Superkalle

Troubleshooting guide - LDD startup and advanced graphics problems

No luck, even after updating all my software.

Kind of annoying.

e: haha wow, I'm stupid. Had the application in another folder so apparently it was trying to install over that one. Probably couldn't read the right directories as a result. Deleted the old one and the new one works fine now.

Edited by Bfahome

I'm having a similar problem to several people in that my ldd.exe process is starting, but no windows are coming up. I can see the process in the task manager, but nothing else.

I have checked for the latest drivers, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled etc, and still coming up with nothing.

I think I have followed all of the steps in this thread (including modifying the preferences.ini), and still the same thing. I installed on a WinXP virtual machine (in VMware Player), and it is working (although very slow as would be expected).

Below is some info from dxdiag.exe that may assist anyone who knows more than me (this is cut right down, let me know if you need more info):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/2/2012, 12:24:46
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
	Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
	System Model: 4298CTO
	BIOS: Default System BIOS
	Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
	Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
	Page File: 3012MB used, 13143MB available
	Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
	DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
	Display Tab 1: No problems found.
	Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
	Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
	Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
	Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
	Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DoctorGL also gave me this info:

Video Card Vendor:	Intel
Renderer: 	Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
OpenGL Version: 	3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2538
GLU Version: 	1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

The main thing that may be an issue is I'm running 64-bit windows, but there appear to be plenty of others that can get it to load with out an issue. This is the first time I have tried to install it, so there are no previous installed.

If anyone has any ideas at all that would be very much appreciated - I've spent ages on this and it is driving me nuts! If you need any other info, please also let me know.

Thank you very much!

Identical problem here with all versions of LDD (include the last 4.2.5). I click in the icon and LDD process run and then dissapear. No windows popup.

I think that isn't a hardware problem. I have another hardware than you (graphics nvidia Gforce 9600 GT with lastest drivers.) Motherboard ASUS. Processor AMD .....etc. Windows 7 32 bit...

One year! later i don't found a solution for this problem. All my "3d" applications and games works without problems like a rock!

Please help!!!!!

Thank you very much and sorry for my english (spanish man)

Identical problem here with all versions of LDD (include the last 4.2.5). I click in the icon and LDD process run and then dissapear. No windows popup.

I think that isn't a hardware problem. I have another hardware than you (graphics nvidia Gforce 9600 GT with lastest drivers.) Motherboard ASUS. Processor AMD .....etc. Windows 7 32 bit...

One year! later i don't found a solution for this problem. All my "3d" applications and games works without problems like a rock!

Please help!!!!!

Thank you very much and sorry for my english (spanish man)

These errors are always so hard to track down, but in most the cases, it's due the graphics drivers and/or graphics card. There really isn't much in LDD otherwise that is very complicated or could cause exceptions.

About this issue. First question: Have you followed all the steps in the first post in this topic, including updating drivers AND DirectX drivers, setting LDD to safe mode and doing a complete re-install?

Please verify that you have done all this to the letter.

If that doesn't work - Have you tried to install an older version of LDD. Like 2.4 or 3.1?

Please report in this topic when you've tried all of the above. (The same goes for Sillyfrog)

These errors are always so hard to track down, but in most the cases, it's due the graphics drivers and/or graphics card. There really isn't much in LDD otherwise that is very complicated or could cause exceptions.

I know it. It's very difficult to track. One year ago I install LDD 4 and nothing sugested here work.

In this forum and in the LEGO LDD forum there are many guys with identical problem but nothing work.

About this issue. First question: Have you followed all the steps in the first post in this topic, including updating drivers AND DirectX drivers, setting LDD to safe mode and doing a complete re-install?

Of course. I did all that twenty times without luck. Last nvidia drivers (285.62, with previews versions--> same thing). DirectX 11. OpenGL 3.3.0. Few months ago I download from this forum a "debug" version of LDD4 that write a log file in the startup of the program. I lost that file but i remember that this log stop when was loading something in relation with the sound. I have a soundblaster XFI with the lastest drivers.

Always the same thing. I can see the LDD.exe in the task manager during 5-10 seconds and then disappear without any error message and without any window popup.

If that doesn't work - Have you tried to install an older version of LDD. Like 2.4 or 3.1?

I dont know where i can found this older versions.

Thank you very much for your interest Superkalle.

This is my dxdiag file:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 1/22/2012, 20:41:38

Machine name: RAFA-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111025-1505)

Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM

Page File: 1599MB used, 5563MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_82A21043&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2032 MB

Dedicated Memory: 497 MB

Shared Memory: 1535 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: SyncMaster T220/T220G,SyncMaster Magic T220/T220G(Digital)

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM03E5

Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.8562 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.8562

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/15/2011 09:53:00, 13205312 bytes

Edited by Rach

log file in the startup of the program. I lost that file but i remember that this log stop when was loading something in relation with the sound. I have a soundblaster XFI with the lastest drivers.

Long shot: can you try to add "PLAYSOUND=no" to your preferences.ini file?

Long shot: can you try to add "PLAYSOUND=no" to your preferences.ini file?

Well. There is a proble here. The program generate the preferences.ini file in the startup (in the user/appdata/roaming....). But how the LDD.exe crash in the startup my preferences.ini file is very simple (is broken or trunked)

This is my preferences.ini file:

language=en
ApplicationID=4ba67fcd-8187-4986-ac15-3c845c1db5b5

And no more

If I edit it and add PLAYSOUND=no. Identical result. Don't startup.

:(

Edited by Rach

language=en

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow. Is that all that's in the file? Sorry if I'm being dumb here, but this is what the file should look like. What if you add this and start. Still crash?

language=en
UseShadersInScene=no
UseShadersInPalette=no
CompatibilityModeLevel=100
UseRoundEdges=no

Is this the preference.ini file in the user directory?

(in win7: C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\preferences.ini)

Is this the preference.ini file in the user directory?

(in win7: C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\preferences.ini)

Yes, in the user/appdata/roaming etc.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow. Is that all that's in the file? Sorry if I'm being dumb here, but this is what the file should look like. What if you add this and start. Still crash?

I know. Because i have LDD intalled in my netbook without problems and I look the prefernces.ini and look like your file paste here.

If i add this and start......CRASH. No difference

:(

hi all

i installed the latest LDD on an old computer with windows vista, i liked it a lot and decided it to install it on my 3D workstation which still runs on windows xp x64, but i can't get it to run

the problem might have been described again

i run the program, it begins loading, completes 'initializing','checking for patches' and while on 'installing bricks' and after some time it crashes without any messages

the DCLtrace.txt file reads as following:

'Elapsed(55705) Caught exception, stack trace saved at '[filelocation].mdmp'. The application will close now.'

i have uninstalled, reinstalled it, changed the useshaders values in the preferences.ini file, tried the safe mode, installed the latest vga drivers (actually in reverse order)

i haven't updated anything other than the vga driver, is there anything else i should update software-side?

another thing is that the vga is a quadro fx series card and taht often brings up compatibility issues or even problems with the special quadro settings, but i have no indications that this is the problem here

any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time

hi all

i installed the latest LDD on an old computer with windows vista, i liked it a lot and decided it to install it on my 3D workstation which still runs on windows xp x64, but i can't get it to run

the problem might have been described again

i run the program, it begins loading, completes 'initializing','checking for patches' and while on 'installing bricks' and after some time it crashes without any messages

the DCLtrace.txt file reads as following:

'Elapsed(55705) Caught exception, stack trace saved at '[filelocation].mdmp'. The application will close now.'

i have uninstalled, reinstalled it, changed the useshaders values in the preferences.ini file, tried the safe mode, installed the latest vga drivers (actually in reverse order)

i haven't updated anything other than the vga driver, is there anything else i should update software-side?

another thing is that the vga is a quadro fx series card and taht often brings up compatibility issues or even problems with the special quadro settings, but i have no indications that this is the problem here

any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time

Best regards

funny thing, while i was reading your reply i was already trying that and by the moment i finished reading ldd had finally opened..

you see this workstation doesn't connect to the Internet until some software is loaded first and in the meanwhile i had already double clicked ldd and selected the offline option just to see if it had anything to do with the problem

it takes long time to load though, as i said internet software was initialized, i opened the browser, visited the forum and read your post before lld opened

unfortunately it's still useless since i can't load any scenes/models, even those i save on this ldd/pc, the message is:

'Cannot load LDD assets Try reinstall LDD. See the read me file for help, or go to http://ldd.lego.com/support/'

i 'll try to find out what this new problem is but there is a good chance it still needs to load something from the internet, which means it's the original problem and just by cutting it out you don't get rid of it

anyway thnx a lot, even though i found out myself, you nailed it

Edited by thesmotis

ok it seems all the problems have been solved, hopefully and fortunately

- long loading

it's gone, now the application opens almost instantly whether it is in compatibility mode or not

- file openning

the problem persists but i found a workaround

ldd gives an error message when i double click an .lxf file in windows or when i use file>open

but importing the very same scenes/models seems to be working fine and quite strangely opening files through the recent file list in ldd's welcome window is working as well

- performance problem

i had a huge performance problem in the view panel (low fps)

this was only happening in compatibility/safe mode

i have no issues in normal mode now

im going to install ldd on my new systems as well, mostly on windows 7 (my workstation still has xp) so i'll keep an eye in case i can help debugging this thing

i guess we shouldn't expect much in software development from a game manufacturer initiative, it makes sense

- performance problem

i had a huge performance problem in the view panel (low fps)

this was only happening in compatibility/safe mode

i have no issues in normal mode now

That's natural. :wink:

In compatibility mode the software don't fully use the video card in order to ensure compatibility.

I have the same problem, and indeed could use the same solution (using windows XP). But this seems not really a real solution at all, obviously, since it'll now just run in "offline"mode.

Is there anything that can be done to really fix this, so LDD can start and run as it should?

I have a quick question. Hopefully I am not repeating a previous question, but I read through this troubleshooting forum and didn't see this problem described anywhere.

Is there an issue with the most recent version of LDD that causes severe lag? It doesn't seem to matter if I am working with 5 bricks or 5,000. It doesn't happen all the time; I notice it most frequently when I am trying to drag a brick from the palette to the workspace. Closing the brick palette seems to get rid of the lag, but it is annoying to have to keep closing and reopening it. I also notice the lag when I am using the color palette sometimes.

I have reduced all the video settings to provide the least strain on my computer, but that shouldn't be a problem because my computer is plenty powerful and my drivers are all up to date. I'm just wondering if others have experienced this problem as well.

Please verify that you have done all this to the letter.

Please report in this topic when you've tried all of the above. (The same goes for Sillyfrog)

I am experiencing the same issue as reported by "Rach" and "sillyfrog",

trying to run LDD 4.2.5. After clicking the LDD icon on the desktop,

nothing happens. The Windows Task Manager shows a LDD.exe process

is running but consuming no CPU. Waiting for an extended period of

time does not make any difference.

I am including as much information as possible here, hoping that something

might ring a bell with someone. Please feel free to ask for more information.

I really like this program and would love to get it to work on this computer.

The computer is a Lenovo T520 (model 4239CTO) runing Windows 7 (x64).

It has two graphics processors:

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 in chipset, Driver version 8.15.10.2538

- NVIDIA NVS 4200M, driver version 285.62

The OS can switch between the two graphics processors (NVIDIA optimus

technology) and a specific processor can be attached to an application.

Things I have tried (all with the same outcome as described above):

- Start LDD with NVIDIA graphics processor

- Start LDD with Intel graphics

- Start LDD in safe mode with NVIDIA graphics processor

- Start LDD in safe mode with Intel graphics

- Disable NVIDIA graphics processor in BIOS (completely disables it

and makes it invisible to the OS, only Intel graphics are active)

and start LDD in safe mode

- Disable Intel graphics processor in BIOS (only NVIDIA graphics are

visible to OS) and start LDD in safe mode

- Followed the instructions about startup problems in this forum

- Followed the suggestions given to "Rach"

- Tried LDD versions 4.1.8 and 3.1.3 (can't find 2.x to download anwhere)

Other observations/notes:

- LDD 4.2.5 was the first LDD version I tried to install on this computer.

- other OpenGL programs work fine

- My preferences.ini file is the same as the one reported by Rach

(contains only "language" and "ApplicationID" settings)

- Copying the LDDQA.exe program that I found a few weeks before on

this forum (but I can't find it anymore) into the LDD program folder

and starting it produces the attached DCLTrace.txt. I included

DCLTrace.txt files with the "Shaders" settings enabled and disabled.

- When running the installer, one of the screens is the "System

requirements check". After clicking "Next" on that screen it

takes about half a second to get to the next screen. That seems

short, given that the description says "This may take some time".

Also, the Readme file says "If the Requirements Checker pops up when

you launch installation, it indicates that your computer does not

fulfill the requirements for running LEGO Digital Designer".

So does the fact that this screen comes up at all already mean that

the installer has detected a problem with the computer's hardware?

- If I leave the "Run Lego Digital Designer" box at the end of the

installer checked and then also start LDD via the Desktop shortcut,

I get an error message saying "Cannot load assets". The Task Manager

shows two LDD.exe processes.

After killing both processes, I get the same behavior as before.

I am experiencing the same issue as reported by "Rach" and "sillyfrog",

trying to run LDD 4.2.5. After clicking the LDD icon on the desktop,

nothing happens. The Windows Task Manager shows a LDD.exe process

is running but consuming no CPU. Waiting for an extended period of

time does not make any difference.

I am including as much information as possible here, hoping that something

might ring a bell with someone. Please feel free to ask for more information.

I really like this program and would love to get it to work on this computer.

The computer is a Lenovo T520 (model 4239CTO) runing Windows 7 (x64).

It has two graphics processors:

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 in chipset, Driver version 8.15.10.2538

- NVIDIA NVS 4200M, driver version 285.62

The OS can switch between the two graphics processors (NVIDIA optimus

technology) and a specific processor can be attached to an application.

Hi! I am a beginner and I am also facing to the same problem. Please help!

My computer is a Lenovo T420s runing Windows 7 (x64).

I've been getting this error when starting up LDD since yesterday afternoon or thereabouts. Yesterday it was while on lunch at my office, right now it's while home, so it's not an error only on one internet connection.

LDD_Brick_Download_server_error.png

Anyone else? It's disconcerting, hopefully it's just a glitch and not a sign that LDD is being downgraded in importance.

I've been having the same problem. Seems like the LEGO server it is trying to reach is down, and LEGO doesn't seem to be aware of it since it's been down for a day or so now.

I've been getting this error when starting up LDD since yesterday afternoon or thereabouts. Yesterday it was while on lunch at my office, right now it's while home, so it's not an error only on one internet connection.

Anyone else? It's disconcerting, hopefully it's just a glitch and not a sign that LDD is being downgraded in importance.

I've been having the same problem. Seems like the LEGO server it is trying to reach is down, and LEGO doesn't seem to be aware of it since it's been down for a day or so now.

I have also been noticing the same problem since yesturday. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully LEGO is now aware of the problem and gets it solved quickly.

Sal

WFB, WI

Just tried it; I get the same error, and I was using LDD two days ago without a problem.