exon_from_youtube

What was your first major City/Town building?

My first LEGO Town building was also part of the Divers subtheme. It was 6441 Deep Reef Refuge. I remember looking through my LEGO Mania Magazine in the summer of '97 and seeing how cool that set looked.

Other buildings I've owned over the years that I consider favorites include:

The 2007 Fire Station (7945)

The City Airport (10159)

Service Station (7993)

Police Headquarters (7744)

...And my most recent favorite...

...Town Plan (10184)

My dad got me this set for my 21st birthday in 2008, and it is the largest LEGO City/Town set I possess. My favorite building in this set is the gas station with car wash and garage bay.

EDIT: Oversized images removed by Moderator -TheBrickster

I can't seem to remember my first major building but looking at some old photo's this is the only building which appears -

6376-1.jpg

I've lost some of the pieces because my mum went through that phase where she throws away all your toys thinking that you are getting too old for them (I was only 5 or 6) and I never put the stickers on so they most likely got lost somewhere. default_cry4.gif

My first set was 6539 Victory Cup Racers which is an awesome set that I still love to have on display (unless I need its parts of course!)

post-11375-129398081718.jpg

Ours was 6636 the Command Post Central. My daughter played with that set heavily through her childhood. We are missing about half the bricks to the set now, so we made a smaller police station out of it. Our first complete set since our new found LEGO love is the 7641 City Corner.

It was 6441 Deep Reef Refuge.

What a great set, but please adhere to our site guidelines of not posting images larger than 800x600. I've replaced your images with links to the images.

So yeah.

Love those classic images. I think I may have an old one of the Brickyard for Christmas. I need to locate. Thanks for sharing.

Love those classic images. Thanks for sharing.

And it's clickable too. :wink:

What a great set, but please adhere to our site guidelines of not posting images larger than 800x600. I've replaced your images with links to the images.

Thanks.

This was my first (or at least the first one I remember), I was 2,5 and my parents thought it was a good idea to move from duplo to LEGO (I didn't mind it at all).

7710.jpg

Date: 5th of December 1981

My first town set was Police Station 6384 and to this day I still love the police sets and just got done recreating a custom MOC Police Station.

Just signed up and came across this old thread. I received police station 6386 for Christmas one year under the tree - did not expect anything this cool to be there for me.

I am now working on some ideas to refresh the model with a bit of an update.

My first buildings were the "Minitalia" ones, but the first proper building was set 361:

361-1.jpg

It was my gift for Christmas 1974. I had lots of fun for many years and I still have a good part of the bricks, even if they are _very_ used...

This thread was resting happily in lala land until revived. I guess you're still on topic and relevant but let's be careful when digging up nearly 5 year old threads please, especially if there is other new threads to discuss.

The thread is timeless in a way, so no need to stop the discussion, just make sure digging up something this old can still have fresh discussion and make sure the first new post really makes the topic bump worthy!

Just signed up and came across this old thread. I received police station 6386 for Christmas one year under the tree - did not expect anything this cool to be there for me.

I am now working on some ideas to refresh the model with a bit of an update.

My suggestion would have been to bump once you were ready to post the updated set idea as well.

Happy New Year posters.

I do not remember any of my older sets. I stopped building right around the time Space Police vs Blacktron changed the police to all white with the Green logo. I do recall lots of little sets for those though. Pirates, castles, etc.

As an adult though the biggest I have so far is the Swamp Police station (just in terms of space occupied and pieces) I hope I can go bigger as my children expand their interest in Lego.

60069-1.jpg?201410060829

The first - and pretty much, only - building I had was the 6380 Emergency Treatment Center from 1987. I had a TON of LEGO in the late 80's - early 90's, but I was mostly a vehicles guy. Nowadays, it's completely switched: I prefer buildings over vehicles with the great modulars.

So, I recently re-bought a lovingly used 6380! Having places like Bricklink really helps to find those great old sets.

http://imgur.com/a/X08Yu

This thread was resting happily in lala land until revived. I guess you're still on topic and relevant but let's be careful when digging up nearly 5 year old threads please, especially if there is other new threads to discuss.

I'm quite happy this thread has been brought back to life. It's a great nostalgic read!

What should new members do if they want to contribute to or discuss an old thread? They weren't here when it was started and starting a new thread to add their input seems illogical?

Cheers

Rog

I'm quite happy this thread has been brought back to life. It's a great nostalgic read!

What should new members do if they want to contribute to or discuss an old thread? They weren't here when it was started and starting a new thread to add their input seems illogical?

Well Rog they should make sure their contribution is worthy of reviving a 5 year old discussion. We don't like bringing back 5 year old threads because it can chill conversation on more recent topics that may be more relevant. They may be commenting on a MOC from 5 years ago where the posting member is not even here any more and bumping more relevant conversations down. Many times we also see the bump is done merely so a member can say "cool MOC" or something similar. We do not want that.

I allowed it because as you said the topic could still relevant and the discussion may still have merit. That doesn't mean the next person to bring back an old thread will be so lucky. As you have said, the member is new, so this also informs the new member (and everyone else) of the policy so they can be sure they won't find themselves reviving many old threads where the discussion is over for a reason.

So again, this means the new member should make sure the discussion is still relevant and their contribution should be good. In this case, I suggested the new member revive the topic when they had the updated old set MOC they were planning to show.

I don't recall my first town set. However, my first bigger town set was this one from the trains sub-theme:

10027-1.jpg

This was set 10027 (Train Shed) from 2003. I later re-made the model with updated features and bigger stalls to allow for 8 wide trains with long tenders. Here is what it looked like back when it was 6 tracks long and 2 tracks wide:

19076298308_7565297a5b_z.jpg

I have since remade the model, by removing a tracks length (16 studs) of shed, making the originally run-though shed closed off at one end, and redoing the roof.

The original model cost $70 (US) from Lego in 2003, and this new version has cost $400 when originally built. (I actually spent quite a bit more than that revising the model and fixing problems with wall strength over the last three years.) The model even has it's own home-made wooden carrying case to get it to train shows....