Brick Miner

MOC: BrickMiner's LEGOPOLIS

Brickminer's LEGOPOLIS

Featured Model: Metropolitan Park Tower 16082

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

The last you heard from me I had just received word that I'd be starting as a graphic designer in the Graphics Lab at LEGO Systems in Billund.

If you have not already, please read about the great news! http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45115

In that thread EuroBricks member Klaus Dieter had suggested that I share some of my later Wild West creations which are featured on BrickShelf, since we had not formally discussed them on Eurobricks. However, I thought that I would instead present something much more recent. I have not published my LEGO City work before, so putting together the images for this thread has been more exciting for me than sharing my older Wild West creations.

However, for those wanting to see my Wild West work, here is the BrickShelf folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=BrickMiner

Once I had the idea for this thread, I decided to take some photographs of my home layout from different angles and perspectives. Now, I tried very hard, but despite having three large windows in the room in which the layout is built, the photos which captured the layout entirely were too dark - I just couldn't seem to get enough light into the room. I was very unhappy with the images, and generally I didn’t feel as though they captured the magnitude which my layout provokes when viewed in person.

So, instead of tackling the project as a whole, I have chosen to reveal the layout building-by-building. And in doing so, I will accompany each individually photographed building with MLCad rendered images, presenting the modular buildings section-by-section. This will allow for greater appreciation of the exterior detail and interior infrastructure of the models. Unfortunately, none of my creations will be presented with an interior detailing, since this has been neither conceived nor executed.

For my first presentation I have chosen one of the more easily impressive buildings. Because of its large size it has become a central focus of my layout and because of this it is easily admirable to those who have just been introduced to the layout.

Finally, I present the Metropolitan Park Tower 16082, with 3471 pieces:

16082_metropolitan_park_tower.jpg

This project cost around $625.00 USD to build. It was first completed in winter of 2007 and was based on the gothic-revival Tribune Tower in downtown Chicago; however, late in 2008 the model was demolished and then re-designed earlier this year in MLCad. The finished result of that endeavor is what you see here. The last bricks were laid this past June on the current model.

Some may recognize the current design's silhouette, which was inspired by New York City's Woolworth building. For those who are unfamiliar with this gothic-revival skyscraper, I suggest looking at some of the brilliant photography of it online. For quick reference see the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth_Building

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_reference.jpg

Here is the Metropolitan Park Tower section-by-section. The building is composed of five modular layers, as well as accompanying accessories (Park and Hotdog Stand).

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_level01.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_level02.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_level03.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_level04.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_level05.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_park.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_park_hotdog_stand.jpg

Finally, I present photos of the finished model taken from my home display.

Please note: I will be offering similar presentations for the other buildings in these photos. These presentations are to follow soon, and will be issued in this same thread.

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_photo01.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_photo02.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_photo03.jpg

16082_metropolitan_park_tower_photo04.jpg

These buildings were primarily my answer to the Modular Series buildings: Café Corner, Green Grocer, Grand Emporium, etc. Because, while I enjoyed the grandeur of these buildings, I felt building in this scale would actually prohibit the projects which I wished to pursue. In the end, I decided for scope over scale - this is to say I was able to accomodate a larger scope (for example, taller buildings) by choosing a smaller scale (for example, smaller building footprint than the Modular Series buildings.) This smaller scale would allow me to pursue a larger diversity of buildings with less bricks, and less table space (and ultimately less cash)!

I hope you look forward to my next installment!

- BrickMiner

I don't even know where to start. This is fantastic! I love the whole layout. I...need time to think more before commenting. It's great to see your new stuff and even better to see you posting. I hope we get to hang out again some day! And I hope I get better at returning e-mails. :blush:

Wow! I love this building! It's so detailed with all the small pieces. That hot dog stand is noice. Why didn't you share this before??!?!? :tongue: BTW, can you post more pics of the other buildings too :thumbup::blush:

Just AWESOME 'Brick Miner', the hot dog stand is the icing on the cake....such beautiful art deco skyscraper ! :wub:

Keep up the sweet work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Fantastic! An approachable scale without the loss of grandeur. The details really evoke the gothic style and the height makes it as imposing as it should. Very well done.

Simply majestic structure! This is just a very beautiful build, with intricate architectural details that's just well-conceived and better-executed. My hats off to you, Sir, really impressive build! :thumbup:

What a great building, but what an awesome layout, Brick Miner. :thumbup:

I really like this smaller scale, the modular buildings footprint is indeed a bit big, and this is a much better scale. With the Metropolitan Park Tower you get an bigger building, without that much pieces required for a modular building of the same height. I really like the build technique you've used. The tower looks a bit to white on its own but looks really great in your layout. :cry_happy:

the Inventor

An amazingly detailed and realistic building Brick Miner! :thumbup:

The sheer scale and size of it is very impressive and I would be interested in seeing pictures of the rest of your layout.

Very Well Done. :classic:

~buddy~

In the end, I decided for scope over scale - this is to say I was able to accomodate a larger scope (for example, taller buildings) by choosing a smaller scale (for example, smaller building footprint than the Modular Series buildings.)

I think even TLG's scale for the Modulars is a little too small sometimes, so while I'd prefer scale over scope (but I already see some disagreement in this topic), this building looks simply awesome BrickMiner. It's definitely an eye-catcher in your layout. I really like how you've captured the architectural details of the high-rise buildings in the U.S. I also like the little square/park scene you've set up next too it. :classic:

I don't even know where to start. This is fantastic! I love the whole layout. I...need time to think more before commenting.

Theres nothing to be add :classic: Thats just fantastic! Even at im not so into town building, i can honestly say at this is just beatiful :cry_happy:

Captain Becker

That is very impressive. Your entire layout is impressive and I like how you seamlessly added this into that mix.

Your digital representation is equally impressive.

I think even TLG's scale for the Modulars is a little too small sometimes, so while I'd prefer scale over scope (but I already see some disagreement in this topic), this building looks simply awesome BrickMiner. It's definitely an eye-catcher in your layout. I really like how you've captured the architectural details of the high-rise buildings in the U.S. I also like the little square/park scene you've set up next too it. :classic:

Conscious that our medium is LEGO bricks, we, the viewer, are willing to allow for some discrepancies in scale between objects (certainly, if the minifig head/torso/arm/leg is an example!) – and generally the goal of a LEGO display (I use the word “display” to remove from our discussion play or function type creations such as LEGO Technic or LEGO Mindstorm) is to capture the impression of the scene. Therefore, I believe it is possible to reduce the Woolworth Building from fifty-seven stories to eight, without any lose to the LEGO model.

In fact, I was in the camp who, before the London Tower Bridge images were released, wished that had been designed to accommodate minifigures – which is not to say minifig scale. I was hoping that the impression of London Tower Bridge was accomplished, including the small details, but that the arches were higher for minifig scale vehicles, footpaths for minifigures, etc.

Furthermore, I think one could argue that there exists a bias to European stylized metropolitan cities when building in the Modular Series scale – since it favors intimate and personal street scene building over the sublime city populated with skyscrapers (New York, Chicago, Dubai, Hong Kong, etc.). However, I do not propose that this prejudice can honestly be reduced to the builder’s continental affiliation.

I don't even know where to start. This is fantastic! I love the whole layout. I...need time to think more before commenting. It's great to see your new stuff and even better to see you posting. I hope we get to hang out again some day! And I hope I get better at returning e-mails. :blush:

Hinckley, I would love to participate more often, but posting takes so much time! To be as thorough as one should be, and to reply with the critical eye which one should, posting even a single message can be a huge endeavor!

Conscious that our medium is LEGO bricks, we, the viewer, are willing to allow for some discrepancies in scale between objects (certainly, if the minifig head/torso/arm/leg is an example!) – and generally the goal of a LEGO display (I use the word “display” to remove from our discussion play or function type creations such as LEGO Technic or LEGO Mindstorm) is to capture the impression of the scene. Therefore, I believe it is possible to reduce the Woolworth Building from fifty-seven stories to eight, without any lose to the LEGO model.

In fact, I was in the camp who, before the London Tower Bridge images were released, wished that had been designed to accommodate minifigures – which is not to say minifig scale. I was hoping that the impression of London Tower Bridge was accomplished, including the small details, but that the arches were higher for minifig scale vehicles, footpaths for minifigures, etc.

I had never thought of city building in this manner (or any lego building for that matter). I have had a lot of buildings in the area where I live that I would love to build, but having them in the correct scale would cause them to be too large. So I have not built them. Now I can start by scaling them down and not loose the impression of the building style.

Thanks Brick Miner

Brick Miner! Welcome back :sweet: !

I don't even know where to begin with this model! All I can say, simply, is that I just love the detail. Te columns on the corners of the buildings are great! I love it when actual buildings are recreated in LEGO, they look so nice. I think you did an excellent job here :classic: Looks great on the layout.

To be as thorough as one should be, and to reply with the critical eye which one should, posting even a single message can be a huge endeavor!

This is so true :laugh:

True, as I said before, even the official modulars are scaled down versions and I don't mind the scale issues that much as long as the buildings look well-proportioned and somewhat match the scale of the rest of a layout. Scaling-down is necessary to even be able to represent it in bricks most of the time. Therefore, in the end it just comes down to personal preferences regarding the resulting scale I guess.

Agreed, but in a way I'm glad they didn't because it means I don't have to buy it. :laugh:

Furthermore, I think one could argue that there exists a bias to European stylized metropolitan cities when building in the Modular Series scale – since it favors intimate and personal street scene building over the sublime city populated with skyscrapers (New York, Chicago, Dubai, Hong Kong, etc.). However, I do not propose that this prejudice can honestly be reduced to the builder’s continental affiliation.

Personally, I'm really happy with that choice 'cause I like the atmosphere it brings about. The Fire Brigade was clearly inspired by U.S. (New York) architecture though. I don't mind mixing them up at all. They still look fine next to each other.

Outstanding!! An awesome building design but the thing I like most is the fountain etc outside it... excellent stuff!!

Fantastic; fudging the scales in LEGO is something that HAS to be done at some point when dealing with minifigures for obvious reasons, and it's my incapacity to think in those terms that limits my own ability to come up with creations like this on my own.

Not only the building fabulous but, as others have pointed out, the whole layout is. I'm simply envious of the space, for one. I dream of having a new house with a room large enough to build a display that large, if only I had the talent to fill it!

I disagree with some of the criticisms; for example, I don't think it's too white at all. The first floor and roof belie that complaint, and the "smoked" windows do an excellent job. With all the little details, even if white were a problem, there is nothing monotonous about it.

Fantastic work, Brick Miner, the job with LEGO couldn't have gone to a more worthy LEGO enthusiast.

Brickminer's LEGOPOLIS

Featured Model: Dan Burgess Building 16064

Hi everyone! Finally, I present the Dan Burgess Building 16064, with 1809 pieces:

16064_dan_burgess_building.jpg

This project was inspired (and very loosely based on) the Barnes and Thornburg building in Indianapolis. However, I could not find a good image featuring this building online, so instead I have provided an image of Monument Circle at the center of downtown Indianapolis - The Barnes and Thornburg building is in the center behind the Soldier and Sailors monument (the building with a tiny flag on top). The B&T building was the tallest building in Indianapolis (aside from the S&S Monument and the Indiana State Capitol building) from 1902 until 1962.

16064_dan_burgess_building_reference.jpg

Now, as with my Metropolitan Park Tower, I will present the digital renderings of the components of this model. The Dan Burgess building is composed of 3 unique levels.

16064_dan_burgess_building_level01.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_level02.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_level03.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_street.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_street_car.jpg

And here are the photos of the building in my home layout.

16064_dan_burgess_building_photo01.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_photo02.jpg

16064_dan_burgess_building_photo03.jpg

In this image you are seeing a sneak peek at some the the industrial facilities in my LEGOPOLIS!

- BrickMiner

Thank you for this update brick miner. I really like both of your featured buildings, it's really inspiring!! I used some of your building techniques to get my own buildings going :laugh: (for example the corners, I really like those)

Anyway, I'm following this thread and your city!

Thanks for the update, Brick Miner!

This latest MOC is excellent. :thumbup:

It is very accurate and realistic. I also like all of the details in this MOC, especially the car.

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~