35 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

NOTE: I edited the original "preview" and added in some low-res photos to the review. If you want to see these pics in hi-res, simply go to my brickshelf folder:

Hi-res 6210 photos

Jabba�s Sail Barge reviewed by Dunamis

Set 6210

781 Pieces

$74.95 at the LEGO store

Build time 3.0 hours

The Box:

Box is standard with two seals and the lid that flips up when you pull out the perforated tabs on the back. Three alternates on the back of the box; Jabba�s palace, a sailboat and a sea creature.

6210_001.jpg

Parts are in the two types of standard LEGO packaging; perforated bags and standard sealed bags. There were some boat type pieces, black tubing and Jabba�s body free in the box along with the instruction manual. Note that the bags were not numbered (like the 6211) and it seems the minifig pieces are spread out among several bags.

The Manual:

The manual is 74 pages of instructions plus single images of the alternates and a two-page part listing. Very handy feature that I am glad LEGO went back to. Note that my first impression is that the colors in the manual appear to be rather dark (see photo) and I will let you know how much of a problem this is as I build the set. Also, the two sails were inside the manual as well as the dreaded sticker sheet.

The manual

6210_008.jpg

Part listing

6210_014.jpg

Alternates

6210_013.jpg

Too dark?

6210_016.jpg

Sails

6210_002.jpg

Stickers

6210_004.jpg

The Minifigs:

Eight if you include Jabba. Note that they are all flesh tone.

The usual suspects

6210_021.jpg

Jabba � I believe he is the same as the earlier sets (I don�t have time to break one out and check.)

R2D2 � He looks the same (except of course he has the serving tray) but he only has decals on one side (front and not back). Again, it�s late and I don�t have another R2 unit handy to check.

Leia � we have a flesh toned slave Leia.

Han � we have a flesh toned Solo with white shirt and brown pants

Luke � Flesh toned Luke with both hands flesh (no black glove)

Boba � Looks like a regular Boba with dark grey hands

Lando � Nice looking Lando with a really nice helmet

Gamorrean � nothing special here (as far as I can tell)

The Pieces:

Items of note

- The two minifig axe heads have the new KK metal look. Very nice.

- There is a frog piece?

- There is a new unidentified (at least to me) technic angle piece (see photo)

- There are some drumstick (food) pieces

Cool pieces

6210_022.jpg

The Build:

Building of the Sail Barge was swift and progressed nicely up to a point. The interior and deck was very straightforward and progressed quickly. However, building out the five section rear of the Sail Barge was a bit repetitive. It is at this point that we begin our adventure in sticker application.

The two sides of the Sail Barge are all plates and lots of stickers. Each side of the Sail Barge opens in two sections to reveal the inside play area. The sides are held on to the hull with technic pins. This section is a somewhat tedious build due to the number of stickers needed.

The front of the Sail Barge was cleverly designed. It is like an upside down bow of a boat that is held in place with technic pins. This section is built rather swiftly.

The masts and sail section is all done with technic parts and flows quickly. Interesting to note that the sails are not exactly like the sails from the older pirate ships. I happened to have the sails to the 6270 set and could feel a noticeable difference in thickness with the Sail Barge sails being thinner. Just thought I would pass that along.

The Skiff is definitely bigger than the 7104 version and is a nice (and necessary) addition to the primary set. It has a flip out plank to put Luke on to recreate that classic scene. The Sarlac pit is a bonus and definitely allows the purists to send Boba to his demise.

The manual was a bit on the dark side, but didn�t impact the building of the set. In fact, the instructions were fine until we get to page 50 where sub-section on building the deck gun was pretty dark (there were a lot of black pieces.) It was not too difficult to figure out what pieces were needed and the rest of the manual was clear enough.

The Stickers:

Pardon my lateness in getting this review to you, I was busy applying stickers! Lots of stickers and even worse; the dreaded sticker over multiple piece issue. There were five of these to deal with. In total, there were 28 stickers in the set. I feel that is WAY too many and many of these stickers could have been printed pieces as they are applied to 2x2 tiles. Personally, I�d rather pay the extra $5-10 in a large set like this to get printed tiles. For me, the high number of stickers detracts from the overall enjoyment of the build.

Overall Thoughts:

This is a nice model with some great minifigs. Here are some random observations:

- The deck gun is very nicely designed and looks like it came right out of the movie.

- The set looks very good and has some good playable features.

- The sails tend to get in the way when playing with the minifigs on the deck.

- The Boba-launcher is kind of lame really.

- The set is kind of hard to pick up at first. You really have to pick it up from underneath. Plus, there aren�t a lot of studs in the middle of the deck so any minifigs standing mid-deck tend to go flying off.

- Any thoughts of significant playing inside the Sail Barge should be shelved. There really just isn�t much room inside (especially with Jabba.)

Final Rating: 80%

Playability 8/10 (too small inside, sails hamper movement outside)

Minifigs 9/10 (Flesh tone lovers delight, nice Lando and nice weapons)

Design 6/10 (28 fricking stickers!)

Parts 8/10 (Good stuff here)

Price 9/10 (Good price/parts ratio plus we get the nice skiff and Sarlac pit)

This is a good set and good buy, especially if you could ever get one on sale. The stickers really hurt the overall rating of the set, but you get some nice minifigs and the updated skiff and Sarlac pit.

Thanks for taking time to make a "preview" review for us hungry fans who are'nt able get our hands on the sets yet.

The minifigs are especially nice.

I'll hold my final judgement until the entire review is up.

Could you please take a close up of our dear Lando (since its the only real valuable fig in this set ;-) ): with helmet and without + a close up of the helmet !!

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

Fleshtone Leia *wub* *wub*

Must have this set NOW - and the ISD, and the remaining twenty some sets I need for a full collection :-|

Thanks for the pics and as Yoda asked - can You take a better pic of Lando (up close and personal) so that I can see how the helmet fits?

KimT

Ahhh gotta love those lego stickers............... :-| Thanks for posting and like the others i await more pics and a review.

Waaaaaay to much stickers :-/

Then again, the MFs are great. I'll certainly get this before I get the ISD...

Funny detail: some of the figures on the box are yellow :-P , thanks for your review, my first impressions are good, except the sieze of it, it looks rather small 8-

Could you please take a close up of our dear Lando (since its the only real valuable fig in this set ;-) ): with helmet and without + a close up of the helmet !!

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

Sure. I will upload some addional pictures tonight. I think the folder should be public now and there are several other pictures in it. Please post here if you have any additional picture requests.

Here is the additonal pic I had taken of Lando & Leia. Lando & Leia

Again, I'll post more tonight after work...

Gah! I am so sick of stickers. *n*

And flesh-toned Luke looks horrible. Flesh-tones with tan hair... :-X

Steve

Gah! I am so sick of stickers. *n*

And flesh-toned Luke looks horrible. Flesh-tones with tan hair... :-X

Steve

i never really noticed it but now that you brought it up, it DOES look weird. *wacko*

Looking forward to post-build reveiw!

I'm pretty sure those technic pieces were in the Falcon set, but not got it handy to check. And Artoo has always been blank on the back ;)

No Threepio! Lucky I have a few of them...

I was pretty certain that Lando's helmet was going to be made out of the same stuff the exo-force dudes have as hair pieces, that soft, flash-prone plastic, but now the helmet actually looks like it might be normal lego!

(The only good that might have come out of the new exo-force hair is that it might be cheaper for lego to produce imperial navy troopers helmet moulds for instance)

I like how they gave R2 the serving tray.Very funny!Also i find it cool that they made a catapult for Fett to ''activate his jetpack''.Great feature.

Note that my first impression is that the colors in the manual appear to be rather dark (see photo) and I will let you know how much of a problem this is as I build the set.

Pshhhh...after the painful abuse my eyes went through trying to follow the directions on the Batman sets, this looks like a piece of cake :-P

Darn! You beat me to it here too!!! Oh well, great review.

PS. This is a gret set, if you have any doubt in your mind about this set, push the doubt out and buy this set!

Ohhh is that a new Lando face i see?.. now have to get it...

Here is the rest of my review. I'll be adding photos in the morning (it's really late.)

The Build:

Building of the Sail Barge was swift and progressed nicely up to a point. The interior and deck was very straightforward and progressed quickly. However, building out the five section rear of the Sail Barge was a bit repetitive. It is at this point that we begin our adventure in sticker application.

The two sides of the Sail Barge are all plates and lots of stickers. Each side of the Sail Barge opens in two sections to reveal the inside play area. The sides are held on to the hull with technic pins. This section is a somewhat tedious build due to the number of stickers needed.

The front of the Sail Barge was cleverly designed. It is like an upside down bow of a boat that is held in place with technic pins. This section is built rather swiftly.

The masts and sail section is all done with technic parts and flows quickly. Interesting to note that the sails are not exactly like the sails from the older pirate ships. I happened to have the sails to the 6270 set and could feel a noticeable difference in thickness with the Sail Barge sails being thinner. Just thought I would pass that along.

The Skiff is definitely bigger than the 7104 version and is a nice (and necessary) addition to the primary set. It has a flip out plank to put Luke on to recreate that classic scene. The Sarlac pit is a bonus and definitely allows the purists to send Boba to his demise.

The manual was a bit on the dark side, but didn

Are there any shooting elements other than the Boba Launcher?

What are the dimensions? Can you take off the sails and masts and then give me the dimensions?

How many pieces in the skiff?

How many pieces in the Sarlaac?

Are there BURPS?

Thanks.

What are the dimensions? Can you take off the sails and masts and then give me the dimensions?

Are there BURPS?

Thanks.

1. No other shooting elements.

2, 3 & 4. Yes, I will do this tonight and report back (I'm at work right now.)

5. None come to mind at the moment

Tks for the close up of Lando and helmet Dunamis ;-) I love this fig !! I can't wait to have this set :-P

*yoda*

great review! i am really looking forward to getting this set :-)

I'm looking forward to get this set as soon as possible (it just went up at the German S&H, yay!).

But there's one major downside: I have gotten used to stickers, but stickers across two parts really irk me. If you attach those, the set just can't be disassembled properly...

Are there BURPS?

Thanks.

1. No other shooting elements.

2. 19" long x 5.5" wide (not including the fins) x 6" tall

3. 71

4. 70

5. None come to mind at the moment