ADHO15

LEGO Digital Designer Relay Community Build

When it's finished, I'll try to commemorate it with an appearance (hopefully tasteful) in Brick.

It's interesting to see what other people do with your creation. I'd bet Lego initially never thought about LDD being used for community AFOL builds or webcomic production.

I'm not sure either. To even better support community building, it would be a great feature if you could add comments within LDD. Maybe even call-outs ("look what I did here" or "what do you think, should this be in yellow").

I don't have a brickshelf account yet, ADHO so here's the file. lddrcb02.lxf.zip

I'd also like to say that maybe we should add a rule that says we can edit some things but give a limit of say 5 pieces that we can change (not delete). MAybe you can only move or change their color. This is so that if one of us encounters something that may be difficult to work around, it can be slightly altered. For example, I think steps inside the building waste space but could see no other way to come down from the door. What I wanted to do was bring the floor up to meet the door frame but that would leave the windows sunken into the floor. I went halfway and moved the floor one plate height. I wish I could have moved the windows by two plate heights to make it so they can be more level with a tiled floor. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Can't wait to see what this turns into. :classic:

That's great, CM. :classic:

Hmm. I'd rather keep the 'no editing' rule. It makes it more of a challenge for the next person.

I don't think it would look too bad having a tiled floor added now.

The rule says we should add 150 pieces on our turn. I know we should not go beyond the 150 limit, but how about adding less than 150? Is that allowed?

Yes, that's perfectly fine. I changed the rules when Superkalle made his part.

When it's finished, I'll try to commemorate it with an appearance (hopefully tasteful) in Brick.

It's interesting to see what other people do with your creation. I'd bet Lego initially never thought about LDD being used for community AFOL builds or webcomic production.

Good idea, Randal. :thumbup:

Hmm. I'd rather keep the 'no editing' rule. It makes it more of a challenge for the next person.

I don't think it would look too bad having a tiled floor added now.

Completely OK by me. As RCB moderator, you are the master :classic:

Don't look to me for tiled floors :laugh:

I butcher them. The one thing I'm truly awful at with houses.

Completely OK by me. As RCB moderator, you are the master :classic:

Indeed I am! :devil:

Steps one to five are now in the first post! Make sure you're keeping up with the design if you're participating soon!

Remember to watch your colours, people!

Make sure you use the correct colour for the chosen part.

To get warm/pearl gold, copy the colour of the goblet in DesignByMe mode and apply it to your part in Universe mode.

Simple "one-piece" pine-trees in a Cafe Corner style building :cry_sad:

ADHO15, you are the master, can someone down the line have the possibilty to exchange those with ones made from individual bricks? Or is it "once its planted, its there"?

Simple "one-piece" pine-trees in a Cafe Corner style building :cry_sad:

ADHO15, you are the master, can someone down the line have the possibilty to exchange those with ones made from individual bricks? Or is it "once its planted, its there"?

I'm afraid I must stick to the no-editing rule throughout. Certain exceptions would be unfair.

It may not be very 'CC-style', but it could still be good. I guess people need more practice at MOCing with LDD. Spending all your 150 parts on a detailed section of wall may not be very appealing to most people. :grin:

Well, I guess you're right ADHO15. We'll have to take this as a learning test too :classic:

(Sorry to whomever planted the tree, no offense meant)

I can't say I agree with all of the decisions so far either. I, for example, don't like the big wall pieces (*coughADHOcough*) :tongue: . I still can't wait to see the end result. I am wondering how tall this thing is gonna be since we're already almost to the third floor and we're not even halfway down the list of builders.

It probably is for the best to stick with the rules all the way through the first time. We're also learning so much about what this format of community building can do.

We're also learning so much about what this format of community building can do.

Agreed! This has been a one-of a kind exhibit of different skill sets of our forum members.

I've been keeping track of the changes and I have been both enlightened by the use of some techniques, and disappointed with the implementation of others (like the one-piece trees Superkalle mentioned default_sceptic.gif). While the house isn't exactly to CC-style standards any longer, the end result will be unique in its own way.

Another thing to bring up: ADHO15, thanks for being adamant with the rules. default_thumbup.gif While we can all nit-pick at the little things that we don't like about the brick selections of other builders, not having the ability to edit another person's work shows respect for their work and removes the stress of finding a "correct" way of building things. For builders further in the queue, it presents a fun challenge of working with the existing designs.

I'm excited on the end result. I'm near the end of the line, but patience is a virtue! default_satisfied.gif

It's definitely fun and interesting to watch so far! Looking at the model so far I've had ideas for things to try doing, and there have been parts I've been curious to see what others will do with. I have one particularly fun idea that I'll have to wait and see if I get the chance to try, but even if I don't - it's LEGO! There will always be more to build. :laugh:

I can't wait to see how it develops next!

Here's what I would do. I would make a modified proposed change and post it for evaluation. If your change is liked by the person who's stuff you're changing, then they give the yea or nay.

Also, you guys can use the parquet I designed for my pool hall if you want.

Here's what I would do. I would make a modified proposed change and post it for evaluation. If your change is liked by the person who's stuff you're changing, then they give the yea or nay.

That floor tiling is absolutely wonderful Randal! :wub:

Actually it gives me an idea:

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but maybe it's OK since this community build is somehow about ideas

It'd be cool is someone (*Ran..cough..dal* :cry_happy:) could start making a sample file of various pavement and floor patterns. Then another person can continoue work on that file. Each persons that adds patterns can put a special colored brick combination next to that pattern indicating he/she did it, so if someone decide to use it, they can credit the right person (or is this complicating things? - I guess each person can also create a LXF of their own - but that wouldn't be so much a community feel to it).

I can't say I agree with all of the decisions so far either. I, for example, don't like the big wall pieces (*coughADHOcough*) :tongue: . I still can't wait to see the end result. I am wondering how tall this thing is gonna be since we're already almost to the third floor and we're not even halfway down the list of builders.

It probably is for the best to stick with the rules all the way through the first time. We're also learning so much about what this format of community building can do.

Sorry! :tongue:

If you were that bothered by it, you could have made the walls you wanted on the next story! :grin:

Another thing to bring up: ADHO15, thanks for being adamant with the rules. default_thumbup.gif While we can all nit-pick at the little things that we don't like about the brick selections of other builders, not having the ability to edit another person's work shows respect for their work and removes the stress of finding a "correct" way of building things. For builders further in the queue, it presents a fun challenge of working with the existing designs.

I'm excited on the end result. I'm near the end of the line, but patience is a virtue! default_satisfied.gif

My thoughts exactly! Thank you, mr. lego_bildur! :sweet:

Why can't you all stick to the rules?! :laugh:

That just eliminates that person's efforts and style.

Somebody may use that design if they want, but no editing of existing floors will take place.

Okay I did my part, hope its not too bad :tongue:

I'm not sure if those tiles are meant to be printed or stickered in real life, but I can't find any trace of them so I left them. Things like the clock and the PC screen were applied to the wrong colour tiles, so be careful!

Actually it gives me an idea:

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but maybe it's OK since this community build is somehow about ideas

It'd be cool is someone (*Ran..cough..dal* :cry_happy:) could start making a sample file of various pavement and floor patterns. Then another person can continoue work on that file. Each persons that adds patterns can put a special colored brick combination next to that pattern indicating he/she did it, so if someone decide to use it, they can credit the right person (or is this complicating things? - I guess each person can also create a LXF of their own - but that wouldn't be so much a community feel to it).

A community floor build, you mean? Or building off existing floors?

I know you don't mean for this build, but having well-made floors from one person again stops the showing of different peoples' styles. Next, it'll be making well-made walls to use. This will leave little inside to work on and everything will look the same. One person might as just make a MOC.

A community floor build, you mean? Or building off existing floors?

I know you don't mean for this build, but having well-made floors from one person again stops the showing of different peoples' styles. Next, it'll be making well-made walls to use. This will leave little inside to work on and everything will look the same. One person might as just make a MOC.

Well, it was just an idea to create a template LXF-file with like a library of floor variants. It didn't acutally have anything to do with the RCB. Sorry for the confusion.

ADHO suggested that I call attention to a couple of things I left unfinished - the space between the stairs and the glass top coffee table - and the glass top coffee table.

the first one was just lazy oversight and will probably only take two or three plates to fix. the coffee table was left unfinished in case someone wanted to turn it into something else - an extra bed or a billiards table, etc - again it should not be piece intensive to top it off.

Edit: oh also, since chains are getting used for stair rails, someone really needs to put something to hold it in place

the other hole in the floor was to make a loft or indoor balcony effect, a feature I often find really cool in houses - though I have to admit it usually looks over a living area instead of a corner with the top of a fridge :blush: my bad

another thing I wanted to mention was in the concurrent freeform build, we're making each new contribution into a group - maybe not what we want for this, but if we group each floor, we can select floors obstructing our view and hide them with the hide tool

^also get in on that build- plenty of turns to take ;) - and it's a fun diversion

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Just noticed- I have to put the .lxf file into a .zip file first? Why not just upload the .lxf file to Brickshelf?

Looking good so far, can't wait to see pics of the next stages of the building. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Edited by buddy

Well, it was just an idea to create a template LXF-file with like a library of floor variants. It didn't acutally have anything to do with the RCB. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I see. :tongue:

ADHO suggested that I call attention to a couple of things I left unfinished - the space between the stairs and the glass top coffee table - and the glass top coffee table.

the first one was just lazy oversight and will probably only take two or three plates to fix. the coffee table was left unfinished in case someone wanted to turn it into something else - an extra bed or a billiards table, etc - again it should not be piece intensive to top it off.

Edit: oh also, since chains are getting used for stair rails, someone really needs to put something to hold it in place

the other hole in the floor was to make a loft or indoor balcony effect, a feature I often find really cool in houses - though I have to admit it usually looks over a living area instead of a corner with the top of a fridge :blush: my bad

Yes, if someone could finish these off, that'd be great. :classic:

Just noticed- I have to put the .lxf file into a .zip file first? Why not just upload the .lxf file to Brickshelf?

No, no. Just zip it if you attach it. You can upload it to Brickshelf normally.

Maybe I should have read this, before I created another floor :grin: Nevermind, I left it rather open so that others can add in a room and this floor can really become more of a home than a house.

EDIT-Link removed, I need to change a few things.

50 points to the person who can guess who the minifig in the room on the 3rd floor is?

Edited by Eskallon