XimenaPaulina

[Review] Arealight's New Custom Clone Trooper Helmets

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Arealight’s New Custom Clone Trooper Helmets?

2. 2. Which of the New Custom Clone Trooper Helmets is your most favourite?

• Airborne Trooper Helmet
    • ARF Trooper Helmet
    • AT-RT Driver Helmet
    • Clone Commando Helmet
    • Clone Cold-Assault Trooper Helmet
    • Clone Commander Phase II Helmet
    • Commander Bacara Helmet
    • Commander Neyo Helmet

gallery_101_23_281.gif

5162508623_ee82e9ab3f_b.jpg

Product: Custom Clone Trooper Helmets

Producer: Arealight Custom Work

Date Released: October 27, 2010

Price: US$ 2.50 each

Color Availability: White, Black, Sand Green, Metal Silver (new)

Last October 27th, master customizer Arealight has finally released the highly-anticipated new custom clone trooper helmets (“Space Helmets of ABS Plastic” as Arealight calls it). Being a fan of LSW, it is a must for me to get a hold of these interesting new custom helmets, so I immediately placed an order that very same day. I received the items last week and after the necessary preparations, I now present to you a full comprehensive review of Arealight’s New Custom Clone Trooper Helmets. (I’ll just let the photos do the talking and just interject some comments along the way)

ARF Trooper Helmet

arf1.jpg

Let’s start with my most favourite among the batch, the ARF Trooper helmet. Interestingly, this one is very similar in idea with the upcoming ARF Trooper helmet from TLG, and Arealight once again released his own version ahead of the official one. Without the benefit a comparison, I like this ARF helmet because of its cut-out eye-opening, which is more accurate IMO unlike what seems to be a printed opening in TLG’s version.

Sample Application: The Lightning Squadron (updated version of my previous MOC)

arf2.jpg

Other Application: Camouflaged ARF Troopers, Geonosis-camouflaged troopers

Clone Airborne Trooper helmet

airborne1.jpg

Sample Application: 2nd Airborne of the 212th Attack Battalion

5162515527_2f7d4be23c_b.jpg

Other Applications: Blue-colored 501st Legion Airborne Troopers

Commander Bacara Helmet

bacara1.jpg

Sample Application: Commander Bacara (obviously)

5162579759_1f56e6277f_b.jpg

Other Application: Clone Heavy Troopers

Clone Cold-Assault Trooper Helmet

cold_assault.jpg

Sample Application: Captain Rex in Cold-Assault Gear

5162523389_2f1ef71650_b.jpg

Other Applications: Other Cold-Assault Troopers; Flame Troopers also wear the same helemt but with different print and color scheme

Commander Neyo Helmet

neyo.jpg

Sample Application: Commander Neyo and CT-3423 of the 91st Reconaissance Corps

5162523399_05d989cb80_b.jpg

Other Applications: Clone Assassins use the same helmet

Clone Commander Phase II Helmet

clone_commander.jpg

Sample Application: Commander Colt of the Rancor Battalion

5162523385_358efcb701_b.jpg

Other Applications: This helmet has lots of possible applications for Phase II clones

Clone Commando Helmet

commando.jpg

Sample Application: This example is made by minifigmaker.com and is not my creation, I just used this for example purposes. This Delta Squad uses custom-made non-Arealight Clone Commando helmets, but Arealight's version can be utilized to create a Clone Commando Squad like this one.

commandos.jpg

Other Applications: The other known Clone Commando Squads

AT-RT Driver Helmet

atrt.jpg

Sample Application: EB's resident AT-RT driver, Brickdoctor. default_blink.gif

atrt2.jpg

Other Applications: Kaskykk-colored AT-RT drivers

Ratings:

Playability - 8/10 These new custom clone helmets offer a lot of possibilities in expanding one's clone army or introducing new clone types that can be used in a variety of MOCs. The only drawback is the helmets are bare and without print, so one is left to rely on his own skills to customize these helmets

Quality - 9.5/10 Quality is almost lego like, very smooth with no distinct mold marks. The white color is vibrant and a bit brighter than LEGO white. The sand green is comparable with the TLG's sand green. I cannot judge the other colors since I don't have them. A small nitpick would be the incompatibility of helmet accessories (antenna, visor) on the Clone Commander helmet.

Price - 9.5/10 Very reasonable, at US$2.50 each for a SW helmet piece, it's a fair deal IMO.

OVERALL - 9/10 Buying these new custom clone trooper helmets is extremely worth the money I've spent. These are highly recommended for all for any clone army builder or LSW fan in general.

-----

Parting Shot:

5162523401_a69d958278_b.jpg

Behind the Scenes:

3,000th post! default_laugh2.gif

Acknowledgement: Special thanks to Mr. Bluce Hsu, owner of Arealight Custom Work, for the arrangement of fast delivery of the items for this timely review. default_classic.gif

Fire away your comments guys! Don't forget to vote in the poll.

Great review. I've been looking forward to these. Once he gets printed Commando Helmets I'll look into it. :classic::thumbup:

Great Review KDM! And congrats on getting to an impressive 3000 posts! :sweet:

Im really keen on getting lots of these, Ive finally decided to bite the bullet and order some for christmas, but like CMP said, It's only a matter of time till he release's printed versions, so I think I save abit and buy more of them when they come along.

Love the last pic :laugh:

CF

Thanks for this wonderful review! They look great! I already ordered and got 2 commander, and 1 Heavy, but I will make another one, especially because of the reviews! :classic:

Great review. I really like your custom jobs on these, to really make them awesome. That's the only drawback on these though. You have to customize them yourself. Other than that, great product! :thumbup:

Behind the Scenes:

3,000th post! default_laugh2.gif

I knew there was some sort of catch to this! :laugh:

BTW, why didn't you customize the Commando helmet yet?

Edited by prateek

Great review KielDaMan :thumbup:

Like others have said I can't wait to see the printed versions but the unprinted ones are very impressive by themselves if used in the right combinations.

Nice transformation of the Cold Assault Trooper helmet, it looks great and hopefully a printed version will arrive in the future.

The ARF and Airborne have to be my favorites.

I must say Arealight has done a great job on these and can't wait to see if he can pull off printed versions.

Also no Mando helmets or Jet Packs?

Edited by AoNZ

Ever since I made Knight and slowed down in posting, you've been dedicated to staying a thousand posts ahead of me, eh? :tongue:

Nice review, like 'em all but the AT-RT driver helmet is my favorite. On a side note, could you not think of a better use for a perfectly good Phase II helmet other than to CW-ify it? :laugh:

Great review. I really like your custom jobs on these, to really make them awesome. That's the only drawback on these though. You have to customize them yourself. Other than that, great product! pirate_thumbup.gif

Thanks! yeah, it was really difficult and time-consuming to customise the helmets, but one really has to put effort if you want to get what you want out of these great custom helmets.

I knew there was some sort of catch to this! default_laugh_new.gif

As always with my uniquely-numbered posts! (weird huh?) default_laugh2.gif

BTW, why didn't you customize the Commando helmet yet?

I ran out of 'steam' to customise it (read: tired as hell). Besides, even if I did it, it's not appropriate to see a lone Clone Commando. Maybe sometime when I get three more of the commando helmets and create my own Delta Squad.

Also no Mando helmets or Jet Packs?

I haven't got those yet. I reserved this review solely for the clone helmets, adding the Mando helmet would make it look out-of-place. Beside I still don't have the new Boba Fett fig. default_sad.gif So maybe another member could do a comparative review on that.

Ever since I made Knight and slowed down in posting, you've been dedicated to staying a thousand posts ahead of me, eh? default_tong.gif

Nice review, like 'em all but the AT-RT driver helmet is my favorite. On a side note, could you not think of a better use for a perfectly good Phase II helmet other than to CW-ify it? default_laugh_new.gif

Not really, but I'm just trying to be active like my idols, the posting greats prateek, lightningtiger, and Big Cam. default_laugh2.gif

Back on topic: What?! The AT-RT Driver helmet is your favorite? Are you sure? default_laugh_new.gif Actually, I contemplated putting your name there as the Sample Application for the AT-RT driver, but scrapped it the last minute since I know you wouldn't want to be called a 'Bulldog'. default_tong.gif

Regarding the Phase II armor, that was a last minute decision as well, I originally planned to make it an Operation Kinghtfall 501st Legion trooper, but the CW fan in me made me do Colt instead. default_laugh2.gif

Not really, but I'm just trying to be active like my idols, the posting greats prateek, lightningtiger, and Big Cam. default_laugh2.gif

I knew these three would be brought into it. :laugh:

CF

Nice review, I really like the heavy trooper helmet

Oh, thanks for pointing that out, I never knew about the Clone Heavy Trooper. So that helmet is not only for Bacara, I'll update the post and include Clone Heavy Trooper as other possible applications of that helmet.

Back on topic: What?! The AT-RT Driver helmet is your favorite? Are you sure? default_laugh_new.gif Actually, I contemplated putting your name there as the Sample Application for the AT-RT driver, but scrapped it the last minute since I know you wouldn't want to be called a 'Bulldog'. default_tong.gif

Regarding the Phase II armor, that was a last minute decision as well, I originally planned to make it an Operation Kinghtfall 501st Legion trooper, but the CW fan in me made me do Colt instead. default_laugh2.gif

I probably wouldn't have minded your using me as a sample application, except I'm using a stock helmet in my avatar. Oh, and I'm afraid of dogs. :grin: No, really.

I probably wouldn't have minded your using me as a sample application, except I'm using a stock helmet in my avatar. Oh, and I'm afraid of dogs. default_laugh2.gif No, really.

Consider it done Doc! For some reason when I see a Kaskykk trooper/AT-RT driver, your avatar (and hence your identity) always pops in my head. default_tong.gif

---

On a side note, my acquisition of the ARF helmets might've saved me a couple of the upcoming Clone BP worth of dollars. Since my Lightning Squadron is now complete, I might just have to get 1-2 of the said BPs mainly for comparison purposes of the ARF helmets and just to get a couple of those new clones. Thank God Arealight made these ARF helmets. default_classic.gif

Edited by KielDaMan

Consider it done Doc! For some reason when I see a Kaskykk trooper/AT-RT driver, your avatar (and hence your identity) always pops in my head. default_tong.gif

---

On a side note, my acquisition of the ARF helmets might've saved me a couple of the upcoming Clone BP worth of dollars. Since my Lightning Squadron is now complete, I might just have to get 1-2 of the said BPs mainly for comparison purposes of the ARF helmets and just to get a couple of those new clones. Thanks God Arealight made these ARF helmets. default_classic.gif

Now I'll never be able to change that avatar. :tongue:

That ARF trooper helmet looks great! Now I will have to order from them. Awesome job on the review and congrats on make 3000 posts! :thumbup:

These are great but I prefer the one's this guy makes as they are more closer to what they would actually look like as a figure and I personally feel TLG should hire this guy to make Lego figures for them :grin:

http://www.clonearmy...n/storefront.pl

Sorry if I offend you by saying I prefer this guy's figures Kiel :cry_sad:

Oh no not at all, why would I get offended anyway? :classic: The focus of this review is Arealight's new custom clone helmets, the customisation I did on them are just for example purposes and I never intended to showcase my customisation skills, which is admittedly not as great as other master customisers, it's just decent at its best. Also, I would like to point out that some of these are somehow hastily made just to make this part of the review. Don't worry I promise I'll improve on my minifig customization, believe me I look up to these great people and I would be happy to make even half the quality of their creations. :wink:

Oh no not at all, why would I get offended anyway? :classic: The focus of this review is Arealight's new custom clone helmets, the customisation I did on them are just for example purposes and I never intended to showcase my customisation skills, which is admittedly not as great as other master customisers, it's just decent at its best. Also, I would like to point out that some of these are somehow hastily made just to make this part of the review. Don't worry I promise I'll improve on my minifig customization, believe me I look up to these great people and I would be happy to make even half the quality of their creations. :wink:

You think your customization is bad? Mine is terrible, The only Clones I could get right a couple of weeks ago was Denal and The Clone Riot Trooper from Duchess of Mandalore :laugh:

Edited by commanderneyo

You think your customization is bad? Mine is terrible, The only Clones I could get right a couple of weeks ago was Denal and The Clone Riot Trooper from Duchess of Mandalore :laugh:

Well, it's not at the level that I would want it to be in, there are still lots of rooms for improvement, as I'm still learning the ins and outs of the minifig customization. Anyway, we're getting a bit off-topic, so I think I'll probably get another batch of these custom new helmets to practice more. :grin: Besides, there are still lots of ideas I would like to do using this new custom Arealight helmets (Delta Squad, Galactic Marines, Camouflaged ARFs, etc.)

If you guys think your customs are bad, then you obviously have never looked at mine. :grin:

Well let's see one then :laugh:

There are some in my MOCpages folders. Try my Jedi Temple dio, it's got 4 terrible 501st troopers and a Shaak Ti who's face is peeling off.

I love these helmets. I received some, and customized them just the other day. I'll post pictures of my customized ones as soon as I get around to taking pictures. I just love the AT-RT helm since They have always been my favorite clones and the helmet is done beautiful. Not to crazy about the Clone Wars stuff all though they are done very well, just not into the Clone Wars.

Great job on the review of great items :thumbup: