legokuate

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 4 discussion

Finally managed to find a box(that was only a third full :hmpf_bad: ) of Series 4 by chance at my TRU here in VA. Luckily out of the handfull that were left I managed to get my four favorites (punk rocker, artist, the monster, and geisha girl) and I also grabbed a werewolf, sailor, and skater out of what was left while they were on "sale" ($2.69 rather than $2.99 for today only, apparently). The only others that were left were several ice skaters, soccer players, and a surfer girl. I consider myself pretty lucky due to how ravaged the box was. :laugh:

I still wanna find a hazmat guy, garden gnome, and mad scientist someday though. But I'm more than satisfied for now!

Woow, that's rather cheap.

Today I just orderd a full sealed box myself and when I got too many of one IMO, I would gladly sell them.

Like the Hazemat Guy would be too many in one box for me and go for sale. Still need to wait a few more weeks before the box will be in my paws.

I got my order of 60 packets in from my TRU online order. They did not send a sealed box like I had hoped. 

I used the dot guide and the touch/feel method. I found that some packets had very pronounced dots while others were very hard to see, just like series 3. One interesting thing was that all the Hazmat Guys either didn't have any dots or they had strange patterns - it didn't match the published dot guide really. But that's ok because he's one of the easiest to ID. 

I found my ID'ing to be pretty accurate. The only surprise I had was that a Viking turned out to be a skateboarder during my opening phase! I guess I felt a spoke and rounded edge of the board and assumed it was a shield too quickly. In the end I ended up opening all 16 unique figures, so it's all good. 

Here is what was left after opening my set. Again, this is not a MISB situation! And my ID'ing is pretty accurate but not 100%, apparently. 

0 Viking

1 Crazy Scientist

2 Musketeer

2 Surfer

2 Garden Gnome

2 Hockey Player

2 Figure Skater

3 Hazmat

3 Skateboarder

3 Monster (Frankenstein)

3 Kimono Girl

3 Soccer Player

4 Punk Rocker

4 Sailor

5 Artist

5 Werewolf

I'm thinking I will hold on to my additional Musketeers and Hazmat Guys to sell/trade later. The rest will be returned to my local TRU for a very large gift card. :sad: It was worth it to do this and avoid multiple trips and aggravation; this is my new strategy for s5 and onward.

Some identifying thoughts... Kimono, Hazmat, and Surfer are very easy to identify due to their large unique elements. Punk Rocker is pretty easy too once you find the guitar. The hardest to ID are the Werewolf and Monster, especially the latter. For the wolf, you should try to lock down the tiny bone. I also found the sailor and artist hat to be very similar; I think their dots were similar too, iirc. 

Other thoughts... There are rubbery pieces in this series! I don't remember s1-3 having any rubbery elements, do you? The scientist hair, punk rocker's hair, and hazmat's tool are all rubbery. The gnome has no fish! The artist's accessories are probably the best in this series. The hockey player and figure skater have the same ice skates (same mold and color). Those skates are very tiny and kind of come off easily; they make the figs fall over easily. 

My favorite figures for this series (in order): Musketeer, Viking, Punk Rocker, Hazmat, Artist

My least favorite this series (lamest first): soccer player, gnome, werewolf, figure skater. I could also live without another skateboarder. At least surfer girl has a different gender and outfit than surfer guy. 

But all in all, I'm loving this series. I'm all set for another three months, whew! Feel free to ask me any questions in this thread. 

Some identifying thoughts... Kimono, Hazmat, and Surfer are very easy to identify due to their large unique elements. Punk Rocker is pretty easy too once you find the guitar. The hardest to ID are the Werewolf and Monster, especially the latter. For the wolf, you should try to lock down the tiny bone. I also found the sailor and artist hat to be very similar; I think their dots were similar too, iirc. 

Other thoughts... There are rubbery pieces in this series!

I haven't experienced them all... I got an order of 30 from TRU, and am missing 5, so have no experience with those.

My thoughts on the "feel" method are slightly different. I agree about the Kimono and surfer; I didn't get a hazmat guy. I think the Frankenstein's Monster is actually one of the easier ones... the top of the hair is flat, and if you're good you can actually feel the texture. The sailer's hat is not that close to the artists... you can feel the ridge around it... plus the artist has the brush and palette, which is a pretty unique shape in itself. The punk rocker gave me the most problems; for some reason, after feeling the neck of the guitar, I had problems feeling the ends. I don't know why... I can feel the texture of the monster's hair but not the obvious V of the guitar... perhaps I was rushing.

The rubber parts should help in identifying because they don't slide around in the package very easily, so when something feels like it stubbornly won't move, it's a pretty good indicator.

In my local shop they have a whole box.

but they were the only who sels them,so I think it was a fault.

What country and town are you in? I'm still waiting for them to arrive in Hamilton :angry: .

I live in the netherlands,In a city called Dordrecht,near Rotterdam.

I was hoping you lived near me, so that there was minifigs near me. It's funny though because I'm playing Geert Rotterdam in a mafia game :laugh: .

Other thoughts... There are rubbery pieces in this series! I don't remember s1-3 having any rubbery elements, do you? The scientist hair, punk rocker's hair, and hazmat's tool are all rubbery. The gnome has no fish! The artist's accessories are probably the best in this series. The hockey player and figure skater have the same ice skates (same mold and color). Those skates are very tiny and kind of come off easily; they make the figs fall over easily. 

My favorite figures for this series (in order): Musketeer, Viking, Punk Rocker, Hazmat, Artist

My least favorite this series (lamest first): soccer player, gnome, werewolf, figure skater. I could also live without another skateboarder. At least surfer girl has a different gender and outfit than surfer guy. 

My TRU had one box sitting sideways on a shelf with no pricing label. I'm not sure they knew what they had. They usually get one or two boxes on opening weekend, but I called several times this week and they had no idea when they would come in. I even called an hour before I showed up and they said they hadn't come in yet. I picked up 17. I don't know how I lost track, but ended up with two hockey players. That's the only one I wanted two of anyway, so it must have been in my head. They were $2.69 each.

This is the first Series I didn't use the code sheets at all. Last time, I used the dots and then felt out the ones I wasn't sure of. Even then, I made at least two mistakes. This time I went %100 feel and got them all right.

I lucked out on several of them by feeling the dead-give-aways right off the bat. I felt the werewolf's bone on the first try, the surfer and the skateboarder's boards, the musician's mohawk, and the kimono girl's slope. I had the most trouble with the monster's hair piece. I couldn't tell what I was feeling, but the lack of other accessories narrowed it down to him. The skater's hair piece was also a hard one to figure.

It's hard to pick favorites, but I really like the musician, surfer, skateboarder, hazmat, and hockey player. My least favorites are the gnome, artist (though I love the face), and the soccer player (though I love having the hair in that color).

I went to my toysrus and they had series 4. I was able to get all the figures I wanted but the punk rock star. They had none left. There's always next time.

Went into our local Tesco today and they had a box of the series 4 left, just grabbed 23 packs ( no idea why 23 ) after spending about 20 mins trying to feel them out, and can anyone tell me how that barcode thing works because they are the same code on all the packs????

Went into our local Tesco today and they had a box of the series 4 left, just grabbed 23 packs ( no idea why 23 ) after spending about 20 mins trying to feel them out, and can anyone tell me how that barcode thing works because they are the same code on all the packs????

TLC laid off that barcode identification after Series 2! They changed their method of individual identification to small raised "dots" or "bumps" on the lower edge of each package's backside, which are hard to see and feel. It's possible to observe them under the right lighting coditions however.

The cheat sheets for S4-figures can be found somewhere in this forum, yet I am seriously too lazy to find a link for you. Perhaps you just re-read through some pages back and find them yourself. Once you see the list the whole matter concerning those dots will become very self-explanatory, really!

Just make sure you got a proper source of light for identifying your figs!

Be well all!

Cutty

I live in the netherlands,In a city called Dordrecht,near Rotterdam.

Lucky you! I used to live like 30min. away from there. So you have seen an actual S4 box already???

Makes me wonder, since I was in the Netherlands last week and haven't even seen a single S4 polybag while I was there.

Does S4 not be sold world wide or only at larger shops. Like where did you saw that box, TBB (if I may call you that)?

Some shops here doesn't even sell S3 (but I've mentioned that quite a few time now).

Just bought 12 S4 minifigs from the local Sainsbury's (UK).

Here's what I got:

1 Crazy Scientist

1 Viking

1 Street Skater

1 Punk Rocker

1 Hockey Player

1 Lawn Gnome

2 Soccer Player

2 The Monster

2 Surfer Girl

Quite good I think, and the duplicates are still in sealed packs which I'm going to go back and get a refund on. :)

Found piles of series 4 boxes in my local TRU at last!! I got ten bags and got the skater (x2), the geisha, the sailor (x2), hazmat guy, garden gnome, frankenstein's monster, football player and the surfer lady. Missed out all the ones I actually wanted... but there's another order of 20 bags on its way to me, so I'll see :D

Is this the place to put which of the minifigs you like the most?

Because if so, I must say that so far, the best one from S4 for me is the artist. Especially as the beret is useful for military MOCs (instead of legions of medics, why not have officers?) But I also like the look of the footballer, which I hope to get shortly.

Well I spotted these in Sainsburys this morning, so having bought a few bags there walked into town - found the new boxes in a local toy emporium, luckily they said it was ok to buy a sealed box (hurray!)

So, out of a box of 59, I got two full sets (just short one surfer girl)... the artist, scientist and footballers seems to be really very common, I have enough sailors to man a small cruiser, and (in my experience) the musketeers, female ice dancers, viking chaps and gnomes I only got three of. SO I'm really quite pleased, having not got a box of series 3 but spent ages squinting at silly hard to see dots in the stores...

As well as on here there is a nice guide to figures here along with a dot decoder - I have to say that I found reading the dots on the orange packages far more difficult than the green ones of series 3...

Lucky you! I used to live like 30min. away from there. So you have seen an actual S4 box already???

Makes me wonder, since I was in the Netherlands last week and haven't even seen a single S4 polybag while I was there.

Does S4 not be sold world wide or only at larger shops. Like where did you saw that box, TBB (if I may call you that)?

Some shops here doesn't even sell S3 (but I've mentioned that quite a few time now).

Yes,I have seen a whole box.Maybe look at a Blokker store,there is where I found it.

good look searching.

I finally got my first few S4 figures over the weekend! I found them at a Toys 'R' Us - not the one here in my town, where I regularly go, but one in another town a long drive away (so, I won't go there regularly to shop for LEGO; I was there with my girlfriend to meet and visit some of her family members on her grandfather's birthday). I started sorting them by feel, and putting together one set, but was pressed for time and wound up grabbing a couple of the ones I knew, plus some random others I had sorted but gotten somewhat mixed again without realizing it, and wound up getting lots of duplicates. I'm fine with that - I want at least two of each (and have gotten at least two of each figure from the previous three series), but I'm just a hair perturbed that out of the twelve minifigures in my initial purchase from this series, I got only seven of the sixteen, plus five duplicates (a few of which I actually did seek since I'm ultimately going to want as many of them as I can get, but a few of the others I just want a couple of, and I was hoping to get my initial distribution spread out a little more - I was hoping to complete base sets before going wild on duplicates). Oh, and I would have picked up more than twelve, but as it happened this TRU also had a couple copies left of the Indiana Jones set The Temple of Doom, which I'd wanted more of but had thought I wouldn't have another opportunity to get any more of; I bought one copy of that unexpected find, and that shattered the budget I'd planned when I hadn't expected to find any lingering Indy sets on this trip.

My S4 haul:

2x Hazmat suit guys

1x Garden gnome

1x Surfer

2x Frankenstein's monster(s)

2x Sailors

2x Punk rockers

2x Artists

Shortly after I leave work (I'm posting from my workplace during my lunch break) I'm going to see if I can find a few more at a local store I expect to receive them (they've already had the previous three series, so I assume it's certain they'll have them eventually, though I don't know just when).

Yes,I have seen a whole box.Maybe look at a Blokker store,there is where I found it.

good look searching.

Lol, realy? I've never seen any series in a Blokker *oh2**huh*

Not here and not in the Netherlands.

Struggling to see those dots on the back and work out what they are compared to the guide, opened 2 out of the 23 i bought today and they were the gnome and the artist....