisticated set designs from modern themes. Again, look at some of the vehicles in Space Police and Atlantis – they blow the water out of anything we got ten years ago, with all their complex functions, greebles, and seamlessly incorporated technic bits. On the other hand, these Pharoah’s Quest sets scream “last millennium,” and I can’t really pick out one neat design technique or function. All the effort seems to have gone into the bad guys, and even then, only really into the new figures and accessories. The brick-built monsters don’t hold a candle to the ones in some of TLC’s previous themes, IMO, and nothing about them makes me want to purchase sets built around them.

So, does anyone else share this view, or am I really just a lone dog howling for his favorite treats? :tongue: