I was about to ask that question here on this thread, but you've read my mind Brawl.

(Stil want to know if there is an easy way to put a minifig on a bicycle/trike/motorbike. Not just for regular two wheeled vehicles, but also for MOC's.

Second question: I'm having difficulty in finding the right wheels for the right rims. I've tried to make a suitable reference, but there are so many options. Does anyone have a wheel reference?

Second question: I'm having difficulty in finding the right wheels for the right rims. I've tried to make a suitable reference, but there are so many options. Does anyone have a wheel reference?

I've been hoarding something for this very purpose!

wheelsets_ldd_4.3.8b1264.png

LXF (LDD 4.3.8)

EDIT 20131115: Updated the LXF to include some examples of wheel covers.

EDIT 20140311: Added "4288 BALLOON TYRE", "44292 RIM Ø 30.4 X 30", moved some stuff about

Edited by Gnac

The minifig on bicycle template looks good, but if I want to replace the bike with a motorcycle, it doesn't fit. It should because the dimensions on a bicycle are the same as on a motorcycle.

Just out of curousity I removed the bicycle and added a new one, but that didn't snap on either. Also if I used the same bicycle as in the template. Probably something that can be added to the list of things they should add to LDD. An easy way to add minifigs to vehicles.

Here are two more for your template Gnac.

Note that they are actual connections in LDD. I suppose example usages would be for decoration or to attach a spare tire to a car.

post-4755-0-55130800-1381326185_thumb.jpg

Here are two more for your template Gnac.

Note that they are actual connections in LDD. I suppose example usages would be for decoration or to attach a spare tire to a car.

Wao, this is like one of those Easter Egg things! I don't think I could have found out about this even by accident.

Updated the file for all you lovely people.

Thank you all for the biker fig and the wheels!

I just made a minifig "grabbing" a tile:

grab.png

The lxf file

Disclaimer: The minifig doesn't actually "holds" the tile (the connected selection tool will ignore it), it just floats in its hand. But the illusion is perfect I guess.

I've seen that the decorations file uses brickset 835.3, that is very old.

Any chance to see an updated decorations file?

I've seen that the decorations file uses brickset 835.3, that is very old.

Any chance to see an updated decorations file?

Sorry! I've been meaning to get around to updating my decorations file for a long time, but unfortunately since it has gone several versions without a full update, I do not actually know how many decorations are missing. I'll basically have to generate each decoration, one by one, from start to finish. And I am not looking forward to that one bit.

Honestly, creating these reference files was much easier when I started out than several updates later. I am no longer on the same computer I used to generate these files in the first place, and my current computer (a Mac) is not capable of running LDD Manager. Even generating just the NEW decorations is tedious enough work, and you may remember that people had to point out decorations that I missed multiple times even with such a smaller workload.

If somebody else wants to create their own up-to-date and comprehensive decorations reference file I would be very grateful to have that terrible load off my shoulders, possibly for good. If not, I suppose I will get around to it eventually, but I can't promise to make it a top priority. There are too many real-life priorities stressing me out these days, and I usually need my "LEGO time" to be a source of relief, not an additional source of stress.

Thanks Aanchir for the answer.

I understand perfectly what you mean. :classic:

I thought you use some kind of automatic mode, that allows you to obtain the result without wasting too much time. But maybe an explanation on methods you used to create the file could help other willing users to make a faster and accurate work.

Could you list the steps necessary to create the file?

Edited by Calabar

Isn't there a way to generate it automaticly? I'm thinking about bbqqq's experiments with Excel and file generation?

Thanks Aanchir for the answer.

I understand perfectly what you mean. :classic:

I thought you use some kind of automatic mode, that allows you to obtain the result without wasting too much time. But maybe an explanation on methods you used to create the file could help other willing users to make a faster and accurate work.

Could you list the steps necessary to create the file?

Haha, no, I'm not good enough with computers to come up with a way to do this automatically. First I open the LXF file in LDD and generate all the parts that I want to decorate. Then I have to open up the decorations file as an image file in one window, and the LXFML as a text file in another. I find the Design IDs that need decorations in the LXFML, and the decoration IDs for the correct decorations in the image file. And then I type out the Decoration IDs in the correct decoration fields in the LXFML.

This stage is one of the most tedious, as if a part has multiple decoration fields, there's no obvious way to know which field corresponds to which surface on the part itself. Usually I just have to use trial-and-error if it's a part I'm not familiar with, plugging in a decoration ID and then opening the LXFML in LEGO Digital Designer so I can see what the resulting part looks like. But eventually you get the hang of doing this for certain parts like minifigure heads (in which the sequence is front, back, top) or torsos (front, back). Legs are tricky because the hip piece has two decoration surfaces and the leg pieces each have three, so that's eight surfaces to keep track of.

In the past, I used to use an Excel spreadsheet to make a list of decorations, the corresponding LDD part numbers, and the corresponding Bricklink part numbers for the final decorated part. But this was even more tedious, as in between updates I had to color-code things according to which parts had all the correct decorations, which decorated parts were missing one or more decorations, which parts lacked decoration surfaces and thus couldn't be decorated correctly, and which decorations had bugs, etc. And these had to be checked and updated with each update. As I started to fall behind this became way too complex to keep up with — it was hard enough keeping track of which decorations were new in the latest update, let alone which decoration surfaces had been added or which previous decorations had been corrected or removed.

I don't know if there's any way to streamline this process. I'm sure that it'd be easier for the actual guys programming these decorations into LDD to do it since they have the database info the decorations CAME from and don't have to look up which decorations belong to which parts just from photographs and fan-created databases, but I guess they have other priorities and are counting on the users to figure it out.

One other thing — if someone else is willing to do this, I would still be available to do an error-check at the end, since recognizing errors is far less time-consuming than matching up the decorations in the first place.

Thanks again!

I hoped in something more... automated! :sadnew:

Maybe bbqqq, that loves to play with lxfml file, could find a good solution, starting from the conversion list of the LDD Manager.

He already created an lxf file containing all the parts that contains surfaces that can be decorated, maybe the step from there is not too long.

bbqqq, do you read me? :grin:

Haha, no, I'm not good enough with computers to come up with a way to do this automatically. First I open the LXF file in LDD and generate all the parts that I want to decorate. Then I have to open up the decorations file as an image file in one window, and the LXFML as a text file in another. I find the Design IDs that need decorations in the LXFML, and the decoration IDs for the correct decorations in the image file. And then I type out the Decoration IDs in the correct decoration fields in the LXFML.

This stage is one of the most tedious, as if a part has multiple decoration fields, there's no obvious way to know which field corresponds to which surface on the part itself. Usually I just have to use trial-and-error if it's a part I'm not familiar with, plugging in a decoration ID and then opening the LXFML in LEGO Digital Designer so I can see what the resulting part looks like. But eventually you get the hang of doing this for certain parts like minifigure heads (in which the sequence is front, back, top) or torsos (front, back). Legs are tricky because the hip piece has two decoration surfaces and the leg pieces each have three, so that's eight surfaces to keep track of.

In the past, I used to use an Excel spreadsheet to make a list of decorations, the corresponding LDD part numbers, and the corresponding Bricklink part numbers for the final decorated part. But this was even more tedious, as in between updates I had to color-code things according to which parts had all the correct decorations, which decorated parts were missing one or more decorations, which parts lacked decoration surfaces and thus couldn't be decorated correctly, and which decorations had bugs, etc. And these had to be checked and updated with each update. As I started to fall behind this became way too complex to keep up with — it was hard enough keeping track of which decorations were new in the latest update, let alone which decoration surfaces had been added or which previous decorations had been corrected or removed.

I don't know if there's any way to streamline this process. I'm sure that it'd be easier for the actual guys programming these decorations into LDD to do it since they have the database info the decorations CAME from and don't have to look up which decorations belong to which parts just from photographs and fan-created databases, but I guess they have other priorities and are counting on the users to figure it out.

One other thing — if someone else is willing to do this, I would still be available to do an error-check at the end, since recognizing errors is far less time-consuming than matching up the decorations in the first place.

Jesus, I knew it took long but this is even longer than I thought ... Calabar is right. Things would be so much easier with an automated system! If only ... Anyway How many decorations have you actually done? I know I'll sound snobbish and lazy saying this, but have you actually got a .lxf with the decorations you've done on it that you could upload here? I'd be so appreciatif, it would really help out! But if not, it's ok, I understand how much time it takes ...

Thanks again!

I hoped in something more... automated! :sadnew:

Maybe bbqqq, that loves to play with lxfml file, could find a good solution, starting from the conversion list of the LDD Manager.

He already created an lxf file containing all the parts that contains surfaces that can be decorated, maybe the step from there is not too long.

bbqqq, do you read me? :grin:

About this LXF file: (generate by LDD manager)(Not update to brick ver.1264 yet.)

http://www.eurobrick...9

LXF: http://www.brickshel...d_map_faces.lxf

300+ multi-colors/decorate-able parts. organize by parts contain mapping surface #1 to #8 as Group 1 to 8.

500+ multi-colors/decorate-able surface. Edit LXFML to apply any of 1000+ LDD decors or you own custom decors render with LDD2Povray, to apply onto any of 500+ surface.

For complete 1500+ decors palette of any decor-able bricks (for #1 mapping surface only, but same trick can apply to #2-#8).

Use this file

LXF: http://www.brickshel..._438_decors.lxf

http://www.eurobrick...9

as user bricks palette, edit its lxfml to replace-all brick id to any decor-able brick you want.

UserPalettes usage:

[Windows_key] + [R] -> type "appdata" -> [Enter_key]

Copy the LXF/LXFML to C:\Users\ YOUROWN \AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\UserPalettes

(Pull down menu-> View -> New Themes -> LDD.)

Bottom left, third icon -> Filter bricks by boxes -> your LXF.

12959954714_beb2b1e366_b.jpg

sadsa by Nachapon S., on Flickr

12959824975_0def2e896e_b.jpg

Cadsfdsfpture by Nachapon S., on Flickr

11927211714_e88d0fa6ec.jpg

SBOARD by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

@bbqqq

Thanks for the files, very useful.

Anyway the goal of the request was to create a palette containing the right decorations applied to the right bricks.

Surely that require much more work, but the not up-to-date lxf file of Aanchir in the first page could be a good start.

Probably the best way is to create a text file that couple bricks and decorations, and a script that generate the lxf file starting from it. Do you think you are able to create and share this script?

PS: it seems It is not possible to access your flickr page without some kind of login. Could you direct link the original size image too?

@bbqqq

Thanks for the files, very useful.

Anyway the goal of the request was to create a palette containing the right decorations applied to the right bricks.

Surely that require much more work, but the not up-to-date lxf file of Aanchir in the first page could be a good start.

Probably the best way is to create a text file that couple bricks and decorations, and a script that generate the lxf file starting from it. Do you think you are able to create and share this script?

PS: it seems It is not possible to access your flickr page without some kind of login. Could you direct link the original size image too?

Same here,

like I'd said, Aanchir has been working on this for ages. He might have loads of decorations in LDD. Thanks anyway though ... I definitely agree with Calabar. What do you mean by the first page one of Aanchir though?

P.S. Do any of you have any .lxf with all the decorations you've gathered? I'd be interested. Also if you know any other links with decoration lxf. I will try in the meantime modifying the lxfml ...

Edited by Zorkalorp

I started a reference file once. It has a lot of decorations (some grouped) and some other usefull things for LDD.

Link to lxf.

Edited by Stephan

LDD decor database WIP, for sort / filter / minfig auto (random/condition) generator tool.

The decor images can be capture using LDD2Povray custom decorations tab feature, use LXF file with all decors on post#70.

Descriptions from bricklink.com. 1500+ Images batch insert use Excel image assistant software.

LDD search function support search bricks by name/design#/part#.

LDD search function also support search bricks by decor codes.(not extended theme/mode)

12979913523_50daa364cd_b.jpg

Lego LDD decor database for minifig (random) generator, use bricklink.com by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq