Hi everyone,

I've been working on a project in LDD for a while now and one major problem has been bugging me. The building that I am working on has a large portion of brick-built lettering. I already have the lettering done following the Fire Brigade standards since it proved to be the easiest method, but LDD just would not let me condense the lettering. There are small gaps in the lettering that when expanded over many iterations (again, it is a large, long portion of text), it amounts to one whole stud in length. That presents a problem when implementing the text into the building.

If anybody can help in getting rid of the gaps, that would be absolutely wonderful. You can find the file at this link. Notice the lack of actual lettering, since I camouflaged it. For it's not what the project is that matters, its the darn gaps that matter...default_sceptic.gif

If anybody is willing to put their LDD skills to work, I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to get this project up and running again and looking complete with the proper lettering! default_classic.gif

iterations (again, it is a large, long portion of text), it amounts to one whole stud in length. That presents a problem when implementing the text into the building.

Well, it seems you've bumped into some bug in the 4081 brick (1x1 plate with closed loop on the side). A work-around would be to replace 4081 with a 6019 or 61252 (1x1 plate with clip on side).

Note also that there is a small height difference (blue arrow in picture below) that should be eliminated too. Maybe someone else here on the forum can help do that.

EDIT: Hm, on second thought - it may not be a brick bug in that sense but more the "discreet jump" problem we've seen before?

post-4755-129086217781.jpg

After going back and using 1x1 clips instead, the same issue still arises. Now I have tried using Private Lego's idea of completely abolishing the use of clips because LDD seems to have a lot of trouble with clips whenever they are concerned. I'm happy to say, the progress is going great. but one minor issue lingers.

The lettering has an "N" in it. Do any of the master SNOT builders here know how to build a brick-built "N"? I have tried the method shown here, but it's not as streamlined as I want it to be. I have also tried the method with 1x1 cheese slopes, but I am having a hard time getting rid of the gaps. Any ideas?

After going back and using 1x1 clips instead, the same issue still arises. Now I have tried using Private Lego's idea of completely abolishing the use of clips because LDD seems to have a lot of trouble with clips whenever they are concerned. I'm happy to say, the progress is going great. but one minor issue lingers.

The lettering has an "N" in it. Do any of the master SNOT builders here know how to build a brick-built "N"? I have tried the method shown here, but it's not as streamlined as I want it to be. I have also tried the method with 1x1 cheese slopes, but I am having a hard time getting rid of the gaps. Any ideas?

All the letters with diagonal lines are very hard to make.

You must choose between slopes (and gaps) or not smooth.

Also I sure it is impossible to build the angled tile in the middle in LDD.

The best solution is make names without a N or M :laugh:

This is a really great topic. What about expanding it to become a collection of LEGO fonts. I'll go first with these three, which are all "studs up / top view". In two of them I've used the macaroni, and in the third the new 87620 BRICK 2x2 W ANGLE 45 DEGREES. Also as you can see, there is some cheating (using a jumperplate or two).

If you have some improvements on any of these fonts, by all means, mod away!

LXF

LegoLettering.png

Also I sure it is impossible to build the angled tile in the middle in LDD.

Maybe that should be the next LDD challenge. default_tong.gif We seemed to have abruptly stopped having those...

Back on topic: Superkalle, I think it is a great idea to expand this topic to LEGO fonts in general. As we speak, I'm actually trying a hybrid method by combining the sleekness of the 1x1 cheese-slope "N" with no gaps from the brick-built "N."

For far, I've probably gone through at least 4 versions of the same lettering. Hopefully, this final version will give me what I need. I'll be sure to chronicle them here in a few days to help out other builders with the same problem.

After a lot of trial and error (and a little bit of frustration default_blush.gif), the end result is this:

Modular%20Lettering%20V1%20Screenshot.jpg?psid=1

[Click for download link.]

But here are some things you should be aware of before using the system:

Firstly, please read the included Modular Lettering V1 Rules.txt file to familiarize yourself with the system and how it works and connects.

Secondly, the file is protected with a password. The password is "eurobricks.mlb" without quotes.

Thirdly, there are exceptions (of course). The exceptions that have come to my attention when using it has been included in a .txt file in the downloadable .zip file. If there are other exceptions that you come up with, feel free to make it known in this thread!

Lastly, remember that credit should be given where credit is due. Likewise, I have included all of the resources that I used when constructing the system. If you would like to receive credit, please feel free to mention it in this thread or PM me.

Thanks and enjoy! default_satisfied.gif

Do you have a .lxf file with part or all of the cheese slopes method already built? I'm having a hard time deducing the SNOT layout the author of that image is using.

It ought to be possible to put in the tile so that it sits between the cheese slopes the same way it does in the image you referenced. I've a number of ways I could try to get that in there that might actually be legal to use as far as LDD is concerned.

Do you have a .lxf file with part or all of the cheese slopes method already built? I'm having a hard time deducing the SNOT layout the author of that image is using.

It ought to be possible to put in the tile so that it sits between the cheese slopes the same way it does in the image you referenced. I've a number of ways I could try to get that in there that might actually be legal to use as far as LDD is concerned.

I don't believe the cheese-slope method uses any tiles. The slopes create the diagonal. See the post above for a .lxf file to a modular alphabet contained in it the "N" cheese slope method. For reference, here's the link again: http://cid-c55c2a3e1...tering%20V1.zip with password "eurobricks.mlb" (without quotes).

The picture of the 'N' Mr. Lego builder linked to is mine.

2981270906_a577f811eb.jpg

brick-built letters (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

There is no tile in the 'N'. It's all built with cheese slopes. The diagonal is made with two red cheese slopes. I suspect that if there are troubles recreating it in LDD those have to do with the way it deals with the grid (aka the discrete jump problem) or connections between the elements. When built with actual bricks there are very few gaps. It all fits very nicely. The height of two cheese slopes stacked on top of each other is the same as the width of a 1x1 brick/plate.

Coming up with a standard design for the SNOT work needed to keep the parts in place makes little sense to me. There are various different ways of building it, depending on whether or not the center of the letter lines up with studs on the top or bottom, which depends on the combined widths of all the other letters to the left and right of it. If it does, a 1x1 technic brick, two 2x2 corner plates and four cheese slopes is all you need. If it doesn't- as is the case for both of the letters N on my 'off licence'- the vertical parts of the letter have to be held on by a structure to the left and right of the letter. As it happens, I used different solutions for the two letters N on the building. This is one of those things that really isn't all that hard once you've done it once :grin:

By the way, I have to commend you guys for actually trying to do this sort of stuff in CAD. :thumbup:

I can only make these by fiddling around with actual bricks. I don't use LDD and don't have the actual model handy, but I'll see whether I can whip something together in MLCad later today.

Cheers,

Ralph

I've spent a few minutes making an image of how you can make a N like I did.

5251522282_cd886a8a0c.jpg

letter N by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I hope it is obvious that if the stud of the 1x1 technic brick doesn't line up with whatever sits on top or the bottom of this, the letter will have to be held in place from the side.

Cheers,

Ralph

The picture of the 'N' Mr. Lego builder linked to is mine.

Cheers,

Ralph

Which is why I credited you properly for it in the .txt. default_blink.gif Your work with intricate design (letters, vehicles, buildings, etc.) is simply superb!

5251522282_cd886a8a0c.jpg

letter N by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I hope it is obvious that if the stud of the 1x1 technic brick doesn't line up with whatever sits on top or the bottom of this, the letter will have to be held in place from the side.

This is by far the easiest method of implementing this technique, but LDD forced me to reconsider. Like you said, in LDD, the use of the 1x1 Technic brick means nothing can be attached to the top or bottom. This will leave gaps that have tried to fill up using a variety of means (all of which looked too awkward.)

As a consequence, the alphabet is overly complicated to make up for the "legality" of the build.

Which is why I credited you properly for it in the .txt. default_blink.gif Your work with intricate design (letters, vehicles, buildings, etc.) is simply superb!

Thank you.

This is by far the easiest method of implementing this technique, but LDD forced me to reconsider. Like you said, in LDD, the use of the 1x1 Technic brick means nothing can be attached to the top or bottom. This will leave gaps that have tried to fill up using a variety of means (all of which looked too awkward.)

As a consequence, the alphabet is overly complicated to make up for the "legality" of the build.

The 1x1 technic brick as well as its counterpart (brick 1x1 with studs on two sides) are ideally suited for making letters.

If you are forced to use headlight bricks for all the SNOT work, things become orders of magnitude more complicated -one more reason why if I do use CAD, I'll stick to LDraw (but that's a different discussion). If you're not stressing the elements, you're not trying hard enough. :laugh:

Cheers,

Ralph

I could not get the download file that I need lettering for LDD due to I lost the file few years ago.

that show click for download file above

Edited by zombies113344

@Superkalle can you upload the LXF file again? The link seems to be broken. Thanks.

This is a really great topic. What about expanding it to become a collection of LEGO fonts. I'll go first with these three, which are all "studs up / top view". In two of them I've used the macaroni, and in the third the new 87620 BRICK 2x2 W ANGLE 45 DEGREES. Also as you can see, there is some cheating (using a jumperplate or two).

If you have some improvements on any of these fonts, by all means, mod away!

LXF