Legostein

MINI Rebel Snowspeeder (T-47 Airspeeder)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody!

It's my pleasure to share a new mini model with you today. :classic:

One of the last missing vehicles from the Original Trilogy in my collection is the Rebel Snowspeeder, which probably got its name due to its use by Rebel Alliance during their stay on the ice planet Hoth. It saw major action during the Battle of Hoth against Imperial Forces. The speeder itself is a modification by Rebel Alliance Technicians of the T-47 airspeeder to cold climate. Several other versions exist, for example for dry desert or moistly swamp climate. :classic:

I really like the official micro version of the Snowspeeder from 2003. As a fact of respect to that unique building technique, I came up with a completely different and also unique technique for this version of the Snowspeeder which is slightly wider (being 7 studs in width) than the official version. This, however, made construction difficult, as you have to attach two angled wings around a one-stud-wide main body. The construction below the wings is asymmetric, something I usually try to avoid, but it works decently as you cannot spot it. To see the secret you have to look at it from the bottom or study the instructions. :classic:

EDIT: Images have been updated. Thanks for your input!

t-47-airspeeder-1.jpg

t-47-airspeeder-2.jpg

t-47-airspeeder-3.jpg

t-47-airspeeder-4.jpg

t-47-airspeeder-5.jpg

EDIT: Images have been updated. Thanks for your input!

That's all for now. Thank you for your interest and stepping by! Have a great week! :classic:

~ Christopher

One word - intense. I have the official lego version but yours is loads better :thumbup:. Thanks for giving us instuctions. I would quite like to make one myself, if you dont mind of course :tongue:.

Thanks, CB

Great work as always Legostein. It's nice to see you still achieved the slightly angled wings of the snowspeeder even in mini-scale. Very clever indeed. :thumbup:

Looks very good Legostein. Much better than the 4486 version.

I'd have to look at yours side by side with 8029 (set 8029 was never officially released, as far as I know) to tell which one is better. I have a hunch that 8029 is, but it also is in a larger MINI scale which allows for more detail. Yours is fanatastic for it's size.

Hello again,

and thank you for the friendly comments! :classic:

It's indeed a compromise between the scales of the two official models, and thus there are no collisions. :classic:

Shouldn't the cooling fins in back be black?

First, they should be vertical, not horizontal as in my model. Second, no they're not necessarily black. It's an illusion because the gaps between the fins are so deep that they appear to be black. See here for example (Battle of Hoth). Call it artistic freedom. :wink:

PS @ gotoAndLego: A friendly emoticon or 'hello' is much appreciated as it helps me to interpret posts better, rather than just bolting in a blame. :wink:

Edited by Legostein

First, they should be vertical, not horizontal as in my model. Second, no they're not necessarily black. It's an illusion because the gaps between the fins are so deep that they appear to be black. See here for example (Battle of Hoth). Call it artistic freedom. :wink:

PS @ gotoAndLego: A friendly emoticon or 'hello' is much appreciated as it helps me to interpret posts better, rather than just bolting in a blame. :wink:

I respect and like your work, and honestly didn't think my post was antagonistic. For some reason I always thought they were black, but you are obviously correct in regards to the color. I'm never going to be too OCD about MOC colors as my CPA features colors not in the movie.

:D

The construction below the wings is asymmetric, something I usually try to avoid, but it works decently as you cannot spot it. To see the secret you have to look at it from the bottom or study the instructions. :classic:

t-47-airspeeder-5.jpg

I can see it in this pic. :grin:

The two wings both use a Plate 1x2 with Handle Type 2, but since the middle section is only 1-wide, you had to use one 1x1 clip in front facing right and one in back facing left. :classic: Am I correct?

Edited by Brickdoctor

Hello again!

This is going to be a real discussion now. That's great! :classic:

I respect and like your work, and honestly didn't think my post was antagonistic. For some reason I always thought they were black, but you are obviously correct in regards to the color. I'm never going to be too OCD about MOC colors as my CPA features colors not in the movie.

:D

Yeah, okay, I understand now. :classic:

I can see it in this pic. :grin:

The two wings both use a Plate 1x2 with Handle Type 2, but since the middle section is only 1-wide, you had to use one 1x1 clip in front facing right and one in back facing left. :classic: Am I correct?

Yes you are absolutely correct. But doesn't it work out nicely? :wink: It only works because of the new handle plates. :classic: They let you attach two clip plates without any gap.

Very nice, as usual, but I think there is too much orange.

Ugh, yeah. Caught me. :blush: It's true. Let me share a miniature building trick with all of you now. A 2x5 wedge plate would have been optimal. Because there's a slight gap bewteen the two wings. To realize this with the methods given, I had to attach something in front of the wedge plates to induce a gap between the wings. Door rail plates were one of the few possibilities. Now why in orange? Well, it's a bit tricky to explain.

It's manipulating the eyes. At least it works for me. Let me explain further. If the door rails plates are grey they look like a naturtal extension to the wings. This then gives the wings an odd look, because they suddenly go straight forwards again instead of narrowing further. If you now use a completely different colour, like orange, they don't look like a natural part of the wings, and so you only see the narrowing of the wings to the front. As well as the gap between them.

I know it's a weak explanation. You could also say 'I thought it looked better that way'. I am aware of the "cheating", :blush: and it makes me feel bad. Almost. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Love it. It's just amazing how you make them look perfectly to scale. The orange was a good choice. Thanks for the instructions too!!

Let me share a miniature building trick with all of you now. A 2x5 wedge plate would have been optimal. Because there's a slight gap bewteen the two wings. To realize this with the methods given, I had to attach something in front of the wedge plates to induce a gap between the wings. Door rail plates were one of the few possibilities. Now why in orange? Well, it's a bit tricky to explain.

It's manipulating the eyes. At least it works for me. Let me explain further. If the door rails plates are grey they look like a naturtal extension to the wings. This then gives the wings an odd look, because they suddenly go straight forwards again instead of narrowing further. If you now use a completely different colour, like orange, they don't look like a natural part of the wings, and so you only see the narrowing of the wings to the front. As well as the gap between them.

Why not just use a 1x2 plate in grey behind the wedge plates? The 'real' T-47 as a straight edge there.

754px-Rebel_Snowspeeder.jpg

It lookes like is bigger brother from Lego.

But if I would you I would't use so much orange in the front.

Why not just use a 1x2 plate in grey behind the wedge plates?

Yes, indeed. Why not. Thank you. :classic:

Hello again!

I updated the model according to your wishes. Orange has been removed, too. Thanks everyone for the constructive input. New images are online in the topic starter post. Instructions will be online as soon as moderated by BrickShelf. If you don't want to wait, click the homepage link in my signature to grab them. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Great improvement! I like that you put the door plates back 1 place, so now it looks like a gradual slope :thumbup:

I actually prefer the original, it wasn't so bland.

It would be interesting to see if you could pull off doing a, the invisible hand, or the malevolence.

It would be interesting to see if you could pull off doing a, the invisible hand, or the malevolence.

But the new one is more accurate. :classic:

Great work Legostein, looks really good. :thumbup:

Hello!

I am sorry that you don't like the updated version that much. Therefore, I prepared a special file with the original model - images and instructions - for you and all who liked the more orange version better. Click here to download the original version :classic:

To answer your question, the Malevolence is still to be build, that's right. I will do my best when I get inspired. :classic: Regarding the Invisible Hand, it is already available here: Separatist Capital Ships :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Excellent as always, Legostein ! Also nice to be reminded of your superb "Invisible Hand' mini in a subsequent post.

I think this is better than the 'official' version - LEGO should get you to design the official minis.....

:-)

Dr. D.