I was in a lego store a few months ago with my brother and parents; and we were talking to this employee; and my dad asked him

"Excuse me- why are there no NXT's here?"

"they stopped making them 2 days ago" (it must have been a few months since then)

"why?"

"they're replacing them with the new 3.0."

"that's odd.. since they only had been out for a few years and RCX had been out for much longer"

(we had done the FLL for a few years)

So- i thought that was interesting- and wondered if any of you knew anything about it?

With warm bricks in my heart,

MATT

PS: happy thanksgiving to all you Americans!

I was in a lego store a few months ago with my brother and parents; and we were talking to this employee; and my dad asked him

"Excuse me- why are there no NXT's here?"

"they stopped making them 2 days ago" (it must have been a few months since then)

"why?"

"they're replacing them with the new 3.0."

"that's odd.. since they only had been out for a few years and RCX had been out for much longer"

(we had done the FLL for a few years)

So- i thought that was interesting- and wondered if any of you knew anything about it?

With warm bricks in my heart,

MATT

PS: happy thanksgiving to all you Americans!

Hi,

I actually heard similar things, i.e. that they aren't shipping any NXT boxes to the stores, but the reason was different:

"They decided to start selling them directly off their online store"

This was from a LEGO employee at a USA (Philadelphia) store.

I don't think NXT 3.0 is coming out, NXT 2.0 is quite "new" and they would probably wait for FLL to end (end of March) before announcing a new model - as it might create confusion and problems for the judges - assuming NXT 3.0 is better than NXT 2.0 (otherwise why release it?)

Thanks,

Noam

Hi,

I actually heard similar things, i.e. that they aren't shipping any NXT boxes to the stores, but the reason was different:

I don't think NXT 3.0 is coming out, NXT 2.0 is quite "new" and they would probably wait for FLL to end (end of March) before announcing a new model - as it might create confusion and problems for the judges - assuming NXT 3.0 is better than NXT 2.0 (otherwise why release it?)

Thanks,

Noam

Interesting you've herd similar things- only selling them on S@H could be a nightmare for some newer FLL chapters...

Wonder if they'll have like when the NXT first came out- you can use it until the end of the year- and then you can never use it again?

Have not heard a thing since then- so IDK what to believe LOL

MATT

Interesting you've herd similar things- only selling them on S@H could be a nightmare for some newer FLL chapters...

Wonder if they'll have like when the NXT first came out- you can use it until the end of the year- and then you can never use it again?

Have not heard a thing since then- so IDK what to believe LOL

MATT

Actually you can get it elsewhere, not just S@H, you can find it online stores (amazon, target, etc) as well as other toy stores which sell them.

Apparently the only place you can't find it is in the Retail-LEGO store :)

Thanks,

Noam

Hi,

Thanks,

Noam

The FLL doesn't use the 2.0 but the 1! I heard rumors of a new educational version however (by reliable sources).

The FLL doesn't use the 2.0 but the 1! I heard rumors of a new educational version however (by reliable sources).

Hi,

As a mentor in FLL, we use the latest NXT, further, this year they introduced a new sensor (color sensor) which wasn't allowed before.

Where did you get your information that they use NXT 1.0?

The rules state that you can use RCX or NXT, but doesn't state the version, so you can use whichever version you want as long as it is not "hacked" (i.e. custom firmware)

Thanks,

Noam

Hi,

As a mentor in FLL, we use the latest NXT, further, this year they introduced a new sensor (color sensor) which wasn't allowed before.

Where did you get your information that they use NXT 1.0?

The rules state that you can use RCX or NXT, but doesn't state the version, so you can use whichever version you want as long as it is not "hacked" (i.e. custom firmware)

Thanks,

Noam

Hi Noam,

maybe you guys know all this already, just want to point out:

The NXT PBricks 1.0 and 2.0 are harware-wise identical - at least to the extent when they are running the same firmware. The same holds true for RCX PBricks. If you have an RCX 1.0 - congratulations - this one has the AC/DC power in plug. But the 1.5 and 2.0 RCX types do behave exactly the same as 1.0 when you are running the same firmware on all of them.

The same holds true for the NXT PBricks.

If another sensor is allowed then either the firmware was supporting this sensor in the first place or maybe the firmware version needed to be changed as well, I don't know anything about FLL.

Good luck + best wishes,

Thorsten

The rumors for a new NXT/Minstorms thicken. I have even read something about a 2013 release. Really hope those rumors are true!