Sign in to follow this  
Solscud007

Review: Poor Man's Gold Chrome C3-PO

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Has this been seen before? As I have only started getting into Lego SW in the past few months, I am not abreast with some of the auxiliary merchandise that exist in the past.

I was at TRU picking up the Toy Story 3 train set for 20% off. I was walking in the lego section and saw this pen on the rack. It has a Gold Chrome C3PO!!!! Hurray!!!!

Then I got home and opened it. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the china made lego figures. This is my first hands on experience.

As I dont have a Gold Chrome C3PO this is a great stand in. The pen was only $4.99 and you get two minifigs. Gold Chrome C3PO and a Chrome Jango Fett.

I have tried swapping poseable feet but they are not swappable. The head is swappable as well as the feet and hands. Also the head is not on a post but rather a lego peg. As you can see, the head has a peg on it.

I forgot to take a picture but Pen C3PO's back does not have any printing. Only the front of the torso has the C3PO printing.

dsc3375.jpg

Here is my hand at Smokebelch style photography.

dsc3388c.jpg

dsc3389.jpg

dsc3390.jpg

dsc3391.jpg

Very interesting find Solscud! Thanks for sharing! It's actually the first time I've seen this. Your title perfectly describes this C-3PO - almost "Chrome", but not quite - truly a 'Poor Man's' Gold Chrome C-3PO. Now how I wish (in my wildest dreams) TLG would release gold chrome 3PO as a regular fig in sets. :sweet:

Nice find, I knew about the Jango but not 3PO. But, gosh, that body is terrible deformed! :sick: Honestly, I'd rather pay $150 than get this kind of quality. There is a BL seller, ChromeBricks, who sell true 3PO heads chromed with gold, but last I checked you have to get your own body and then apply decals.

EDIT: Jumped on the bandwagon and added a 'Sick' emoticon to my post. :laugh:

Edited by Brickdoctor

Beh :sick: I made a review on a C-3PO pen just like that, I saw that it was gold and thought "wow I'll have to get this for the minifig" And its not a minifigure at all! :oh3:

:sick:

At least you get a nice pen, and if you're making a big diorama, you can use this as C3PO, hiding in the back somewhere where no one can make out he's not a fig :tongue:

Definitely a good way to get one as a stand in of him cheap. But I'm not a fan of those legs. :sick:

Edited by Masked Builder

I have to saw they don't look to good, although the Jango is slightly better they both are not my type. Do regular legs fit them?

Thanks for the review.

I have to saw they don't look to good, although the Jango is slightly better they both are not my type. Do regular legs fit them?

Thanks for the review.

Unfortunately, regular legs only fit if you are willing to *carefully* shave the extra thickness from the inside of the torso sides. I know, because I had a young customer who got the Jango Fett pen but wanted "proper" legs for him. So I shaved it down for him (with he and his dad watching) and checking the fit as I went. It's not perfect, but better than nothing - after all, many fans of Lego (both kids and adults) can't part with $75 and up for discontinued or limited-edition minifig. Good review and thanks for the heads-up, as I suspect I'll be busy doing more if/when this arrives in my local Lego Store!

What do C-3P0 and Jango have to do with each other?

They're both Star Wars? :laugh: Who knows, I mean, when did Ep. 3 Obi-wan and Chewbacca interact? Ep. 3 Anakin and Swamp Trooper? Ep. 4 Leia and Ackbar?

Thanks for this review. I've been considering to get this, but since you can't even swap the legs, I don't think I will. Threepio looks stupid with that giant peg on his head anyway.

Can you give us a pic of the torsos without the head and how the heads look on normal minifigs?

What do C-3P0 and Jango have to do with each other?

Uhm, they both got decapitated during the Battle of Geonosis? :tongue:

Those pens are hideous :sick:

I saw them in Windsor a few years back (or was it Günzburg?).

The plastic is truly inferior and loses it's colour when exposed to sunlight.

My advice is to stay away from that product - it's just not worth.

How about putting Fett next to a "real" Fett and spot the difference in quality?

Nice review though, thanks for making it and giving us a comparison picture of the C3P0´s

Those pens are hideous :sick:

I saw them in Windsor a few years back (or was it Günzburg?).

The plastic is truly inferior and loses it's colour when exposed to sunlight.

My advice is to stay away from that product - it's just not worth.

How about putting Fett next to a "real" Fett and spot the difference in quality?

Nice review though, thanks for making it and giving us a comparison picture of the C3P0´s

Sorry, I dont have Jango. Only Boba Fett.

A cool find, but sad that the plastic quality sucks... :hmpf_bad: I really liked the look of Jango's helmets, if only you could get that stud off then it would be alot better.

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

Honestly, I'm not too miffed that the quality sucks on these. After all, they are supposed to be decorations on pens, not minifigures. The human accessories that come with actual minifigures are the watches, and for those the minifigure is just thrown in as a fun bonus.

It sucks to me that the minifigures in magnet packs these days, which are supposed to be minifigures, have inferior quality; since these aren't even supposed to be minifigures, what does it matter? I guess if they suck so badly they don't even work on a pen, that would be something else…

BTW, how well do these stay together, since it would need to be stable, considering it's a pen and all...

BTW, how well do these stay together, since it would need to be stable, considering it's a pen and all...

There's a metal rod going through the whole thing.

There's a metal rod going through the whole thing.

True. I forgot about that. :classic: If they made proper legs for it, the metal rod wouldn't be able to go through

Im sorry what is Chinaese Legos anyway.

Chinese LEGO is LEGO from China. :laugh: It refers to the pieces that are outsourced to TLG's plant in China. Typically, they have more complex prints, the plastic isn't as glossy, and there are indents on the inner sides of the limbs.