Sign in to follow this  
Duke

The Admiralty, Whitehall

I was looking through some reference books of 18th/19th Century naval life and came across this picture of the old Admiralty builing in Whitehall, now used as government offices:

Admiraliteit_london_1830.jpg

I really liked the neoclassical look and so I decided to build my own interpretation of it. Instead of using white and red brick, i've used white a grey. I've also condensed the front wall slightly and only displayed the middle entrance to the building. Anyway, enough talking.

Here is the overview picture:

dsc01095.jpg

The streets outside are busy, with gentlemen, naval officers, messengers and even a press gang chasing an unlucky man. Can you spot the french spy?

dsc01104.jpg

dsc01106.jpg

dsc01105.jpg

Inside, an admiral stands on the steps beneath the entrance, marked by an anchor.

dsc01099.jpg

Marines parade to the left

dsc01102.jpg

White a boy brings a post-captain his horse

dsc01109.jpg

A few more random shots:

dsc01107.jpg

dsc01097.jpg

dsc01096.jpg

Hope you liked it as it was great fun to build, except maybe laying all those hundreds of 1x1 round plates! :pir-classic:

WOW!!! Very nice build, it looks very busy and alive, I love it!!

The anchor technique is pretty ingenious, I love how it's incorporated in the build!!!

Pirate

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbup:

Your flag looks like its peeling off

Unfortunately, that's just the way it's attached with the tabs taped a little way down the banner.

That looks like a decent Admiralty to me!

I really like the architecture you've put into this place. Although the building is a bit plain, the wall looks great.

Other windows would add more detail and realism to the main building, as they look a bit bare and such large glass surfaces were not used in that time.

The anchor on the building really stands out, and is build on a very smart way. :thumbup:

I only would like to have a close-up from the Admiral, it looks like a great decal!

The anchor on the building really stands out, and is build on a very smart way. :thumbup:

Agreed! The anchor is clever.

I also like the cannons there in front of the building.

But although the real building might be quite plain too, I would give this a bit more detail.

For example some kind of 'lattice works' in the windows, or some statues on the entrance like on the picture.

Otherwise it's a very nice building, with a lovely blackcoat army :pir-classic:

Awesome work. I love it when I get to see a picture so I know what to expect and then get blown away by how much life got added into the scene. I would rather look at your creation than the original. There is so much feeling involved. I really like it, it tells so many little stories.

The guy whit the croissant is the french spy, but you should have putted Admiral Croissants face on him :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, to the MOC. Great building Duke, i love those minifigs and those custom Blackcoats are really great!

Excellent job whit this

Captain Becker

I Think this will feel at home on the classic-pirates.com front-page.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

That looks like a decent Admiralty to me!

I really like the architecture you've put into this place. Although the building is a bit plain, the wall looks great.

Other windows would add more detail and realism to the main building, as they look a bit bare and such large glass surfaces were not used in that time.

I only would like to have a close-up from the Admiral, it looks like a great decal!

Thanks for your comments, I understand your concerns about the plainness of the building. The front wall was a lot more interesting to build but I was a bit stuck for techniques on the back wall. Similarly not sure on how to do nice looking windows with lattice work.

The decal is a recoloured one from the torso library here.

amnzr3.png

I changed the coat to black and the yellow to gold.

Agreed! The anchor is clever.

I also like the cannons there in front of the building.

But although the real building might be quite plain too, I would give this a bit more detail.

For example some kind of 'lattice works' in the windows, or some statues on the entrance like on the picture.

Otherwise it's a very nice building, with a lovely blackcoat army :pir-classic:

Thanks :). I'll try and figure out a solution for the windows and detail on the building.

Awesome work. I love it when I get to see a picture so I know what to expect and then get blown away by how much life got added into the scene. I would rather look at your creation than the original. There is so much feeling involved. I really like it, it tells so many little stories.

Thanks, it means a lot to say you'd rather look at it than the original!

Awesome, great building/fassade. Are you planning to construct the building behind the fassade?

Hi, I had originally planned the whole building.. but this turned out to be quite big in itself. I don't think I will attach any more to this MOC but I may have a go at building a seperate interior scene at another time.

Edited by Duke

Really nice work with this Duke! :pir-classic:

That anchor is so simple, but it looks outstanding.I've never seen one like that before. The overall shaping of the building is great as well.

What sort of windows did you have in mind? Maybe we can help.

Very nice MOC, Duke, Whitehall always makes me think of a very busy, yet luxury place with tons of high officers and admirals, Lord-Admiral Nelson to begin with!

What's Admiral Crossaint doing there in disguise :pir_laugh2: ?

An outstanding MOC, Duke! :thumbup:

My favourite part has got to be the brick-built anchor, it is perfect. Overall a very impressive MOC.

Well done. :pir-sweet:

~buddy~

The guy whit the croissant is the french spy, but you should have putted Admiral Croissants face on him :pir_laugh2:

Of course not! Everyone would recognize me!

What's Admiral Crossaint doing there in disguise :pir_laugh2: ?

I'm earning money for being a spy whilst all I do is (of course) just eating croissants =)

Of course not! Everyone would recognize me!

I'm earning money for being a spy whilst all I do is (of course) just eating croissants =)

I'm laughing out loud at this, and I'm not even really sure why.