• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

copy_of_img_1445.jpg

Today I'll be reviewing a small World Racers set. I bought this set at Target for a reasonable price. It was sitting right next to the collectible minifigures. When I initially bought this set I thought that it would have a crappy buggy but it turns out that the buggy was cooler than I thought.

Name: World Race Buggy

Set Number:

Pieces: 31

Price: $2.99

Ages: 6-12

Minifigs: 1

Theme: World Racers

Year of Release: 2010

Here's the Brickshelf gallery

The Review:

Bag:

img_1427.jpg

Front of the bag. Some nice art of the Buggy in the desert and that cool logo of the world with a race track on it which I think is quite nice for this kind of set.

img_1428.jpg

Back of the bag. A basic safety warning and art telling us that this is race 8. Much like the Power Miners sets these are numbered.

Parts:

img_1431.jpg

Everything fresh out of the bag. They're still nice and shiny! Though they won't stay that way long as I’ll touch every single square inch of them by the time I’m done.

img_1440.jpg

Here's a nice parts layout for you. Those curves are always nice to get and I was a bit surprised that there was no engine piece. More on that later.

Manual:

img_1433.jpg

Front page. It has the same art as the bag and what I think is a new Lego magazine add. It also has a Lego service add.

img_1434.jpg

Back of the instructions. Not really much new here. A simple twelve step instruction manual with no art in the upper right hand corner of the right page like the Harry potter and Star Wars sets.

The Build:

Minifigure:

img_1435.jpg

First off you build the minifigure. This guy is the reason I got this. The awesome new tattered/flaming shirt is really cool. I think I'll try using the torso with some of the agent stickers.

img_1436.jpg

The back of the minifigure has the cool flaming scull logo. The back of the head doesn't have the mouth cover but a cool grimacing face that reminds me of Wolverine's.

img_1442.jpg

Not anything really new or interesting but I made a picture at step six just the same. It uses some of these parts which are some of my favorite parts. Because they can turn corners so well in tight spots.

Complete Model:

img_1448.jpg

Front view. Not super aerodynamic but still has some neat curves. I would not be driving this at all. I would like to see some headlights here.

img_1447.jpg

Side view. It slopes forward a bit like I would expect a buggy to be.

img_1449.jpg

Back view. I would like to have seen some more of an engine back here instead we got a headlight piece which is a little odd in my book but nothing new for Lego.

img_1450.jpg

Top view.

img_1451.jpg

Flag. Nothing super special here. Though the round piece on the bottom is always nice to get more of. On the bag art the round part had a black dot on it. When I got the part out I figured that it was just a misprint.

img_1445a.jpg

Complete set. A nice flag for other kids to make a finish line with.

Final Thoughts:

Ratings:

Playability: 10/10 Very easily compatible with the other World Racers sets. I’d combine this with 8896 for some more fun.

Design: 5/10 I was rather surprised that there were no extra parts. Some more detail in the buggy would have been nice but at this small scale it might have been a little small.

Price: 10/10 Great Price Per Piece ratio. Another reason I got it because it was such a good deal.

Overall: 25/30 I'd recommend this set for anyone wanting the Minifigure. Or as a stocking stuffer.

img_1452.jpg

"I hate when I forget to put on the parking brake!"

Pretty neat review MB, it's really nice to see reviews of some of the less-popular sets like this one, I would have not known this existed until I read this review. default_classic.gif I like the duel-printed minifig torso on this one.

BTW, I think the overall score should be 25/30, not 25/40. default_blink.gif

Edited by KielDaMan

Love this promotional polybag. I am a fan of these rare polybags as it is very uncommon. Definitely a nice cute little buggy.

Not sure how the academy missed that but I've fixed it now. Thanks.

So, you are telling us that we are giving you some slack? Maybe, we should be tough on your next review. :devil:

:tongue:

Great review! I like this set a lot. I like the SNOT shape, but I think it could benefit from an engine. This set's a nice one to keep on your desk when you're bored, and take it apart when you're bored of it. :devil:

:grin::thumbup:

Thanks guys! It was very fun to review.

So, you are telling us that we are giving you some slack? Maybe, we should be tough on your next review. :devil:

:tongue:

:laugh: No not really. I was just surprised that you missed it.

Thanks guys! It was very fun to review.

I wouldn't say I missed it necessarily, more like left it for you to discover :laugh:

Seriously though, I'll be watching you like a hawk with night vision.

Math is power.

Great review too, Congrats on bronze! Am I late on that?

Nice review, MAsked Builder. I love these impulse sets. Mostly because they fit into my budget.

The buggy has a nice shape to it. I really like the torso, though. Perfect if one were to assemble a biker gang.

Wouldn't have happened if I were grading. :hmpf_bad:

Just kidding, I would have missed it, too.

Very nice review of a neat little set; the buggy has a very Mad Max feel that a few of the other World Race sets have.

Edited by Mariko