Sign in to follow this  
def

Anyone want 1000 LBs of LEGO?

Wow, that's about $40 per kilo - very expensive. Buying from Europe/UK on ebay, €10 per kilo is usual if bulk buying say in the region of 5-10kg (€50-€100). It is more in the case of higher demand or newer parts and perhaps less for listings that don't get as much attention.

So no, I don't think you'll find a reseller buying this either!

Also bear in mind, the price per kilo would drop as you increase the amount, because the potential market also decreases.

Wow, Someone lost a bet.

I bet he doesn't want to sell, and I can't imagine anyone forking out $20,000 for a lot of LEGO. Are AFOL's that rich?

If I bought that, were it still available and I had that kind of money, I'd take a week off from work and put as many sets together as I could. I'd probably have to resort it to fit my needs anyway.

Now that I think about it, I'd have to stop time just to go through the minfigs. I think my brain would pop. My collection now has to be somewhere in the low thousands and I hardly have room for that!

I bet he doesn't want to sell

From the auction description: "On a side note, this does not mean I am desperate, so I will just put it in storage if it does not meet my price." Sounds like he's moving overseas and can't take it with him. So he doesn't WANT to sell, but he's not desperate for the money.

and I can't imagine anyone forking out $20,000 for a lot of LEGO. Are AFOL's that rich?

There are plenty of AFOLs that I'm sure could afford it if they wanted to. But most that COULD afford it already HAVE plenty of LEGO and aren't looking for a big random pile of stuff. If they're going to spend $20,000, they're going to buy the specific things that they want.

One candidate I could think of would be BrickLink sellers. If I were a professional BrickLink seller, I could see buying the lot-- although probably not for $20,000. I could see $10,000 ... maybe. There's a lot of nice stuff, and I'm sure that 15% of the pieces or so would sell VERY quickly for a good $5,000+. But the REMAINING pieces really aren't much of a draw for buyers. More white slopes? Blue plates? Meh.

FWIW, if it's 1000 lbs of LEGO, the ~typical~ weight of LEGO per pound is about 300-500 pieces per pound, I believe. I recall doing some research with BrickLink weights and getting that your average system sets were about 350 per pound, with technic sets being a bit more. So it's likely in the ballpark of 350,000 pieces, which would be $.057 per piece. That's a decent price, but again, it's a lot to spend at once.

Really, I think the likely target market might be a group of AFOLs that pool their money together and do a draft. If you got 20 or so local AFOLs together, each spending $1000, each person would walk away with about 17500 pieces, which isn't too bad. It's not great, but it's not terrible. Our group actually did this recently with maybe a 150k piece collection or so, but we spent a lot less. Granted, it was a lot less sorted, and had a chunk of yellowed and some used elements. Anyway, I could *maybe* see that happening.

DaveE

Wow, Someone lost a bet.

I bet he doesn't want to sell, and I can't imagine anyone forking out $20,000 for a lot of LEGO. Are AFOL's that rich?

Well if Brad Pitt was more into classic LEGO than AFOL architecture sets, then maybe.

Edited by vexorian

Mine is at least in the 100k piece range or higher. I dont know exactly, because I tire out at around 50k usually.... and last time I did my brick census, that was bout half....