legolijntje

[KEY TOPIC] Official Lego sets made in LDraw

Oh, I "lost" this limitation! :grin:

Are you sure? In the "Official LEGO Sets made in LDD" topic I saw many user inserting their creation in their first post.

yeah, i'm pretty sure; i have even to edit your quoted posts removing urls otherwise i can't reply..

.. and that brings me to 4 :tongue:

let's try now..

10216 - winter village - bakery

kiosk.png

carxh.png

lake.png

bakery.png

ldr file

i used bricksmith; like i said that's my first model, so i need more practice

- the colors are probably all wrong

- stickers are missing

- i couldn't find the same minifigs, so they are random and in spite of my efforts they look totally lame; i realised later on the existance of the minifigure tool, so some of them are built "part by part"

- i couldn't find the door of the bakery between the official ldraw parts, i found one in the unofficial parts tracker but it looks bad

i can't remember anything else

Edited by kingofbeer

That's a lot better :thumbup:

Just for indexing, can you remove the large qoute and insert the number/name/theme in the th post? Because the qoute is a bit big :wink:

Edited by legolijntje

Here are a few more: the Maersk Sealand and the Taj Mahal. I did them in SR 3D Builder. There are no stickers for the Maersk Sealand and I'm sure I must have gotten some of the colouring in the files wrong, but otherwise they should be okay. Oh, also the corners of the Taj Mahal don't fit together that well, but I do not think it is noticeable. :grin:

10152: Maersk Sealand

maersk_sealand_small1.png

maersk_sealand_small2.png

maersk_sealand_small3.png

L3B File

10189: Taj Mahal

taj_mahal_small1.png

taj_mahal_small2.png

taj_mahal_small3.png

L3B File

Just had to add more images of these beauties. :drool:

Edited by Palathadric

Alright, now I'll be working on the Castle sets:

6041-Armour Shop (Crusaders)

With Minifigs:

armour_shop_with.png

Without Minifigs:

armour_shop_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

4806-Axe Cart (Knights Kingdom I-Bulls)

With Minifigs:

axe_cart_with.png

Without Minifigs:

axe_cart_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

I just had to use the closest head and torso for this minifig that I could find.

6024-Bandit Ambush (Dark Forest)

With Minifigs:

bandit_ambush_with.png

Without Minifigs:

bandit_ambush_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

I had to use the old Forestmen torsos for these guys. One of their faces was also not available, and I had to use SW hoods for them. Humph!

EDIT: Not anymore!

Anything else?...

I don't think so.

6007-Bat Lord

With Minifigs:

bat_lord_with.png

Without Minifigs:

bat_lord_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6027-Bat Lord's Catapult

With Minifigs:

bat_lord_catapault_with.png

Without Minifigs:

bat_lord_catapault_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6062-Battering Ram (Crusaders/Big)

With Minifigs:

battering_ram_with.png

Without Minifigs:

battering_ram_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

1979-Battering Ram (Black Knights/Small)

With Minifigs:

battering_ram_with.png

Without Minifigs:

battering_ram_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

I couldn't get both his hands to connect to the handle of the battering ram. Humph!

6018-Battle Dragon

With Minifigs:

battle_dragon_with.png

Without Minifigs:

battle_dragon_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

2539-Batwing Flyer

With Minifigs:

batwing_flyer_with.png

Without Minifigs:

batwing_flyer_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6009-Black Knight

With Minifigs:

black_knight_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_knight_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

1547-Black Knights' Boat

With Minifigs:

black_knights_boat_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_knights_boat_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6086-Black Knights' Castle

With Minifigs:

black_knights_castle_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_knights_castle_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6034-Black Monarch's Ghost

With Minifigs:

black_monarch_ghost_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_monarch_ghost_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

1888-Black Knight's Guardshack

With Minifigs:

black_knight_guardshack_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_knight_guardshack_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

6011-Black Knight's Treasure

With Minifigs:

black_knight_treasure_with.png

Without Minifigs:

black_knight_treasure_without.png

.L3B With Minifigs

.L3B Without Minifigs

I still don't know why they call this "Black Knight's Treasure", when it appears to be a Black Falcon, but...we can forgive them. :devil:

Edited by Palathadric

Haven't posted on Eurobricks for a while but I've recently got back into using LDRAW, and I've also started experimenting with POV-Ray, so I thought I'd post my first effort for a while with one of 2012's new Creator sets:

6913 Blue Roadster [Creator, 2012]

6783577567_612b44ee0e_z.jpg

MPD file

Colours are all correct, as far as I can tell. The correct tyres (61254) are not yet available for LDRAW, so I have substituted them for a similar design (3483).

For those interested, I'm using a custom "lg_color.inc" POV-Ray file, with official colours taken mainly from the Peeron colour guide, with neon colours taken from the Lugnet guide. I'm happy to post it for those interested, although it's still a work in progress and still needs much annotating before doing so.

Edit: Image now hosted on Flickr.

Edit 2: MPD file now hosted on Dropbox.

Edited by C3POwen

*oh2* How on earth did you manage to do such a good render?! :thumbup:

Did you use the LGEO Library or what? If so, can you please let me know how you got it working?

And if not just let me know how you did it?

...please :classic:

*oh2* How on earth did you manage to do such a good render?! :thumbup:

Probably the render has been done with powray.

It would be very useful if someone would realize a step by step guide for dummies. Any volunteer? :grin:

It would be very useful if someone would realize a step by step guide for dummies...

I was going to say this, but I didn't want to be the first dummy. :tongue: And here I was chuffed about the quality of my screenshots in the LDD thread. :hmpf_bad:

Another one rendered in POV-Ray, and this time it's one of my all-time favourites:

5510 Off Road 4x4 [Model Team, 1986]

6796987199_b863beb3c2_z.jpg

LDR file

Errors: Missing stickers and string for the front winch.

Regarding the actual rendering, I build the model in MLCad first and then view it using LDView, which has a handy POV-Ray-exporting function. I use this as the basis for the final render, but apply a slightly reflective finish to the floor, use more accurate colours (as I mentioned in the previous post) and, most importantly of all, use higher-quality lighting.

The standard POV-Ray file that LDView exports has three lights, all of which cast sharp shadows. Instead, I've turned three of them into "area lights" (which cast a soft, more realistic shadow), moved one of the three so that windscreens don't get too much glare, and then added an extra light to the right of the model which doesn't cast a shadow. This slows down render times a lot, but it makes for a better looking render.

Models rendered at a shallow angle tend to end up with a very dark horizon in them, so I try to stick to a viewing angle of between 23 and 30 degrees. Otherwise, you need to render some fog in the background to soften it up a bit.

To be honest, I find building things in MLCad easier (but slower) than in LDD, as I have more direct control over exact positioning, plus I can create a render of the model that looks great (although some of LGEO's default substitute parts don't look quite right, such as the base part for the control stick, here used as windscreen wipers).

Edit 2: LDR file now hosted on Dropbox.

Edited by C3POwen

To be honest, I find building things in MLCad easier (but slower) than in LDD, as I have more direct control over exact positioning, plus I can create a render of the model that looks great (although some of LGEO's default substitute parts don't look quite right, such as the base part for the control stick, here used as windscreen wipers).

I agree, although I use sr3d builder, it both uses LDraw. You can use far more pieces with Ldraw, sr3d builder has many great features ldd hasn't and, as you also said, you can render great images :classic:

Edited by legolijntje

I try to repeat the request... any volunteer for the step-by-step guide for dummies? :grin:

In order to avoid the "pollution" of this topic, we could discuss about it in private or create a new topic.

I'm happy to put something together, although it might be quite basic, as I've only really produced renders from LDView-generated files.

Regarding the actual rendering, I build the model in MLCad first and then view it using LDView, which has a handy POV-Ray-exporting function. I use this as the basis for the final render, but apply a slightly reflective finish to the floor, use more accurate colours (as I mentioned in the previous post) and, most importantly of all, use higher-quality lighting.

The standard POV-Ray file that LDView exports has three lights, all of which cast sharp shadows. Instead, I've turned three of them into "area lights" (which cast a soft, more realistic shadow), moved one of the three so that windscreens don't get too much glare, and then added an extra light to the right of the model which doesn't cast a shadow. This slows down render times a lot, but it makes for a better looking render.

Models rendered at a shallow angle tend to end up with a very dark horizon in them, so I try to stick to a viewing angle of between 23 and 30 degrees. Otherwise, you need to render some fog in the background to soften it up a bit.

Do you think you could explain some of these things in greater detail for some of us newbies. I figure you did The "area lighting" and moving of the lights is pov-ray, right? Or in LDView. I don't use LDView so I don't really know. Also the colour changes, you did that in MLCad, I'm guessing?

Would love to do such high quality renders as these! :wub:

Do you think you could explain some of these things in greater detail for some of us newbies.

Don't worry, he is working on a guide, I hope we can publish it soon. :wink:

6743 Street Speeder [Creator, 2009]

6797451527_fc879b661a_z.jpg

MPD file

This is the "A" model from the above set.

Errors: None, as far as I can remember.

Do you think you could explain some of these things in greater detail for some of us newbies.

Don't worry, he is working on a guide, I hope we can publish it soon. :wink:

And yes, I'm working on a guide at the moment, trying to make it as user-friendly as possible. Currently putting it together in Word, so I can export it to whichever format is best (as I think a version available as a post/thread would be good, but also perhaps a PDF so that you can use it offline).

Edit 2: MPD file now hosted on Dropbox.

Edited by C3POwen

Hello Everybody!

Recently I've started to model and render some SW Mini official models. Here are two sample pictures and the ldr files.

Enjoy it!

4491 - MTT

4491.png

ldr

4492 - Star Destroyer

4492.png

ldr

I have nearly all the models from SW Mini series, so if someone interested in it, I'll render and upload it here.

ww

Edited by whitew0lf

6007-Bat Lord

Again, the torso and face and even the helmet is utterly wrong, but...well...I guess you can tell me whether you not it is the closest possible to the original. Please let me know.

2539-Batwing Flyer

I don't know. Do you think I should have used this helmet or maybe I should have used the normal helmet with the 3843 visor. What do you think? I used this one because of the wings.

Edited by Calabar
Big Image removed from quote.

I'm working on an updated version of the index, but I think it can only be published somewhere next week, because, I'm getting my new computer tomorrow and the next day I'm very very busy. So, you guys know :wink:

But anyway, of course you can post more models :thumbup:

1972 Go-Kart [Technic, 1985]

1972%20Go-Kart.png

MPD file

A version of a model posted previously by @legolijntje.

With this version, I've created it in MLCad and utilised LSynth to create the rubber hoses. As long as LSynth is installed it can be viewed without errors within either MLCad or LDView.

Edit: MPD file now hosted on Dropbox.

Edited by C3POwen

8020 Universal Set (Model A) [Technic, 1984]

6802406511_1780e4c388_z.jpg

LDR file

Another fairly basic render, which took a long time due to the windscreen (the bottom corner closest to camera, in particularly). I'm going to try playing around with the lighting a bit more, as it looks a little grey and washed out, whereas most actual photos of LEGO tend to look a little more vibrant.

I'm working on an updated version of the index, but I think it can only be published somewhere next week, because, I'm getting my new computer tomorrow and the next day I'm very very busy. So, you guys know :wink:

But anyway, of course you can post more models :thumbup:

Well, thankfully, Brickshelf is up again, so I will post some more soon.