legokuate

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 4 discussion

I think all the hype about the Crazy Scientist is because "oh my God, it's so rare!!". :hmpf_bad:

If TLG delivered a small April's fool telling that there will be 10 CS in a box, a lot of people will not want it anymore.

Think... the same thing happened with the S3 Fisherman. What the hell is so special with this fig? It's well designed but it's pretty "normal". Torso and legs not so different from construction workers (of which there are a lot around). New beard and fishing rod ok, but they are not unprecedented concepts and can have substitutes. But since it was slightly rarer than all others in the first batch, it became the favourite fig of a lot of people. But not anymore.

Edited by Legoist

I think all the hype about the Crazy Scientist is because "oh my God, it's so rare!!". :hmpf_bad:

If TLG delivered a small April's fool telling that there will be 10 CS in a box, a lot of people will not want it anymore.

Think... the same thing happened with the S3 Fisherman. What the hell is so special with this fig? It's well designed but it's pretty "normal". Torso and legs not so different from construction workers (of which there are a lot around). New beard and fishing rod ok, but they are not unprecedented concepts and can have substitutes. But since it was slightly rarer than all others in the first batch, it became the favourite fig of a lot of people. But not anymore.

Apart from the flask, there's nothing really remarkable about the scientist - I would agree that the hype has to do with there being only two of them in a box, and it would apply to any of the figures.

Where there's hype there's usually hoarding/selling motives, rather than collecting or army-building. Yeah, I said it.

Where there's hype there's usually hoarding/selling motives, rather than collecting or army-building. Yeah, I said it.

Yep... I totally understood the hype when it was related to figs like the Spartan and the Elf. They had a higher cool factor (subjective, but at least more widespread), they made sense to be owned in a large amount, and they had really unprecedented parts e.g. the spartan/greek helm and the elven "ears".

That post just made me feel slightly sick to the stomach. :sick:

I'd hate to see the charge for an enemy!

The hype isn't necessarily down to a hoarding instinct. With any "rarest" thing, there's a sligh panic edge that's constantly telling someone that they might not get one. It makes people go for the rarest as a priority, even if they just want one. I'm not interested in the Fisherman either but I was quite relieved when he tumbled out of the first pack I opened.

It should be worth noting that the Fisherman's overalls are in 191 Flame Yellowish Orange (BL's Bright Light Orange) rather than 109 Bright Orange (BL's Orange). Not that that's a huge selling point, since there's very little that color is compatible with. But then again, sometimes you don't want your minifigures to match the scenery around them, in which case that could be useful. The fisherman also has a new fishing rod with a new fishing line, a new beard, and recolors of the knit cap and the fish. A shorter beard is something people have been waiting for for quite a while, and perhaps the reason discussion of the fisherman has largely died down is because people can now get the same beard from the lawn gnome.

I don't think the fisherman was ever a favorite for most people besides those people who prefer Town- and City-themed minifigures. And those, needless to say, are not the main people who are excited about the Crazy Scientist. In the case of Town and City builders, I see a lot more praise for the guitarist and painter.

Perhaps the only reason it seems like the rarer figs are fan-favorites is because more people are talking about trying to get them? Chit-chat isn't the same thing as hype-- some of the people talking might just be frustrated collectors who want a full set but don't particularly care about the crazy scientist's design or parts. I'm not saying the Crazy Scientist doesn't have any great advantages of his own, but I'm not seeing any of the hype you're describing-- just a select few people (primarily horror or sci-fi builders) who consider him among their "must-haves", and then a few more completionists who are just on the lookout for a Crazy Scientist to finish off Series 4. And it's worth noting that the same people would probably be after the Crazy Scientist even if he were more common-- but since he'd be easy to get in that case, there wouldn't be any need for discussion.

Edited by Aanchir

With any "rarest" thing, there's a sligh panic edge that's constantly telling someone that they might not get one.

This is a great summary of the insanity of a collecting hobby :tongue:

That post just made me feel slightly sick to the stomach. :sick:

The same here.

It should be worth noting that the Fisherman's overalls are in 191 Flame Yellowish Orange (BL's Bright Light Orange) rather than 109 Bright Orange (BL's Orange). Not that that's a huge selling point, since there's very little that color is compatible with. But then again, sometimes you don't want your minifigures to match the scenery around them, in which case that could be useful. The fisherman also has a new fishing rod with a new fishing line, a new beard, and recolors of the knit cap and the fish. A shorter beard is something people have been waiting for for quite a while, and perhaps the reason discussion of the fisherman has largely died down is because people can now get the same beard from the lawn gnome.

I don't think the fisherman was ever a favorite for most people besides those people who prefer Town- and City-themed minifigures. And those, needless to say, are not the main people who are excited about the Crazy Scientist. In the case of Town and City builders, I see a lot more praise for the guitarist and painter.

Perhaps the only reason it seems like the rarer figs are fan-favorites is because more people are talking about trying to get them? Chit-chat isn't the same thing as hype-- some of the people talking might just be frustrated collectors who want a full set but don't particularly care about the crazy scientist's design or parts. I'm not saying the Crazy Scientist doesn't have any great advantages of his own, but I'm not seeing any of the hype you're describing-- just a select few people (primarily horror or sci-fi builders) who consider him among their "must-haves", and then a few more completionists who are just on the lookout for a Crazy Scientist to finish off Series 4. And it's worth noting that the same people would probably be after the Crazy Scientist even if he were more common-- but since he'd be easy to get in that case, there wouldn't be any need for discussion.

Indeed. I personally sought multiples of the fisherman partly for those parts; I was particularly interested in the new colors for his knit cap and the fish. The overall figure also sparked some ideas about crewing a fishing trawler, which I hadn't really considered before. I like the figure just fine and got three of it, and honestly I'd like more just for the fish if it weren't for the fact it's also supposed to be in Series 5. Its rarity or lack thereof doesn't interest me in the slightest; I go after figures I want (in all honesty, I'd be delighted to have a few more divers from S1, even though it's probably the least popular figure out of all four series). And I very much appreciate the scientist not because of the rarity factor (which I suspect may be rectified eventually, as it apparently was for the fisherman) but simply because I'm one of those sci-fi / horror fans who finds the figure inherently appealing simply for what it is.

I've been trying to get at least two of each figure from each series, with more copies of those I feel I can most use additional copies of; the exact number I go for depends upon how many of the figure I feel I can use in my own creations.

Apart from the flask, there's nothing really remarkable about the scientist - I would agree that the hype has to do with there being only two of them in a box, and it would apply to any of the figures.

To be honest, I'm not getting a full box only just for myself. I might (re)sell most of them. Depending on a buyers offer ofcource. And I'm already sure I'm not keeping the 2nd Scientist so that one would be for sale in the near future. Aswell some Safetysuit Guys, Werewolfs and many others. I'm more than happy one full box just contains 3 Musketeers, no more, no less. Very logic that I will keep them all three. But still this is all (near) future talk, since I don't got my full S4 box yet.

Just got my first seven figs, all by feel the bag. And all succesful, save for the fact that I got only one musketeer, the only one at the shop. But I'm glad I even have one.

I noticed that the Geisha is quite easy to find, as is the Frankenstein. Not that the others were too hard, I think I'm finally getting good at that. :classic:

A shorter beard is something people have been waiting for for quite a while, and perhaps the reason discussion of the fisherman has largely died down is because people can now get the same beard from the lawn gnome.

That new beard was a good call and is a very desirable piece. I guess it's the way that TLC purposefully introduced it in two consecutively released sets of collectable figures.

And I, although I'm mostly a castle person, just LOVE the fisherman way more than the lawn gnome (he's good and useful in his own right though!) because of the recoloured knit cap (dark blue for my crownies) and the orangey legs, which fit perfectly into my own vision of fighting monks :-).

The Lawn gnome might provide parts for other factions, mostly dwarves of course, though I couldn't judge that, since I haven't got him, yet.

Only today though I got my first five S4 figures, and some of my most wanted ones miraculously without even feeling that much: the punk rocker, the werewolf, the geisha, the painter and my favourite (gotta get me more ^^) the viking!

Awesome swag!

Be well all!

Cutty

That new beard was a good call and is a very desirable piece. I guess it's the way that TLC purposefully introduced it in two consecutively released sets of collectable figures.

Honestly, I never liked that beard. I don't think it suits my figs well. Not that I liked the old beard, I prefer the printed ones. And the only reason I have a fisherman is, because I mistook his dots for a samurai (however I've done this :grin:). I'm not much of a city fan, so I have all but no use for the fisher, but if I had, I'd use him without the beard, as the one he already has looks better, in my opinion.

I walked into my local Lego store and they just put out the new Series 4 figures. I grabbed 10 random bags. I feel self conscious trying the feel for the figures I want while standing in the store. I lucked out and only got one duplicate, a werewolf. I managed to get:

Musketeer

Painter

Ice Skater

Hockey Player

Skateborder

Japanese Geisha

Surfer girl (dont care about her so I didnt open it)

Soccer player (again didnt open)

Werewolf x2

I want to go back and feel for the hazmat suit figure and the scientist.

Honestly, I never liked that beard. I don't think it suits my figs well. Not that I liked the old beard, I prefer the printed ones. And the only reason I have a fisherman is, because I mistook his dots for a samurai (however I've done this :grin:). I'm not much of a city fan, so I have all but no use for the fisher, but if I had, I'd use him without the beard, as the one he already has looks better, in my opinion.

I liked the beard, but the first thing I said when I saw it was "this is a much better beard for Santa Claus."

I suppose the fisherman is interesting... I just traded for a few not because I particularly like it but because the trade was a good deal and I know I'll use the parts down the road.

My problem with CMFs, especially series 4, is I like one bagged set to save for posterity, one set to display, and then some extras of figs I'm interested in for making things. I made a Luau scene with several hula dancers and Sumos (with different hair) - I love how the CMFs make ideas for MOCs pop into your head like that.

Anyway, while I've ordered a box, my problem with the scientist is this: one for posterity, one for display... and I want one for a MOC I have in mind (and have several other ideas, although I could share that figure between them). I was lucky enough to get two when I ordered 30 from TRU... now both my kids are proud owners of mad scientists and I still have none. :cry_sad: , so I'll still be on the lookout - not wanting them because they're rare, but because I could use at least one more, perhaps two or three for things I already have in mind.

As far as the fisherman goes, for being so rare, I somehow ended up with a lot of them despite the fact that two would have sufficed.

Edited by fred67

I liked the beard, but the first thing I said when I saw it was "this is a much better beard for Santa Claus."

My twin brother said the same thing. He's mentioned it'd be great to get a Santa minifigure (maybe not a collectible minifigure, but instead a promotional one like the minifigure of Max from the LEGO Club Magazine) that uses the fisherman's beard and the sack the burglars use in this year's City sets. It'd be nice if there were also a hat that works better for a typical Santa hat than the bandanna LEGO's been using since the dawn of time, but as of this year we still have the foundations for a great Santa Claus figure.

My problem with CMFs, especially series 4, is I like one bagged set to save for posterity, one set to display, and then some extras of figs I'm interested in for making things. I made a Luau scene with several hula dancers and Sumos (with different hair) - I love how the CMFs make ideas for MOCs pop into your head like that.

Anyway, while I've ordered a box, my problem with the scientist is this: one for posterity, one for display... and I want one for a MOC I have in mind (and have several other ideas, although I could share that figure between them). I was lucky enough to get two when I ordered 30 from TRU... now both my kids are proud owners of mad scientists and I still have none. :cry_sad: , so I'll still be on the lookout - not wanting them because they're rare, but because I could use at least one more, perhaps two or three for things I already have in mind.

I'm confident that once the crazy scientist starts showing up on Bricklink he won't be for too high a price, since he's not a typical "army builder". So you might be able to get some additional copies for MOCing purposes in that way.

I do care that the scientist and the fisherman are rare - because it means I can't get them! I love the scientist because of his excellent hairpiece and that amazing ne conical flask. I liked the fisherman because of his beard, hat and recoloured fish, but I unfortunately never got him.

When are these going to appear at Argos and WHSmith's? I still haven't seen a single packet, and I really want them!

The Toys R Us on Veterans, right?

You didn't buy a box of series one and pretend it was for your kids, did you?

It was on Vets, but the one on the Westbank has them as well. I didn't get any of the first or second series, I'm just starting to become an AFOL and missed out on them.

It was on Vets, but the one on the Westbank has them as well. I didn't get any of the first or second series, I'm just starting to become an AFOL and missed out on them.

Ah, sorry you missed out. Sadly I don't have any extras of those :sad:

And the guy who was "buying a box for his kids" eludes me still...

Don't worry folks, I'm not really a conspiracy theorist :wink:

I picked out 5 random bags at TRU and got the Hazmat, Werewolf, Painter, Hockey Player, and Scientist. My only complaint is that the scientist's head is made out of rubber. I find it really odd and un-LEGO like. Other than that I really enjoy this series. I am definetely going to be buying more and buying randomly.

And I very much appreciate the scientist not because of the rarity factor (which I suspect may be rectified eventually, as it apparently was for the fisherman) but simply because I'm one of those sci-fi / horror fans who finds the figure inherently appealing simply for what it is.

I've just opened my sealed box and there were 4 scientists in it so you were completely correct.

Series 4 arrived at Hungary! On the 1st day of April! I just grabbed 3, I didn't have nerves to touch and feel them, I just want some as soon as possible :laugh:

One soccer player, one sailor and one musketeer!

I picked out 5 random bags at TRU and got the Hazmat, Werewolf, Painter, Hockey Player, and Scientist. My only complaint is that the scientist's head is made out of rubber. I find it really odd and un-LEGO like. Other than that I really enjoy this series. I am definetely going to be buying more and buying randomly.

Well, it's not new-- that same hair (in rubber) was used for Dr. Inferno and Dr. D. Zaster from the Agents theme (in the first case, it was black with orange printing, and in the second it was white with lime printing). The reason it's made of rubber is the same as with a lot of rubber parts, like Exo-Force hair, Kit Fisto's head in the Star Wars theme, and the tip of the Spartan Warrior's or Tribal Chief's spear: the rubber LEGO uses allows them to mold a sharper angle on spiky details. Compare the tip of the Spartan Warrior's spear with a spear from the Castle theme-- the newer spear's tip is a lot less rounded (of course, it's worth noting that there's another new spear in the Hero Factory theme that's identical to the one in Castle but completely rubber, so there may be safety and stability considerations involved as well).

Overall, I don't mind the use of rubber parts in LEGO one bit. But I can see how it's really a matter of personal preference, since there is an obvious difference in reflectiveness between rubber hair pieces and most other hair pieces (along with the even more obvious difference in the physical "feel" of the pieces).

When are these going to appear at Argos and WHSmith's? I still haven't seen a single packet, and I really want them!

Hello, Gregorovich,

I bought a sealed box from a WH Smith's in central London today. Woohoo! :grin:

I wanted to get a box from the LEGO store at the Westfield yesterday but when I called to reserve it, they said that there was a limit of 16 minifigs per customer so they wouldn't accept my reservation. I explained that other retailers such as Tesco were selling the minifigs by the box. They responded they already knew that because they were "monitoring" Eurobricks and Brickset, but rules are rules and they wouldn't help me.

That's the second time I've received good customer service from WH Smith's after another retailer wouldn't take my money. The last time it was series 3 and the unhelpful retailer was Argos.

Hooray for WH Smith's!

Amps