legolijntje

[KEY TOPIC] Official Lego sets made in LDraw

Hi everyone, i'm a newbie here!

did anyone make .ldr models of the classic instructions, from 60’s, 70’s and 80’s? (i loved their simplicity since my childhood)

i started making some on LeoCad, i don’t know if is there any interest on sharing

(meanwhile i might update https://etherpad.net/p/LegoModelsFrom60s , https://etherpad.net/p/LegoModelsFrom70s and https://etherpad.net/p/LegoModelsFrom80s )

Edited by nitrofurano

thanks! from 60’s to 80’s are those indexed with 3 digits - i guess there is still a lot to be included (for example, only from 221, Ideabook 1 (from 1973, i guess), there are dozens of models! :) )

and how are these pictures made? are screenshots from LeoCad or Blender, or renderings from Blender, valid?

and how fine are .ldr files shared from etherpad or pastebin links?

@nitrofurano

Use the other regular posts as example and you will not be wrong.
Read the rules in the first page of this topic to ensure you are not doing something forbidden.
In this topic both screenshot from the building software and renders are accepted, obviously better is the quality of the image, the better is,
In order to share the image and the ldr file please use an affordable file hosting, such as brickshelf or bricksafe, that allow to host both images and lxf files and share that with hotlink.

thanks, @Calabar , and created an account at bricksafe

btw, is that usual brickshelf showing a server error when trying to register?

about the pictures, i were seing that LeoCad allows printing on .pdf files (at least on GNU/Linux), and then on Gimp, Imagemagick or anywhere else we can convert these .pdf files into picture - i guess this way can be accepted as well?  :) 

10 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

and how are these pictures made? are screenshots from LeoCad or Blender, or renderings from Blender, valid?

and how fine are .ldr files shared from etherpad or pastebin links?

Most often images are made using LDview.

4 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

please let me know if this one is fine: http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/616_cargoship

[snip]

To make a good submission in this topic, you have to clearly specify which set you have created by adding (for example in bold) the set number and set name (and set theme usually). You can obtain that information from Brickset or Bricklink. Take a look at other submissions here to get some examples of what I mean :classic:

Also, the white axle in your model is not correctly placed. It's slightly misaligned. I can highly recommend LDCad to avoid most of such problems.
You also used the wrong slopes, as can be seen in the inventory of the set. It might look the same, but it isn't :wink:

1 hour ago, legolijntje said:

Most often images are made using LDview.

To make a good submission in this topic, you have to clearly specify which set you have created by adding (for example in bold) the set number and set name (and set theme usually). You can obtain that information from Brickset or Bricklink. Take a look at other submissions here to get some examples of what I mean :classic:

Also, the white axle in your model is not correctly placed. It's slightly misaligned. I can highly recommend LDCad to avoid most of such problems.
You also used the wrong slopes, as can be seen in the inventory of the set. It might look the same, but it isn't :wink:

thanks for all info indeed!

i tried to install LDview (amd64 .deb package), but gDebI said that libboost-system1.58.00 is a dependency not satisfiable... :S - would be great if we could have it avaiable from some kind of ppa...

i confess i started to get fun using LeoCad (comes from Ubuntu/Debian repositories) even considering that inaccuracy on the results - LDCad seems to get installed fine, but its interface hurts my eyes, and it’s a proprietary software (i really prefer using software-libre, as LeoCad is)

and since i’m quite enjoying using LeoCad, perhaps a good idea would be if those models i’m creating .ldr files i would share at http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano (i have more to upload there soon), and then you all would kindly please helping revising them, everything in a collaborative way? (i confess i’m really not good in assuring the models have no errors, or have enough quality) - what do you all think? 

and thanks again! :) 

38 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

i tried to install LDview (amd64 .deb package), but gDebI said that libboost-system1.58.00 is a dependency not satisfiable... :S - would be great if we could have it avaiable from some kind of ppa...

i confess i started to get fun using LeoCad (comes from Ubuntu/Debian repositories) even considering that inaccuracy on the results - LDCad seems to get installed fine, but its interface hurts my eyes, and it’s a proprietary software (i really prefer using software-libre, as LeoCad is)

Even if you don't like / want to use LDCad you can still (only) use it to render your models (it has opengl2png and POV-Ray export) for uploading to this thread as LDraw itself is an open standard.

384 - London Bus [1973]

another model plenty of wrong parts (like the chassis plate), besides i’m trying to do my best! :D - like everything made for me, i think it also needs some revision! :D

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/384_londonbus

(the original model also came with stickers, i didn’t use any of them yet - btw, i hated stickers when i was a child! :D )

(updated: replaced the wheels with the correct ones, replaced the chassis plates with the correct ones, and i don’t know if i filled that hole with the correct parts - i guess this model still needs revisions... - i need to update the screenshot soon as well because the correction on the wheels)

384_LondonBus_1973.png

Edited by nitrofurano

another question: i’m also starting "221 - Idea Book 1", and it is still far incomplete at http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/221-ideabook1 - how must we share it when ready? all models in just one .ldr file? it’s a 64 page book plenty of instructions and models ( http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/221/Idea_Book_#1 ) - it was sold only as a book, supposing that we would build them using those basic kits (those only with bricks and plates) or with parts from other models

353 - Terrace House with Car and Garage [1972]

this one might have lots of mistakes as well

and where can we find that tree from the original model? http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/353/Terrace_House_with_Car_and_Garage ( http://www.rebrickable.com/sets/353-1/#parts says it’s named gtfruit, but i guess there is no gtfruit.dat available from LeoCad )

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/353_terracehousewithcarandgarage

353_TerraceHouseWithCarAndGarage_1972.pn

Edited by nitrofurano

2 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

384 - London Bus [1973]

another model plenty of wrong parts (like the chassis plate), besides i’m trying to do my best! :D - like everything made for me, i think it also needs some revision! :D

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/384_londonbus

(the original model also came with stickers, i didn’t use any of them yet - btw, i hated stickers when i was a child! :D )

[snip]

I appreciate the effort and your submission(s) already look much better. However, there's a hole in the back of the bus.. :grin: 
No offense, but I can't take a model which is missing pieces like that into the index.

Also, why didn't you use the correct plates for the bottom? The parts you're looking for are 780 and 781. And if you can't find a part and build it differently than the instructions say, at least tell which parts you changed in the post so that other people know and could possibly help.

And btw, if you can't find a part in LDraw, you can look up the inventory of the set on Rebrickable.com. You can then click on a part and it'll show you which LDraw number corresponds with that part (if it exists).

Missing stickers aren't a problem. I don't quite like them either and most of them aren't available in LDraw anyway :wink:

1 hour ago, nitrofurano said:

another question: i’m also starting "221 - Idea Book 1", and it is still far incomplete at http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/221-ideabook1 - how must we share it when ready? all models in just one .ldr file? it’s a 64 page book plenty of instructions and models ( http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/221/Idea_Book_#1 ) - it was sold only as a book, supposing that we would build them using those basic kits (those only with bricks and plates) or with parts from other models

Best is every model in a separate file.

1 hour ago, legolijntje said:

I appreciate the effort and your submission(s) already look much better. However, there's a hole in the back of the bus.. :grin: 
No offense, but I can't take a model which is missing pieces like that into the index.

Also, why didn't you use the correct plates for the bottom? The parts you're looking for are 780 and 781. And if you can't find a part and build it differently than the instructions say, at least tell which parts you changed in the post so that other people know and could possibly help.

And btw, if you can't find a part in LDraw, you can look up the inventory of the set on Rebrickable.com. You can then click on a part and it'll show you which LDraw number corresponds with that part (if it exists).

Missing stickers aren't a problem. I don't quite like them either and most of them aren't available in LDraw anyway :wink:

Best is every model in a separate file.

i think i fixed London Bus now, please help revising! :) - and about parts 780 and 781 i didn’t know they existed! :D - i fixed the wrong wheels as well, and i don’t know if i filled that missing area with the correct pieces - please let me know if it seems better now, and perhaps acceptable in the index

i confess i need to get more comfortable with rebrickable.com, like finding information there easily, fast and accurately, for example, i don’t know which index name has that motor used on 102A, and some of that train models from 70’s and 60’s

and thanks for all info and help!!!

Edited by nitrofurano

22 hours ago, roland said:

Even if you don't like / want to use LDCad you can still (only) use it to render your models (it has opengl2png and POV-Ray export) for uploading to this thread as LDraw itself is an open standard.

i still need some more time trying LDCad, but the fact it is (still) proprietary, and its interface seems to not look and feel comfortable enough is a significant obstacle for me, and sorry being a bit blunt about this - i know a bit what is trying to develop, maintain and contribute to software projects, this is why i’m totally into software-libre - for example, if LDCad were available from GitHub, perhaps lots of people were trying to help improving it there - and thanks anyway! :)

Edited by nitrofurano

a question: about sharing models at bricksafe.com , i guess would be a good idea hosting there a kind of fair use statement document in all pages, since i’m not the original author of these models, i just tried to follow the instructions for creating these .ldr files? what do you all think about?

1 hour ago, nitrofurano said:

i think i fixed London Bus now, please help revising! :) - and about parts 780 and 781 i didn’t know they existed! :D - i fixed the wrong wheels as well, and i don’t know if i filled that missing area with the correct pieces - please let me know if it seems better now, and perhaps acceptable in the index

i confess i need to get more comfortable with rebrickable.com, like finding information there easily, fast and accurately, for example, i don’t know which index name has that motor used on 102A, and some of that train models from 70’s and 60’s

and thanks for all info and help!!!

I added LDraw numbers to the motor from set 102A on Rebrickable for you :wink:

57 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

i still need some more time trying LDCad, but the fact it is (still) proprietary, and its interface seems to not look and feel comfortable enough is a significant obstacle for me, and sorry being a bit blunt about this - i know a bit what is trying to develop, maintain and contribute to software projects, this is why i’m totally into software-libre - for example, if LDCad were available from GitHub, perhaps lots of people were trying to help improving it there - and thanks anyway! :)

You're not the only one. I think the most often heard complaint about LDCad is about its user interface. And to be honest, it's indeed not the most pretty and slick interface in the world. But the program itself works like a charm. As far as open-source goes, you can read some of the authors' (Roland) statements here. Maybe it changed since then, but he is around here too. Maybe he'll hop by and tell you his current thoughts on it :wink:

33 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

a question: about sharing models at bricksafe.com , i guess would be a good idea hosting there a kind of fair use statement document in all pages, since i’m not the original author of these models, i just tried to follow the instructions for creating these .ldr files? what do you all think about?

Feel free to do what you want on Bricksafe, but it's not really neccesary. Also, it looks like Leocad creates very minimal headers. A proper/official LDraw header would look like this (I removed my first and last name for the example obviously) and includes the standard LDraw license:

0 FILE 10182 - Cafe Corner.ldr
0 Cafe Corner
0 Name: 10182 - Cafe Corner.ldr
0 Author: firstname lastname [Legolijntje]
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt

6 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

I added LDraw numbers to the motor from set 102A on Rebrickable for you :wink:

You're not the only one. I think the most often heard complaint about LDCad is about its user interface. And to be honest, it's indeed not the most pretty and slick interface in the world. But the program itself works like a charm. As far as open-source goes, you can read some of the authors' (Roland) statements here. Maybe it changed since then, but he is around here too. Maybe he'll hop by and tell you his current thoughts on it :wink:

Feel free to do what you want on Bricksafe, but it's not really neccesary. Also, it looks like Leocad creates very minimal headers. A proper/official LDraw header would look like this (I removed my first and last name for the example obviously) and includes the standard LDraw license:

0 FILE 10182 - Cafe Corner.ldr
0 Cafe Corner
0 Name: 10182 - Cafe Corner.ldr
0 Author: firstname lastname [Legolijntje]
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt

thanks!!! :)

about LDCad, perhaps it was a first time impression, or perhaps it has better themes available, or something like that, or perhaps a personal impression - but humbly i confess i didn’t tried it enough - and btw, would be great seeing LDCad somewhere at GitHub one day soon! :) 

about the "0 Author" line, is that really needed? putting my name there on models created by Lego staff makes me fell like if some musician interpreter (like Jordi Savall, Yo-Yo Ma or any other) claimed authorship from J.S. Bach compositions, feels a bit weird an not fair, at least in my humble opinion... (i might be wrong, sorry being if i am...)

319 - Truck with Trailer [1965]

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/319_truckwithtrailer

a question: the instructions at http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/319/Truck_with_Trailer shows some alternative models - i guess they are welcome as well?

319_TruckWithTrailer_1965.png

8 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

about the "0 Author" line, is that really needed? putting my name there on models created by Lego staff makes me fell like if some musician interpreter (like Jordi Savall, Yo-Yo Ma or any other) claimed authorship from J.S. Bach compositions, feels a bit weird an not fair, at least in my humble opinion... (i might be wrong, sorry being if i am...)

Well, it's not needed here (although it is for the OMR, but the rules and expected quality are lot higher there). It's not claiming authorship of the set or design, just of the file. Just like there's a logo of a publisher on a book I think.

8 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

a question: the instructions at http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/319/Truck_with_Trailer shows some alternative models - i guess they are welcome as well?

Well, the norm here in the LDD topic is that only models are allowed if there are actual instructions available to make sure the model is built as designed. However, firstly I'm not as strict as Calabar is :tongue: and secondly for such an old, simple set I don't think there's a lot that can be done wrong anyway. So I think the alternate models are fine, as long as you make sure you don't accidentally use parts that aren't actually in the set and you add a note for other people that it is an alternate model.

342 - Train Station [1968]

this one have some wrong parts as well, like some doors, and the tree seems to be named FTCypH ( https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/classic/building/lego-342-station/ ), and i used another instead - and perhaps a missing window even showing on the screenshot? (oops... :S ) (all fixed, except the tree, i think)

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/342_trainstation

342_TrainStation_1968.png%20

Edited by nitrofurano

11 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

this one have some wrong parts as well, like some doors

That's the problem of old sets, available inventories are often imprecise (at best!)... What have inventory did you use as reference to build this set?

11 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

and the tree seems to be named FTCypH

Every inventory site try to use LEGO design number as part name, unfortunately many (especially for old parts) are not known so a name is forged, but there is no coordination between inventory website. So the cypress is known as FTCypH on Bricklink, and used to be known as 688 at LDraw or Peeron (3 digit design number are not used by LEGO and were used to identify such unknown referece parts)

When the real LEGO design number is discovered later (like 3778 for this tree), LDraw renames forged part number to real one, so you used the right part (3778.dat). Unfortunately, other website don't have this policy, so inconsistencies remain :(

9 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

102A - Front End Loader [1970]

The bricks at the tip of the bucket are sligthly misaligned (I too was a LeoCAD user for a long time, but LDCad is sooo much better.... Granted, it needs some learning, granted it is not open source but I believe that the important thing is that models and LDraw parts used ARE free stuff).

The hinges are missing pivot part (313.dat)

9 hours ago, nitrofurano said:

(missing the battery-box/controller, and the electricity cable, i guess? )

You should find LDraw parts for battery box and cables. Look at http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=593c01 for battery box, and http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptscan.cgi?q=592c for cable/plugs.

11 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

i don’t know how to complete this one - those white plates holding the “garage” black roof,

I don't really see the problem? Instructions show two 2x3 bricks, two 2x2 plates, one 1x2 plate...

12 minutes ago, nitrofurano said:

and one of those trees seems wrong

Yeah, few of these ooold trees are available in LDraw...

324 - House with Garage [1964]

http://bricksafe.com/pages/nitrofurano/324_housewithgarage

i think there are no mistakes on this one? (please help on revision...)

324_HouseWithGarage_1964.png

3 hours ago, Philo said:

That's the problem of old sets, available inventories are often imprecise (at best!)... What have inventory did you use as reference to build this set?

Every inventory site try to use LEGO design number as part name, unfortunately many (especially for old parts) are not known so a name is forged, but there is no coordination between inventory website. So the cypress is known as FTCypH on Bricklink, and used to be known as 688 at LDraw or Peeron (3 digit design number are not used by LEGO and were used to identify such unknown referece parts)

When the real LEGO design number is discovered later (like 3778 for this tree), LDraw renames forged part number to real one, so you used the right part (3778.dat). Unfortunately, other website don't have this policy, so inconsistencies remain :(

The bricks at the tip of the bucket are sligthly misaligned (I too was a LeoCAD user for a long time, but LDCad is sooo much better.... Granted, it needs some learning, granted it is not open source but I believe that the important thing is that models and LDraw parts used ARE free stuff).

The hinges are missing pivot part (313.dat)

You should find LDraw parts for battery box and cables. Look at http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=593c01 for battery box, and http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptscan.cgi?q=592c for cable/plugs.

I don't really see the problem? Instructions show two 2x3 bricks, two 2x2 plates, one 1x2 plate...

Yeah, few of these ooold trees are available in LDraw...

inventory? i’m a newbie, often looking for info from search engines... - http://toysperiod.com seems to be a greate source of inventory? the first ones i started from http://lego.brickinstructions.com - please let me know some great ones else than these ones

meanwhile, i’m still struggling (a lot...) on LDCad

313.dat, 593c01.dat and 592c.dat parts are related to 102a model? thanks!!! :)

you mean “346 - House with Car”? i need to try it again... - thanks! (i struggle a bit when the instructions are not clear enough, at least for me...)

“ooold”? i want to build models from this one!!!! :D - https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/classic/basic-set/lego-700-12-automatic-binding-bricks/ (my dad was a teenager then! :D )